Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

I've been tempted to grab one just to see but haven't brought myself to do it.

Yeah I mean I already have a mavic (but I loving live in an airport zone so I can’t fly it anywhere near my house) but it the Tello seems kinda nifty and I already have a controller for my phone.

The picture quality seems pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
For that price you'd be better off getting a Hubsan H216A.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paying $99 for something with brushed motors is a little :doggo:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
OK guys. I bought a DX6e transmitter with a receiver, a mini ft scout, a power pack A, and a battery.

Also some guy traded me an RC plane called a Zip Stick for an Amazon Echo Dot I had laying around and never opened.

In have n no idea how any of this stuff works oh God.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 14, 2018

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

First loiter test of my new heli:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YftdsUkPIdo

Forgot my Gopro, but it was more than stable enough that I could grab my phone and snap this short video. The wind was swirling around a fair bit too, so I'm very happy.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YftdsUkPIdo

Forgot my Gopro, but it was more than stable enough that I could grab my phone and snap this short video. The wind was swirling around a fair bit too, so I'm very happy.

Cool poo poo. I'm surprised the prop is generating enough lift rotating that slowly :)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Slash posted:

Cool poo poo. I'm surprised the prop is generating enough lift rotating that slowly :)

Yeah and look at the way the blades are bending too. Is that safe?!?!?! :what:

ok make with the specs. I have a trex 450 clone that I've been too squeemish to fly

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 16, 2018

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah and look at the way the blades are bending too. Is that safe?!?!?! :what:

ok make with the specs. I have a trex 450 clone that I've been too squeemish to fly

Soxos 600 heli , Rail Blades, Savox Servos, Hobbywing 100A HV ESC, Scorpion HKIII-4034-335KV motor, Mauch PowerCube2 & power sensor, Pixhack V3 Pro, HERE GPS and current 2 x 5200mAh 6S Tattu lipo in series. Getting about 18 mins of hovering., which should translate to about 22 minutes of forward flight. That'll drop some with canopy, payload mounts & and new landing gear, but got new 8000mAhs arriving today, which should get me on the other side of 30 mins with full payload. (up to 1kg)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Oh okay, so you can definitely decapitate yourself with that thing :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oh yes! With 3500watts of peak power, it properly wouldn't even notice.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Oh yes! With 3500watts of peak power, it properly wouldn't even notice.

Neither would you!

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
As a heads up, it looks like the FAA is considering repealing section 336. They're getting asked by the 'Commercial Drone Alliance' to kill the part of the regulation that allows pretty much all hobby flying.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2018/04/13/write-congress-now-protect-section-336/

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BabelFish posted:

As a heads up, it looks like the FAA is considering repealing section 336. They're getting asked by the 'Commercial Drone Alliance' to kill the part of the regulation that allows pretty much all hobby flying.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2018/04/13/write-congress-now-protect-section-336/

Is this the "google wants to own 0-400ft" thing XJet was talking about a few days ago? That seemed pretty alarming.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It is. RIP US hobby flying.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evil_bunnY posted:

It is. RIP US hobby flying.

I'm from Toronto. Google is literally in the process of buying our downtown core.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Autonomous delivery drones are loving overrated anyway.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
What's the latest hotness on the multirotor front? I just gutted my old qav250 clone I built about 2 years ago and I want to build something fresh.

I had an SP Racing F3 flight controller, Littlebee ESC's strapped to each arm and a big clunky VTX in the trunk.

I know I want one of those 4-in-1 ESC's but is there anything else new and exciting I should be on the lookout for? I usually just fly recreational FPV around a few places in town, no racing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

johnnyonetime posted:

What's the latest hotness on the multirotor front? I just gutted my old qav250 clone I built about 2 years ago and I want to build something fresh.

I had an SP Racing F3 flight controller, Littlebee ESC's strapped to each arm and a big clunky VTX in the trunk.

I know I want one of those 4-in-1 ESC's but is there anything else new and exciting I should be on the lookout for? I usually just fly recreational FPV around a few places in town, no racing.

Your FC is still decent, does it have a Betaflight OSD on board? If not, you might want to think about replacing it with a CLRacing F4, or one of the Bardwell F4 boards. BF OSD is amazing compared to the old multiwii kind. If the F3 board doesn't have an OSD and you don't care about that, at the very least look into LUA scripts for your Taranis (also get a Taranis/QX7) so you can change settings on your fancy new TBS Unify VTX. Unify's are just perfect, you can power up right beside someone while they're flying and they won't even get a blip on their screen. Look, I even have on in my rig below! IRC Tramp's are also a good choice, but the 5v Unify is not only small, but THIN. The Tramp is thiccc

You should definitely swap the ESCs for Spedix or Aikon 30-35a. There is a thing called DShot now, which is a digital protocol instead of analog and it lets you do some more advanced things, like ESC reversing and playing the game of thrones theme when you plug the battery in. Turtle Mode(or anti turtle mode) was born out of the ESC reversing, it allows you to run certain motors in reverse to flip you over if you landed upside down.

