Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah economics being called a science is pretty hosed.

the first time i ever heard economics referred to as a science i felt deeply offended, but i think the appropriate way to interpret that assertion is "economics is ideally a science", in that it is a set of assertions about how the world might work that have the potential to be confronted with data.

the fact that that rarely if ever happens is a condemnation of economists, not economics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you could say it’s a dismal science

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
they are certainly dismal scientists

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
can it be a science if it's for all practical purposes impossible to run experiments

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
don't forget that a core tenat of economics "science" is that all their theories are 100% impossible to prove but also always correct

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Trig Discipline posted:

the first time i ever heard economics referred to as a science i felt deeply offended, but i think the appropriate way to interpret that assertion is "economics is ideally a science", in that it is a set of assertions about how the world might work that have the potential to be confronted with data.

the fact that that rarely if ever happens is a condemnation of economists, not economics

economics is lovely because rich ppl have a strong incentive to bankroll lovely economists

but austrian economics explicitly rejects empiricism, it's more a religion than a science

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

haveblue posted:

can it be a science if it's for all practical purposes impossible to run experiments

checkmate, evolutionists :smugdog:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
what did austria ever do that the whole country is nominally tied to mises

besides produce hitler, i mean

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

science is amoral

economic science doubly so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm okay with economists calling their field a science bc I get to ask them how many times they repeated their trials and how many people have reproduced the results

I also enjoy telling them "actually, it's called the Swedish National Bank's Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it’s bullshit that they even allow them to award it at the same time

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In the end, it's the Swedish bank that holds Nobel's inheritance and performs the steps in his will - which is handing out the prizes. Sadly, being a bank, they're in a prime position to hand out a prize of their own at the same time.

Nobel, feeling regret for the people who had died due to his invention of dynamite, came up with the idea of the prizes in order to try and convince people to make the world better for everyone. He specifically chose categories that he thought would have a direct net positive effect on society as a whole.

The categories he chose are certainly debatable, yes. But economy absolutely does not belong with them, goes directly against his will, and Nobel probably turns in his grave every time someone calls it the 'economy Nobel prize'.

Another fun fact is that while most Nobel prize winners are chosen by Swedish committees of experts, the bank managed to outsource the handling of the Peace Prize to a Norwegian committee. I believe that's the smartest move they've ever done. The peace Prize is often the most controversial, and if the 'wrong' person ever gets one, their enemies will likely bomb Oslo instead of Stockholm.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I'm okay with economists calling their field a science bc I get to ask them how many times they repeated their trials and how many people have reproduced the results

I also enjoy telling them "actually, it's called the Swedish National Bank's Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel"

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

checkmate, evolutionists :smugdog:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Improbable Lobster posted:

don't forget that a core tenat of economics "science" is that all their theories are 100% impossible to prove but also always correct

this is only austrian-style economics

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Carbon dioxide posted:

In the end, it's the Swedish bank that holds Nobel's inheritance and performs the steps in his will - which is handing out the prizes. Sadly, being a bank, they're in a prime position to hand out a prize of their own at the same time.

Nobel, feeling regret for the people who had died due to his invention of dynamite, came up with the idea of the prizes in order to try and convince people to make the world better for everyone. He specifically chose categories that he thought would have a direct net positive effect on society as a whole.

The categories he chose are certainly debatable, yes. But economy absolutely does not belong with them, goes directly against his will, and Nobel probably turns in his grave every time someone calls it the 'economy Nobel prize'.

Another fun fact is that while most Nobel prize winners are chosen by Swedish committees of experts, the bank managed to outsource the handling of the Peace Prize to a Norwegian committee. I believe that's the smartest move they've ever done. The peace Prize is often the most controversial, and if the 'wrong' person ever gets one, their enemies will likely bomb Oslo instead of Stockholm.

