Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffles Inc. posted:

As a player and DM I absolutely love Beyond. It makes running D&D 5e (especially with players who are new to the game) so fuckin easy

this seems pretty aggro for the best 5e character building app there ever will be imo

Like, I can understand hating it if you bought all of the 5e stuff when it first came out and are miffed that you have to re-buy books--that seems reasonable. That said, for people new to the system I dunno why anyone would ever buy the physical copies again given how seamlessly Beyond integrates new content

He stated at one point he thought a site which was effectively a beta version of Beyond was way better. Which I don't understand as that site was ugly looking, did not have any character creation tools, and had little of the art. The only benefit it had over Beyond was that it was free and that was because it was blatantly illegal and pirated. Having copied everything word for word.

Edit:Also glad to hear your getting good use out of your product.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cool idea. If you want to know what the Elemental Princes of Good are they are Ben-hadar: Prince of Good Water, Chan: Princess of Good Air, Sunnis: Princess of Good Earth, Zaaman Rul: Prince of Good Fire.

They have a few interesting details if you are curious about them.

Are they applicable to the Greyhawk setting? Tell me more even if they aren't

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The way I look at it, I can get away with just buying the adventure book (in this case Strahd, I think it will be great for a sandboxy adventure) and just use it as a basic tool to run the campaign. It comes with all the monsters/items I'll need and outside of having a dice roller it speeds up my end since I get caught out not bookmarking particular things and it slows down play while I um and ah looking for a stat block I didn't expect to use.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Beyond is bad and embarrassing IMO, but given how WotC wants to do things it's the best official product people are going to get, so go for it if you haven't already bought a bunch of 5e stuff.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

tzirean posted:

Beyond is bad and embarrassing IMO

I get why one might say "bad", that's just like a taste thing but

embarrassing? wha?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tzirean posted:

Beyond is bad and embarrassing IMO, but given how WotC wants to do things it's the best official product people are going to get, so go for it if you haven't already bought a bunch of 5e stuff.

I've pretty much got all the books already, but test driving it as a resource for Phandelver was pretty good. It's 25% off books right now so I'm kind of tempted to just grab Strahd, PHB and Xanathars then get the players to reimburse me. They can then use my content for all their player desires as well is my understanding. It seems pretty good in that context since they aren't people that can afford to buy $50+ (aud) hardbacks on a whim.

e: do I need to buy a DM manual or anythng else? Are there more tools I will get as a DM for doing this? I understand that I can manage player sheets and stuff through it without the DM book, but I'd also hate to run into some stupid roadblock because I haven't unlocked the rules for a particular thing or whatever.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

JBP posted:

e: do I need to buy a DM manual or anythng else? Are there more tools I will get as a DM for doing this? I understand that I can manage player sheets and stuff through it without the DM book, but I'd also hate to run into some stupid roadblock because I haven't unlocked the rules for a particular thing or whatever.

you do not need the DMG in Beyond, no. you can see on this page the components it would unlock

https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/3

all of them are just like, some extra magic items and a few monsters. the "core" rulebook is the PHB

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

you do not need the DMG in Beyond, no. you can see on this page the components it would unlock

https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/3

all of them are just like, some extra magic items and a few monsters. the "core" rulebook is the PHB

Sweet. For all the complaining I've read about cost, spreading maybe $75US across 4-6 people and essentially granting them all magical computer access to my books and all their character stuff seems fine.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

I get why one might say "bad", that's just like a taste thing but

embarrassing? wha?

Not tying the physical book to the digital version and asking for a subscription fee to store extra characters is the kind of business model I'd expect from the music industry 15 years ago, not any major company now.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

tzirean posted:

Not tying the physical book to the digital version and asking for a subscription fee to store extra characters is the kind of business model I'd expect from the music industry 15 years ago, not any major company now.

not any major company? :psyduck: OP, subscriptions are the model for essentially everything now

netflix
hulu
spotify
newspapers/print (digital editions of those too)
the athletic (and other online "pure play" media)
mlb.tv (and other sports platforms)
hbo now
blue apron (and other food things)
adobe
every "box" in existence
patreon
etc etc and into infinity

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 6, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

JBP posted:

The DM manual is the book used least in day to day play.

There are only a couple of tables that are used for core gameplay regularly from them.

But if you want to think up a campaign or add some variety to your campaign the book becomes pretty useful.

JBP posted:

Sweet. For all the complaining I've read about cost, spreading maybe $75US across 4-6 people and essentially granting them all magical computer access to my books and all their character stuff seems fine.

There is some justified complaints about the sales channel fuckery where physical and digital do not play nice together.

The rest is just nerds bitching because nerds like to bitch.

Xae fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 6, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What exactly does Beyond get you? I can't find subscription tiers or something without registering, which I can't be assed to do right now.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Elysiume posted:

What exactly does Beyond get you? I can't find subscription tiers or something without registering, which I can't be assed to do right now.

A really good character generator and character sheet program and digital copies of the books.

