Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

STR was insured (thankfully). You were ensured (unsuccessfully).

I'm just gonna blame my phone for that because that's what we do these days.

Also Ensure is great for hangovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yeah, email that video to the truck company. You shouldn't even have to issue any threats (or promises.) They'll figure it out.
loving idiot truck driver. Even if you don't get money, I'd want to see that guy's life hosed over. Then again, he's already driving a trash truck...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Truck company supposedly had a bunch of cameras on their truck. They don't need my video, and I won't be talking to them any further.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Looks like I'm having a better day than STR. I've always liked the gold 15" thirdgen wheels, so I've been keeping an eye out for a nice set for a good price. Found some and just got some new white-letter tires put on; would you believe that my unassuming family sedan can fit 255s no problem? I'm not complaining.

I had 215s on generic white steelies before, so this is a welcome change.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

I'm just gonna blame my phone for that because that's what we do these days Indiana.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

Looks like I'm having a better day than STR. I've always liked the gold 15" thirdgen wheels, so I've been keeping an eye out for a nice set for a good price. Found some and just got some new white-letter tires put on; would you believe that my unassuming family sedan can fit 255s no problem? I'm not complaining.

:hellyeah:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Raluek posted:

That looks awesome :)

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
I'm looking forward to the day I can say something in this thread besides "repair"

I love my 90 corvette but there's nothing like another $1000 repair bill to make me question my sanity.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Chaosfirev posted:

I'm looking forward to the day I can say something in this thread besides "repair"

I love my 90 corvette but there's nothing like another $1000 repair bill to make me question my sanity.

At least yours breaks by itself.

I managed to get mine to slip off a stand, punch a hole through the fender liner and take out a clutch line to the tune of $600 in parts :downs:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

I like this, but the rust spot is triggering me badly.

I love that my Cutlass has wider arches than an equivalent Chevelle. I've got 275/40-17 on 17x8 wheels all around, and could stuff more under there.

That's a 255/60-15 on the back on an Olds 15x7" Rallye II wheel.

All 4 Torq-Thrust IIs installed:

edit: old pictures, BTW. It looks slightly better now (mostly flat black, and the rear side glass is reinstalled), but now the transmission refuses to trans.

Bajaha posted:

At least yours breaks by itself.

I managed to get mine to slip off a stand, punch a hole through the fender liner and take out a clutch line to the tune of $600 in parts :downs:

Ouch. Nothing like figuratively punching yourself in the dick.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

I love everything about this

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Oh man, the rest of my car looks like rear end but the freshly painted rims are a big step forward from what used to be on there. Got all four rims with brand-spanking-new tires from Pick-n-Pull for $100. Nice surprise.
check out my sikk JDM mirrors yo

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Found a zip-tie holding the choke to prevent it from moving on the Liteace's carb. Why? Well the heat cable was unplugged, of course. Why? Well, when you plug it in the wiring harness hates it and while the choke will heat correctly and function just fine the dashboard throws a hosed-up fit with half the warning lights on and the other half only sorta dimly on. Now I know why they had it unplugged. Tapped into another wire to feed the coil bypassing whatever the loom hates. Then I had to adjust the carb because it was all hosed up.

Then we took it grocery shopping for the first time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Achtane posted:

Oh man, the rest of my car looks like rear end but the freshly painted rims are a big step forward from what used to be on there. Got all four rims with brand-spanking-new tires from Pick-n-Pull for $100. Nice surprise.
check out my sikk JDM mirrors yo

I love your lovely car.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I like this, but the rust spot is triggering me badly.

I love that my Cutlass has wider arches than an equivalent Chevelle. I've got 275/40-17 on 17x8 wheels all around, and could stuff more under there.

Yeah some doofus kicked the door some years ago, and evidently there was about 1/16" of bondo over the whole door cause pieces chunked off. So I gotta scrape the rest off and see what's under there... one of these days. Nice Cutty, though. I feel like I've said this to you before, but I was under the impression that the A-bodies lost the vent windows after 1968.

Terrible Robot posted:

I love everything about this

Good thing you can't see the other side, because despite the door this is actually the good side

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I love your lovely car.

Thanks, friend. I do too.
One day it will have a cool two-tone paint job. One day when I get an air compressor.
I suppose replacing the clutch is the next to-do, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Haven't received the insurance check yet, but I double checked with my claims adjuster - he said I'm good to go on starting to fix the Saturd.

