Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Leal posted:

I was considering that. I figured Doug posing it as a question matches his complete misunderstanding of everything.

Brief aside: I'm kinda late to this whole Channel Awesome/NC/sexual harassment and general assholery, but I'm kinda glad I found this thread because the more I learn about NC the more I realize he's a complete idiot. I stopped watching after realizing he was incredibly shallow in film analysis (his entire point on A.I. being a good movie is because Kubrick wanted to be Spielberg and therefore the movie should be given a pass....what?), but it's downright fascinating to know that this inability to understand film pretty much extends to everything in his life. From testing a mace can by spraying it into a sink to randomly eating a cinnabon that he happened to find in a strange room.....I'm just really glad I found this thread, because everybody still hanging with CA is either a monster or a complete fool.

I'm seriously wondering if Brad Jones is going to bother leaving since he seems the only one with a bit of talent. He seems to be immune to doing whatever he wants to do and so far hasn't come off as a complete sleazebag. Please direct me to the right page if I'm far, far off the mark here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Holy poo poo the stuff with Dan in Lindsey's section...

I'm so sorry you had (and hopefully are not still having) to go through that.

It blows my mind that not only are they such terrible, arrogant people, but they’re so bad at everything. Usually abusers and exploiters have some kind of talent or resources that people use to ignore and justify the horrible things they do. It’s 2018 and their best accomplishment is still having some dork who’s pushing 40 screech incredulously at a cd-i machine.

These assholes just fell rear end-backwards into the perfect place and time and were so ungrateful that they couldn’t stop treating people like poo poo for five minutes.

God drat.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Brad has said he's staying because he considers the Walkers friends, but I haven't read a single negative thing said about him. He just strikes me as the type of person to stay away from the conflict.

Given how popular that stream was yesterday I'm not sure if he'll be there in the long run.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Brad Jones has dealt with Jerrid Folies and Josh Hadley, so at this point he's more like the Dwayne Johnson of B-Movie reviewing.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Brad has the constant and repeating problem of just never ever knowing when to just loving sever.

He is overly loyal unto death for anyone he considers friends, and this has shown, especially with Jake, to backfire spectacularly.

I offhandedly said Brad wouldn't leave until he caught Doug sleeping with his wife and it feels all too prescient.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think the big lesson this thread has taught me is to focus on the work and stay in the realm of ideas or political action (unless someone turns out to be a sexmonster or a Doug, of course).

It actually makes me a little nervous seeing Brad do videos with his wife after they were so careful to keep their life off of youtube. It was nice when the internet was mostly a fun clubhouse, but that’s long gone now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FoldableHuman posted:

Does "being hired literally to be dedicated experienced camera operator" count as "stuck"?

I guess not, and that's a good thing. I did think the one shot of you sitting in front of Bag End wax nice.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Playstation 4 posted:

Brad has the constant and repeating problem of just never ever knowing when to just loving sever.

He is overly loyal unto death for anyone he considers friends, and this has shown, especially with Jake, to backfire spectacularly.

I offhandedly said Brad wouldn't leave until he caught Doug sleeping with his wife and it feels all too prescient.

Yeah, Brad does seem to have the worst luck when it comes to people loving him over. Then again, that seems to be the case when you don't know when to cut and run. That said, he seems to be the untouchable one in this whole situation: he manages to hang with both Lupa and the Walkers so I guess he's either incredibly likeable, a real professional, or simply too nice to put his foot down and make a decision.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Brad has basically said he'll stick with the Walkers through thick and thin. IIRC they actually hosted him when his Youtube channel was taken down and they've been loyal friends since, though Brad has taken potshots at CA before (He's still pretty bitter that he never saw a cent from his content being put on League of Super Critics). As admirable a trait as his loyalty is, Brad really should consider leaving soon. Unlike some other people on the site (who are pretty much just staying because some small part of them is aware that they'll not get another network if they leave), Brad could and basically has gone solo.

Regarding the stream, I've not had any problems with it myself and I'm just about to get to his reading on Linkara's section.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Is that stream do any more than read the document? Because I already read that, and it wasn’t something I really want to read again.

