Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

they're like that about prussia as well though

Then I guess it was just about being beaten in a war in which Austria-Hungary did its very best to let Prussia walk all over the other states, which lead to stuff like the Hanoveran army wandering into a trap with zero help from their "allies" down south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mr Enderby posted:

What if the Romans had dragons?

what if every army with dragoons instead had exactly that many dragons

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

Protip: Try not to get piked in the spine.

this is why you should also have a pike. A pike society is a polite society.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

feedmegin posted:

I mean, they did handle the Russians in the Crimean War only like 10 years earlier.

Well I am pretty sure any Industrial western European nation army could handle the Crimean era Russian army. It was not in a very good place.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well I am pretty sure any Industrial western European nation army could handle the Crimean era Russian army. It was not in a very good place.
except, apparently, the british

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

what if every army with dragoons instead had exactly that many dragons

Foraging becomes even more destructive.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

The British nor French army weren't exactly top notch but at least they were using modern firearms.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

HEY GUNS posted:

they're like that about prussia as well though

HEY GUNS posted:

you;re a bavarian, is what you are

We're contrarian, Catholic alcoholics who like to fight, okay?

Deal with it.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It's a sort of "yes but" situation.

The Southern states resented Prussian power politics and Bismarck's adventurism, and really would rather not have had them in charge. But they did want to be part of some kind of larger German entity, and after Prussia kicked the poo poo out of Austria, there was really only one game in town. They were reluctant allies, but when the Franco-Prussian War kicked off, they chose to stick with the alliance. Essentially, however much they thought the Prussians were dickheads, the other German states would still rather stick together as Germans against a non-German opponent.

In terms of weakening the German military threat, a French leader offering independence doesn't really much change things in 1870, especially since the invasion route would have run through Prussian territory. It's still France picking on a fellow German state, and even if they're an rear end in a top hat, they're our rear end in a top hat. In fact at that point the Southern states were still independent, so it might even have backfired diplomatically.

That being said it also doesn't change things the other way. It simply comes down to the fact that the Southern states were looking for Prussia to put up or shut up and were going to stick it out at least until a major setback occurred. They put up in dramatic fashion. If the French had come in and laid the smack down, then either unification doesn't happen at all then, or it happens on dramatically different terms, with Prussia having much reduced influence.

EDIT: Basically an offer of independence doesn't win France much, if anything, strategically. Bavaria might have been a grumpy participant, but it isn't like offering the Czechs their own state to peel them off from Austria-Hungary. The German states weren't and certainly didn't see themselves as subjects of Prussia in that way.

O word, I think I understand what you mean better now. Thanks!

(From your first post I thought you meant that the independent princeships wanted to be part of Germany without context and I was like ?????? My bad for mis-reading."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Nope, it was a T-35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owf2e7Xtx70

The T-35 was never pulled out of service, although production did cease in 1939. It was still in service in 1941, when all but one were lost.

Yup. I kinda proved myself wrong when I did the research. I thought that the T-35 had basically been sitting outside, abandoned and building up rust. If it was still in use as a trainer for a good while and receiving maintenance during that time then that makes a lot more sense. Especially if it was stored with some care.

It's really loving awesome that thing can/will still run today.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Xiahou Dun posted:

O word, I think I understand what you mean better now. Thanks!

(From your first post I thought you meant that the independent princeships wanted to be part of Germany without context and I was like ?????? My bad for mis-reading."
No problem, rereading I wasn't as clear as I should have been either.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

"WOT?! FEED OUR OWN SOLDIERS!?! God, you lot is lazy, parasitical on the taxes of honest Britons."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

We won? It wasn't the Charge of the Light Brigade and that's it. The big scandals were logistics and medical care which was all on us not Russia.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
eventually

bro, when russian soldiers take so much pity on you they start throwing bread at your soldiers over the lines

you may have hosed up

edit: everyone needs to read this. This is about the difference between received wisdom and archival research. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/04/04/world/middleeast/isis-documents-mosul-iraq.html

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 5, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

All sides the Crimean War were laughably bad and each took their turn starving in mud/ruins and was the death of pre-Industrial warfare. It was a bitter slog that was cut short due to Industrial warfare, diplomacy and war weariness all taking a proper part in finishing it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1179

