Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what is that, some kind of mech for babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Impermanent posted:

what is that, some kind of mech for babies

If said baby wants to commit warcrimes, sure.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Flea's best claim to fame was in the MC2 beta when they would go off like nukes when they died.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

aniviron posted:

It'd be pretty delightful if HBS' Battletech winds up pulling a reversal of Mechwarrior 2- instead of removing the unseen in the sequel/expansion for copyright reasons, they get added in because now the rights issue is finally loving settled.

I think adding the models and the mechs would be fine and easy, but as always, the issue is making sure they're integrated seamlessly into the game. Making sure that random AI assignments weight them properly, or that enemy AIs who are part of pre-set missions are balanced around having these mechs around. Not to mention making sure they have custom animations where they're needed. It'd also take a brave modder, since presumably HG would be willing to pursue that person in court.

I doubt it. Google around for Mech Commander 2 mods. Ones that add the unseen are loving LEGION.

Even mods that just add a new campaign or whatever will throw in unseen mechs because gently caress HG.

I've never heard of anyone getting sued over this. I think HG's big rule is to go after people with money.

Again, patent/trademark trolling 101.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I wonder if requiring you to spend a salvage when a robot gets cored before you repair it would be a good balance, just as an option?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Unrelated to the giant death machine beauty pageant, but something that seems to get talked about a lot in discussions on different mech configurations is 'sandpapering' and 'crit seeking'. In pratical terms, just how much difference is there between blasting someone with a load of missiles vs. a single AC20 in terms of actually reducing enemy mechs' combat effectiveness? Since the game automatically makes you shoot your heaviest weapon first, is it actually the case that you're best served with a mixed loadout so that you can penetrate and start getting crit rolls in the same turn, or is this something which just doesn't happen often enough to be worth taking into consideration?

Well both holepunching and critseeking have their place, but you probably want to specialize a given 'Mech's loadout for certain situations if at all possible. If you can't fit more than one holepuncher thanks to hardpoint limitations then toss in some lighter backup weapons that suit the hardpoint. For the Griffin 1N, if you think it's running a bit hot then downgrade the LRM10 to an LRM5 and add some sinks/armor. Or replace it with a couple SRMs to turn it into a big panther/lowtech version of the GRF-2N.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

A single AC/20 will strip most armor from any location. Two AC/20s hits is all but guaranteed to blow off limbs or torsos. A bunch of LRMs will take armor off everywhere.
If you want to reduce combat effectiveness, take high damage-per-hit weapons to start blowing off chunks of metal. This is why high-damage weapons (AC/20, PPC, Gauss Rifle, etc) are viable compared to 'efficient' weapons like the medium laser. One fuckhueg 20-ton autocannon will remove whatever it hits, while twenty 1-ton medium lasers will just sprinkle their bits of damage all over.

Yeah but how many 'Mechs on that list will have the hardpoints to mount dual AC/20s? I'm assuming one, and that's good ol' King Crab. I don't think you'll be able to do engine shenanigans to turn one of the Jagermechs into a demolisher-on-legs. Don't toss shade on efficient weapons in a game where most of your enemies are probably going to be lights and mediums, a Jenner with 4 MLs behind your Catapult K2 (if the Marauder and Warhammer aren't going to be in the game) is still going to gently caress it up.

Also LRMs can start doing damage to something long before AC/20s can get into range, and importantly they can do it without needing LOS. Everything has a purpose so don't be so quick to dismiss things that aren't a big gun.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It doesn't actually take engine shenanigans to put 2x AC/20s on a Jagermech. An AC/5 + AC/2 is the same tonnage as an AC/20. Swap ammo 1:1 and rip out the MLs for more. Easy enough.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Strobe posted:

It doesn't actually take engine shenanigans to put 2x AC/20s on a Jagermech. An AC/5 + AC/2 is the same tonnage as an AC/20. Swap ammo 1:1 and rip out the MLs for more. Easy enough.

My b

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

It's, uh, still not a great idea, because it leaves a Jagermech's armor exactly intact, and also overheating by movement-penalty levels every time it moves and shoots both.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Strobe posted:

I didnt realize, holy moly I just got more excited for this game (even though a dual AC/20 Jagermech will probably be bad, I dont care, going to try it).

Strobe posted:

It's, uh, still not a great idea, because it leaves a Jagermech's armor exactly intact, and also overheating by movement-penalty levels every time it moves and shoots both.
Yeah, this is why I probably wont end up doing it, unless I have some crazy good pilot that I can reserve, move and shoot, then shoot then move and cool off for a turn. Or just do dual AC/10s.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ballistics in general are also smaller in HBS Battletech, so you don't need an entire open torso to mount an AC20 in this game. (Which to be clear is an excellent thing, big ballistics were so bad in so many ways in classic TT).