He comments in reaction to things on it. It's nothing super unusual, though, from the bit I watched, so... eh. Marzgurl's stream reading the "apology" was better for entertainment. This stream seems just like something for people who haven't read the thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Is that stream do any more than read the document? Because I already read that, and it wasn’t something I really want to read again.

Yeah I didn't realize just how popular "reading something" is on youtube. I checked out youtube to see people's different opinions on the matter and... I saw like 3 of those? The rest were just people reading the document, not even adding their own input. Just an A to Z reading of the document. Its not even like they were doing in a sultry voice or in ASMR. I don't get youtube.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

GoneRampant posted:

That Down The Rabbit Hole stream was the #1 stream on Youtube last night, if anyone's curious.

I bet it was at least 7102 people.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Leal posted:

Yeah I didn't realize just how popular "reading something" is on youtube. I checked out youtube to see people's different opinions on the matter and... I saw like 3 of those? The rest were just people reading the document, not even adding their own input. Just an A to Z reading of the document. Its not even like they were doing in a sultry voice or in ASMR. I don't get youtube.

I tend to like things like that because I do a lot of drawing work, so it's more efficient to be able to listen to someone read aloud while I work than to read a thing on my own, where I have to not be working.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Leal posted:

Fred has nearly 200K subs and he did just put out the video on Spoony. He was probably gonna wind up getting caught up in the Doc regardless. I did hear him say at least once during the stream that he'd be strongly considering a full video on Channel Awesome after reading some the document.

lornekates posted:

I bet it was at least 7102 people.

8K while I was there, after I went to sleep the chat says it passed 12,000. The stream itself already has 95K views.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Puppy Time posted:

He comments in reaction to things on it. It's nothing super unusual, though, from the bit I watched, so... eh. Marzgurl's stream reading the "apology" was better for entertainment. This stream seems just like something for people who haven't read the thing.

He's not doing it with hyperbolic flair. He's just utterly drained by the end of the document, especially anonymous 1's account. It's one thing to read something but hearing it out loud can also put things into a new perspective. In this case it highlights just how awful things got.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I legit thought Channel Awesome was dead for years, so finding out it was still alive and has had this much drama, especially with Brad, is shocking to me.

Like, I stopped around early 2012 and imagine suddenly finding out what the last six years were like

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I mean Brad's pretty much the most non-involved part of all of it, he's just still there and doing his thing.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah Brad's drama all involved people he was close to on his own shows and projects.

GoneRampant posted:

Yeah, Brad has basically said he'll stick with the Walkers through thick and thin. IIRC they actually hosted him when his Youtube channel was taken down and they've been loyal friends since, though Brad has taken potshots at CA before (He's still pretty bitter that he never saw a cent from his content being put on League of Super Critics). As admirable a trait as his loyalty is, Brad really should consider leaving soon. Unlike some other people on the site (who are pretty much just staying because some small part of them is aware that they'll not get another network if they leave), Brad could and basically has gone solo.

Regarding the stream, I've not had any problems with it myself and I'm just about to get to his reading on Linkara's section.

That was Spoony who hosted him when his channel tanked, he moved to CA on Spoony's recommendation. I remember it because I used to just go to Spoony's site for his reviews and vlogs and discovered Brad and his old Zombie knock off Cinema Snob vids on their.

I feel for Brad, he joked about it but having to take part in that horrible game show with so many re-shoots had to have been draining.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So are we not supposed to like Brad, or that Tyger guy who got mentioned earlier? I don't know anything about Tyger, but I really like Brad and his videos. However, I don't think people are going to be happy if he stays with CA.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just focus on Channel Awesome being bad and don’t worry about the choices of producers. Maven is still on CA (for now) and she is for sure very ethically minded and well aware of how lovely they are. Remember that part of how they’re lovely is by creating conditions of dependency, and that they treat the producers very badly.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

business hammocks posted:

Just focus on Channel Awesome being bad and don’t worry about the choices of producers. Maven is still on CA (for now) and she is for sure very ethically minded and well aware of how lovely they are. Remember that part of how they’re lovely is by creating conditions of dependency, and that they treat the producers very badly.

