Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheChirurgeon posted:

Myfors' plains look like unfinished bob ross paintings, and if he had to paint two per episode instead of one

fite me irl.

Also helps that Jesper is just like a cool grandpa dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Niton posted:

How has this not been posted yet?

I know at least half of you are old enough to remember this guy being the face of Magic for at least one core set.

It was posted. And yeah what you wrote was true for me (7th edition)

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
so DOM is coming out soon, have they even revealed the next set's name yet? Haven't we always had a 1-2 set lead on names/locations?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rinkles posted:

It was posted. And yeah what you wrote was true for me (7th edition)

Mobile didn't want to show the non Drudge Sentinel cards in his post, apparently.

qbert posted:

Copying an existing spell that you already had to pay for on the stack is way worse than getting to pick a spell to play for free from your graveyard. Unless you're specifically in a counter war or your opponent's playing spell + instant, there's no other reason to copy a counterspell, whereas Gearhulk can be used to counter an opponent's spell in the first place.

I don't think it's the same power level, but I do think there are will be some cool play patterns, especially with the 2 CMC difference. Don't know if that's enough, but I hope it is.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

keratinous scutes posted:

so DOM is coming out soon, have they even revealed the next set's name yet? Haven't we always had a 1-2 set lead on names/locations?

Core set, 25th Anniversary edition / 2019.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Your favorite Magic illustrator sucks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mezzanon posted:

fite me irl.

Also helps that Jesper is just like a cool grandpa dude.

ha, I am being needlessly mean. I think the old art is OK and I don't have anything against Myrfors--I like what he was able to accomplish with the Dark and it's got, thematically, some of my favorite art design in Magic, but I don't think he was ever one of the better artists working on the game, and I think he'd have agreed

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Green is gradually becoming the Good Cantrip color, at least as long as Ponder and Preordain stay banned.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Original art of this card almost got me banned from playing the game entirely the first time my dad saw it. :unsmith:

At a school I went to at one point Pokemon cards were banned. In a bid to convince my parents of the injustice, I showed them the creepiest looking MTG cards I could find from the Portal Second Age sample pack my uncle gave me (MTG wasn't banned because no played it there, but that logical inference escaped me). Among them any scary cards I could find with guns, like Prowling Nightstalker, contrasted against cute cards like Charmander

Reflecting on this today, maybe that sort of impulse is the major reason WotC steers clear of guns, rather than creative considerations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Have they announced how they're actually naming new core sets yet? Is it gonna be M19, or what?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheChirurgeon posted:

Don't they use the same art for two of the original islands, only flipped/zoomed/corrected?

e: There it is. I don't hate the original art but I'm not nostalgic for it

I meant this one, it is the platonic ideal of a card named Island.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 5, 2018

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Entropic posted:

Have they announced how they're actually naming new core sets yet? Is it gonna be M19, or what?

Core Set 2019

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Niton posted:

I know at least half of you are old enough to remember this guy being the face of Magic for at least one core set.

This was in my first reanimator deck!

T1 Island, Trickster Mage
T2 Swamp, discard Thorn Elemental to untap Island, play Exhume

I was a freakin' genius deckbuilder, I tell you.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I seem to remember hearing that he drew this in a few minutes at the last second, but I could also be remembering things that never happened.

odiv posted:

This was in my first reanimator deck!

T1 Island, Trickster Mage
T2 Swamp, discard Thorn Elemental to untap Island, play Exhume

I was a freakin' genius deckbuilder, I tell you.

Lol at not choosing to be on the draw and discarding to hand size :smuggo:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

At a school I went to at one point Pokemon cards were banned. In a bid to convince my parents of the injustice, I showed them the creepiest looking MTG cards I could find from the Portal Second Age sample pack my uncle gave me (MTG wasn't banned because no played it there, but that logical inference escaped me). Among them any scary cards I could find with guns, like Prowling Nightstalker, contrasted against cute cards like Charmander

Reflecting on this today, maybe that sort of impulse is the major reason WotC steers clear of guns, rather than creative considerations.