Got a new tire mounted on the "pretty hosed up but apparently straight" wheel. Discount Tire verified the wheel is still straight. Did some little poo poo involving zip ties (including chucking the broken headlight kind of into its former home) to make it look driveable (my apt reserves the right to tow "non-running" vehicles, and the lease broadly states that may include vehicles that don't appear to be driveable), moved it a few parking spaces over.

I figure I have a couple of hours of work to make it legally drivable again (working lights, missing mirror, and a dragging bumper are all that keeps it from that - the harness going to the LF light is shredded). Going to get a mirror, headlight, headlight bucket, corner light, and headlight pigtail tomorrow, just so I can make it roadworthy. It'll be rolling probable cause until I track down a fender and bumper that match. Probably a day of work to make it look like nothing happened, once I have the parts. Just going to do the bare minimum to make it legal until the insurance check is handed to me; i only have the rental until Monday. At least it's unlimited mileage.

(liquid is from a leaking water main to my building that management swears is a broken sprinkler head, not my car)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 6, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do as much of the repairs in zip ties as possible.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Some dickhead stole one of the plastic covers of my foglights from my parked car. Why, and why does VW charge 40 bucks for it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Do as much of the repairs in zip ties as possible.

Yeah given that all of this poo poo is held together with plastic push pins, that's the plan for anything not easily visible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah given that all of this poo poo is held together with plastic push pins, that's the plan for anything not easily visible.

Nooooo.

Buy random panels off other Saturns, cut the pieces you need out of them and zip tie them all together.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't want to drive a rolling search warrant, thank you good sir.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Some dickhead stole one of the plastic covers of my foglights from my parked car. Why, and why does VW charge 40 bucks for it?

I feel like you just answered your own question :)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Grakkus posted:

VW’s clever plan to make up all the money spent buying back diesels: hire a bunch of dudes to run around the country stealing single foglight covers.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Grakkus posted:

Yep. You might even be able to find a 'replacement' on craigslist soon for less than the $40 :v:.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SEKCobra posted:

You answered your own question

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I don't want to drive a rolling search warrant, thank you good sir.

Already looks like any TX cop would stop the Saturn for probable cause regarding looking like a drunk driver =p
I know you're just waiting for the insurance check, but your dedication to preserving the 200k mi. + Saturd is remarkable. It's hilarious and very endearing. I envy your automotive resolve!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Put all the groceries in the back, pop the clutch and do a wheelie.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Had to trade in my 2016 Mazda3 Sport for a 2018 Mazda3 Touring due to some ex-spouse related drama. She totaled her 2016 Toyota Rav4, and couldn't get a car loan as long as her name was still on my 2016's loan. I couldn't afford to refinance because I didn't have enough equity, but for some reason they had no problem giving me a brand new loan for a newer car on basically the same payments. Funny how that works.

The first thing I did when checking it out, before even test driving it, was to check the infotainment version number. Fortunately it was just old enough to still be supported by Mazda Tweaks' All-in-One Installer. I wasn't about to buy a new car if I couldn't get my Android Auto fix, and I don't trust Mazda to actually have it out in the fall like "promised."

After all the paperwork was done and the salesmen was doing the final checklist on the car before driving it off the lot, I stuck my USB stick preloaded with my tweaks of choice. Blew the salesmen's mind. Apparently no one has ever done that to one of their cars before, and he had no idea it was even possible. Within 10 minutes all my tweaks were installed, and Android Auto was up and running.

I'm such a nerd.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

Yeah some doofus kicked the door some years ago, and evidently there was about 1/16" of bondo over the whole door cause pieces chunked off. So I gotta scrape the rest off and see what's under there... one of these days. Nice Cutty, though. I feel like I've said this to you before, but I was under the impression that the A-bodies lost the vent windows after 1968.
Thanks. One day it will be... better. It'll never be a show car, 'cuz then I would be afraid to drive it.
You're almost right on the vent windows. 90-something percent of '69 and later A-bodies are hardtops ("Holiday coupe" in Olds-speak.) Mine is a "Sports Coupe", the cheaper body style, frequently found as a base model F-85. A few were trimmed up as Cutlass "S" models, though. According to my numbers, there are only about 3500 1970 Sports Coupes made, so it's actually pretty rare, though not particularly desirable beyond being a 1970 A-body with a V8, factory air, and factory FE3 suspension.

quote:

Good thing you can't see the other side, because despite the door this is actually the good side

Ditto.
3 weeks after I bought it, this happened:

A whole new front end from an Abilene junk yard, and it was back to this:

And then some twit in a K5 blazer just barely caught my rear corner:

That dent is still there, because that's a cut it off and replace it job. I have a donor car (http://wright-here.net/gallery/v/kevin/olds/71coupe/) but I alsmost hate to cut it up, as it's in pretty good shape, too. I've made my money back on it, though, selling the driver's door and one front fender to save another Cutlass that got hit. I'd just use that whole body, but it's a Holiday Coupe, and a '71.
You can probably tell from the fact that those photos up there are scanned actual photos that it's been a long time since that accident. Pretty much 20 years.
I wish I could just dump like $20K into it.

