Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Wouldn't that last hit be sub optimal? Because there's the first part before the flip is only like 100 damage, it's the after flip that does the 400. Or are you shoulder charging twice and also missing the first bit before the flip to get the biggest number to double when it hits the sleeping monster? That's so precise I can't even believe that's what you mean.

You don't have to shoulder charge. If you get it where your first combo swing barely misses, you can finish out the combo and have the last hit land first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Baron posted:

Armor? If you mean the spring armor, it's a different ticket and you need 15.

Also 3 more for the Palico armor! GIVE ME TICKETS!

Crap, you're right, for some reason I keep thinking there's only 4 pieces of armor. How do I grind Spring Blossom Tickets?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

Wouldn't that last hit be sub optimal? Because there's the first part before the flip is only like 100 damage, it's the after flip that does the 400. Or are you shoulder charging twice and also missing the first bit before the flip to get the biggest number to double when it hits the sleeping monster? That's so precise I can't even believe that's what you mean.

It is exactly one evade roll away from the head. Turn 180, shoulder charge from level 1 to 2, then 2 to 3. Release and it misses the first hit and lands the second every time.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Flytrap posted:

Crap, you're right, for some reason I keep thinking there's only 4 pieces of armor. How do I grind Spring Blossom Tickets?

From what I can gather, you get one every day and then when the daily limited stuff starts you get tickets from those.

Which sucks cause I want that Palico gear like now dammit.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Huxley posted:

It is exactly one evade roll away from the head. Turn 180, shoulder charge from level 1 to 2, then 2 to 3. Release and it misses the first hit and lands the second every time.

I have trouble with this method since I always run evade extender.

Man the rocket sword looks sooooo much better on my back compared to that fugly jagras hacker. Too bad it doesn't have the level 3 slots though

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Huxley posted:

With or without evade extender?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Huxley posted:

One evade roll works for me without the tackles. Kinda suprised 2x tackles work to be honest considering they move you forward.

One evade roll without extender on level ground, lvl 1, lvl 2, finisher lands on head.

Most areas monsters sleep have slight slopes though so it doesn't work super well so you have to compensate a little. Teo works fairly well, Vaal is a slight up hill so one roll puts you slightly too far, Nerg's spikes can actually harden while he sleeps so it's better to just go for it before they turn black in my experience.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This rocket sword is really cool. Too bad it will replace the Deviljho greatsword I just recently made, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Is it legal to marry a Greatsword? Because :swoon:

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Where's the daily bounties for more tickets? I talked to the resource center trio but they just have last week's completed limited bounties.

:siren: You need to go to the gathering hub first to see the spring event/ get the new tutorial before you can go back to the Resource Center to get the Weekly Limited Bounty which resets every day.:siren:

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Squidtentacle posted:

Elder Dragons are forces of nature. Every other monster in the game is more or less reasonable as a creature grounded in reality that could, theoretically, exist in the real world. Anjanath doesn't magically create fire, it has a sac in its throat that creates flames, and its mucus is highly flammable, letting it sneeze out a stream of fire. Diablos is just a hyper-aggressive, tanky herbivore that becomes even more aggressive in heat, but doesn't really have any exceptional abilities. Tobi Kadachi has fur that remains perpetually dry, and it rubs itself against trees and rocks to create static electricity.

Elder Dragons don't have any reasonable explanation for what they can do and are forces of nature themselves. Kushala Daora creates tornados and storms without any physical intervention. Teostra covers itself in fire and creates massive explosions. Kirin makes thunderstorms just by existing and can summon lightning wherever it wants. Vaal Hazak creates a noxious mist that seems to animate the dead and makes living creatures even more aggressive. Zorah Magdaros is a living volcano. Xeno'jiva is born from pure energy and is just exploding with raw power. If those aren't exceptional compared to every other species, I'm not sure what could be.

It's also worth comparing how quickly these things could level a settlement like Astera. Even Rathalos would need to physically move from place to place and blast fireballs around; Kushala Daora could just manifest a tornado from the other side of the wall and tear up the buildings inside. Hell, Xeno'jiva could just Godzilla it up and sweep a beam over the settlement. They may get chumped by one dude with a sword and good aim with flash bombs ingame, but they're definitely not underwhelming compared to most other creatures.

This is from a minute and a half back, but thinking on it why the hell was shagaru magala elder and gore magala wasn't when they were thematically identical? (Virus, vaguely related to time in some way????)