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Oh man after watching a sponsored stream of this game i need this game like right now.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Xarbala posted:

Yeah but how many 'Mechs on that list will have the hardpoints to mount dual AC/20s? I'm assuming one, and that's good ol' King Crab. I don't think you'll be able to do engine shenanigans to turn one of the Jagermechs into a demolisher-on-legs. Don't toss shade on efficient weapons in a game where most of your enemies are probably going to be lights and mediums, a Jenner with 4 MLs behind your Catapult K2 (if the Marauder and Warhammer aren't going to be in the game) is still going to gently caress it up.

Also LRMs can start doing damage to something long before AC/20s can get into range, and importantly they can do it without needing LOS. Everything has a purpose so don't be so quick to dismiss things that aren't a big gun.

Oh don't get me wrong. I never dismissed efficient weapons, or any weapons really. One of the lovely thing about Battletech is how everything has its niche.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Oh don't get me wrong. I never dismissed efficient weapons, or any weapons really. One of the lovely thing about Battletech is how everything has its niche.

Well, kinda. In TT there are definitely weapons that are better than other weapons and some builds that are just flat out traps. The AC/2 comes to mind as the epitome of a near worthless weapon that is better replaced with loving anything else. How do you make a charger even worse than it is? Take out the small lasers, strip off some armor, and put in a loving AC/2.

That said, one of the great things about this game is that they are seriously re-balancing and re-jiggering it, including some people that made the actual loving TT game, so previously utter garbage weapons like AC/2s and flamers aren't complete flaming trash any more.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lighter "more efficient" weapons are also useful for vehicles. Using an AC/20 on a Striker APC is funny, but a bit of a waste.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Cyrano4747 posted:

so previously utter garbage weapons like AC/2s and flamers aren't complete flaming trash any more.

The flame thrower had a use, and that use was ejected pilots.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OB_Juan posted:

The flame thrower had a use, and that use was ejected pilots.

That's a strange way to spell "mech foot."

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Back Hack posted:

If said baby wants to commit warcrimes, sure.

This post kinda makes me want to have a kid. I didn't know this was an option for babies!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Unrelated to the giant death machine beauty pageant, but something that seems to get talked about a lot in discussions on different mech configurations is 'sandpapering' and 'crit seeking'. In pratical terms, just how much difference is there between blasting someone with a load of missiles vs. a single AC20 in terms of actually reducing enemy mechs' combat effectiveness? Since the game automatically makes you shoot your heaviest weapon first, is it actually the case that you're best served with a mixed loadout so that you can penetrate and start getting crit rolls in the same turn, or is this something which just doesn't happen often enough to be worth taking into consideration?

I've no idea how viable different configurations are in the computer game, but in the tabletop you generally want to start with a big 'hole puncher' type of a weapon like an AC/20 that'll blast open a section (and on smaller mechs, plain remove chunks of 'mech), followed up by a 'crit seeker' weapon system and hope you land a couple of hits in the section you opened up. Every hit that lands in a section with no armor has a chance to trigger a critical hit. Against lightly armored mechs this is limited in effectiveness - mostly because a hit from an AC/20 has a solid chance to plain neutralize a body part in one go anyhow - but against heavy/assault mechs with oodles of armor and internal health, every crit that gets through has a chance to take out something important and kill/cripple the target way before its armor would've implied. An Atlas for example devotes enough tonnage to its armor to make a light 'Mech out of, which lets it tank damage from 'traditional' efficient weapons like medium lasers all day long before it starts actually losing limbs (and combat effectiveness).

'Sandblasting' on the other hand is using a weapon system that spreads its damage - LRMs and SRMs in particular - against a fully-armored mech. This is generally something you don't want to do since 'mechs only start losing combat effectiveness once the armor's off and internals start taking damage/crits.

In the computer game era, the PPC, AC/10 and AC/20 seem like good hole-puncher weapons, while SRMs and LRMs in particular excel in crit-seeking. LRMs have the benefit of range, but for obvious reasons tend to more end up used against mechs with full armor.

Later on in the timeline, the introduction of the LB-X AC line of autocannons combines both hole-punching and critseeking into one package - solid slug for a traditional high-damage single-point hole-punching, followed by cluster shot to shred exposed internals.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The LRMs seem really good for building up Unstable to force knockdowns.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Drake_263 posted:

I've no idea how viable different configurations are in the computer game, but in the tabletop you generally want to start with a big 'hole puncher' type of a weapon like an AC/20 that'll blast open a section (and on smaller mechs, plain remove chunks of 'mech), followed up by a 'crit seeker' weapon system and hope you land a couple of hits in the section you opened up.
I've basically made this happen when you shoot. We sort the weapons by per-hit damage, and then resolve them in order of highest per-hit damage to lowest per-hit damage.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
For the people who have lots of experience with the tabletop game, what would you say are some things to know about the mechanics that will carry over to this? I remember playing MW4: Mercs when it came out, and I remember the basic weapon types and the looks of some of the mechs*, but people itt are talking a lot about weapon roles and how to build mechs to accomplish tasks on the battlefield and when I played MW4 I was focusing more on "hell yeah giant robots pew pew this is rad"--not to say that that's not going to be part of this game, more to say that I probably wasn't playing well by most standards.

