Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jiro posted:

You'd think DC was being run by Vince and WWE with how they're initially given something and build it back up to be really good only to have it taken away before they could at least finish.

Sidelining your own homegrown talent in favour of someone who made their name working for a different company is much more of a WCW move, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

Tomas and Gleason have been giving consistently good Superman books

Consistently?

0-25: Good comics
26-32: Fill-ins and horrible American history arc
33-36: Main crew back for Apokolips story. Not too great, but opinions may vary
37-40: Two issues in a bad crossover, an okay heartwarming one-off, another terrible fill-in
41+: Good again seven months later for the final stretch

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Consistently?

0-25: Good comics
26-32: Fill-ins and horrible American history arc
33-36: Main crew back for Apokolips story. Not too great, but opinions may vary
37-40: Two issues in a bad crossover, an okay heartwarming one-off, another terrible fill-in
41+: Good again seven months later for the final stretch

I'd consider 25 straight issues of good comics in line with consistent. And you really can't lay bad filler on them if they aren't the ones doing it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You can do these kitschy moralistic takes with literally any other villain but Darkseid is more than just a dude and all DC wants to treat him like is garbage Thanos.

Garbage Thanos is an oxymoron. I've been reading the last couple issues of Thanos wacky time traveling adventures and good lord is it obnoxious. It's constant fanwank about how awesome and badass Thanos is, in the most over the top and terrible way possible. "(X) would be too much for any other being in existence, but for Thanos it's a cakewalk!". Am I missing something?

But yeah, on the face of it, having Darkseid be some sort of morally gray (or any kind of non-evil alignment) is just dumb. I'm going to hold off to see if this is some sort of "our goals align, for now" kind of a deal, what with the source wall being gone, but as a story hook, it's not the best thought out at a first glance.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

JordanKai posted:

Sidelining your own homegrown talent in favour of someone who made their name working for a different company is much more of a WCW move, in my opinion.

I would agree except WWE has not only always done that but have now been doing that with WCW subsumed into the brand longer than WCW existed as a separate entity

uhh comics, right uhh the red trunks have always sucked and I could mathematically prove it to you if disagreeing didn't already betray you as too stupid to understand it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

McCloud posted:

Garbage Thanos is an oxymoron. I've been reading the last couple issues of Thanos wacky time traveling adventures and good lord is it obnoxious. It's constant fanwank about how awesome and badass Thanos is, in the most over the top and terrible way possible. "(X) would be too much for any other being in existence, but for Thanos it's a cakewalk!". Am I missing something?

But yeah, on the face of it, having Darkseid be some sort of morally gray (or any kind of non-evil alignment) is just dumb. I'm going to hold off to see if this is some sort of "our goals align, for now" kind of a deal, what with the source wall being gone, but as a story hook, it's not the best thought out at a first glance.

I don't think you know what "oxymoron" means.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McCloud posted:

But yeah, on the face of it, having Darkseid be some sort of morally gray (or any kind of non-evil alignment) is just dumb.
Hah. With the SourceWall gone, Yuga can regain his power as the EVIL LORD OF THE THIRD WORLD. Maybe he tries to resurrect the old gods too who knows.

Because of the cosmic god imbalance, Darkseid loses his evil mojo and teams up to defeat the Old God. Its written to make it seen like Darkseid is now morally complex and dealing in grey but nope, he just wants Yuga dead so he can regain all the Haaaaaaaate for himself.

What a twist! In 8 issue maxiformat with 2 months of linewide tie-ins and 6 months of delays!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would honestly take Bendis over Jurgens any day of the week. Sorry if this is controversial, and I am sure Jurgens is a very nice guy, but Bendis has me excited for a Superman book, I generally avoid Jurgens books because his work is very journeyman like.
As for Tomasi, dude is probably going to get bounced to another book and write some awesome stories.
Yes it kind of sucks that they didn't get to finish the story that they wanted to tell in the time they wanted to tell it, but this isn't a unique situation.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jurgens has always been crap. He kept me away from Superman entirely in the 90s.

I actually like Bendis but I still think he's a terrible fit for Superman and the whole situation is DC stuffing their new famous square peg into their iconic and beloved round hole just for attention and a quick sales bump. It feels short sighted and entirely mercenary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Jurgens has always been crap. He kept me away from Superman entirely in the 90s.

16 year old Rhyno is gonna fight you.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

purple death ray posted:

Jurgens has always been crap.

I don't think this is true but it's extremely off putting how it feels like everything is written in the mid 80s. From the pacing, the wording, it just feels dated with him writing, even when the story's subject matter isn't.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

I want to ask Jurgens if that was editorial or Bendis.