Built up a Hyperlow CG with RevoltOSD. Finally giving Raceflight FlightOne a try now that they shoved some gimmicky poo poo in there. I can't do regular FCs anymore, I need a PDB or an OSD or a VTX or SOMETHING else on board. The Hyperlow is siiiiiick. Mounting points for everything, ziptie slots are exactly where they need to be.

EDIT: Oh yeah and my new Immortal T antenna is made of some sort of rubber now. The one on my Rooster is hard plsatic and cracked in a few places, this one should actually live up to its name.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 20, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You should mount the antenna vertically, if possible. Every antenna has null zones at the top and bottom along the antenna axis. When it's horizontal, the chances of being in the null zone are way way higher than if you were to use it vertically. TBS should have made some bullhorn version instead, which would be a nice compromise and essentially get rid of the nulls for the most part, by sacrificing a bit of range (which doesn't matter with miniquad flying distances).

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

Your FC is still decent, does it have a Betaflight OSD on board? If not, you might want to think about replacing it with a CLRacing F4, or one of the Bardwell F4 boards. BF OSD is amazing compared to the old multiwii kind. If the F3 board doesn't have an OSD and you don't care about that, at the very least look into LUA scripts for your Taranis (also get a Taranis/QX7) so you can change settings on your fancy new TBS Unify VTX. Unify's are just perfect, you can power up right beside someone while they're flying and they won't even get a blip on their screen. Look, I even have on in my rig below! IRC Tramp's are also a good choice, but the 5v Unify is not only small, but THIN. The Tramp is thiccc

You should definitely swap the ESCs for Spedix or Aikon 30-35a. There is a thing called DShot now, which is a digital protocol instead of analog and it lets you do some more advanced things, like ESC reversing and playing the game of thrones theme when you plug the battery in. Turtle Mode(or anti turtle mode) was born out of the ESC reversing, it allows you to run certain motors in reverse to flip you over if you landed upside down.

Built up a Hyperlow CG with RevoltOSD. Finally giving Raceflight FlightOne a try now that they shoved some gimmicky poo poo in there. I can't do regular FCs anymore, I need a PDB or an OSD or a VTX or SOMETHING else on board. The Hyperlow is siiiiiick. Mounting points for everything, ziptie slots are exactly where they need to be.

EDIT: Oh yeah and my new Immortal T antenna is made of some sort of rubber now. The one on my Rooster is hard plsatic and cracked in a few places, this one should actually live up to its name.

Awesome thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. The TBS Unify VTX looks sweet. I have various janky VTX's and that one looks really slick. I didn't know that DShot did the turtle mode which is really interesting. I do have my Taranis x9d so I am familiar with LUA scripts. I'll report back with what I end up building.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Use smart audio instead

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Sorry if I missed a recommendation post somewhere, but:

The school I work for is looking to blow some discretionary tech money and the topic of a drone came up for photography and film classes. We have a GoPro hero 5 Black already and an iPad for viewing it, so a camera would be a waste but it needs to have some kind of gimbal for the GoPro. I think the upper limit is around $500 CAD. Is there anything in this range that works?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAbuxcdYaQ

https://rotorbuilds.com/build/11758

Falcon Tinyshark on 2s, with an FXT T80 and Unify Nano. Thing rips, getting used to flying gates so I'm a little shaky in the video.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

The school I work for is looking to blow some discretionary tech money and the topic of a drone came up for photography and film classes. We have a GoPro hero 5 Black already and an iPad for viewing it, so a camera would be a waste but it needs to have some kind of gimbal for the GoPro. I think the upper limit is around $500 CAD. Is there anything in this range that works?

A used GoPro karma

Or just forget the GoPro and buy a spark or phantom 3 advanced

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tuyop posted:

Whatever DJI you can afford. Do not try to build something to stick your GoPro onto.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DVR from my newly upgraded Banshee. New power train and a bunch of aero-mods and it's much much faster,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLh9Lhk0fFA

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I’m a grown up y’all, just filed my first COA. Operating up to 3000’ AGL in a valley in Colorado. Gonna try and get a special permit for the National Park next door too.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice one!

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

So, haven't really done anything with my quad since august, because I've been away at school. At the time, I was working on a 4s 3" build with a betaflight f3. How out of date is it? I imagine it's fine, but is there anything new I'll be missing out on?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spiderbyte posted:

So, haven't really done anything with my quad since august, because I've been away at school. At the time, I was working on a 4s 3" build with a betaflight f3. How out of date is it? I imagine it's fine, but is there anything new I'll be missing out on?

It's all hype on the flight controller side, F3's are still perfectly viable. Let the github guys battle it out for a few more months. Definitely look into the new Emax 1106/4500kv or AirbladeUAV 1404 motors if you haven't already. Micro 4s motors have arrived, 1306/1407 is some heavy, old hat.

