Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

voltcatfish posted:

do people care about the difficulty of a final fantasy game

none of them are difficult

There are a few actually challenging points in the series, but otherwise difficulty really is a bit too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Attack while the tail is up
Ended a lot of runs, Cloud

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most people that aren't rpg spergs really struggled with the 3rd seymour fight in the mountains.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Seymour Flux was a complete rear end in a top hat. :argh:

Ipson's Castle in IX could also potentially be a thing for people that didn't catch on to its gimmick.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
X has a few gotcha fights if your blind I think. The anti magic tank, arguably all the seymour's, Yunalesca, that boss right before yunalesca.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
world 2 exdeath in ff5
bart 1.0 in ff13
the current savage turns in ff14

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
uh, primal chaos in dissidia?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sanctuary Keeper was harder than Yunalesca for me as a kid, oddly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

While none of the FFs are particularly challenging, it seems fair to say some are much easier than others and that can be a huge turn-off.

Reiterpallasch posted:

bart 1.0 in ff13

I still don't understand why for my first run of FFXIII when I had no clue what I was doing I struggled with Bart and then breezed through Bart 2, but for my second run when I understood the battle system better it was the reverse. As long as you can knock Bart 1 out of doing his super move that resets his Stagger gauge(I still don't know how you do this but I did it on my second run), he's not so bad.

As for FFX:

BrightWing posted:

X has a few gotcha fights if your blind I think. The anti magic tank, arguably all the seymour's, Yunalesca, that boss right before yunalesca.

loving Spectral Keeper. That Berserk Tail and the agonizingly slow camera zooms after he berserks somebody is still a fresh memory in my mind even though I haven't played FFX in about a decade.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The only thing I remember about Seymour Flux is that his big lasers and rockets attack is a magic attack and not a physical attack because duh what are you stupid or something?

After putting Shell on everybody instead of Protect it seemed to go a lot smoother

Same problem with Bart: you have to stagger him except it's not the core game mechanic literally called Stagger.

Trouble with X and XIII is they have the most plodding poo poo-awful slow beginnings so I've never managed to replay either of them. Yet somehow got back into XII idk.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
The Final Aeon was definitely the hardest boss in FFX for me, as someone who didn't do postgame stuff (or even really any grinding) at all. My saving grace was figuring out how to give Rikku 1MP Hastega.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

loving Spectral Keeper. That Berserk Tail and the agonizingly slow camera zooms after he berserks somebody is still a fresh memory in my mind even though I haven't played FFX in about a decade.

The worst thing about that is that it still does the absurdly slow pan even if you don't get Berserked.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

bloom posted:

Actually difficult FF fights for someone going in blind: Wiegraf, Yunalesca and...?

Every fight in ffiv ds

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ROFL Octopus posted:

Every fight in ffiv ds

Sounds like someone didn't set up Cecil with the Draw, Counter and Kick augments :smugdog:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloom posted:

Actually difficult FF fights for someone going in blind: Wiegraf, Yunalesca and...?

demon wall

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

The required one or the optional one? Or the ff4 one? What other games had the demon wall?

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 5, 2018

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

lobster22221 posted:

The required one or the optional one? Or the ff4 one? What other games had the demon wall?

7 did in the temple of the ancients. 12 and 14 have some demon wall encounters as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

seiferguy posted:

Probably the best version to play.

The "Where should I play" is as such:

1: GBA, PSP or mobile
2: see above
3: NES
4: GBA, some might say DS / PC but I thought the upgraded graphics sucked compared to the new endgame stuff
5: GBA / SNES translation (note, GBA adds endgame content, maybe find a patch to fix slowdown)
6: same as above, except no translation. Mobile versions of this game are terrible. GBA version is good and adds some goof endgame stuff but should be patched to fix slowdown.
7: PS4 or PC remaster
8: PC remaster (don't get the 1st PC version...)
9: PS4 or PC remaster
10 and 10-2: PS3, PS4 or PC remaster
11: uhh...
12: Zodiac age on PS4 or PC

In short, get the latest remasters with the exception of 3-6 as the mobile / DS versions are flawed in some ways.

Some corrections:

4: GBA's version is buggy as hell (there's probably a bunch of fan patches for ROMs tho), the PSP version appears to be the best as it fixes a lot of issues and is hands down the best looking version. FF4 DS is almost as badly rebalanced as FF3 DS and the 3D graphics are ugly as hell. Do not play FF4: The After Years. Ever.
5. GBA. The music/colors are worse than the SNES version but there are fan-made patches you can apply to a ROM to fix that, giving you the best of both worlds :haw: The mobile version probably plays fine but the FFD team needs to be banned from doing their low-effort ports of existing games.
6. Same as above.

bloom posted:

Astos in FF1 can wreck you if you're going in blind and don't have a decently leveled/geared team. Going for the Crown and getting 3+ Wizards can also result in a pretty quick party wipe if you're not expecting it and don't have a geared fighter and/or LIT2.

Neither are Weigraf levels of gently caress-you but few things are in FF games.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Sounds like someone didn't set up Cecil with the Draw, Counter and Kick augments :smugdog:

Or give omnicast to Rosa for the endgame.

