Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

berzerkmonkey posted:

Dipping only really works on organic hordes - zombies, Nids, muscle dudes, lots of fabric (IG.) It looks pretty bad on armor.

I whole-heartedly disagree on this. My Ret is all dipped, mostly is in armour, and according to other people looks good.

Examples:

I've also done lots of older stuff with armour and dipping. It turned out fine, but I also play my slice as it were and know how to properly highlight stuff to make it look good afterwards. And everything I do has very "anime-inspired" bright coloration that makes works well with dip + highlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wonder how Necrons would look dipped.

Also I'm not dead, just so loving busy that I barely have time to do anything, let alone paint.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am having flash backs to desperately trying to get a Warhammer Fantasy army painted to a big tournament several years ago. Dipping is a great way to get stuff to a nice tabletop standard, but the problem is you never get better at "big boy" painting.

Like every technique it has its place, but if you are trying to push yourself to get better at painting it holds you back. If you just want to slam nice looking Hams and play games with finished armies, get to dipping.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

dexefiend posted:

I finished painting a thing!

dexefiend posted:

Here is my year-to-date Vior'la T'au:

Tomorrow, I start assembling 12 Kurnoth Hunters and 4 Treelords.

(I am waiting for the pigment fixative to dry before painting the base rims.)

Hey, I am all about not-dipping. I just know I can't do 120 murderdude guys without dipping.

Also, that damned beetle didn't fit in the can.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Very nice bug elf

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I put a squad of immortals together today.
I think it's impressive how much individuality you can put in their poses given that the only thing you can mess with is the position of the head and the waist joint.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have ton of AdMech to put together, prime and paint along with my display board. I haven't been able to work on any of it as my semester has entered into the crunch zone. Good news is that it's my last semester, so looking forward to having more time to wargame & paint.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder how Necrons would look dipped.

Also I'm not dead, just so loving busy that I barely have time to do anything, let alone paint.

I had a buddy who used Necrons as the basis for an old Tomb Kings army and dipped them. They looked pretty good, but I think he chose colors that were a bit too dark. If you are going with a nice brought solid color like light blue, blood red, or white, I think it would look boss. Again, you have to go over these colors afterwards with highlights and need to dullcote the crap out of everything.

The places where you improve your painting with dip is really everywhere away from the brush. I know that I improved dramatically in color choice and visualization since I started dipping fifteen or so years ago. All the painting technique in the world won't help you if you choose colors that are too close together and don't have a fairly high gradient on highlights. Your model will look like you did nothing but basecoats and all your hard work will be for nothing. I've worked with several people over the years who I saw put real effort in on their figs, but choosing a lovely mud palette ruined any chance of their figures looking like something other than dull crap on the table.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Red done on 31/40.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Finished test minis for battlelore!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Did some turret work:

Might look at doing heat discoloration on it and the Punisher gun I've got here.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cross-posting the test model for my Necron scheme:

Corrode posted:

Warhammer 40,000 8th edition: We are all robots now. Cool oldcrons, those old models are a fun precursor to the modern Necron look.

I finished off the test model for my future 'crons army this morning. Pleased with the look although inevitably I've noticed the little bits of basing which have crept onto his cable/calf and where some Ironbreaker has crept onto the gold on his skull:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dexefiend posted:

Red done on 31/40.

You're starting these guys in brass then adding the reds?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Added the blue stripe to the chainsword and started on the brass trim, got a few more armor pieces to add brass trim to and then that’s all done.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Turned out pretty well! That’s a daunting colour scheme to do by hand.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
I have been snipping and cleaning MkIV marines from the BaC boxset in an effort to begin my Armies on Parade submission. So many mans.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ijyt posted:

Turned out pretty well! That’s a daunting colour scheme to do by hand.

I was going to freehand it, but then I remembered that I’d bought painter’s tape for exactly that purpose. :doh:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not the best pic, but my Handsome Blood Bowl Boys are coming along. Just need numbers and bases.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just finished painting 122 pairs of pants.
Edit:

:captainpop:

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 6, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Remind me what this is in aid of again?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Corrode posted:

Remind me what this is in aid of again?

Khorne Bloodbound Speed-Painting Bloodreavers Super Challenge!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Seasoning my TOXX this morning.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Finish something? Why would I finish something when I can instead spend my time building a second one?

Whomever posted about Tamiya masking tape, thanks, that stuff is significantly better.

Also, as a further way to procrastinate doing the finishing details, I made a paint rack from that video tutorial that was posted in the painting thread I think. I like the result, sturdier than I thought it'd be.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

WIP of Celestine. I'm pretty happy with how her face/eyes turned out.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Seasoning my TOXX this morning.

Woooah, what's going on here?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I have been doing some dudes:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

always be closing posted:

You have to properly brine your figures for 24 hours before painting. It makes the end result incredibly juicy.

Don't you watch Duncan's videos?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

R0ckfish posted:

I have been doing some dudes:

Oh man I especially love those bases.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

always be closing posted:

Paint chipping, I'm guessing

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Aha! My experimentation have yielded incredible results! :science:

So, my Necron paint scheme, that I've been using since like 4th has the shoulders a metallic red, at the time achieved by many layers of the old Baal Red wash over silver.

Now, while I still have a pretty big reserve of Baal Red, it is finite. But more importantly, it's annoying to work with, and it smells like sweaty balls.

Tonight I discovered that a roughly 2:1 mix of Carroburg Crimson and Bloodletter glaze not only gives me the same hue, it's also easier to work with, and requires fewer coats.

The right pauldron is just plain old Baal Red, five coats.
The left one is the new mix, three coats.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Army Painter Red Tone is also likely similar. I plan on experimenting with some colors to see what I like, and red is one of them.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, I tried that one a while back. It's darker, and a hair more purple in hue.

I suppose that mixing in a bit of the almost orange bloodletter glaze would work for it too, but the mix I tried worked out with a really nice and easy ratio.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Half way through repainting the gold after filling in all the blue on guilliman, god this is an ordeal, took a break to do his helmet entirely though which turned out well.

Spent a good few hours painting the fire on the sword so thats out of the way, I've got 4 more days before my game with him so I might have to finish and varnish him and complete his base afterwards but who knows.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I started on my mystical bird man for the last month of the oath thread. I like how his robe is coming out but I feel like I made it too contrasty and now I don't know how I'm gonna do any freehand on it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I have 40 guys at this stage! Now onto edge highlighting, skin tones, and leather.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I put some basecoats on my (loosely) Hulkamania-themed Necro Orlocks tonight. These guys are gonna be a ton of fun.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

If you paint them up in Yu Jing colours, that means you can take them in your army, right? :D

https://imgur.com/a/iOMK1

I spent the day painting up the disassembled Szalamandra Squadron I've had sitting around since I bought it. Being so new to painting miniatures, it's very reassuring to look back at some of my first models and being able to measure my progress almost by date.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

dexefiend posted:

I just finished painting 122 pairs of pants.
Edit:

:captainpop:

You goddamn madman. How do you stay sane?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I have 40 guys at this stage! Now onto edge highlighting, skin tones, and leather.

reading this gave me a cold sweat

awesome work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genola
Apr 7, 2011
You crazy bastard. I was going nuts trying to finish one dude.

Good enough I think. I could highlight a bit more but I don’t really want to. Scout Sergeant Cyrus: