Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

Hell, I'm fer it.

Better have goddamn Tom Bombadil in it though

You know it will. At least on Amazon it'll look amazing in 4k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh god if Peter Jackson is in charge of the series he's gonna shoot it in 120hz 4K isn't he

uuuuuuuugh

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Hell, I'm fer it.

I hope so too.

That way I don't even need to watch it to know it's trash.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

There and back, again and again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No

I refuse

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Calaveron posted:

Is blonde Donna the biggest misstep in television history

Yes. You can always tell a show is going down the tubes when characters just start having the hair their actors would rather have instead of what fits the character. Hello I'm frumpy overworked single mom doctor *maybelline hair with highlights*.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

Hell, I'm fer it.

A children's show about Tom Bombadil and the mischievous pranks he plays on Old Man Willow.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lurdiak posted:

Yes. You can always tell a show is going down the tubes when characters just start having the hair their actors would rather have instead of what fits the character. Hello I'm frumpy overworked single mom doctor *maybelline hair with highlights*.

Apparently Topher Grace didn’t realize until his last goddamn episode he could've worn a wig the entire time

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also Ashton Kutcher gets a normal modern haircut for the seventh season when he's past I don’t give a poo poo phase

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Aww, Lindsey Lohan pre-crack

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

I never thought about it but that makes complete and total sense.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

checks out

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GreenNight posted:

Black Company would be good too.

Oh god yes. I want to see the first trilogy done.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey so Good Girls kicks a little rear end. More Desperate Housewives than Breaking Bad, but it moves pretty fast, and Christina Hendricks makes for a slick Walter White clone. Worth catching up on (though you’ll have to buy the first episode).

And not for nothing, but that last episode ended on the most baller cover of “Hold On, I’m Coming” ever.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like Good Girls a loooooot but like I think I've said before, I wish it were on cable. Or at least a little less procedural.

The main three are so drat good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This might have been around for a while, but it's new to me. I bought a show on the Google store and the way they do captions is really cool. It's often dynamic and changes position on the screen so that the words are closer to the person speaking. And when there are credits it moves out of the way. Why aren't Blu Rays already doing this.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 6, 2018

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

This might have been around for a while, but it's new to me. I bought a show on the Google store and the way they do captions is really cool. It's often dynamic and changes position on the screen so that the words are closer to the person speaking. And when there are credits it moves out of the way. Why aren't Blu Rays already doing this.

I’m pretty sure my Law & Order and Frasier DVDs move captions out of the way for opening credits. And I’ve definitely seen Blu Rays that move poo poo all over the place.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Slumdog Millionaire did that

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

esperterra posted:

I bet he'll have a producer credit, but I doubt he'll be working on it.

I could see him directing the first episode, but I can't imagine him working on it regularly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After The Hobbit shitshow there's no way he wants to be near that stuff again

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
FX has ordered a pilot for Y: The Last Man. I’ll believe it when I see it, though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Even just looking at the screenshot that seems really annoying.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Agreed. As someone who watches literally everything with subtitles that doesn't look very appealing. I've seen some shows do something like this before, but usually they just skew it a bit instead of placing it at the far edge of the screen.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

FX has ordered a pilot for Y: The Last Man. I’ll believe it when I see it, though.

Feminism the TV show... i can see the casting fury now.

also

Imposters is back and i'm super excited. Worlds second hottest Israeli in various wigs.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MiddleOne posted:

Even just looking at the screenshot that seems really annoying.

It works really well. Instead of looking down at the subtitles, you can keep looking at the faces of the people talking and the words show up right next to them. I imagine it's particularly great for deaf people, but I like it too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

Feminism the TV show... i can see the casting fury now.

The only fury or controversy I can possibly see with casting is if they cast any trans women, because that could be interpreted as a “hint” about what caused all the men in the world to die.

Unless you mean people bitching that there’s only one male character in the show, in which case :lol: because that’s the point. Literally no one would take those complaints seriously.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ampersand is male as well.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

Ampersand is male as well.

Touché.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who would make a great Yorick? I'd had Anton Yelchin as my ideal for a while, but now the best I can come up with is Ansel Elgort. Yelchin would have made the kinda-douchey character a bit more likable, but I'm thinking Elgort would do the opposite...

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My wife suggested the kid who ended up as The Rock in Jumanji: WTTJ and I think that's a pretty good fit.

As for the rest of the cast, Brie Larson would make a great Hero (I think) but I don't see her going back to TV. I guess Zazie Beetz would be a pretty good Agent 335. No idea on Dr. Mann.

Oh and the monkey that played Annie's Boobs as Ampersand.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 6, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNKwe9k55fs

Well, if this sucks it won't be because of the two leads.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

lelandjs posted:

No idea on Dr. Mann.

Ali Wong or Constance Wu

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd love it to be Constance Wu, mostly because I wish she did more drama, but I'd really prefer the part to be played by a Japanese actress given that the character is, you know, Japanese.

Edit: Tamlyn Tomita's probably too busy these days, between High Castle and The Good Doctor. I don't know who that leaves. Keiko Agena?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 6, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The "slave" is the actress that played Cally in BSG :psyduck:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

The "slave" is the actress that played Cally in BSG :psyduck:

I guess she fixed that cabbage problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Famous people are crazy am I right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's like someone was like "I don't think Scientology is malicious enough"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd love it to be Constance Wu, mostly because I wish she did more drama, but I'd really prefer the part to be played by a Japanese actress given that the character is, you know, Japanese.

She's not just Japanese but also half Chinese. Ali Wong has a Chinese father and Constance Wu's parents are from Taiwan.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

less laughter posted:

She's not just Japanese but also half Chinese. Ali Wong has a Chinese father and Constance Wu's parents are from Taiwan.

Huh. I guess I just remember Mann being Japanese for various plot related reasons. It's been ages.

Go Wu then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

It's like someone was like "I don't think Scientology is malicious enough"

Allison Mack: Hold my beer.