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr Enderby posted:

An event that came to be known only as ‘the Doom’ laid waste to the Valyrians Romans, their capital city, and its surrounding lands. The peninsula itself was shattered, becoming what is now the Smoking Sea. Every dragon was thought to be lost… as were the Valyrians’ Romans’ spells, knowledge, and recorded history. Thus, the mighty empire collapsed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GUNS posted:

this is what happens when you get piked in the spine

Fourth thoracic vertebra. this dude was paralyzed but not immediately killed

17th century acupuncture was rough

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

HEY GUNS posted:

edit: everyone needs to read this. This is about the difference between received wisdom and archival research. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/04/04/world/middleeast/isis-documents-mosul-iraq.html

This is fascinating. It reminds me of the time I read ISIS' propaganda magazine for a grad school course on international terrorism. They had articles about agriculture policy and irrigation, right next to gory pictures of dead Kurds and articles about crusades and making explosives.

Fake edit: Does anyone know any English-language sources where I can read about the Imjin War?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kangxi posted:

This is fascinating. It reminds me of the time I read ISIS' propaganda magazine for a grad school course on international terrorism. They had articles about agriculture policy and irrigation, right next to gory pictures of dead Kurds and articles about crusades and making explosives.

Fake edit: Does anyone know any English-language sources where I can read about the Imjin War?

There was a goon who did a great podcast on it called topics in Korean history. If podcasts aren't your bag you might try and see if he has his references down. Otherwise than one dude who always posts about Korean history can probably help you.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 5th Apr 1918 posted:

At 5 a.m. the 63rd Brigade and an Australian Brigade attacked the enemy and successfully broke up an enemy attack which was about to be launched and captured 140 Boche including 4 Officers.
At 1 p.m. this Btn. less "C" Coy. was ordered to take up a new position in support of the 63rd Brigade. Orders were issued and the companies concerned moved at once. "B" Coy. was on the right flank, "D" centre, "A" left flank. It was reported at 4 p.m. that the enemy were advancing N.W. from ROSIGNOL WOOD.
It was of the greater importance to hold the line from K.6 c22 thro' K.6 c60 to K6 d00.20.
Capt. Evans Jackson commanding "B" Coy. was ordered to move forward and occupy this system.
Later D and A Coys. also went forward and got in touch with B Coy. See appd "B".
The Coys. were in position at 2 p.m. and came under the commaned of Lt. Col. Hanley, 4th Middlesex Rgt.
Rations were carried to our Coys. by C Coy. & H.Q. details, while the forward Coys. carried to the Btn. in the Line. Major W.G. Johns returned from the Senior Officers Course at Aldershot.

Appendix B:-

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mr Enderby posted:

FFS, I don't even mind a bit of counterfactual history, but let's try a different point in history for a change.

Could Yazdegerd III have resisted the Arab invasion of Persia, cementing Zoroastrianism as a major world religion?

What if the French had won the Battle of Blenheim?

What if the Koreans had won the Battle of Bleinheim?

What if pikes but too much?

there's a trash book series about 'what if boney had dragons'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_(series)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

Post your picture coward.
i'm on the left, other goon System Metternich is on the right

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

All sides the Crimean War were laughably bad and each took their turn starving in mud/ruins and was the death of pre-Industrial warfare. It was a bitter slog that was cut short due to Industrial warfare, diplomacy and war weariness all taking a proper part in finishing it.

OK, please tell me if I'm talking nonsense here because this isn't a subject I know much about, but I get the impression that the Crimean War was a massive lesson every Western nation could have learned from, and they all failed to do so.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There were reforms brought about due to the Crimean War. Most significantly, the British Army underwent drastic changes in the Cardwell and Childers reforms that took place from 1868 and 1881.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mr Enderby posted:

OK, please tell me if I'm talking nonsense here because this isn't a subject I know much about, but I get the impression that the Crimean War was a massive lesson every Western nation could have learned from, and they all failed to do so.

See above for the British Army. Also, the US Army learned a few things from said war too. Oh, and advances in both battlefield surgery and siege warfare too. This was the first conflict that used trains and the telegraph now.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

See above for the British Army. Also, the US Army learned a few things from said war too. Oh, and advances in both battlefield surgery and siege warfare too. This was the first conflict that used trains and the telegraph now.