*mostly the one with the big square missile launchers on its shoulders and the laser cannon arms, pew pew

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pirate Radar posted:

For the people who have lots of experience with the tabletop game, what would you say are some things to know about the mechanics that will carry over to this? I remember playing MW4: Mercs when it came out, and I remember the basic weapon types and the looks of some of the mechs*, but people itt are talking a lot about weapon roles and how to build mechs to accomplish tasks on the battlefield and when I played MW4 I was focusing more on "hell yeah giant robots pew pew this is rad"--not to say that that's not going to be part of this game, more to say that I probably wasn't playing well by most standards.

*mostly the one with the big square missile launchers on its shoulders and the laser cannon arms, pew pew

Cohhs stream is really good for this, he comes at it as a likeable doofus who played the vidyas but can't remember much detail and just gets ridiculously pumped about putting the pieces together

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Pirate Radar posted:

Probably the most important skill is good positioning and planning more than one turn ahead from table top.

Mech building is easy and straight forward if you have even the vaguest clue, but not immediately regretting a move you just made takes way longer to pick up imo.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope that at least one of the sturdier mechs (i.e. bigger than a firestarter) has an unreasonably large number of support hardpoints. Wanna robo-punch a dude and then shoot them with a bunch of lasers.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I hope that at least one of the sturdier mechs (i.e. bigger than a firestarter) has an unreasonably large number of support hardpoints. Wanna robo-punch a dude and then shoot them with a bunch of lasers.

Which is why I'm hoping they replace the two useless ballistic slots on the default Shadowhawk with two support hardpoints instead, So I can roll around with three MGs. Got to have my dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka :orks:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

While I have no idea what it's hardpoints will be like in this game, a quick hammering of links on Sarna of "Confirmed mechs" showed that the cool looking Thunderbolt seems to have a trend of dual machineguns in it's punching arm.

I really hope this is true. A bunch of lasers, shoulder missiles, and machinegun punch sound cool.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The Archer looks remarkably like a Mad Dog with normal legs and arms. At least to me.

The Mad Dog and the Hellbringer got me through most of mw2, which is why they hold a special place in my heart.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

The one true mech that is the MadCat, though that won't be in at the start as it's a Clan mech.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just learned there's a planet named Bob

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Touring_the_Stars:_Bob

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Xarbala posted:

I just learned there's a planet named Bob

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Touring_the_Stars:_Bob

quote:

It is a shadow world of dark woods and darker rivers, and so was it named—Dunklewälderdunkleflüsseschattenwelt. Alien predators roam the land, seas and air, named for creatures of folklore, while survivors of the once proud settlements eke out an meager existence. Dunklewälderdunkleflüsseschattenwelt suffered during the Succession Wars as many planets of the Inner Sphere did, but as detailed in Touring the Stars: Bob, the beginning of the end was unwittingly initiated by a vote to change the planet's name...

I can't even tell whether that's intended to be serious or just taking the piss wholesale.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Aramoro posted:

The one true mech that is the MadCat

Lies and Heresy

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Paingod556 posted:

Lies and Heresy

Apparently what I thought was the cockpit of that madcat is actually a gigantic thermonuclear device! I did not know that.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The Mad Dog and the Hellbringer got me through most of mw2, which is why they hold a special place in my heart.

Two LRM20s + two ERPPCs baby! Worked pretty much perfectly outside the trials and one mission where you start with a Warhawk in your face.

Looking at the mech list and it seems a little light, but hopefully more mechs will come out in another game. Also, I looked up the Clint and Whitworth after another poster mentioned a lack of 40 tonners and I have to ask, why are some stock mechs hilariously under-gunned compared to others in the same weight class?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

King Doom posted:

Apparently what I thought was the cockpit of that madcat is actually a gigantic thermonuclear device! I did not know that.

Actually that was just his MG ammo cooking off. A common mistake

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Paingod556 posted:

Lies and Heresy

Incorrect, I mean as you can see there the MadCat was only defeated by 160 tonnes of mech and event then it took them both with it.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
I like how an ancient low-budget game has smoother animations than MWO.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Paingod556 posted:

Actually that was just his MG ammo cooking off. A common mistake

:golfclap:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I love Mech 3's opening but it can't compare to how mindblowing Mech 2's was at the time:

RIP Summoner, best clanner scum mech. Also RIP me because that Can I Run It website says I can't run this game. I was surprised because it can run MWO, but now I realize that was 4 1/2 years ago. Probly still gonna buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I've played MW2 using dosbox and it runs perfectly. Bit of a pain to set up though.