Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
See lots of new lawyer thread posts. Of course it's a prospective law student.

Go to law school since Toona is almost done and I want three more years of this plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Look Sir Droids posted:

See lots of new lawyer thread posts. Of course it's a prospective law student.

Go to law school since Toona is almost done and I want three more years of this plot.

Idk man, it's not clear to me some Canuck is going to be making plays like Toona did.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Got in-house offer. 9% pay increase. Don't know about benefits yet, but goodbye current job basically.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Throatwabler lived in canada for a bit iirc.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Look Sir Droids posted:

Got in-house offer. 9% pay increase. Don't know about benefits yet, but goodbye current job basically.

Do you have any idea what kind of work? Decent mix of things or are you going to mostly work in one specific area?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It'll be litigation.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Got an interview for a County Attorney position in the county I would prefer to practice in. Would be transitioning from Public Defender to County Attorney, would get a $13,000 pay bump (with pension time carrying over), and my commute would be 25 minutes shorter.

Aside from the fact that the new job would pit me against my former boss, hard to see any downside.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

GET MONEY posted:

Is quitting a comfortable, mid-level tech career in Canada to take on debt and attend a non-T14 but fairly well-respected regional US law school with partial scholarship a terrible idea that will inevitably end in destitution?

If you’re not going to like Harvard or something most Canadian firms won’t have any clue where you went to school so good luck finding articles. American law is sufficiently different you’ll have to relearn almost everything. If you’re planning on working in Canada yes this is a terrible idea.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

LeschNyhan posted:

If you’re not going to like Harvard or something most Canadian firms won’t have any clue where you went to school so good luck finding articles. American law is sufficiently different you’ll have to relearn almost everything. If you’re planning on working in Canada yes this is a terrible idea.

Agreed with all of these points.

Also to add: if you have any intention on coming back to practice in Canada after law school, why the hell wouldn't you just go to a Canadian law school in the first place? Tuition is much cheaper than US schools, the education is actually useful (to the extent that law school itself actually teaches you anything), your degree/law society membership will actually be transferable between FPT jurisdictions, all Canadian law schools are more or less respectable as long as you're not trying to get into Bay Street Big Law so there's none of that T14 bullshit, firms will recognize that your JD isn't from a diploma mill, bank and government student loans will be easier to get, etc etc etc.

If you plan on staying in the USA forever though, then you are clearly crazy.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
I have no relation to toona or ThroatWarbler though it's not unimaginable that I will try to hook up with study partners and/or make semi-autistic inquiries towards a potential employer.

EwokEntourage posted:

Why do you want to quit? Your career in law (if any) will mostly likely ended doing patent work or other work related to whatever field you are leaving

Lawyering seems like a fun change of pace and extremely in line with my skills. My current job I could do backwards with my eyes closed, and law seems at the very least less rote. At worst, it would lead to about the same functionally as current conditions but with the excitement of crippling debt and a higher chance of falling into crippling poverty. IP law is interesting but patents too technical and a complete career pivot is appealing.

Vox Nihili posted:

How much are you "comfortably" making now, how "partial" is the scholarship, and how "fairly well-respected" (lol) is the school?

Earning a nice five figures, reasonably reaching the low six figures in the same amount of time it would take to finish law school. Scholarship is about 80% tuition which makes the cost of attendance comparable to a Canadian school. The school is probably the 3rd best in the local market and I believe has one of the largest alumni networks in the state. It's where I'd love to practice in an ideal world.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

More importantly why the gently caress would you leave Canada for the land of Donald Trump

No one's out here making Canada great again and the weather sucks.

Gleri posted:

I'm struggling to imagine why you would want to do this. What are you hoping to accomplish with this plan? What do you envision would be a successful outcome of your plan? Working as a junior associate at a mid-tier regional law firm who will pay off student debt for the next ten years? That's probably your best case scenario. You could easily end up unemployed with crippling debts and reduced job prospects. Whatever your goal is I suspect there are better ways to accomplish it.

Is this a way to advance your career in technology? A way to make a career change? Is your goal to use this as a way to move to the US? Is your goal to "be a lawyer"? Do you have any idea what lawyers do (beyond wearing suits and talking loudly)?

Law is not a good career and it can be quite awful for most people who make the effort.

In general I think law school only makes sense if you have very specific set of goals that require a law degree and/or you can get into a very good law school.

Tech is boring after nearly 20 years. Corporate/transactional stuff sounds lame but IP and some in-house counsel sounds swanky. Civil lit or criminal defense, working up to partner would be goals, or perhaps my own boutique firm. Even 2007 doc review life doesn't sound awful. Where are the jobs (for foreigners)?

And what specifically is so bad about a law career? Spending my Friday nights researching archaic statutes to draft pedantic ex parte motions for summary judgement or w/e actually sounds like a dream job, and I can pick up a substance abuse problem pretty quickly if necessary.

LeschNyhan posted:

Tipps posted:

Agreed with all of these points.

