Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Oh, that's awesome. I was thinking about going back to gen 5 so I can get an Ambipom with Power-Up Punch. Unless I'm missing something, that seems to be only Pokémon who has access to both.

(Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan can learn it, but not Hitmontop, the only Tyrogue evolution with Technician. :()

Edit: Nevermind Ambipom. Thought it was Fighting type for some reason.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Breloom has Technician and gets Power-Up Punch by TM in XY/ORAS.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Haha, I hadn't really looked into Breloom because it's so popular, so of course it's the best at the exact thing I'm trying to do.

Also good to know Power-Up Punch is gen 6, not gen 5. I have it on a Nidoqueen who I could've sworn was in my Black 2 party, but no, she was from Y.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

try looking into pup on mega kangaskhan op

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
https://twitter.com/Bazoookles/status/981230703407960064

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Pokemon Megathread 7.5: Turn that frown upside down

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I just finished the Alola Dex and needed some place to post about it when I realized I'd forgotten all about this thread. gosh.

anyway now I'm trying to put together a battle tree team and failing miserably at it. it's frustrating that none of the mons I used in story mode seem capable of doing anything than getting their clock cleaned

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Why do most competitive players run a special set when using a Nidoking with Sheer Force? It feels like you'd get a lot more mileage out of using Thunder Punch over Thunderbolt when his base attack stat is almost a good 20 points higher than his special one. You could invest into your speed EVs or special/physical defensive ones instead of banking them on his special attack ones.

I dunno, seems like a weird move to pull. Thoughts on this?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Why do most competitive players run a special set when using a Nidoking with Sheer Force? It feels like you'd get a lot more mileage out of using Thunder Punch over Thunderbolt when his base attack stat is almost a good 20 points higher than his special one. You could invest into your speed EVs or special/physical defensive ones instead of banking them on his special attack ones.

I dunno, seems like a weird move to pull. Thoughts on this?

Timid Nidoking has 269 special attack, while Jolly Nidoking has 303 attack. Thunderbolt has 90 base power, while Thunder Punch has 75. Damage is multiplicative.

303 * 75 = 22725 for a physical attacker, while 269 * 90 = 24210 for a special attacker. Another way of thinking about it is that Thunderbolt is 20% stronger than Thunder Punch, but Nidoking's attack can only be about 12.6% higher than its special attack.

Additionally, on average, enemies tend to have higher physical defense than special defense.

Poison Jab (80) is similarly disadvantaged against Sludge Wave (95). The only move of note where a physical set would have an advantage is Earthquake (100), which beats Earth Power (90).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
But it's Sheer Force, so Earth Power is like 117 base vs. 100 Earthquake.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

But it's Sheer Force, so Earth Power is like 117 base vs. 100 Earthquake.

Oh right, I forgot that part.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This shiny charm doesn't do jack when it comes to hatching for shinies :saddowns:

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Bongo Bill posted:

303 * 75 = 22725 for a physical attacker, while 269 * 90 = 24210 for a special attacker. Another way of thinking about it is that Thunderbolt is 20% stronger than Thunder Punch, but Nidoking's attack can only be about 12.6% higher than its special attack.

Additionally, on average, enemies tend to have higher physical defense than special defense.

That was real you helpful! Thank you!!

Just completed my Alola dex. Enjoyed the new post game in ultra sun. I’m trying for living dex now. Does anyone know how the heck I’m supposed to get a marshadow? I have a lot of legendaries to trade, but it’s not on GTS :(

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What is the deal with the three genies, why do two of them engage in slap fights till the big bro has to knock their heads together Three Stooges style cause he works weeknights

Black and White was the one game I ignored so the whole mythos behind it are generally ??? for me

EDIT: also they're typing is weird

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Truecon420 posted:

That was real you helpful! Thank you!!

Just completed my Alola dex. Enjoyed the new post game in ultra sun. I’m trying for living dex now. Does anyone know how the heck I’m supposed to get a marshadow? I have a lot of legendaries to trade, but it’s not on GTS :(

Don't search for an existing trade, you won't find anything. Make your own, upload your mon to the GTS, then wait.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Parrotine posted:

What is the deal with the three genies, why do two of them engage in slap fights till the big bro has to knock their heads together Three Stooges style cause he works weeknights

Black and White was the one game I ignored so the whole mythos behind it are generally ??? for me

they're based on japanese wind and thunder gods and also thundurus is cool

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Parrotine posted:

America has no mythos so they had to improvise with some rejected japanese legendary designs.
Still mad we didn't get a Bigfoot legendary in Gen V.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Kikas posted:

America has no mythos so they had to improvise with some rejected japanese legendary designs.

They probably didn't include a Bigfoot since we just had a Yeti tree in Gen IV.

I think Gen V was the generation where Pokémon had the idea to make the regions represented had an "exotic flair" to them and Unova was the first attempt. Both in what Pokémon can be found and what a region based on New York state could be like.