I know the answer is they wanted BOTH a dramatic new monster to fight rathalos in low rank as well as an end game novelty, but it does blur the lines of elder dragon and Big Scary Regular Dragon so much.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Adregan posted:

:siren: You need to go to the gathering hub first to see the spring event/ get the new tutorial before you can go back to the Resource Center to get the Weekly Limited Bounty which resets every day.:siren:

There isn't one to do right away though, is there? I swear I looked but it was just the last bounties still. Just turned the game off for the night otherwise I would check again.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Not entirely sure but it seems like the spring fireworks actually give you a very nice attack boost. I will have to test it again later since I only did one mission. It felt like I was hitting harder than usual and definitely had a sparkle effect on my lance attacks after I used one.

E: It looks as though I was mistaken. Might just be a neat visual effect.

Chrodyn fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 6, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apparently they added some rad beetle armor, too. Low rank, but when they ever get around to adding cosmetic slots it'll be nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEEaIWmgWhc

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Baron posted:

There isn't one to do right away though, is there? I swear I looked but it was just the last bounties still. Just turned the game off for the night otherwise I would check again.

Normally we would just log in and talk to the resource center to get the new weekly limited bounty, but this time it’s weird and they want you to check out the gathering hub and the spring event first before going back to unlock the weekly limited bounty. It’s also different because they rotate each day and give you spring blossom tickets and not prints. They are super easy though.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
I haven't played in a little while but I'm coming back for the Spring stuff and itching to use a new weapon.

Does anyone have any good builds for heavy bow gun?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

charismaslover posted:

I haven't played in a little while but I'm coming back for the Spring stuff and itching to use a new weapon.

I'm a big fan of using the Jagras HBG, non-elemental + spread + guard + guard up. Defensive Shotgun build.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Gerdalti posted:

I'm a big fan of using the Jagras HBG, non-elemental + spread + guard + guard up. Defensive Shotgun build.

Cool I'll have a look at that. Any particular armour pieces you use for any set bonuses?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Adregan posted:

Normally we would just log in and talk to the resource center to get the new weekly limited bounty, but this time it’s weird and they want you to check out the gathering hub and the spring event first before going back to unlock the weekly limited bounty. It’s also different because they rotate each day and give you spring blossom tickets and not prints. They are super easy though.

I've been back and forth to the Hub a dozen times now and it's not showing any new quests.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's in your Limited Bounties tab where you look at Bounties and Investigations. They'll change daily instead of weekly until the spring event is over.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

v1ld posted:

It's in your Limited Bounties tab where you look at Bounties and Investigations. They'll change daily instead of weekly until the spring event is over.

That's where I'm looking, it still just shows this week's events, still 11 hours until it refreshes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

chumbler posted:

Apparently they added some rad beetle armor, too. Low rank, but when they ever get around to adding cosmetic slots it'll be nice.

Man I hope they do this, MHW needs an armor system like Nioh where you can make anything look like anything else you’ve owned real bad.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Did megaman come out yet

I took a break and forgot to check in for a bit :S

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Flytrap posted:

That's where I'm looking, it still just shows this week's events, still 11 hours until it refreshes.

Weird, mine switched hours ago.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

v1ld posted:

Weird, mine switched hours ago.

Mine did too, but my friend was stuck with the standard ones.

Ironically I wanted the standard ones because I'm out of gold prints and Anjanath is being a real stingy cock with his gems.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
After getting all the crowns from Effluvial Opera in consecutive tries, am I in for the same amount of effort in all the other ones, or did I just get very lucky? Because I just did the forest version of that quest and sadly got nothing.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

charismaslover posted:

Normal HBG build using Diablos Blazooka w/ Three Long Range mods, Normal Shot charm and the Teostra Chestpiece for Special Ammo Up 2 to boost Wyvernsnipe. Otherwise, just slot in as many attack skills as you can get, my build uses Attack Boost 4, Agitator 3, Weakness Exploit 2, and Peak Performance 3.

Pierce Ammo build using the Shattercryst with three Long Range mods and Pierce Ammo Up. Same skills as above, but I don't run special Ammo Up so you can get even more attack skills. You could use Special Ammo to boost Wyvernheart, but you don't get nearly the same mileage out of it since Snipe only takes like 45 seconds to cooldown.

