Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The 05 WRX I just put back together sounds horrible. Does this sound like valve lash? I put everything back to where it came from, valve, lifter bucket, keeper, spring on each port. I had to put a used exhaust cam in because I damged the original one taking it out. I checked the lash on the 4 buckets and they were on the loose side but nothing way out of spec. Does it sound like I have to redo the lash on all of them?

https://youtu.be/v0DNBrugBvk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

pctD posted:

From what I understand that's somewhat normal just because the quality of fuel can vary. That's why the ecu can adjust over time. You really don't want to see knock under high load though.

Yeah this tank is acting very strange. FKL has been as low as -4.22 when starting from a stop and FBK hits -1.41 most times when I tap the accelerator. It's acting like the octane is a lot lower.

The tank before, which I was doing half fillups, was running great. Same station too.

I'm going to burn this tank down and fill up with shell/sunoco/citgo in a high traffic area. Maybe add some 100 octane to bump it up more.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

aluminumonkey posted:

Yeah this tank is acting very strange. FKL has been as low as -4.22 when starting from a stop and FBK hits -1.41 most times when I tap the accelerator. It's acting like the octane is a lot lower.

The tank before, which I was doing half fillups, was running great. Same station too.

I'm going to burn this tank down and fill up with shell/sunoco/citgo in a high traffic area. Maybe add some 100 octane to bump it up more.

On my ‘17 I almost always see one infinitesimally short instance of -1.41 every time I drive it, with a rare instance of -2.81. According to Cobb this is within normal range of your DAM is not out of range. My DAM is always 1 so I’ve never been concerned with it, but I do always monitor it on the AP screen. Are you saying you get feedback knock more often than not when tapping the gas pedal? Maybe you did get some wonky gas.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

Imperador do Brasil posted:

On my ‘17 I almost always see one infinitesimally short instance of -1.41 every time I drive it, with a rare instance of -2.81. According to Cobb this is within normal range of your DAM is not out of range. My DAM is always 1 so I’ve never been concerned with it, but I do always monitor it on the AP screen. Are you saying you get feedback knock more often than not when tapping the gas pedal? Maybe you did get some wonky gas.

I have about 70 miles left on the tank so I will keep you guys informed on what happens next.

Instead of gas talk, what chassis and suspension parts should I be looking into? Pitch stop, trans mounts and end links?

So I was able to get a half tank from a station that sells high-quality fuel along with e85. That seems to have been it. Amazing how much fuel consistency varies even at the same stations.

aluminumonkey fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 6, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I always thought the 210hp rating was a bit ridiculous given how they performed even stock. I remember driving one when they were new and feeling like they would pull on a WRX with no problem.

Ever notice how Subaru never quoted performance other than with an auto? 14.8 quarter. The manuals got 13.9, 13.7 on a really good day with brutal shifts and were up to 1/2 sec quicker on the quarter that the 04 WRX.

Brakes were always kinda a problem tho....

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

These loving cars. :negative:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I’m in love :allears:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Fifty Three posted:

Are you taking pictures of my car right now? I've got spots like that starting in the exact same spot in front of both rear wheels. Since the clear coat is peeling off the hood, bumper, spoiler, and both front fenders, I'm probably gonna clean it up and hit it with some touchup paint eventually, once winter finally ends in MN.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

My engine bay wasn't as tidy (swap-in-progress pic) but my intake was more interesting.

It was a fun car with the extra power/torque

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

What engine is that?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

net work error posted:

What engine is that?

Looks like an outback 3.6

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Looks like an outback 3.6

It's the ez30d (the older version of the 3.0 h6), the newer h6's have a black plastic intake manifold

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

WRX continues to impress on track. Even though it's stock I still feel like it has more to give and it's been reliable as well. It rained today and didn't spin so AWD works I guess.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
So I just bought myself a 03 Outback in a lovely light greenish and tan for 3k with 220k on the clock. It's kinda a weird color but I enjoy it because it's unique.

It's an n/a 2.5 so it's kinda gutless in low gear (auto) but it cruises nice on the highway, and I'd just like to know what I should take a gander at first.
I didn't get any paperwork with it, so I have no clue what has been worked on recently. I did give it an oil change right away at least.