Also Alexis Soyer, who I really hope one of you 19th century nerds will do an effortpost on because he is fascinating.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

i'm on the left, other goon System Metternich is on the right

Nice Pike

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So does that Bering Strait bridge assume normalized relations with the US or global communism triumphant
https://mobile.twitter.com/EternalBolshie/status/981876232391397376

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Donate it to the Holocaust Memorial Museum.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Kangxi posted:

Of the comprehensive overviews, none of them are especially great. There's three major ones, which are Samuel Hawley's The Imjin War, Kenneth Swope's A Dragon's Head and a Serpent's Tail, and Stephen Turnbull's Samurai Invasion. Of those I'd recommend Samuel Hawley's the most, it's pretty comprehensive and has the broadest point of view, but it was written as a passion project by a non-academic and has a bit of a Korea bias. It's not bad though as long as you keep that in mind. Swope's was written almost as a direct answer to Hawley's, like, he wrote a scathing Amazon review and makes snide comments in his footnotes and everything, but (apparently, I dunno Chinese history so well but I've read) reads Ming sources pretty uncritically and makes a bunch of flat out errors, and consequently also has more than a bit of a Ming bias which is kind of ironic considering he actually is an academic. Stephen Turnbull's 2002 edition is apparently fine although it's an Osprey book, and mostly going into the military side of things, so take that as you will--I haven't actually read it properly myself. If you wanna look at the armies involved and so on more than background it might be the best pick though.

one that I'd actually uncritically recommend is JaHyun Kim-Haboush's The Great East Asian War and the Birth of the Korean Nation, but it has a much more narrow focus, since it's focusing on her theory of the emergence of a proto-nationalism in Korea because of the wars. Over the course of the book it goes over the broad strokes of the war though, and it's all on Jstor if you have access to that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ChubbyChecker posted:

is it good, i am extremely about this potentially

edit: ugh it's about the loving rosbifs and also it's navy stuff, zut alors

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 6, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GUNS posted:

Now this got me curious. Can anyone recommend any books about the reconstruction of post-war Germany in WW2? I'm interested in the details about how you go from a pile of rubble and a significant fraction of the population of a given town dead to a normal, functioning economy again.

Books about post-war reconstruction in any of the countries involved in WW2 would be good, actually, I just picked Germany because I figured that the more specific the subject the more likely to find a book that goes into the amount of detail I'm interested in.

Edit:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is it good, i am extremely about this potentially

It's mostly about how the author really, really wishes that she had a noble, innocent, good-hearted yet powerful dragon as her true bestest friend, and also the British government is hilariously and sometimes pointlessly evil. Also it suffers somewhat from the premise that dragons exist and are used in warfare, but the history of Europe continues exactly the same until Napoleon, which is where everything starts going bananas.

I mean, I still finished the series but I'd have a hard time calling it good, really.

Edit Edit: It does have a super anti-imperialist ending, though, if that matters to you.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 6, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr Enderby posted:

on balance if someone says "nobody learned from this war even though they should" they are wrong and lying

people learn a lot of lessons from wars and apply them in the next war. sometimes, some of them are even the right ones!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GUNS posted:

eventually

bro, when russian soldiers take so much pity on you they start throwing bread at your soldiers over the lines

you may have hosed up

God that is so my jam. I loving live for figuring out how administrators make the day to day running of ideologically driven regimes happen.

The bit about neighbors petitioning to confiscate lands of people who followed the wrong religion has a really Götz Aly vibe.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tomn posted:

Now this got me curious. Can anyone recommend any books about the reconstruction of post-war Germany in WW2? I'm interested in the details about how you go from a pile of rubble and a significant fraction of the population of a given town dead to a normal, functioning economy again.

Books about post-war reconstruction in any of the countries involved in WW2 would be good, actually, I just picked Germany because I figured that the more specific the subject the more likely to find a book that goes into the amount of detail I'm interested in.

Quoting to remind myself to respond to this tomorrow. Post war reconstruction was about 90 percent of my dissertation so I’ve got a bit of a reading list on it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

The bit about neighbors petitioning to confiscate lands of people who followed the wrong religion has a really Götz Aly vibe.
haha, i thought it felt like bohemia in the 1620s

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Platystemon posted:

People have been fantasising about using time travel to kill Hitler since before the real Hitler’s death.

