Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

PMush Perfect posted:

Good page, but what does he really expect Cap to do? Punch the AIDS out of him?

Arnie's boyfriend was captured by some goons working for Baron Zemo. Captain America beats them up and even though Michael dies in a later storyline he gets out of that particular scrape ok. So maybe you were thinking of a different storyline where the superhero interacts with the AIDs crisis-- PAD's Hulk has a plot like this, and Northstar comes out as part of a plot about an HIV positive baby-- or maybe you were making a cheap joke about all gay characters having AIDs which would be super lovely and tacky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

PMush Perfect posted:

Good page, but what does he really expect Cap to do? Punch the AIDS out of him?

Nobody here has AIDS unless you're just going for a "dur hur he a gay so AIDS" joke.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sassy Alfred is best Alfred.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

W.T. Fits posted:

Don't forget that way back in the very first issue of The Amazing Spider-Man, one of the two stories in that issue (the one featured on the cover, no less) was about Spider-Man basically breaking into the Baxter Building and picking a fight with the Fantastic Four in a misguided attempt to audition for a spot on their team.

And then left when he found out it didn't pay anything.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Senior Woodchuck posted:

But they were lying to him because Ben Grimm got rich off it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Push El Burrito posted:

But they were lying to him because Ben Grimm got rich off it.

Only because Reed put his share in a separate account that he then didn't tell him about for 13 years.

Comics, everybody!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

To be fair, his primary motivation for wanting to get paid in the first place was because Aunt May was struggling to make ends meet after Uncle Ben's death.

But yeah, he breaks into their home, attacks them to try and impress them with how awesome he is so they'll hire him, then storms out in a huff when he finds out they're not hiring and even if they were, there's no paycheck involved. Not exactly the best first impression.

So given such a rocky start, it's actually fairly impressive how far their relationship has progressed over the years.

(This is the point where I'd post heartwarming pages of Spidey and the Fantastic Four if I had any of them.)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

To be fair, his primary motivation for wanting to get paid in the first place was because Aunt May was struggling to make ends meet after Uncle Ben's death.

But yeah, he breaks into their home, attacks them to try and impress them with how awesome he is so they'll hire him, then storms out in a huff when he finds out they're not hiring and even if they were, there's no paycheck involved. Not exactly the best first impression.

So given such a rocky start, it's actually fairly impressive how far their relationship has progressed over the years.

(This is the point where I'd post heartwarming pages of Spidey and the Fantastic Four if I had any of them.)

Spider-Man's family is one of my favorite things in comics. Every time Aunt May calls him her son you know poo poo is getting real.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 6, 2018

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Archyduke posted:

Arnie's boyfriend was captured by some goons working for Baron Zemo. Captain America beats them up and even though Michael dies in a later storyline he gets out of that particular scrape ok. So maybe you were thinking of a different storyline where the superhero interacts with the AIDs crisis-- PAD's Hulk has a plot like this, and Northstar comes out as part of a plot about an HIV positive baby-- or maybe you were making a cheap joke about all gay characters having AIDs which would be super lovely and tacky!

He did die of cancer

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

W.T. Fits posted:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It got a little dusty in here all of the sudden :cry:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Spider-Man's family is one of my favorite things in comics. Every time Aunt May calls him her son you know poo poo is getting real.

When John died, the only real replacement I'd have accepted was Peter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Archyduke posted:

So maybe you were thinking of a different storyline where the superhero interacts with the AIDs crisis-- PAD's Hulk has a plot like this, and Northstar comes out as part of a plot about an HIV positive baby
That I was. It struck that sort of 'talking about these things without actually talking about them' tone, so I assumed it was from one of those.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Alacron posted:

I like this one for its simplicity, and for trying its damndest to get the point across without actually being able to say that Arnie was gay.

Got it from this article, which has a bunch of other good pages.

Like those panels are good and they do a great job of the hero unquestionably helping out someone who is in trouble in a refreshing way.

But logically Cap has to change from his clothes to his costume.
So while Arnie is struggling to find the words and pouring his heart out, Steve Rogers is stripping.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Only because Reed put his share in a separate account that he then didn't tell him about for 13 years.

Comics, everybody!

But from that we got "Why has he sent me a picture of the Grand Canyon?", so it was worth it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Snagglepuss is straight up the best thing DC is publishing right now, for me at least. It's packed with deft metaphors and taut characters and, into the bargain, the art is really lovely and well-composed.

There are sillier moments too. It reminds me a lot of Bojack Horseman for obvious reasons (talking animals co-existing with humans in the world of showbusiness, combining silly gags with dramatic character study), but also of the Tennessee Williams and Arthur Miller plays it's constantly riffing on, and also of Alan Moore at the height of his powers with how the story weaves interpersonal drama deftly through the figurative lens of McCarthyism, homophobia, and the threat of nuclear annihilation.

I'd really recommend anyone who hasn't read it yet give it a look. I have a feeling this is a book that might slip under the radar, and it really doesn't deserve to.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Of course the giant pink anthropamorphic cat is gay :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Android Blues posted:

There are sillier moments too. It reminds me a lot of Bojack Horseman for obvious reasons (talking animals co-existing with humans in the world of showbusiness, combining silly gags with dramatic character study), but also of the Tennessee Williams and Arthur Miller plays it's constantly riffing on, and also of Alan Moore at the height of his powers with how the story weaves interpersonal drama deftly through the figurative lens of McCarthyism, homophobia, and the threat of nuclear annihilation.