More photos here http://www.wright-here.net/cars/olds/snoopy_pics.html and here http://wright-here.net/gallery/v/kevin/olds/ if anyone is interested.
And yes, the car is named Snoopy. Somehow, I don't have a good photo of it online, but this is on the rear:

Which, if you know your Oldsmobile muscle lore, is Peanuts' Snoopy dressed up as "Dr. Olds", the mad scientist responsible for creating the Olds "W-machines" performance packages.

edit: You can kinda make it out in this pic:

edit 2: Man, I really like the angle on that pic.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 6, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Nooooo.

Buy random panels off other Saturns, cut the pieces you need out of them and zip tie them all together.

gently caress yes. Frankenstein look.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

What happened to the paint in the meantime? Is that just what 20+ years of Texas sun does to paint?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Grakkus posted:

What happened to the paint in the meantime? Is that just what 20+ years of Texas sun does to paint?

Cheap-rear end "Car Painters" (like Maaco) single stage paint job on most of the car, and a "dad" paint job on the front end was fine, except that the original paint on that front end was cracked from Amarillo sun, and the new paint eventually settled into it. The only way to fix cracked paint is to sand it down to the sheet metal, which I have done. Fixing hail dents along the way, too.

Some of the bodywork:
http://wright-here.net/gallery/v/kevin/olds/bodywork/

edit: fuuuuuck. Now I need to get this thing moving again. I miss it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i spent several hours yesterday trying and failing to put the gas tank back in my aw11 after pulling the old fuel pump, confirming it was bad and swapping in a new one. there is a fuel line that is so impossible to see that i did not even see it until i had the tank out and i have absolutely no idea how to get to it to re-attach it to the tank.

i am so close to having this thing running for the first time in 6 years and was really really hoping to have it fired up yesterday. 4 and a half hours under the car loving around with fuel lines before running out of strength and daylight and having to call it quits. argh.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've always laughed at those pictures of really bad alarm or stereo installs. This is karma. I deserve this pain.

That's the moneyshot. First bit of cut harness I've found, and I have a whooole lot more digging to do. Car doesn't run, zero fuel pump action. I was about to test voltage at the inertia cutoff switch and found the horror lurking. It's potentially unrelated but I wanted to explore what happened to the harness before I started loving with the actual problem in case they're related.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What kind of dykes are those?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Those look like harbor freight ones. They're basically knockoffs of the snapon 312cp set I have but with clunkier fabrication and duller edges.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Cheap-rear end "Car Painters" (like Maaco) single stage paint job on most of the car, and a "dad" paint job on the front end was fine, except that the original paint on that front end was cracked from Amarillo sun, and the new paint eventually settled into it. The only way to fix cracked paint is to sand it down to the sheet metal, which I have done. Fixing hail dents along the way, too.

Some of the bodywork:
http://wright-here.net/gallery/v/kevin/olds/bodywork/

edit: fuuuuuck. Now I need to get this thing moving again. I miss it.

If you don't post more about this car, I'm getting on a plane and finishing it for you.

How far can it launch smoking tire rubber into the dining room of a Carl's Jr? Actually you know what, I'll find out myself.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hypnolobster posted:

I've always laughed at those pictures of really bad alarm or stereo installs. This is karma. I deserve this pain.

That's the moneyshot. First bit of cut harness I've found, and I have a whooole lot more digging to do. Car doesn't run, zero fuel pump action. I was about to test voltage at the inertia cutoff switch and found the horror lurking. It's potentially unrelated but I wanted to explore what happened to the harness before I started loving with the actual problem in case they're related.

Jesus Christ the horror.

I spent all day using one of those Mother's washable claybar pad things scrubbing 27 years of stuff off the white paint off the Land Cruiser.

I am wondering what the stereotype is for Land Cruiser owners in Japan because with these two and the Rugger washing your car is something these people seam to never do, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You're not supposed to bathe a 40 or a 70 in anything except for rivers and mudholes.