Ralph Farley, “I Killed Hitler”, 1941.

There's a good short story about this
https://www.tor.com/2011/08/31/wikihistory/

Desmond Warzel posted:

International Association of Time Travelers: Members’ Forum
Subforum: Europe – Twentieth Century – Second World War

Page 263

11/15/2104
At 14:52:28, FreedomFighter69 wrote:
Reporting my first temporal excursion since joining IATT: have just returned from 1936 Berlin, having taken the place of one of Leni Riefenstahl’s cameramen and assassinated Adolf Hitler during the opening of the Olympic Games. Let a free world rejoice!

At 14:57:44, SilverFox316 wrote:
Back from 1936 Berlin; incapacitated FreedomFighter69 before he could pull his little stunt. Freedomfighter69, as you are a new member, please read IATT Bulletin 1147 regarding the killing of Hitler before your next excursion. Failure to do so may result in your expulsion per Bylaw 223.

At 18:06:59, BigChill wrote:
Take it easy on the kid, SilverFox316; everybody kills Hitler on their first trip. I did. It always gets fixed within a few minutes, what’s the harm?

At 18:33:10, SilverFox316 wrote:
Easy for you to say, BigChill, since to my recollection you’ve never volunteered to go back and fix it. You think I’ve got nothing better to do?

11/16/2104
At 10:15:44, JudgeDoom wrote:
Good news! I just left a French battlefield in October 1916, where I shot dead a young Bavarian Army messenger named Adolf Hitler! Not bad for my first time, no? Sic semper tyrannis!

At 10:22:53, SilverFox316 wrote:
Back from 1916 France I come, having at the last possible second prevented Hitler’s early demise at the hands of JudgeDoom and, incredibly, restrained myself from shooting JudgeDoom and sparing us all years of correcting his misguided antics. READ BULLETIN 1147, PEOPLE!

At 15:41:18, BarracksRoomLawyer wrote:
Point of order: issues related to Hitler’s service in the Bavarian Army ought to go in the World War I forum.

11/21/2104
At 02:21:30, SneakyPete wrote:
Vienna, 1907: after numerous attempts, have infiltrated the Academy of Fine Arts and facilitated Adolf Hitler’s admission to that institution. Goodbye, Hitler the dictator; hello, Hitler the modestly successful landscape artist! Brought back a few of his paintings as well, any buyers?

At 02:29:17, SilverFox316 wrote:
All right; that’s it. Having just returned from 1907 Vienna where I secured the expulsion of Hitler from the Academy by means of an elaborate prank involving the Prefect, a goat, and a substantial quantity of olive oil, I now turn my attention to our newer brethren, who, despite rules to the contrary, seem to have no intention of reading Bulletin 1147 (nor its Addendum, Alternate Means of Subverting the Hitlerian Destiny, and here I’m looking at you, SneakyPete). Permit me to sum it up and save you the trouble: no Hitler means no Third Reich, no World War II, no rocketry programs, no electronics, no computers, no time travel. Get the picture?

At 02:29:49, SilverFox316 wrote:
PS to SneakyPete: your Hitler paintings aren’t worth anything, schmuck, since you probably brought them directly here from 1907, which means the paint’s still fresh. Freaking n00b.

At 07:55:03, BarracksRoomLawyer wrote:
Amen, SilverFox316. Although, point of order, issues relating to early 1900s Vienna should really go in that forum, not here. This has been a recurring problem on this forum.

11/26/2104
At 18:26:18, Jason440953 wrote:
SilverFox316, you seem to know a lot about the rules; what are your thoughts on traveling to, say, Braunau, Austria, in 1875 and killing Alois Hitler before he has a chance to father Adolf? Mind you, I’m asking out of curiosity alone, since I already went and did it.

At 18:42:55, SilverFox316 wrote:
Jason440953, see Bylaw 7, which states that all IATT rulings regarding historical persons apply to ancestors as well. I post this for the benefit of others, as I already made this clear to young Jason in person as I was dragging him back from 1875 by his hair. Got that? No ancestors. (Though if anyone were to go back to, say, Moline, Illinois, in, say, 2080 or so, and intercede to prevent Jason440953’s conception, I could be persuaded to look the other way.)