You can play with the character gen for free with the SRD options. If you have the digital books through them the additional options unlock in the char gen program.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tzirean posted:

A Hideo Kojima Post

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Elysiume posted:

there's two tiers of subscriptions "hero" and "master"

hero gets you unlimited characters, the ability to create/access homebrew stuff and removes ads
master gets you all of that and enables content sharing for up to three campaigns

content sharing means that like, if I have Volo's, the PHB and other books unlocked, everyone in my campaign can see that unlocked content

other than that, it's an incredibly dope character builder/exporter, which gives you SRD level options if you're a free user. for what it's worth, the character sheet is also usable in game, with clickable spell slots and ability slots and HP adjusting and all that jazz. on the mobile web site the HP thing is even modeled like a scroll-bar--kinda neat.

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 6, 2018

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Waffles Inc. posted:

not any major company? :psyduck: OP, subscriptions are the model for essentially everything now

netflix
hulu
spotify
newspapers/print (digital editions of those too)
the athletic (and other online "pure play" media)
mlb.tv (and other sports platforms)
hbo now
blue apron (and other food things)
adobe
every "box" in existence
patreon
etc etc and into infinity

Okay but for those I don't buy the movie, and then also pay a subscription to watch them. Beyond is a ripoff, even if it is an effective product.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

fake edit: eh nm

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Gate posted:

Okay but for those I don't buy the movie, and then also pay a subscription to watch them. Beyond is a ripoff, even if it is an effective product.

By the same token I can't buy a movie on GooglePlay then share it with a whole group of people. I can't share my hardbooks with people if I'm reading them. I think financially it's actually a fine deal as long as you aren't buying everything yourself and have a reason for owning a book on beyond. I have all the campaign books and stuff because I like them and I'm a big nerd, but I'd never be wanting to start 8 campaigns or whatever at the same time, so i can't see why buying a book for $30 and sharing it plus all of my campaign and character info for $60 is a massive deal, especially when you can easily spread that cost around or in my case be gifted a bottle of wine every time I DM as a thankyou.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Firstborn posted:

Are they applicable to the Greyhawk setting? Tell me more even if they aren't
Yes they can for sure be applied to Greyhawk, as Greyhawk uses the Great Wheel Cosmology. Pretty much along with the Princes of Elemental Evil, Imix, Ogrémoch, Yan-C-Bin, and Olhydra there are Princes of Elemental Good.

They are
Chan Princess of Good Air

A calm, gentle and thoughtful being though she can rage like a harsh wind. She is devoted to destroying the forces of Elemental Evil, but spends most of her time locked in a cold war with Yan-C-Bin while they both use their inherent invisibility to spy on each other and scare each other into inaction. She holds a great deal of disdain for Ben-Hadar for his attitude and his unwillingness to commit to the fight against Evil, and she and her forces quarrel with him often.

Zaaman Rul Prince of Good Fire

Zaaman Rul is rumored to be the bastard son of Imix and loathes his evil counterpart over all other beings. He is stated to be courageous, honest and enthusiastic, but he is also naive and inexperienced being the youngest and weakest of the Elemental Princes. His status as the weakest Elemental Prince was further cemented by a ill thought out attack on Imix many years ago. His forces were all ether destroyed, routed or converted, while Zaaman Rul was fatally wounded by his more powerful counterpart. A Phoenix saved him and he has since then focused on rebuilding his forces so that he can try and strike a successful blow against Imix. Knowing he lacks support on the elemental plane of fire he searches all the planes including the Material plane for allies to join his forces. Offering the invitation to anyone that can survive on the Inner Elemental Plane of Fire and posses a noble heart. He also despises Ben-Hadar for giving up the fight against evil.

Sunnis Elemental Princess of Good Earth

Sunnis is a gentle and compassionate being who lives existence of quiet contemplation, doting over her many servants and followers as cherished children. She is also the Elemental Prince who is most bitterly opposed to her planar neighbor, in her case Ogrémoch. While her true hate is reserved for him and they oppose each other in all things, she battles many other forces of destruction and evil. There are stories that she once battled the Tarrasque and used an artifact on it that caused it's cycles of dormancy. Appearntly there are many beings interested in being her suitor, but she remains stoic to all their advances.

Ben-Hadar Elemental Prince of Good Water

Ben-Hadar is described as an arrogant, selfish boor. Ben-Hadar clings to the title of Good in that he truly cares about his followers and would sacrifice his own life to protect them and his plane. Ben-Hadar believes that seeking out evil to destroy is is a fool's enterprise, and that even evil creatures can sometimes be used for good purposes. As such, he keeps his affairs private and doesn't go picking fights (Though he is perfectly willing to kick the asses of those who do pick fights with him). Unlike the other Elemental Princes he has no enmity with his counterpart Olhydra and the two largely ignore each other. Instead he mainly conflicts with Chan and Zaaman Rul, who despise him for the fact that he gave up his rivalry with Olhydra and the battle against evil, along with the fact that he is kind of an rear end in a top hat who only cares about his home and nothing in the world beyond it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 6, 2018

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
If I own the books already physically does that mean anything for Beyond? And when it says 3 campaigns, that just means 3 at one time right? If I "delete" a campaign I can make a new one?