Also to add: if you have any intention on coming back to practice in Canada after law school, why the hell wouldn't you just go to a Canadian law school in the first place? Tuition is much cheaper than US schools, the education is actually useful (to the extent that law school itself actually teaches you anything), your degree/law society membership will actually be transferable between FPT jurisdictions, all Canadian law schools are more or less respectable as long as you're not trying to get into Bay Street Big Law so there's none of that T14 bullshit, firms will recognize that your JD isn't from a diploma mill, bank and government student loans will be easier to get, etc etc etc.

If you plan on staying in the USA forever though, then you are clearly crazy.

I'm waitlisted at some borderline T14, but paying full sticker is a difficult proposition. I'd probably want to practice in the US (specifically where I've fielded applications), but financially maybe sucking it up in Canada and making my way down later is more prudent. So far I've only been accepted to the lesser echelon of Canadian schools, so it's making the weather and similarly priced education in the US more appealing.

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 5, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd rather read about your struggle and failures and regrets over the next few years than about how other people are having success so I say go for it. Welcome to America, son.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

GET MONEY posted:

No one's out here making Canada great again and the weather sucks.

lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

GET MONEY posted:

Tech is boring after nearly 20 years. Corporate/transactional stuff sounds lame but IP and some in-house counsel sounds swanky. Civil lit or criminal defense, working up to partner would be goals, or perhaps my own boutique firm. Even 2007 doc review life doesn't sound awful.

Dude come on. Too obvious

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I'm reading that you want a career change but nothing very specific about law, what draws you in about it?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Obviously west coast best coast forever.

Hoshi posted:

I'm reading that you want a career change but nothing very specific about law, what draws you in about it?

Lots of reading, research, writing, creative pedantry, constantly changing challenges, and competition. All things I excel at and which are not being fulfilled by my current employment. Please let me know if I'm mistaken about what the actual practice of law involves.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
My job loving sucks, don't do it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GET MONEY posted:

Please let me know if I'm mistaken about what the actual practice of law involves.

you're an rear end in a top hat who selectively reads things to only see things that already fit his point of view, you'll fit in perfectly.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

you're an rear end in a top hat who selectively reads things to only see things that already fit his point of view, you'll fit in perfectly.

I actually purposely always try to read things that specifically challenge my point of view, but I am an rear end in a top hat so...mixed messages here.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
When I interviewed at jobs, I used to tell people I wanted a job where I did something different every day. Everyone agreed with me that that was a good idea and that’s what practicing law was like. They were lying. They knew they were lying. I now know they were lying.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

This is too obvious.

On the other hand, we said the same thing about Toona and here we are. So I look forward to seeing how this all lights on loving fire.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

GET MONEY posted:

Obviously west coast best coast forever.

Lots of reading, research, writing, creative pedantry, constantly changing challenges, and competition. All things I excel at and which are not being fulfilled by my current employment. Please let me know if I'm mistaken about what the actual practice of law involves.

None of those are specific to practicing law, do you have a more specific motivation?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Also are you sure you don't want your constantly changing challenges to be something like starting a family and finding ways to lead a happy life as opposed to creative solutions to rear end in a top hat clients who probably won't pay you, but maybe they will?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

You should definitely go to a U.S. law school so we can enjoy hearing about how you failed to get work authorization and you're barred from working in the U.S. in 3 years.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I went to law school back in 2009 because law school didn't require math/calculus as an admission exam.
That was my motivation.
Look at me now.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

When I interviewed at jobs, I used to tell people I wanted a job where I did something different every day. Everyone agreed with me that that was a good idea and that’s what practicing law was like. They were lying. They knew they were lying. I now know they were lying.

That's not true.

Some days you draft a contract for the dry cleaning service. Other days you draft a contract for the food delivery service.

I mean, sure, it's the same template and you just change the names, but hey, that's different!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

GET MONEY posted:

law seems at the very least less rote.

Everyone else has already feeding-frenzied the rest of your post but this in particular: lol just lol

That said, this very week I got to use the international law course I took in law school for the very first time in my job!

...to mercilessly dunk on the submission of some painfully earnest human rights activists because a) the treaty they're citing doesn't compel the relief they want, b) even if it did, the treaty is not self-executing and the legislature hasn't implemented it domestically, c) even if it had, their request was a loving terrible idea based on a totally incorrect reading of literally every legal instrument they cited.

Pandas: there's a reason they're going extinct.

vvvvvvvv

Alexeythegreat posted:

Edit: Unless you're litigating in a domestic court, in which case none of that poo poo applies

Domestic admin tribunal, yes.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 5, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Dallan Invictus posted:

Everyone else has already feeding-frenzied the rest of your post but this in particular: lol just lol

That said, this very week I got to use the international law course I took in law school for the very first time in my job!

...to mercilessly dunk on the submission of some painfully earnest human rights activists because a) the treaty they're citing doesn't compel the relief they want, b) even if it did, the treaty is not self-executing and the legislature hasn't implemented it domestically, c) even if it had, their request was a loving terrible idea based on a totally incorrect reading of literally every legal instrument they cited.

Pandas: there's a reason they're going extinct.

With the possible exception of more technical parts of international trade law (like technical barriers to trade, sanitary and phytosanitary measures) and the more obvious rules of international humanitarian law ("killing civilians is bad"), international law is always a 50/50 gamble. I honestly urge you to reassess whether you are, indeed, mercilessly dunking on said human rights activists.