Editorial. Bendis said on Word Balloon that he didn't know there was debate to bring them back before he was told they would be back during his run.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't say he is crap but he is more workmanlike. He is perfectly serviceable but not a high profile name like Bendis.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Catwoman scenes remade for today's Batman issue http://thebatmanuniverse.net/batman-176/
We missed out on "Quiet or papa spank" by a panel :(

I hadn't seen Catwoman's red mask costume before. How long did that last?

e:
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/981607455942696960

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 4, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Brimstone wasn't too bad. I kind of like the idea of a supernatural story set in the DCU and I like that it is an original character. I hope, due to the setting, that besides a character like Etrigan appearing the title stays in it's own little corner of the DCU.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Has there ever been a comic where Gorilla Grodd mind controls a bunch of people, then drops the line "the voice of the people is the voice of Grodd"?

Because that would be pretty good.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Has there ever been a comic where Gorilla Grodd mind controls a bunch of people, then drops the line "the voice of the people is the voice of Grodd"?

He has said 'Kneel before Grodd.'

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Madkal posted:

I wouldn't say he is crap but he is more workmanlike. He is perfectly serviceable but not a high profile name like Bendis.

oh for gently caress's sake get married out of your costumes. i'm reminded of that bit where the justice league had a christmas event and ollie was the only one to turn up in civvies and he yelled at the rest of htem to stop being dweebs.

nofather posted:

He has said 'Kneel before Grodd.'

also in the tv series a dude screamed out 'oh God!' as he was being attacked and the first time grodd spoke was to say 'not God... Grodd' which was pretty badass.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
God dammit. Reading Bizarro issues always makes my head hurt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They will never top MAKE AMERICA GRODD AGAIN.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The 1500+ page Final Crisis Omnibus coming out is ridiculous.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/05/final-crisis-10th-anniversary-omnibus-gets-even-bigger/
Who asked for Terror Titans?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

The 1500+ page Final Crisis Omnibus coming out is ridiculous.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/05/final-crisis-10th-anniversary-omnibus-gets-even-bigger/
Who asked for Terror Titans?

JESUS.

That's "accidentally kill yourself when it falls off a shelf" sized.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They might as well have chucked in the aftermath miniserieses to set a record.
Has there ever been an 1800+ page omnibus?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

They might as well have chucked in the aftermath miniserieses to set a record.
Has there ever been an 1800+ page omnibus?

As far as I know the Invisible Omnibus still holds the record for largest comic book omnibus at 1530~ pages.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

What, no Countdown (to Final Crisis)? Shameful.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think you know what "oxymoron" means.

I normally do, but when I wrote that I had some sort of brain glitch.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh, that's a lot of pages. I assume none of the Final Crisis Aftermath stuff was any good, right? I guess my local comic store dredged some up and tossed them onto the clearance shelves, as well as the... sketchbook? Companion? It looks like it has sketches and some script commentary, that looks interesting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

catlord posted:

Huh, that's a lot of pages. I assume none of the Final Crisis Aftermath stuff was any good, right? I guess my local comic store dredged some up and tossed them onto the clearance shelves, as well as the... sketchbook? Companion? It looks like it has sketches and some script commentary, that looks interesting.

Final Crisis Dance was pretty fun and inconsequential.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a shame Morrison handed off the Super Young Team instead of writing a story for them himself before they were forgotten.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's a shame Morrison handed off the Super Young Team instead of writing a story for them himself before they were forgotten.

At least The Great Ten hasn't been forgotten (or at least the August General hasn't)

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Xelkelvos posted:

At least The Great Ten hasn't been forgotten (or at least the August General hasn't)

I believe they at least show up somewhat in the New Super-Man stuff.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Great Ten is a team that has been massively improved by what subsequent writers have done to them, as opposed to what the original writer did with them.

The Super Young Team is...probably the opposite? And those rapidly diminishing returns pretty much explains why they petered out so thoroughly :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That Final Crisis HC makes less sense than the $75 Legion Quest HC Marvel put out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Endless Mike posted:

That Final Crisis HC makes less sense than the $75 Legion Quest HC Marvel put out.

Serious question, does anyone even give a poo poo about final crisis? Like it wasn't terrible but it was pretty forgettable. The best part was Superman Beyond and that was only two issues.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Covok posted:

Serious question, does anyone even give a poo poo about final crisis? Like it wasn't terrible but it was pretty forgettable. The best part was Superman Beyond and that was only two issues.

It begins. :getin:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

What have I wrought?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You're marked.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Covok posted:

It's the best crisis. And, more importantly, good.

It was also the last time a writer wrote Darkseid with any slight competence.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It was also the last time a writer wrote Darkseid with any slight competence.
King's Mister Miracle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

King's Mister Miracle?

I'm still waiting for this one to play out.