On the other hand, Maven also has a toddler. She might not even know something's going on. You tend to lose track of, well, everything once they learn to talk and run and throw things.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'd be shocked if Maven didn't know, at the very least she's got to be aware of how much of a trainwreck Suburban Knights and To Boldly Flee were since she worked on them.

She could be trying to keep her head down because she needs to hang on to all the revenue she can get, kids are fuckin expensive after all.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

So are we not supposed to like Brad, or that Tyger guy who got mentioned earlier? I don't know anything about Tyger, but I really like Brad and his videos. However, I don't think people are going to be happy if he stays with CA.

I mean in terms of personal ethics and morality, that's your own call to make.

In terms of what those involved have been saying, sure, keep supporting the creators who are still with CA, just don't support CA.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The problem is with management not content producers. You treat the cause first not the symptoms, and in this case it's hardly ad if the content producers are symptoms of one man's sociopathy

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Brief aside: I'm kinda late to this whole Channel Awesome/NC/sexual harassment and general assholery, but I'm kinda glad I found this thread because the more I learn about NC the more I realize he's a complete idiot. I stopped watching after realizing he was incredibly shallow in film analysis (his entire point on A.I. being a good movie is because Kubrick wanted to be Spielberg and therefore the movie should be given a pass....what?), but it's downright fascinating to know that this inability to understand film pretty much extends to everything in his life. From testing a mace can by spraying it into a sink to randomly eating a cinnabon that he happened to find in a strange room.....I'm just really glad I found this thread, because everybody still hanging with CA is either a monster or a complete fool.

So what does everyone think Doug's worst movie takes are?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I remember one of the big ones was not understanding Last Action Hero and treating it completely straight.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Solitair posted:

Let's start with "all of them" and work our way down from there. In terms of his actual production, it always struck me that he did so many reviews after other TGWTG people did them. Someone did the math once and he did ten movies right after MikeJ did them for Shameful Sequels, and he stole Mike's video premise of defending the prequels. Not hard to see why Mike felt like he was ignored by CA.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Solitair posted:

Listen to the director's commentaries of the anniversary films

Thats when I first realized this guy was clueless

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

TBH a fair few of the folk who are still there like Larry are happy enough to openly badmouth them anyway ('cause hey, as MikeJ said, it's not like any of the people outside of the US even exist to the management really). Like they could do poo poo to him anyway tbh.

Have we mentioned that the reason why Doug doesn't like going to cons is because he once walked into a room he was going to do a talk in, saw some cinnabons, shouted "HEY! FREE CINNABON!!" and ate it only to be told that it had been frosted using a Bad Dragon dildo?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GoneRampant posted:

Let's start with "all of them" and work our way down from there. In terms of his actual production, it always struck me that he did so many reviews after other TGWTG people did them. Someone did the math once and he did ten movies right after MikeJ did them for Shameful Sequels, and he stole Mike's video premise of defending the prequels. Not hard to see why Mike felt like he was ignored by CA.

Not a movie take, but he did a cd-i review in 2017. Trying to branch out into Irate Gamer material a decade too late, I guess.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

Have we mentioned that the reason why Doug doesn't like going to cons is because he once walked into a room he was going to do a talk in, saw some cinnabons, shouted "HEY! FREE CINNABON!!" and ate it only to be told that it had been frosted using a Bad Dragon dildo?

I don't know if that's THE reason, but it's funny as hell.

Frankly, I'm hoping we get some more stories in that vein, because dumb jerks owning themselves is always the best thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

The problem is with management not content producers. You treat the cause first not the symptoms, and in this case it's hardly ad if the content producers are symptoms of one man's sociopathy

yea if someone becomes a toady for management like Some Jerk did gently caress em but I'm not gonna hold anyone going 'uh yea I want things to be good here and I hope things get better' while staying on against them if they're not the boss. I'm disappointed in some but also understand there's a lot more politic involved than just agreement or disagreement when you're a worker and your boss is being a shithead.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Doug Walker viewed animals getting rabies in Zootopia as an allegory for Trump Supporters. Doug not even understanding children's films is a common thing. In the Midnight Screening video he did with Brad he criticized the movie because he thought it was claiming the Goosebumps books were legitimately scary. He somehow missed the fact that this is said by a character whose defining characteristic is that he's scared of everything.