Also the games have always had Pokémon that seem "misplaced" when you take the real life region into account. You can't find wild elephants in Japan, France isn't well known for their bamboo groves and the pandas that inhabit them and orangutans aren't native to Hawaii. Yet these all exist in Pokémon.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not sure sun lions and moon bats are a big deal in Pacific mythology, nor have I heard of the Letters of Life and Death that pervade French mythology.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm not sure sun lions and moon bats are a big deal in Pacific mythology, nor have I heard of the Letters of Life and Death that pervade French mythology.

France also isn't well known for its Masked Mexican Wrestlers

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Parrotine posted:

The typings are not weird when you realize that Flying also covers Wind-type (in a thematical sense).

Just like some other types pull double (or even triple) duty as well, like Paper and Wood getting slotted under Grass, Glass getting slotted under Rock, Alien and Light getting slotted under Psychic, etc.

They can't give Wind, Alien, etc. all their own types because the type chart would grow too big and complex, so they just lump them in with thematically related types.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kikas posted:

less laughter posted:

This explains so much:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

France also isn't well known for its Masked Mexican Wrestlers

Hawlucha is a legendary in my heart.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Don't search for an existing trade, you won't find anything. Make your own, upload your mon to the GTS, then wait.

Thank you! Any idea what I should put up for in exchange? What would people trade marshadow for? A Thundurus ?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

less laughter posted:

The typings are not weird when you realize that Flying also covers Wind-type (in a thematical sense).

Just like some other types pull double (or even triple) duty as well, like Paper and Wood getting slotted under Grass, Glass getting slotted under Rock, Alien and Light getting slotted under Psychic, etc.

They can't give Wind, Alien, etc. all their own types because the type chart would grow too big and complex, so they just lump them in with thematically related types.

I'd say "Light" fits in more with Fairy than Psychic, but there's probably some overlap

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ultra Necrozma is made of light and is Psychic/Dragon. Its signature move "Light that Burns the Sky" is Psychic as well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I'd say "Light" fits in more with Fairy than Psychic, but there's probably some overlap

There's also light associated with Bug (Tail Glow, Signal Beam) Normal (Simple Beam, Hyper Beam, Leer) Steel (Flash Cannon, Mirror Shot)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I'd say "Light" fits in more with Fairy than Psychic

why's that?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

presumably because of Moonlight and Light of Ruin (and maybe Dazzling Gleam)

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Oh whoops, I was thinking "Light" in the "Good/Holy" sense, not in the literal illumination sense

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't think kizaru would be psychic. probably electric maybe or normal. or fairy

akainu and aokiji would obviously be fire and ice

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kikas posted:

Uhhhhh yeah no. It totally does, they were lazy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Truecon420 posted:

Thank you! Any idea what I should put up for in exchange? What would people trade marshadow for? A Thundurus ?

Thundurus could work, seeing how it's a version exclusive legendary. Try, worst case scenario you just lost a bit of time.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
I thought you couldn't trade for event-exclusive pokemon on the GTS?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Event Pokémon can't be traded through WonderTrade or the GTS. Specifically, anything with ribbons such as the Classic Ribbon, Premier Ribbon, Event Ribbon, or Wishing Ribbon prevent them from being traded this way.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Actually I think the thing about choosing special vs physical is less of a fact that the average defense stat is higher than the average special defense stat, which might be true, but there are more things that just have particularly bad special defense than things that have bad defense. Chansey excepted, most things that can take special hits can also take physical hits well, and honestly Chansey isn't even that fragile on the physical side. On the other hand, there are plenty of physically bulky pokemon that don't like tanking neutral special hits (Skarmory, Scizor, Zygarde, Tangrowth, Alomomola). Also, among the things with "good" special defense, a lot of them are offensive pokemon with poor HP stats that don't invest in HP, so they aren't actually that bulky on the special side anyways. Have you ever thought about the following pokemon as special walls? Tapu Lele, Latios, Hoopa-U, Alakazam, Mega Charizard Y.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Kikas posted:

America has no mythos

this is a truly astounding assertion

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

indigi posted:

this is a truly astounding assertion

are you a Magikarp because you sure took that bait hard

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

continuing my Platinum playthrough, and I just remembered how great the music is in the Galactic HQ once you get past the first floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

Actually I think the thing about choosing special vs physical is less of a fact that the average defense stat is higher than the average special defense stat, which might be true, but there are more things that just have particularly bad special defense than things that have bad defense. Chansey excepted, most things that can take special hits can also take physical hits well, and honestly Chansey isn't even that fragile on the physical side. On the other hand, there are plenty of physically bulky pokemon that don't like tanking neutral special hits (Skarmory, Scizor, Zygarde, Tangrowth, Alomomola). Also, among the things with "good" special defense, a lot of them are offensive pokemon with poor HP stats that don't invest in HP, so they aren't actually that bulky on the special side anyways. Have you ever thought about the following pokemon as special walls? Tapu Lele, Latios, Hoopa-U, Alakazam, Mega Charizard Y.

Yeah, this. And also, physical attackers have to deal with their attack stat getting cut by things like burns and Intimidate (which is a much bigger deal in doubles than it is in singles), which special attackers don't particularly care about.