Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
"I know jack poo poo about Japan" -- get Lonely Planet Japan if you can afford it, use Japan-Guide if you can't.

"I have a vague idea of where and what I'm interested in" -- Japan-Guide and Wikitravel/Wikivoyage

"I'm looking for a very specific type of experience, want first-hand opinions on a place/thing, or I've planned an itinerary and want to make sure it's sane" -- /r/japantravel, it can be hostile to basic questions but is a great resource

Also feel free to PM me if you want to chat, I like travel planning and can help you with info that's not available in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

First time visits are basically 3 days Tokyo 3 days Kyoto then an extra day around Fuji, Nara, Hiroshima etc. as your schedule allows. You'll be fine!!! Enjoy the research!!

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

MY WAIFU and I are planning to visit Tokyo and Mt. Fuji in late August for abotu 2 weeks. We're also considering making a trip down to Osaka. It's a little overwhelming trying to plan compared to domestic/European/Australian travel though just because it's SO dense and there's so much to do, not to mention the cultural/language barrier. Are there any highly recommended guides for basic getting around, finding a hotel that's not hourly rates, finding the best stuff to see, etc?

EDIT we are mainly interested in (in descending order) good food, cool architecture (both historic and modern), weird unique sights and attractions, and clothes shopping

You're best off picking a basic route and then filling in time and activities from there. A basic tokyo-Fuji-Kyoto+Osaka route will probably be sufficient for a first trip if you don't have any more specific needs.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For the architecture stuff you can check out https://art.japan.travel

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have arrived at my ryokan in Hakodate. I'm okay with this being expensive, it's definitely an experience. Greeted by five attendants who naturally take care of all the luggage. Shown around to dining room, onsen, etc. Huge room with view of the sea. It doesn't matter the least that it's cold, sleet weather, I could sit here for hours just listening to the waves rolling.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I've got a question regarding a Japanese arcade game and I have no idea if this is the right place..

I'm halfway through my solo vacation in Tokyo. When I'm not exploring or taking stupid amounts of pictures, I hit the arcade. There's this game called Lord of Vermilion IV. Does anyone here know how to play it and can explain it? I watched some guys play and while I can't make sense of it, the card game-strategy-lite looks really fun.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Don't know it, but it sounds like something where you'd need to be able to read to play?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I'm in tokyo. I have no idea what's going on and I loving love it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

Go to Shibuya hub you’re welcome

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Eat at genkai

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Holy gently caress onsen water is hot. I'm not used to being sous-vide cooked, especially not of own volition.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Holy gently caress onsen water is hot. I'm not used to being sous-vide cooked, especially not of own volition.

Me and a friend were playing on chilling in the onsen for a couple of hours.

We didn't last 30 minutes without getting out atleast once.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

Eat at genkai

Man, there are a lot of restaurants in Tokyo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stringent posted:

Man, there are a lot of restaurants in Tokyo.

but have you heard of a place called

wait i already made this joke

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sefal posted:

Me and a friend were playing on chilling in the onsen for a couple of hours.

We didn't last 30 minutes without getting out atleast once.

Yeah, that’s part of the process. Go in and make people soup for a bit, get out and cool down, go to the sauna to heat all the way up, go sit in the cold tub. That’s the idea.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

Don't know it, but it sounds like something where you'd need to be able to read to play?

I'm kinda hoping it'll be like some other japanese only games I played where, once I got the mechanics down, i can just skip all the text and get right to the game.

Also I like collecting cards and that game has some nice looking cards.

Magic Underwear posted:

I know right! And it only gets better..

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Archer666 posted:

I'm kinda hoping it'll be like some other japanese only games I played where, once I got the mechanics down, i can just skip all the text and get right to the game.

Probably is yeah.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Onsen water tastes like miso soup.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Good Parmesan posted:

Onsen water tastes like miso soup.

gently caress off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

gently caress off.

With this level of salt your onsen water might taste like miso.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

harperdc posted:

Yeah, that’s part of the process. Go in and make people soup for a bit, get out and cool down, go to the sauna to heat all the way up, go sit in the cold tub. That’s the idea.

But if you stay in longer, you might get an extra boost to charisma.

Thanks everyone for the japan-guide.com rec and other links, that is really helpful.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

harperdc posted:

Don’t forget to bring some eggs with you to cook in the water and make onsen tamagotchi.

Don’t actually do this

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Speaking of tourist itineraries, Japan Guide and the Lonely Planet book are what helped me.

After toying with several experimental options, I ended up settling on a rather predictable route for my 13 day trip this Fall. (Tokyo, Nikko, Hakone, Kyoto, Hiroshima/Miyajima, one night in Osaka so I don't have to go from Hiroshima to Hakone in one day).

Three additional questions for the group, though.
1) Acquaintances are trying to get me to consider an overnight in Koyasan. My research doesn't convince me that it's any different from the numerous other mountains with spiritual stuff on top I could go to. Is there something I'm not grasping?

2) Are any of the train rides on the regular/Shinkansen routes particularly more scenic than usual? I'm thinking of making most of my travels in the evening since I figure if I'm spending 2 hours on a train, might as well do it when it's too dark to do most things anyways, but don't know if I would miss an excellent view.