I'm curious, does it being Snagglepuss/having anthropomorphic animals do anything to enhance the story or is it mostly for recognition/sales, despite the, uh, distance it has from the source material.

Also those panels were way heavier than what I thought a Snagglepuss comic would be.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm curious, does it being Snagglepuss/having anthropomorphic animals do anything to enhance the story or is it mostly for recognition/sales, despite the, uh, distance it has from the source material.

Also those panels were way heavier than what I thought a Snagglepuss comic would be.

There are moments (mostly gags) where it comes into play. Quickdraw McGraw is a cop who comes from a long line of police horses. Squiddly Diddly gets work as a stagehand because he has so many limbs. In the plays Snagglepuss directs, there are human actors who play animal characters by wearing goofy looking cardboard snouts and ears.

It's definitely not the focus, but kind of like Bojack they make a little hay with it. Mostly it uses the surreal comedy of these moments either as a palate cleanser, or to create a comparison between how weird and unreal this is and how weird and unreal the actual history of McCarthyism and the cold war could at times be. Historical events like the execution of the Rosenbergs and the kangaroo court hearings held by the House Committee of Un-American Activities are contrasted against the really surreal animal stuff, and it creates an overall impression of a strange and dehumanising period in history.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Infinitum posted:

Of course the giant pink anthropamorphic cat is gay :v:

Have...have you ever seen one of the original Hannah Barbera Snagglepuss cartoons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4qFxTTi8q0

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

site posted:

It got a little dusty in here all of the sudden :cry:

I have no idea what you are talking about :qq:

Still my favorite Hickman thing, and there are a lot to choose from.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

It's definitely not the focus, but kind of like Bojack they make a little hay with it.

First of all: wonderful.

Second of all: The most jarring thing about the anthropomorphic animals, BY FAR, is how the horse hands look.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

I dunno, I kind of expect heavy from the DC/Hanna-Barbera stuff after "We participated in a genocide, Barney."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I wish I could take any of those H-B comics seriously because the words alone make it seem really heavy but then you add the cartoon characters and I simply can't.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

TwoPair posted:

I wish I could take any of those H-B comics seriously because the words alone make it seem really heavy but then you add the cartoon characters and I simply can't.

Comics.txt

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think I'd honestly be more into those comics if the characters didn't look so bizarrely pseudo-realistic

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think, for me, it's the combination of recognition and contrast. Like, Maus and Watership Down manage to be very strong emotional impacts, but they're all original characters and there's no jarring human/cartoon animal contrast. Just regular humans getting shot in the face.

That said, all I can imagine with this is that at some point, a writer got handed a commission like "write a comic about Snagglepuss. Doesn't matter what's in it as long as it sells", and they decided that this was the best way to salvage their artistic integrity. Can't say I disagree.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TwoPair posted:

“But, doctor, I am Pagliacci.”

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Snagglepuss needs to wear some loving pants.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
I'm sure that's a very touching moment and all, but I really can't do anything but hear Snaglepuss talking with the same voice as the cartoon, which tends to undercut the pathos a bit.

Heavens to Murgatroyd, I'm exiting this marriage...stage right even!

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

That said, all I can imagine with this is that at some point, a writer got handed a commission like "write a comic about Snagglepuss. Doesn't matter what's in it as long as it sells", and they decided that this was the best way to salvage their artistic integrity. Can't say I disagree.

Given how all the other HB comics have been, I feel like it's likely exactly the opposite; I feel like this kind of stuff is specifically what DC wants out of them, since most of them have been in this general kind of...conceptual umbrella? They're basically all about taking them seriously in a tongue-in-cheek manner; no irony or cynicism about the source material, just weird, interesting takes.

If it wasn't on some level an editorial direction, I wouldn't think it would be so consistent across the line of HB stuff.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's similar to what's going on with the current Archie books.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Gummy Joe posted:

For the attention to detail this comic seems to have, it has to be intentional that he does exactly that in the last frame here:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Gummy Joe posted:

I'm sure that's a very touching moment and all, but I really can't do anything but hear Snaglepuss talking with the same voice as the cartoon, which tends to undercut the pathos a bit.

Have you ever met a playwright?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Sexual Lorax posted:

For the attention to detail this comic seems to have, it has to be intentional that he does exactly that in the last frame here:

"Stage right" and "stage left" are from the perspective of an actor facing the audience, so that page he would be exiting stage left.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kramjacks posted:

"Stage right" and "stage left" are from the perspective of an actor facing the audience, so that page he would be exiting stage left.
Well, as the cartoon posted above shows, he gets it backwards, anyway.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Kramjacks posted:

Well I'll be gosh darned. I knew it was backwards, but I was under the impression it was backwards from the performers' point of view. I learned something today. :science:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Sexual Lorax posted:

Well I'll be gosh darned. I knew it was backwards, but I was under the impression it was backwards from the performers' point of view. I learned something today. :science:

Maybe, we the readers are the performers, and the comic is watching us???

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kramjacks posted:

Maybe, we the readers are the performers, and the comic is watching us???

Nah, it's not a Grant Morrison comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sexual Lorax posted:

There's "stage" left and right, and "house" left and right, indicating the perspective.