Also why is there no homebrew section for classes?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xae posted:

A really good character generator and character sheet program and digital copies of the books.

You can play with the character gen for free with the SRD options. If you have the digital books through them the additional options unlock in the char gen program.

Wit the mobile version out you also pretty much have PDF's of the books as the mobile version can be offline or something. (I don't know all the details as I am a relic that does not own a mobile phone.)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

If I own the books already physically does that mean anything for Beyond? And when it says 3 campaigns, that just means 3 at one time right? If I "delete" a campaign I can make a new one?

no yes/yes

homebrew races/classes are on the roadmap per devs

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wit the mobile version out you also pretty much have PDF's of the books as the mobile version can be offline or something. (I don't know all the details as I am a relic that does not own a mobile phone.)

yeah this is true, the mobile app is basically just an e-reader, you have to use mobile web for like, the sheet functionality and stuff

i'd have to think that the medium-to-long term plan for beyond is essentially Roll20

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 6, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Epi Lepi posted:

Sadly not. I think pretty much all complaints about Beyond would be gone if owning the physical version gave you a discount or something. And I would love it. Also yes it just means 3 at one time. If you get rid of one you can make a new one. Same with characters, while you are limited to 6 sheets for the free version that is only at a time. If you delete one you can make another.

No clue why there is not homebrew section for classes it's appears to be the only one that does not have one.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
And if all you want a digital reference for published materials, 5etools (:filez:) blows Beyond out of the water.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Conspiratiorist posted:

And if all you want a digital reference for published materials, 5etools (:filez:) blows Beyond out of the water.

I have no idea how 5etools keeps trucking along.

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

The Gate posted:

Yeah, if the subscription gave you access to the books I'd be all over it.

Also the exported character sheets look like crap, the mpmb one's are much better.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is blatantly false. Beyond is superior in every way but price.

JBP posted:

I have no idea how 5etools keeps trucking along.

Changing the IP address and putting it back up after it gets taken offline.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 6, 2018

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is blatantly false. Beyond is superior in every way but price.

yeah. 5etools seems cool for quick reference...unless everyone has beyond open anyway haha

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

JBP posted:

By the same token I can't buy a movie on GooglePlay then share it with a whole group of people. I can't share my hardbooks with people if I'm reading them. I think financially it's actually a fine deal as long as you aren't buying everything yourself and have a reason for owning a book on beyond. I have all the campaign books and stuff because I like them and I'm a big nerd, but I'd never be wanting to start 8 campaigns or whatever at the same time, so i can't see why buying a book for $30 and sharing it plus all of my campaign and character info for $60 is a massive deal, especially when you can easily spread that cost around or in my case be gifted a bottle of wine every time I DM as a thankyou.

$90+monthly subscription as the buy-in cost for an RPG is extravagant. To compare, worldwide shipping on Apocalypse World is $53 for the hardcover and PDFs, which is one book that you can use forever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Down With People posted:

$90+monthly subscription as the buy-in cost for an RPG is extravagant. To compare, worldwide shipping on Apocalypse World is $53 for the hardcover and PDFs, which is one book that you can use forever.

Well you can just ignore the Subscription. It's not super needed.

But it would be much better for the system to be $90 or Sub to get the Core Materials. (The ideal would be the books coming with codes granting you the Beyond versions.)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

i mean and let's all be real, all you need is the PHB, especially if we're talking about Beyond

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Down With People posted:

The sub is for tools and campaign management. You can play dnd for $50.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JBP posted:

More like $30 the PHB is pretty much always on sale.

If you were a first week buyer it was $20.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 6, 2018

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

JBP posted:

That's still a terrible deal bro! People balk at the price of this poo poo because it's crazy expensive by RPG standards.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Down With People posted:

That's still a terrible deal bro! People balk at the price of this poo poo because it's crazy expensive by RPG standards.

$50 is a quite a bit but $30 seems fine by my standards.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Edit:Double post for some reason.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

MonsterEnvy posted:

5e is also a well designed game and Mike Mearls a good person, by your standards.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

5e is also a well designed game and Mike Mearls a good person, by your standards.

Mearls I don't know him. Not going to call him a good person. But I think 5e is a fine game, there are flaws, but nothing as bad as some of you people try to make them out to be. Particularly in actual play.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

$30 for something I already own is pretty steep.

EDIT: And before somebody chimes in and says, 'Well they have to pay those poor programmers somehow!' - Look, I know. Of course they do. But acting like they couldn't have launched the loving game with a digital strategy in the first place is just naive. Hot of the heels of 4e, they knew they were going to do digital integration and didn't bother to do any kind of mixed release or coupons for book owners or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

5e is fun, I like it. I also like the high quality printed material and polish that comes with it being more expensive (even though it's only like a $5 difference between 5e and a pathfinder book in Aus). It's basically comparing GW to other wargame manufacturers. There are better games around or sure, but if you like a higher level of finish on everything and don't grog the rules so much because you're a casual player, it's the best.