At 21:19:17, BarracksRoomLawyer wrote:
Point of order: discussions of nineteenth–century Austria and twenty–first–century Illinois should be confined to their respective forums.

12/01/2104
At 15:56:41, AsianAvenger wrote:
FreedomFighter69, JudgeDoom, SneakyPete, Jason440953, you’re nothing but a pack of racists. Let the light of righteousness shine upon your squalid little viper’s nest!

At 16:40:17, BigTom44 wrote:
Well, here we frickin’ go.

At 16:58:42, FreedomFighter69 wrote:
Racist? For killing Hitler? WTF?

At 17:12:52, SaucyAussie wrote:
AsianAvenger, you’re not rehashing that whole Nagasaki issue again, are you? We just got everyone calmed down from last time.

At 17:22:37, LadyJustice wrote:
I’m with SaucyAussie. AsianAvenger, you’re making even less sense than usual. What gives?

At 18:56:09, AsianAvenger wrote:
What gives is everyone’s repeated insistence on a course of action which, even if successful, would only save a few million Europeans. It would be no more trouble to travel to Fuyuanshui, China, in 1814 and kill Hong Xiuquan, thus preventing the Taiping Rebellion of the mid–nineteenth century and saving fifty million lives in the process. But, hey, what are fifty million yellow devils more or less, right, guys? We’ve got Poles and Frenchmen to worry about.

At 19:01:38, LadyJustice wrote:
Well, what’s stopping you from killing him, AsianAvenger?

At 19:11:43, AsianAvenger wrote:
Only to have SilverFox316 undo my work? What’s the point?

At 19:59:23, SilverFox316 wrote:
Actually, it seems like a pretty good idea to me, AsianAvenger. No complications that I can see.

At 20:07:25, Big Chill wrote:
Go for it, man.

At 20:11:31, AsianAvenger wrote:
Very well. I shall return in mere moments, the savior of millions!

At 20:14:17, LadyJustice wrote:
Just checked the timeline; congrats on your success, AsianAvenger!

12/02/2104
At 10:52:53, LadyJustice wrote:
AsianAvenger?

At 11:41:40, SilverFox316 wrote:
AsianAvenger, we need your report, buddy.

At 17:15:32, SilverFox316 wrote:
Okay, apparently AsianAvenger was descended from Hong Xiuquan. Any volunteers to go back and stop him from negating his own existence?

12/10/2104
At 09:14:44, SilverFox316 wrote:
Anyone?

At 09:47:13, BarracksRoomLawyer wrote:
Point of order: this discussion belongs in the Qing Dynasty forum. We’re adults; can we keep sight of what’s important around here?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Grumio posted:

There's a good short story about this
https://www.tor.com/2011/08/31/wikihistory/

"Okay, Time Director, I know you sent me back in time to kill baby Hitler, but I killed Woodrow Wilson by accident."
"Who the hell is baby Hitler?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phanatic posted:

"Okay, Time Director, I know you sent me back in time to kill baby Hitler, but I killed Woodrow Wilson by accident."
"Who the hell is baby Hitler?

You find a young bavarian dispatch runner on the battlefield. You, a member of the king's royal rifle corps, have your gun drawn and aimed at his chest.

Do you kill Hitler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ChubbyChecker posted:

Tomn posted:

It's mostly about how the author really, really wishes that she had a noble, innocent, good-hearted yet powerful dragon as her true bestest friend, and also the British government is hilariously and sometimes pointlessly evil. Also it suffers somewhat from the premise that dragons exist and are used in warfare, but the history of Europe continues exactly the same until Napoleon, which is where everything starts going bananas.

I mean, I still finished the series but I'd have a hard time calling it good, really.

Edit Edit: It does have a super anti-imperialist ending, though, if that matters to you.

I have read a good chunk of that series and didn't even recognize the series name until your description Tomn. It's...well if you want a fun story if a but young-adult-ish. However in comparison it makes Flint's Belisarius series look like hard, hard fiction and that had telekinetic space whales from the future giving the Byzantine Empire guns, steam power, radio, etc.