As if someone who's gonna flip their poo poo about the peace prize recipient is gonna bother to check which Scandinavian country is specifically responsible before they start bombing.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also his living descendants straightup hate the idiot bank prize

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

Is astronomy a science?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

instantrunoffvote posted:

Is astronomy a science?

are you saying you can't run astronomical experiments?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
science is about making and testing predictions. controlled, repeatable experiments are the gold standard but it would be ludicrous to hold every scientific discipline to that. it's a dumb misconception that is often used in bad faith to discredit evolution and climate science

economics develops theory and makes testable predictions. it's a (social) science

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

science is about making and testing predictions. controlled, repeatable experiments are the gold standard

economics develops theory and makes testable predictions. it's a (social) science

i believe the term youre looking for is fiat science

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

economics is about as scientific as tarot reading or voodoo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

science is about making and testing predictions. controlled, repeatable experiments are the gold standard but it would be ludicrous to hold every scientific discipline to that. it's a dumb misconception that is often used in bad faith to discredit evolution and climate science

maybe but the point is that the bank awards a prize for economics right alongside the legit prizes for "other" hard sciences like chemistry and physics

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I guess this isn't worthless because lmao at the idea of finding this immoral even outside of the context

at least I got to have you johnny posted:

Test audience reactions led to several minor changes before the film was released. Originally, it was clear that Carmen was torn between Rico and Zander. Test audiences, regardless of gender, strongly felt that a woman could not love two men at once, so scenes which portrayed this were cut. These audiences also felt it was immoral for Carmen to choose a career ahead of being loyal to Rico, to the extent that many commented that, in so doing, Carmen should have been the one to die instead of Dizzy. While admitting it may have been a bad commercial decision not to change the film to accommodate this, the directors did cut a scene from after Zander's death where Carmen and Rico kiss, which the audience believed made the previous betrayal even more immoral.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
a woman can definitely love two men at once, i've seen videos

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Carbon dioxide posted:

It was Nobel himself who gave the Peace prize decision to the Norwegian government.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

a woman can definitely love two men at once, i've seen videos

but enough about your mom's home movies

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It was Nobel himself who gave the Peace prize decision to the Norwegian government.

how many were killed by alfred nobel's invention, dynamite?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

maybe but the point is that the bank awards a prize for economics right alongside the legit prizes for "other" hard sciences like chemistry and physics

oh no, economists ruining it for the legit nobel laureates like bob dylan, barack obama, henry kissenger, and the lady currently presiding over a genocide in myanmar

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
kissinger: great peace prize recipient or greatest peace prize recipient

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
dylan absolutely deserves his prize

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

prefect posted:

In 1894, Nobel purchased the Bofors iron and steel mill, which he made into a major armaments manufacturer. Nobel also invented ballistite. This invention was a precursor to many smokeless military explosives, especially the British smokeless powder cordite. As a consequence of his patent claims, Nobel was eventually involved in a patent infringement lawsuit over cordite. Nobel amassed a fortune during his lifetime, with most of his wealth from his 355 inventions, of which dynamite is the most famous.[16]

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

kissinger: great peace prize recipient or greatest peace prize recipient

tbh tho he might deserve it for stopping drunk nixon from nuking korea. actually maybe kissenger could come out of retirement, his skills in this area might be of use

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sweevo posted:

economics is about as scientific as tarot reading or voodoo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

prefect posted:

still my fav political cartoon ever

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
holy poo poo

piss

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

yeah pretty much

there are like a hundred or more other videos but this is the condensed version of losethos guy on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joFxNfTS214

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

tbh tho he might deserve it for stopping drunk nixon from nuking korea. actually maybe kissenger could come out of retirement, his skills in this area might be of use

lol you should click that link i posted

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

George posted:

so ive long had problems with the way we rank and label the sciences, and even with how much import we give the label "science" and fight over what disciplines "deserve" it. like its only because it got labeled a soft science or social science or whatever than economists got their hackles up and tried to prove that their flavore of bs is JUST AS RIGOROUS AND IMPORTANT AS SUPREME FATHER PHYSICS and so we have this horrible dick-waving across all academia about whose throbbing rock-hard boner is the longestr

like maybe we're encouraging the wrong attitudes about how and why we study the world in the first plac3e

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the success of science in effecting an incremental improvement in a vast array of areas over the past 100 years has lead the current discourse to the view that science is what makes academic work, or thinking in general, good, where it actually is a method with extremely limited applicability. we have in the past already seen the issue in the areas of race biology, and a lot of almost as lovely things going on in the views on psychology and treatment of mental illness, but it is now ingrained enough that it is hard to even have a conversation about

also: trump is the most scientific president, as we have not previously run an experiment checking how having an idiot running the free world would work out, nor, in particular, verified the hypothesis that universal death in nuclear hellfire may have a positive effect on the rates of teen pregnancy