If you don't use augments and only try to DPS race everything FF4 DS is harder than the other versions. The only 'challenge' in the game are the Leviathan/CPU-style fights that open the fight with massive AOE instantly that will kill anyone other than Cecil unless they were able to guard in the fraction of a second before the attack queued up, unless you did some level grinding.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

7 did in the temple of the ancients. 12 and 14 have some demon wall encounters as well.

I knew about 12, and I had completely forgotten about 7. Never played 14, but t makes as much sense being there as anything else.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lobster22221 posted:

the fact that there are so many to choose from, and they all invoke reactions of "yeah i hated that boss," should tell you everything you need to know

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

the fact that there are so many to choose from, and they all invoke reactions of "yeah i hated that boss," should tell you everything you need to know

Even if it was well designed instead of being loathed, it is still a really weird idea for a boss.

Of all the ones I fought, I still think 12's is in the weirdest situation though.

What is the context for 14's?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Some of the bosses in lightning returns are tough.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Moms are tough

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lobster22221 posted:

What is the context for 14's?

You fight one as a mid-boss in Amdapor Keep -

quote:

Once, the lost civilization of Amdapor thrived in the Twelveswood, her citizens wielders of powerful, yet forbidden magicks which could be used to alter the very fabric of existence. However, as is oft the case with peoples who fancy themselves gods, the self-assuring hubris of the Amdapori eventually became their downfall, and as quickly as they rose to power, did they disappear from the world. For generations, this relic of their once-mighty civilization has remained hidden in plain sight─cloaked by the elementals who sought only to prevent newer generations from stumbling across the ancient Amdapori magicks. That is, until the Lambs of Dalamud─a dark cult who worships the now-fallen lesser moon as a god─dispelled the elementals' glamour by means unknown, and claimed the keep as their own. Now the crazed followers use its ancient chambers to perform blood sacrifices in an effort to resurrect their evil lord.

So for whatever reason there's still an active Demon Wall there. That fight also used to have shitloads of bees that would use Final Sting, but they were removed at some point because it was awful.

Amdapor Keep (Hard) brings you four Demon Walls encroaching on you as you furiously kill a bunch of voidsent so you can get out of the Demon Wall hell room.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Demon Wall should get its own spinoff game.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

You fight one as a mid-boss in Amdapor Keep -

So for whatever reason there's still an active Demon Wall there. That fight also used to have shitloads of bees that would use Final Sting, but they were removed at some point because it was awful.

Amdapor Keep (Hard) brings you four Demon Walls encroaching on you as you furiously kill a bunch of voidsent so you can get out of the Demon Wall hell room.

I take it back. This one wins for weirdest.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF16 should have you fight a Demon Wall except after defeating it you find out it was actually an ordinary wall the entire time.

Alternatively, Demon Wall Summon.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

There is demon wall in ff15 too and it’s one of the few things in the main game that pose something of a challenge

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mega64 posted:

Demon Wall and Gilgamesh as buddy cops in their own game.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Does the demon wall travel around, and have trouble going through doors?

Demon wall doesn't ride a chocobo. He rides 16 chocobos at once.

Demon wall's greatest weakness is seige equipment.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 6, 2018

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

That would be Mobius Demon Wall Fantasy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

lobster22221 posted:

Demon wall's greatest weakness is seige equipment.

Demon Wall's greatest weakness is loneliness. Nobody likes his hugs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, every boss fight in FF3DS is pretty punishing without prior knowledge. Hein, Garuda, the entire final dungeon...

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Can you get a Demon Wall in WoFF?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

OneDeadman posted:

Can you get a Demon Wall in WoFF?

No, but you can get an Einhander and a Xenogears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFKKokBg_48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Vwo2RRWMc

Since we're talking about WoFF, I'd just like to point out that the game has some really, really niche references to Square games all over the place. For example, Bahamut's Megaflare is a reference to the final moments of FF14 v1.0. Mega Mirages don't exactly get a lot of screen time, so most who finish the game will never see it, much less get the reference.

WoFF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm9D5BD4mK8&t=550s

FF14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xOOFCltZuc&t=280s

Ramuh, Titan and Leviathan also referenced their FF15 counterparts, a year before FF15 came out.

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 6, 2018

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i am very tempted to use the max out license board cheat in ff12pc because this game has turned into a pita with the stilshrine of miriam . also mp drains far too quickly itg

BleiddWhitefalcon
Jul 30, 2014
I'm deciding whether to pick up 12 or 15 for the PC to break in a new rig I'm getting. What's the general consensus on which game is better and has the better PC port?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The people that like 12 here are louder and more aggressive

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The PC port of 15 was rebuilt from the ground up for PC, so it should technically be better optimized, but it also has a memory leak problem and is a pretty drat intensive game for a mid-range PC to run, so 12 would probably be kinder on your computer. For what is more fun, for my money, it's 15. But remember, every Final Fantasy is the worst game in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Varance posted:

No, but you can get an Einhander and a Xenogears.

where's a car from their vehicular rpg, Racing Lagoon