I didn't notice it on the test drive because I had the windows up, but it makes a whine from the front end from about 10-0 that sounds like its coming from the transaxle/transfer case (I'm not sure how Subaru runs their poo poo). It doesn't sound hostile just a whine. Is that a normal thing on an AWD car? I've never had one before.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 9, 2018

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

dyne posted:

It's the ez30d (the older version of the 3.0 h6), the newer h6's have a black plastic intake manifold

Yeah you’re right it’s def an EZ30. I read H6 on the cover and my lizard brain saw 3.6.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DiggityDoink posted:

So I just bought myself a 03 Outback in a lovely light greenish and tan for 3k with 220k on the clock. It's kinda a weird color but I enjoy it because it's unique.

It's an n/a 2.5 so it's kinda gutless in low gear (auto) but it cruises nice on the highway, and I'd just like to know what I should take a gander at first.
I didn't get any paperwork with it, so I have no clue what has been worked on recently. I did give it an oil change right away at least.

I didn't notice it on the test drive because I had the windows up, but it makes a whine from the front end from about 10-0 that sounds like its coming from the transaxle/transfer case (I'm not sure how Subaru runs their poo poo). It doesn't sound hostile just a whine. Is that a normal thing on an AWD car? I've never had one before.

You probably want to get the timing belt and headgaskets done if you don't have any records of when they were changed. The headgasket part # you should use is in the OP if you don't want to have to do it again in 100,000 miles.

Subarus don't make any extra noises that I've ever noticed, but it's really hard to diagnose a sound by just description.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Actually the current gaskets you get for an n/a 2.5, 11044AA633, are an MLS design. Not sure when that one came out but it's been around longer than I thought. 642, the sti gasket, will work too.

But I mean, you could drive it awhile. Maybe pull off a belt cover and see how dusty it is in there, and listen for sqeaks/bad noises from that area with it running. The water pump that exploded on me a long time ago did give me pretty fair warning, Although back then it was just a funny squeak and I hardly knew anything about these cars or working on them.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh yeah, might as well put this in here... ordered valve cover gaskets for my JDM EJ205, turns out the ones I ordered have a bunch of miscellaneous bits projecting around for alignment that the valve cover doesn't. Is there any breakdown on what the different valve cover gaskets look like?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

jamal posted:

Actually the current gaskets you get for an n/a 2.5, 11044AA633, are an MLS design. Not sure when that one came out but it's been around longer than I thought. 642, the sti gasket, will work too.

But I mean, you could drive it awhile. Maybe pull off a belt cover and see how dusty it is in there, and listen for sqeaks/bad noises from that area with it running. The water pump that exploded on me a long time ago did give me pretty fair warning, Although back then it was just a funny squeak and I hardly knew anything about these cars or working on them.

You can't talk about noises without posting the picture of the metal on metal tensioner from the Legacy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Haha, oh yeah. This happened once too

For some reason I thought the noise was an exhaust leak, and I had tracked down a replacement manifold, or we pried off the heat shields or something, and then I noticed that no, that's not the problem, and finally noticed the idler sticking out of the cover. I drove the car like 20 miles across LA to get to djcommie's house like that too. I think we drove to aerosim late at night to get a few idlers, and maybe I bought an ALK at south coast subaru that weekend too?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Where should I be looking if I want to buy a set of 11-14 WRX wheels? NASIOC yielded a few sets that all looked beat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a 2006 Outback.

The weather stripping at the base of the driver side door is cracking. Is this the right part?

https://www.subaruexpress.com/p/Subaru__Outback/WEATHER-STRIP-FRONT-DOOR-LEFT/49264481/63511AG01A.html

I can't find any relevant video tutorials online but how difficult is this to remove/install myself?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fifty Three posted:

Where should I be looking if I want to buy a set of 11-14 WRX wheels? NASIOC yielded a few sets that all looked beat.

Nasioc is going to be your best bet, just have to be patient for the right wheels to pop up.

Otherwise if you have a local Subaru group/forum/Facebook page might be worth a look.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Bajaha posted:

Nasioc is going to be your best bet, just have to be patient for the right wheels to pop up.