Edit: Unless you're litigating in a domestic court, in which case none of that poo poo applies

GET MONEY posted:

law seems at the very least less rote

The only things more rote than law are data entry, accounting, and translations

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
If he loves the law, he loves the law. Don’t stop a man from his dream. He even offered to take up alcohol.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
what's the point of being a lawyer if I can't afford a drinking habit

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
What’s the point of a drinking habit if you don’t get to gamble with other people’s livelihood and freedom

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
This is all way too on the nose to be real.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
There’s a reason Cassandra, as a literary concept, has been around for thousands of years.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

GET MONEY, you should go to law school. Just keep posting here while you do.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Hoshi posted:

Also are you sure you don't want your constantly changing challenges to be something like starting a family and finding ways to lead a happy life as opposed to creative solutions to rear end in a top hat clients who probably won't pay you, but maybe they will?

Unequivocally way more interested in the latter. The only other job with a similar profile I think I might enjoy is management consulting. Something's strangely appealing about the mix of mind-numbing jargon, adversarial advocacy, and all-encompassing work that leaves no room for life balance.

Kalman posted:

You should definitely go to a U.S. law school so we can enjoy hearing about how you failed to get work authorization and you're barred from working in the U.S. in 3 years.

This is one of my larger concerns. What are firms like on hiring a Canadian? I know it's relatively simple right now with TN visas until NAFTA implodes. And is the job market really still terrible for everyone? Because I hear that a lot but I know from experience most people seeking employment are morons with a Comic Sans resume and no common sense or relevant skills. My tech background, though I want to leave it behind, in line with where law seems to be heading w/r/t finally embracing "big data" and AI and all that.

TheMadMilkman posted:

That's not true.

Some days you draft a contract for the dry cleaning service. Other days you draft a contract for the food delivery service.

I mean, sure, it's the same template and you just change the names, but hey, that's different!

Maybe "rote" wasn't the right word. But my understanding is if I'm not doing corporate transactional work there's a wide variety of research and problem solving to do even if you wind up putting all your conclusions into the same boilerplate filing.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Like, submitting stuff like this, or all the other case files you guys post here actually sounds fun. Am I a Broken Person and does that just mean I'm going to do great in law school?

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you go to law school, you’ll end up in the middle of your class most likely and get a 50-60k/yr job to start. If you’re actually hard working enough to get to the top of your class, you might get a biglaw job where you’ll slave away for $150k with absolutely no life outside of being a biglaw associate.

That’s if you can find a job. There’s a drat good chance that you will spend a fuckton of time and effort getting a JD and be completely unable to find gainful employment at all.

Missed this one, I think I can reasonably end up in the top 25% of the class. Aren't there any starting jobs in the $80-$90K salary range with room to grow? I'm not opposed to biglaw per se but I'm not a gunner (I choose not to gun) and I'll have effectively no network to lean on for job opportunities.

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 6, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

GET MONEY, you should go to law school. Just keep posting here while you do.

I think his posts are raising my blood pressure right now I don't know if I can survive this

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

He just jumped the shark on his troll.

The worst part is people sincerely have that attitude. It's so loving lol to think people still go to law school after reading this thread.

I'm serving as a witness for a mock trial competition tomorrow morning. National trial competition in Austin, Texas. Can't wait to loudly go "well, I OVERHEARD that his CHARACTER is TRUTHFUL" when being questioned.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

He just jumped the shark on his troll.

The worst part is people sincerely have that attitude. It's so loving lol to think people still go to law school after reading this thread.

I was molded by these forums so I can't help but post with a certain level of smartassery but I'm 100% facing this decision and not trolling. I mean for all the gripes in this thread almost all of you seem to have wound up with decent jobs.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

GET MONEY posted:

I was molded by these forums so I can't help but post with a certain level of smartassery but I'm 100% facing this decision and not trolling. I mean for all the gripes in this thread almost all of you seem to have wound up with decent jobs.

Best of luck, we're always here for you

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Tell us you're stats (gpa/lsat), age, the schools you've been accepted to with scholarship, and where you want to live the rest of your life.

Without this, we can assist no further. No one is going to doxx you from this info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Tell us you're stats (gpa/lsat), age, the schools you've been accepted to with scholarship, and where you want to live the rest of your life.

Without this, we can assist no further. No one is going to doxx you from this info.

B average in undergrad, LSAT is top 3%, and I'd graduate in my early 30's. No home or spouse or chains to any particular location. LLS offered $ and I'd be OK with living the rest of my life in southern California or some other perennially warm jurisdiction. UCLA would be fantastic but without scholarship would be hard to justify. Still waiting to hear from BC/Ontario schools but Canada overall is so GPA focused I'm not particularly hopeful. My Canadian alternative right now is three years of penance in Manitoba but I think the cold might drive me insane and the US degree can go farther.

edit: if any OPPS are reading this they must declare themselves otherwise this whole hypothetical is just another apples from the poision bush because i've been doing some reading to get ahead and

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 6, 2018