You can also get 1106/16000kv motors and run them on 2s now (I think my buddy's is 2.5") and you get a drat near silent little guy(compared to a 5" i mean, it'll definitely be louder than a tiny whoop) with a ton of pop.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

bring back old gbs posted:

It's all hype on the flight controller side, F3's are still perfectly viable. Let the github guys battle it out for a few more months. Definitely look into the new Emax 1106/4500kv or AirbladeUAV 1404 motors if you haven't already. Micro 4s motors have arrived, 1306/1407 is some heavy, old hat.

You can also get 1106/16000kv motors and run them on 2s now (I think my buddy's is 2.5") and you get a drat near silent little guy(compared to a 5" i mean, it'll definitely be louder than a tiny whoop) with a ton of pop.

Nice to hear. I haven't been able to tinker with any of it since August and I can't wait to get back at it. Haven't been able to scratch that flying itch in forever!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
The new Fatshark HDO looks like an awesome goggle with OLEDs, but they made it 4:3...?
Everything in the industry has been moving toward 16:9 for a while now and Fatshark releases a high end product that's a step back in tech. It seems like nearly everything they make has a dumb sacrifice built in, but it's pretty surprising that their flagship product would have such a glaring one. Am I missing something?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

All the top end fat sharks have been 4/3 forever, because that’s what’s best for dying quads. I wouldn’t give a poo poo if I flew fixed wing or helis, but 16/9 cam/goggles on a quad are a little silly IMO.

The reason everyone + dog has moved on to pano aspect ratio is the screens being way easier to source.

E: the real drawback of the HDO’s is the FoV angle.

If you’re gonna talk about dumb limitations, let’s talk about the fan power input, dumbass DVR, limited IPD, etc. The new faceplate is an improvement at least.

Their new battery with a usb charge circuit is also kinda cool, but prob takes hours and hours to charge since they have to step up the input. Just put a loving xt60 adapter in the box, jesus.
It’s on par with having an 18650 battery case but no way to change the low V alarm. These are the things that actually need fixing.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 27, 2018

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

It’s on par with having an 18650 battery case but no way to change the low V alarm. These are the things that actually need fixing.

*That* drives me nuts. "Oh, my 18650 hit 4v, I better beep annoyingly for the next 30 minutes". I keep meaning to make a plug-in stepup module to avoid that, but that then runs the risk of nuking the 18650's.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

evil_bunnY posted:

All the top end fat sharks have been 4/3 forever, because that’s what’s best for dying quads. I wouldn’t give a poo poo if I flew fixed wing or helis, but 16/9 cam/goggles on a quad are a little silly IMO.

My DOM V3s are 16:9, and my Caddx SDR1 camera is native 16:9 output. I thought the HD3 was also 16:9? With Runcam, Foxeer, and Caddx all making native wide cameras at the top end, I would have thought Fatshark would be continuing the trend but I guess not.
Quite frankly I went from 4:3 Attitude V2s up to my Dominators and I can't imagine going back to 4:3. There's so much more information to see around corners- at least for freestyle- I rarely race.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McMadCow posted:

My DOM V3s are 16:9, and my Caddx SDR1 camera is native 16:9 output. I thought the HD3 was also 16:9? With Runcam, Foxeer, and Caddx all making native wide cameras at the top end, I would have thought Fatshark would be continuing the trend but I guess not.
Quite frankly I went from 4:3 Attitude V2s up to my Dominators and I can't imagine going back to 4:3. There's so much more information to see around corners- at least for freestyle- I rarely race.
Dominators are 16:9, all dom HD’s are 4:3.

Aspect ratios are pretty much a taste thing. I fly cruise/acro; when bumbling around 16:9 would be great (since you spend most of your time scanning the horizon), but elevator-heavy acro moves in 4:3 are much more pleasant to me.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 27, 2018

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

*That* drives me nuts. "Oh, my 18650 hit 4v, I better beep annoyingly for the next 30 minutes". I keep meaning to make a plug-in stepup module to avoid that, but that then runs the risk of nuking the 18650's.

I've been debating cutting my Attitude v4's open and putting a trimmable pot in-line of the beeper red wire for volume control. Think that would work? I don't want to cut the beeper entirely, but it's loving annoying since I use 18650s for all my quad accessories

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I use a regulator cable, then plug a lipo alarm set to 3v/cell into my pack. Just what the doctor ordered for $500 goggles.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

moron izzard posted:

A used GoPro karma

Or just forget the GoPro and buy a spark or phantom 3 advanced

Thanks, and to you evil bunny.

Where do people (Canadians in particular) buy used drones? I found a website that looked promising and sent inquiries to two sellers, but a week later I’ve heard nothing back from them.

I also checked Kijiji but there was just nothing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I decided to play with FPV quads. I've got several years of electric fixed wing flying and had a couple of collective pitch helis I sucked at, but still finding the stick feel very challenging to get ahold of after a week or two of playing with sims and an acrobee. Mostly I'm astounded by how slow and precise everyone on youtube can fly tiny whoop variants around their houses; mine wants to accelerate like crazy in any direction and holding altitude is difficult. I'm still messing with rates to make it less aggressive.

How long did it take you guys to get over the hump of generally being able to put a quad where you want it? Even flying LOS this is quite challenging and I can't wait to get to where I can have some fun.