If it wasn't satanic panic, the reason school administrators usually gave for banning card games on campus was because you'd have a bunch of kids fighting over stuff or getting ripped off in a trade.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cactrot posted:

I meant this one, it is the platonic ideal of a card named Island.

What kind of person wants actual islands in their Island cards?

Rivers are where it's at.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Star Man posted:

If it wasn't satanic panic, the reason school administrators usually gave for banning card games on campus was because you'd have a bunch of kids fighting over stuff or getting ripped off in a trade.

A large part of my early magic collection was thanks to stupid pokemon trades.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Star Man posted:

Oh I know. More specifically, I believe it was about not making poorer kids feel left out (i myself barely had any cards but didn't make the connection).

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hellioning posted:

I'm told the kids are into bowls nowadays

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
worth reposting
https://imgur.com/a/xVnyP#J0WaanF

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

To this day a handful of trades I was ripped off by have the power to occasionally make me squirm.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hellioning posted:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

:agreed:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Beautiful.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There will never be a Return to Lorwyn because it didn't make money or some poo poo and I guess people would get up and leave drafts because of reasons.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lorwyn things had weird faces.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I love these and wish I had some in foil.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

little munchkin posted:

In practice it's not going to be much different than negate, which isn't very popular. There's not a ton you can do with untapped blue mana during your opponent's end step.

I could see it slotting into a Mystical Teachings deck or something that runs Forbidden Alchemy.

Hitting creatures would be better though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Niton posted:

Ahem :colbert: (also yeah, it was the face of the beginner's kit or something.)

Kurtofan posted:

Cool article showcasing art and previews of reprints

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/05/see-6-cards-coming-to-magic-the-gatherings-dominaria-expansion

(thorn elemental at uncommon!)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Also, full size Radha art :allears: :

https://twitter.com/depingo/status/981971357876580352

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Star Man posted:

There will never be a Return to Lorwyn because it didn't make money or some poo poo and I guess people would get up and leave drafts because of reasons.

people did that?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

absolute unit

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kurtofan posted:

people did that?

I think they're referring to the wotc infernal prerelease, where non-r&d employees dropped after a round or two

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

To this day a handful of trades I was ripped off by have the power to occasionally make me squirm.

I sold all my cards to a kid on the bus for $20, and then immediately tried to take it back and he told me to gently caress off.

I think there were probably 10-20 Revised Duals in there.

Kurtofan posted:

people did that?

Lorwyn block is how we got NWO at common - players did not like the amount of on-board combat tricks and math involved in the format.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Decided to watch some MTG: A streaming while im at work. How does anybody watch Day9 do anything? He doesn't read anything, runs headfirst into all bait and then complains about it and his chat is always in sub only mode and they're not allowed to tell him he's doing something wrong or bad or stupid because its "spoilers".

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheChirurgeon posted:

ha, I am being needlessly mean. I think the old art is OK and I don't have anything against Myrfors--I like what he was able to accomplish with the Dark and it's got, thematically, some of my favorite art design in Magic, but I don't think he was ever one of the better artists working on the game, and I think he'd have agreed

I met him at GP Van a couple years ago and the only thing he said about magic art is "my wife is a much better artist than I am, I was just very lucky"

then we talked about good pubs to go to.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

For those of you who haven't been watching the Access Magic videos for DOM, take note of the fact that her sword is clean and her fists are covered in blood.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

suicidesteve posted:

I seem to remember hearing that he drew this in a few minutes at the last second, but I could also be remembering things that never happened.

I heard this too, he was the art director and the art for this card hadn't been submitted or something similar.

Lorwyn was beautiful and we should go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

A Moose posted:

Decided to watch some MTG: A streaming while im at work. How does anybody watch Day9 do anything? He doesn't read anything, runs headfirst into all bait and then complains about it and his chat is always in sub only mode and they're not allowed to tell him he's doing something wrong or bad or stupid because its "spoilers".

I don't know who that is. And thank you for letting me know why.