3) Anywhere on the way I can see more "traditional" villages or sidestreets other than the big detour to the Magome/Hida/Takayama region?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Good trip but I would spend cut hakone out and give more time to the side streets of Kyoto

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The difference is that Koya-san is loving massive, and you can do overnight temple stays. It has the biggest graveyard in the world.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

kuddles posted:

3) Anywhere on the way I can see more "traditional" villages or sidestreets other than the big detour to the Magome/Hida/Takayama region?

Probably not what you have in mind, but are you planning on visiting edomura in Nikko? Took the kids there last year and we all had a pretty good time.

Alternatively there's Koedo up in Kawagoe in Saitama. It's basically just the one street with some udon and souvenir shops, but it's an easy train ride from Tokyo.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

With this level of salt your onsen water might taste like miso.

lol

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Am I wrong in thinking that the JR rail pass is just barely not worth it? I'm doing a very similar trip to the above (starting in Fukuoka and going Miyajima->Hiroshima->Osaka->Kyoto->Fuji->Tokyo with some assorted day trips along the way) and when pricing it out in Google maps it was still slightly less than getting rail passes. Is that right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It just depends what you're doing. It's sort of designed from a Japanese point of view where you have seven days of vacation and are going to be on a shinkansen multiple times in that period. If you're taking a longer trip and traveling more leisurely it's not worth it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Yawgmoft posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that the JR rail pass is just barely not worth it? I'm doing a very similar trip to the above (starting in Fukuoka and going Miyajima->Hiroshima->Osaka->Kyoto->Fuji->Tokyo with some assorted day trips along the way) and when pricing it out in Google maps it was still slightly less than getting rail passes. Is that right?

What are the prices you’re seeing here? Seems like with that many trips and stops the pass should be worth it but details would be nice.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It should definitely be worth a rail pass if you get a 1 week and don't activate it until the day you leave Fukuoka, and use it for all the stuff in-between, finishing in Tokyo (summary: don't include Fukuoka or Tokyo tourism in your rail pass days, just the shinkansen.)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
After being in Tokyo for a week and bouncing around Akihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku and Takadanobaba (a day each) I still feel like I haven't scratched of the city... or hell, even the parts I've been to.

Edit: forgot Ikebukuro, which I just got back from

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 7, 2018

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

the progression is usually Shimbashi->Kanda->Ueno->Asakusa->Kinshicho->Kitasenju->Gotanda, welcome to the dark side

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

One last annoying question: Is Fuji-q as bad as it sounds online? Was planning on going because I love roller coasters, but it sounds like even if you luck out with weather and it being a quiet weekday, you still basically are either racing to the fastpass box at park opening and spending a fortune or you're stuck in 2+ hour lines.

caberham posted:

Good trip but I would spend cut hakone out and give more time to the side streets of Kyoto
Hmm..I'm already spending 3 days in Kyoto but maybe I will switch to 4 and do Koyasan overnight or a nearby mountain hike or something and also add another day to Tokyo. Honestly, I chose Hakone less out of a massive desire and more because spending time in an onsen/ryokan at the end of my trip seemed ideal and Hakone seems to have enough to do even if it's too foggy to see anything.

Stringent posted:

Probably not what you have in mind, but are you planning on visiting edomura in Nikko? Took the kids there last year and we all had a pretty good time.

Alternatively there's Koedo up in Kawagoe in Saitama. It's basically just the one street with some udon and souvenir shops, but it's an easy train ride from Tokyo.
Planning 2 full days in Nikko so I was considering Edo Wonderland, actually. It seems opinions are mixed as to whether it was highly entertaining or tacky garbage, but as a white dude with no Asia experiences, maybe I wouldn't mind either way. Do you think it would still be cool going as a single adult with no kids?

Kawagoe sounds interesting! I arrive late afternoon the day of the festival, so that's a bummer. I apparently am going just in time to miss a bunch of different October celebrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

kuddles posted:

Planning 2 full days in Nikko so I was considering Edo Wonderland, actually. It seems opinions are mixed as to whether it was highly entertaining or tacky garbage, but as a white dude with no Asia experiences, maybe I wouldn't mind either way. Do you think it would still be cool going as a single adult with no kids?

Yeah totally, there's an archery booth I could have spent an hour at easy. And the ninja show was a lot of fun.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

peanut posted:

It should definitely be worth a rail pass if you get a 1 week and don't activate it until the day you leave Fukuoka, and use it for all the stuff in-between, finishing in Tokyo (summary: don't include Fukuoka or Tokyo tourism in your rail pass days, just the shinkansen.)

I should probably note this is spread out over two weeks, not one. Leaving Fukuoka on the 30th of June and hitting Tokyo on the 11th.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check the prices of regional passes like the Kansai and/or Western Japan passes.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

kuddles posted:

It's a theme park with a bunch of fun shows and cool sights instead of rides. If you're looking for that & not an "authentic cultural experience" or whatever, it's a blast.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I feel like the whole idea of having an "authentic" experience on vacations is kind of ridiculous anyways, but if I stay in a temple on Koyasan that will be close enough. I could do for some theme park fun that at least is more unique to the location than Disney or Universal Studios would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
So, I'll be going to Japan with my dad. We've never been to a wrestling match, and we've got tickets for a New Japan event.

I can't tell if there's a dress code. Looking at crowd pics, I see a lot of dudes in white shirts and nice jackets, but that could be people coming straight from work for all I know. Are we fine going in casuals, or should we pack something a bit nicer for the match?