I also think I remembering him saying that Juno's subplot with Jason Bateman was completely pointless.

I could go on, but you really could make an entire book out of this stuff.

Edit: Oh, snap. I just remembered him making some really weird sexual jokes during that Goosebumps video as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn’t he have trouble figuring out the plot of Ernest Scared Stupid because there was some kind of surprise reveal when Ernest fought the troll?

It was either that or he couldn’t understand that it wasn’t in continuity with Ernest Goes to Jail. And it’s very clearly explained in that movie that Ernest loses his electrical powers at the end anyway, so it wouldn’t even make any difference.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Didn’t he have trouble figuring out the plot of Ernest Scared Stupid because there was some kind of surprise reveal when Ernest fought the troll?

It was either that or he couldn’t understand that it wasn’t in continuity with Ernest Goes to Jail. And it’s very clearly explained in that movie that Ernest loses his electrical powers at the end anyway, so it wouldn’t even make any difference.

Doug was baffled to no end by "The Great Divide", the one episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender that's universally reviled in large part because it's so simple and shallow compared to the rest of the series that it's almost incongruous, and even the creative team disavowed it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

GoneRampant posted:

I haven't watched Doug in years, and I don't have any desire to, but back when I watch and enjoyed some of his stuff, he was at his best when he was just making fun of some dumb goofy poo poo like Kazaam or Captain Planet and seemed in over his head when he tried to do any sort of actual criticism. Also, his videos were better when they were like 10 minutes instead of 30+, which I'm guessing was a product of YouTube's limitations on video length at the time. Like, he was never outstanding at anything, but he was reasonably okay as a silly comedy act for a while when I didn't have to see that much of him and didn't have to think about what kind of a douche he is off-camera.

Also, back in those early days, the CA critics as a whole were generally pretty good about not covering ground the others had already done, unless they were putting a different spin on it. But it was pretty clear around the time I tuned out, he was out of ideas by then, so I'm not surprised he just started ripping other people's ideas.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Meanwhile, another long-term and nerdy Internet reviewer is so much better in every way and good enough to correctly point out that "Fly" is easily one of the best episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EOmNXjvBNQ

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

rujasu posted:

I haven't watched Doug in years, and I don't have any desire to, but back when I watch and enjoyed some of his stuff, he was at his best when he was just making fun of some dumb goofy poo poo like Kazaam or Captain Planet and seemed in over his head when he tried to do any sort of actual criticism. Also, his videos were better when they were like 10 minutes instead of 30+, which I'm guessing was a product of YouTube's limitations on video length at the time. Like, he was never outstanding at anything, but he was reasonably okay as a silly comedy act for a while when I didn't have to see that much of him and didn't have to think about what kind of a douche he is off-camera.

Also, back in those early days, the CA critics as a whole were generally pretty good about not covering ground the others had already done, unless they were putting a different spin on it. But it was pretty clear around the time I tuned out, he was out of ideas by then, so I'm not surprised he just started ripping other people's ideas.

That's kind of the thing, Doug shined as bright as he did for as long as he did because he was a comedian above all else; he wasn't smart, but he was at least funny. Over time though, his schtick stopped being funny because he stopped giving a poo poo and everyone moved on without him, because people like Lindsay, Dan, Lupa, Kyle, et al. were able to be funny AND smart at the same time. Like, Brad's Cinema Snob stuff isn't particularly insightful, all told, and hasn't really evolved much from its default mode in close to 10 years beyond tightening the process of everything up, but I'll still watch the odd episode of it because Brad Jones is funny as poo poo.

I can't say the same for Doug.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I also remember the time he based an entire episode on how the Leprechaun movie wasn't scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Conal Cochran posted:

Doug Walker viewed animals getting rabies in Zootopia as an allegory for Trump Supporters.

To be fair, from someone not Doug that could probably work.

• Locked thread