Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I thought being super fast and lightweight was operas thing.

Remember that Opera stopped having its own engine five years ago, and is now a GUI and assortment of features built on top of chrome's core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Opera lost all its best features when they transitioned to Chrome. That's why cool people who get laid constantly use Vivaldi, aka another Chrome GUI overhaul that however actually does the things Opera used to be famous for.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Opera is actually compatible with most websites now.

I loved old Opera, but that was also during the dark period of the aughts when using a Mac meant keeping 5 different browsers in your dock (Safari, Firefox, Opera, Omniweb, sometimes iCab) because there was a good chance the site you were visiting wouldn't work for at least 3 of them.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe Opera is actually compatible with most websites now.

I loved old Opera, but that was also during the dark period of the aughts when using a Mac meant keeping 5 different browsers in your dock (Safari, Firefox, Opera, Omniweb, sometimes iCab) because there was a good chance the site you were visiting wouldn't work for at least 3 of them.

Those days aren't as far away as you think. I was helping a user at work today because they couldn't open an excel spreadsheet linked on the company resource page. We tried a different method, and got a popup that said "To open this you must have matching versions of Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office." And they don't make IE for Mac anymore.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Antioch posted:

I currently work at a FI and we just moved from the 1982 release of our banking system to the 1996 version. I don't think there's a newer version.
I work for government and our program is a mainframe that was designed in 1995. It's programmed in COBOL. When the 2 old guys who still know COBOL die or retire I'm pretty sure we're hosed. Other than being poo poo ugly and written in a dead language it's rock solid.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

SubponticatePoster posted:

I work for government and our program is a mainframe that was designed in 1995. It's programmed in COBOL. When the 2 old guys who still know COBOL die or retire I'm pretty sure we're hosed. Other than being poo poo ugly and written in a dead language it's rock solid.

There is a ridiculous amount of banking backend (at least in Belgium) that is still COBOL based. COBOL 85 was still being taught in college a good 15 years ago.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Fishstick posted:

There is a ridiculous amount of banking backend (at least in Belgium) that is still COBOL based. COBOL 85 was still being taught in college a good 15 years ago.

COBOL is not a dead language, and is unlikely to be even in the next 20 years. I work at a bank and far too much of it runs on this stuff to be changed. Not to mention the z/os mainframes are incredibly solid in terms of downtime and access, scheduling and maintenance. The only issue is COBOL isn't taught nearly as much in NA as it should be so companies like the one I work for tend to use a lot of offshore resources as COBOL is taught in places like India because they know there is demand for anyone who can read/write COBOL semi-competently.

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
I work for the largest ISP in New Zealand and our main provisioning system (as well as the actual network owners) is an AS/400 terminal that connects to a system running either Cobol or RPG. A legacy system that was inherited when the monopoly telecommunications company was separated into the network end (Chorus) and retail end (Spark).

This is used for all copper based services (DSL and POTS) as well as phone services on fibre and voice over 4G. Also billing for the above stuff. It's from the late 80s but still gets occasional updates. It's still faster and more efficient than the abominations they have added since then, which are Oracle and java and JavaScript monsters.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fishstick posted:

America has a poo poo load of things still running on COBOL as well. Apparently execs from a bunch of companies have been begging colleges to offer COBOL courses so they can get some fresh blood in the COBOL pool. I've heard buzz of companies actually offering to pay the schools for the classes so students can just take them totally free or offering training to CS students/grads. That is by no means a dead language at all.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

ToxicSlurpee posted:

America has a poo poo load of things still running on COBOL as well. Apparently execs from a bunch of companies have been begging colleges to offer COBOL courses so they can get some fresh blood in the COBOL pool. I've heard buzz of companies actually offering to pay the schools for the classes so students can just take them totally free or offering training to CS students/grads. That is by no means a dead language at all.

My only programming class in college ten years ago was a COBOL course. I got scooped up by an insurance company a year before I even graduated off that alone. That got my foot in the door, and that helped me springboard into modern stuff. I can totally see why students wouldn't want to learn it or break into the industry via COBOL because it's not glamorous or particularly fun to work in, but most software development isn't

COBOL might be old and dusty but I still really miss how fast and snappy z/os green screens are compared to waiting for eclipse to finish making GBS threads its pants for the fifth time in a day

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've just seen an advert for Elastoplast here in Australia.
It features kids riding bikes, playing sports and them falling over and presumably needing a plaster for their scraped knees and elbows.
That's not the dumb bit.
The dumb bit is in the ever popular 'do the advertisers not listen to the songs they use?' category.
They used Tubthumping by Chumbawamba.
The bit where it goes "I get knocked down but I get up again"! with the kids saying "I get up again" in time to the song playing.

Helith has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Apr 6, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't see the problem?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Inescapable Duck posted:

I don't see the problem?