Otherwise if you have a local Subaru group/forum/Facebook page might be worth a look.

Seconding the FB suggestion. I found my set of '11 wheels on an FB Marketplace group for like $200. They aren't perfect but they certainly are good. Of course they didn't fit my stock-suspension FXT, but they fit perfectly on my other FXT which has coilovers, so it all worked out in the end.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Follow-up on this, quoted $650 to cut and patch. Ugh.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

I'd say the facebook subaru buy/sell groups would be a good start. Someone just posted a set in "subaru parts" actually.

The subaru help/advice/chat facebook groups are pretty horrible and worse than nasioc btw.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 18, 2018

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Which kind of sucks because nasioc (in general) sucks pretty hard too. I used to post on there asking pretty specific questions and was told to "google" it multiple times or they wouldn't actually answer my question. Son, the first thing I do is google it. I also often get information that turns out being false.

It is funny becoming a saint for doing a modest write-up of information that wasn't previously there. While there are contributors of actual content on that site like jamal, there is also just so much noise.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Reminds me, I was going to do a writeup on 5 speed DCCD swap into a non-DCCD gearbox.

"For the love of god, don't do this. That said..."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

is there a way to not drill holes in my front bumper for plates

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There are side mount plates that mount to the bumper rail or something. But I just don't run front plates. I've been doing that for four years. Cops don't care.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
They care in small town Texas. If you want to avoid giving cops snooping privileges, I mean a reason to pull you over, use some zip ties.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

One of those mounts that go in the grille? Maybe zip ties?
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/smart-HOLES-License-Plate-Bracket/dp/B00HBRCE40

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

There was a lady on the Forester forums who sold adapters that let you screw a US plate into the Japanese holes without drilling. They worked on a number of models. I'll poke through my old email and see if I can find her.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

There was a lady on the Forester forums who sold adapters that let you screw a US plate into the Japanese holes without drilling. They worked on a number of models. I'll poke through my old email and see if I can find her.

Can't be that hard to make adapter brackets if the Japanese holes already exist.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Genuine Subaru SOA342L120 Front License Plate Bracket, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IW33UPO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ti91Ab8JCVPR0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Totsubo-License-Plate-Bracket-for-02-2015-Subaru-WRX-STI-/141731377351

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

One of those mounts that go in the grille? Maybe zip ties?
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/smart-HOLES-License-Plate-Bracket/dp/B00HBRCE40

I use this, keeps the car real clean looking.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Can't be that hard to make adapter brackets if the Japanese holes already exist.

That's what I did on my Forester. 1/4" thick aluminum plate, through holes for the Japanese holes, drilled and tapped holes slightly wider for my plate.

As a bonus it keeps the plate slightly away from the bumper so it doesn't rub as much on the paint.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

um excuse me posted:

Which kind of sucks because nasioc (in general) sucks pretty hard too. I used to post on there asking pretty specific questions and was told to "google" it multiple times or they wouldn't actually answer my question. Son, the first thing I do is google it. I also often get information that turns out being false.

I hate to say anything good about NASIOC, given it's years of being the worst of the worst buuuuuuut.... it's got a better signal to noise these days and you can even stumble on good multipage threads politely discussing technical idea. The fucktards have left for Facebook groups mostly .... poo poo Facebook was good for something after all.

So yeah it's gone from gently caress NO to Weeeeeeell..... at least you wont get digital AIDS anymore

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

She was the only person I could find selling them but yeah, it was pretty easy. The bumper of the 2012 car had a couple of cutouts spaced for Japanese plates; her solution was a couple of blocks to snap in there that you then screwed a crossbar into and screwed the plate onto the crossbar. No extra holes in the bumper and on a Forester you could reach behind it and snap them in without taking the bumper cover off. On the Impreza and derivatives you had to drop the cover, but it was pretty easy if you didn't abuse the clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

jamal posted:

I'd say the facebook subaru buy/sell groups would be a good start. Someone just posted a set in "subaru parts" actually.
They sold in less than an hour, dang. Thanks for the link, though- that group gets a lot more traffic than the one I was looking at.