Tubthumping is about alcoholism, but that's really not much compared to some of the other misappropriated songs you see.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ziv Zulander posted:

Tubthumping is about alcoholism, but that's really not much compared to some of the other misappropriated songs you see.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

It's about the proletariat, actually. :science:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ItpotxmU8Q

Knowing the song, I was somewhat surprised at its usage in this advert.
Trapped in purgatory
A lifeless object, alive
Awaiting reprisal
Death will be their acquittence

The sky is turning red
Return to power draws near
Fall into me, the sky's crimson tears
Abolish the rules made of stone

Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past
Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

Awaiting the hour of reprisal
Your time slips away

Raining blood
From a lacerated sky
Bleeding its horror
Creating my structure
Now I shall reign in blood

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Years ago, when I was working in IT, the company I worked for started asking for all sorts of software solutions for complicated, time-consuming tasks. I ended up learning PHP, JavaScript and SQL to give them what they needed. It all only works in IE8. At the time, as a total novice, it made complete sense to me: it was an intranet, all the computers were XP with IE8, it was on a Windows domain and IE lets you automatically authenticate against Active Directory and no other browser does, meaning everyone automatically had their own database permissions if you use MS SQL etc. so it took out a lot of the hassle.

Chrome will do Windows Authentication by default and I think there is a flag you can change in Firefox these days to make it do so too.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

dissss posted:

Chrome will do Windows Authentication by default and I think there is a flag you can change in Firefox these days to make it do so too.

Oh yeah? That's cool.

Did it do that in 2010/11? If it did, I couldn't figure it out so I just used IE.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

spog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ItpotxmU8Q

Knowing the song, I was somewhat surprised at its usage in this advert.
Trapped in purgatory
A lifeless object, alive
Awaiting reprisal
Death will be their acquittence

The sky is turning red
Return to power draws near
Fall into me, the sky's crimson tears
Abolish the rules made of stone

Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past
Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

Awaiting the hour of reprisal
Your time slips away

Raining blood
From a lacerated sky
Bleeding its horror
Creating my structure
Now I shall reign in blood

Argent Energy already? I thought we were some decades off yet.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I also work at an insurance company, and they are going to start training me in COBOL soon. It lives.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Song about Heroin Used to Advertise Bank

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7dCrtdRtZQ

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://youtu.be/bba-dK_nS-M

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I worked at Hollywood Video in college in the early aughts, and it blew a coworker and my minds when one day one of our POS computers broke down and we discovered it ran on Cobol.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Remember that UK charity Children in Need had a shitload of celebrities and TV personalities get together for a cover of Perfect Day.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

Remember that UK charity Children in Need had a shitload of celebrities and TV personalities get together for a cover of Perfect Day.

drat.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I mostly remember because it introduced to me Shane MacGowan. He had just one line in that video, but it made a lasting impression!

Edit: Let me link the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OESp5Sts4s

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Apr 6, 2018

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Translation of the tombstone Jesse Augistunus is snowboarding on: "To the memory of stillborn children".

...Oops...

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
“Your poison wombs are making the slopes too loving crowded.”

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/Cinnabon/status/982980890195357696

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

this is great marketing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Stolen from funny pics thread: dumb marketing or best marketing?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Stolen from funny pics thread: dumb marketing or best marketing?

yes

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

I was honestly expecting pages of semen jokes but Twitter surprised me!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So there's an ad on twitch this weekend for the NBA Eastern Finals game on Sunday. It plays out first like a messenger conversation where one dude can't believe what's happening in the game, while the other is too busy on twitch to watch. So, are they saying "stop using this platform we are actively paying to advertise on"?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Twitch advertising has always been weird to me. I remember a while back I was burning through some ads in order to get free bits and it kept showing me poo poo like luxury vehicles or vacation spots and it's like, if a person is begging for a bucks worth of bits who the gently caress do you think is going to be buying this luxury poo poo?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Internet advertising is a complete racket.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Garrand posted:

Twitch advertising has always been weird to me. I remember a while back I was burning through some ads in order to get free bits and it kept showing me poo poo like luxury vehicles or vacation spots and it's like, if a person is begging for a bucks worth of bits who the gently caress do you think is going to be buying this luxury poo poo?

The people sending the bits??? Twitch has a large audience of whales and if youve a sufficiently expensive product selling even a few of them pays for itsef.

During the super bowl a few years back audi advertised one of their most expensive vehicles and people were super confused but they pointed out the ad only needed to drive like 15-20 sales to be a success

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

no like, if you don't have the money to buy bits to give to a streamer twitch lets you watch like 30 second ads and they'll give you a small number of bits for that. I don't know how that's all set up internally but if I have the cash to buy this kind of stuff then I'm not watching the ads to earn bits.

I remember watching a bunch of ads in a row and it was literally all just vehicle after vehicle and vacation spot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Garrand posted:

no like, if you don't have the money to buy bits to give to a streamer twitch lets you watch like 30 second ads and they'll give you a small number of bits for that. I don't know how that's all set up internally but if I have the cash to buy this kind of stuff then I'm not watching the ads to earn bits.

I remember watching a bunch of ads in a row and it was literally all just vehicle after vehicle and vacation spot.

I'm not sure why you would watch a bunch of ads regardless of your money situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

I'm not sure why you would watch a bunch of ads regardless of your money situation

To give bits to streamers, duh! (I don't know what that means, but he said it a few times.)