Spread Ammo builds are the most versatile since you also want to run them with a shield, so your build will end up somewhere on a slider in between offensive skills and defensive skills. You always want Spread Ammo Up but that's about it, otherwise skills you might want are the attack ones mentioned above, and for defensive skills try Guard Up to take less chip damage, Urugaan set bonus to guard unblockables, the Vaal Hazaak set bonus to passively regen health, or the Nerg set bonus to heal by attacking. Jagras gun is good early-game but the Nergigante gun has access to Spread 3 ammo which is miles better than Spread 2. Use two Close Range mods and a single shield mod, if you want more defense than get defensive skills rather than using more shield mods.

Last build is a total meme but use the Xenojiva set bonus to pray for unlimited ammo and spam Cluster Bomb ammo with the Zorah/Deviljho gun.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Camel Camus posted:

This is from a minute and a half back, but thinking on it why the hell was shagaru magala elder and gore magala wasn't when they were thematically identical? (Virus, vaguely related to time in some way????)

I know the answer is they wanted BOTH a dramatic new monster to fight rathalos in low rank as well as an end game novelty, but it does blur the lines of elder dragon and Big Scary Regular Dragon so much.

I'm pretty sure Gore is classified as an elder in later games. It just wasn't in 4 because it was completely new and there wasn't much chance to research it to confirm what it was all about. The frenzy virus was also pretty rough, but it didn't get to the point of "total ecosystem annihilation" until it matured into Shagaru, so it didn't seem quiiiite at ED status yet.

Really, though, it's just an excuse to have it be all "woaaaah what's this new thing" without giving too many player expectations by labeling it ED right off the bat. They just gave Gore a ??? classification through that storyline and confirmed it was an ED when it matured into Shagaru.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I farmed Legiana for 4 hours last night to get a gem to craft the ice bow. Now I need a Odogaron gem to make Fitness 2 charm and who knows what for 3 and I think I'm ready to actually use a bow :v:

e: Daora gem :argh:

I should've been farming the rocket sword instead :black101:

e2: When do i get materials to actually meld poo poo? The melder has several monster gems available, but on the right side there's nothing i can use as fodder for points. I assume I need gems to meld gems, and I just don't have any?

suuma fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 6, 2018

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

charismaslover posted:

Cool I'll have a look at that. Any particular armour pieces you use for any set bonuses?

Key Features:
1 Shield mod + 2 Close Range Mods on the Gluttonous Fangcannon
Guard Up (Uragaan Set or Shield Jewel)
Spread/Power Shots (Lavasioth Legs or Spread Jewel)
Non-Elemental Boost (You really need a jewel for this, but it's not required to make the build work)

Beyond that, you can really play with it however you'd like. Toss in the attack charm and a jewel for Attack Boost 4. Dragonking Eyepatch + an Exploiter Jewel somewhere is a solid dps boost that comes with a level 3 jewel slot.

And you can pretty easily scale it up or down. I run a Vaal set with a bunch of DPS boosts for regular Tempered investigations and just skip Guard Up (I still do guard 3).

It's pretty fun and safe.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 6, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

suuma posted:

I farmed Legiana for 4 hours last night to get a gem to craft the ice bow. Now I need a Odogaron gem to make Fitness 2 charm and who knows what for 3 and I think I'm ready to actually use a bow :v:

e: Daora gem :argh:

I should've been farming the rocket sword instead :black101:

Rocket sword is cool as hell and makes me wish I could use GS more effectively than "hold down triangle".

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm just prety bored of lance because I can't die but it takes 20 minutes to kill anything, but the grind to switch to a different weapon is burning me out.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

suuma posted:

I'm just prety bored of lance because I can't die but it takes 20 minutes to kill anything, but the grind to switch to a different weapon is burning me out.

Murder Devijho a lot, all of his stuff only needs his drops. Unless you're still in LR, in which case, uh...Pukei Pukei is easy to grind out?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What's a good place to start with for bow? This is my first time getting into ranged weapons and I really don't know anything. I guess I need a constitution charm?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm HR 39 or something, and just killed the two tempered bazel's.

Haven't tried deviljho yet.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Tempered Deviljo beat the poo poo out of me. My first faint came from him spitting out a great jagras at me, fainting me instantly from full hp.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RisqueBarber posted:

Tempered Deviljo beat the poo poo out of me. My first faint came from him spitting out a great jagras at me, fainting me instantly from full hp.

Flash him when he picks up Jagras, he drops it and stuns. Also flash him when you get knocked into the ground animation-one shot.

Flashes actually wreck Jho as badly as they do Raths.

suuma posted:

Be more aggressive. Counter is an offensive move, Powerguard is a crazy offensive move. Learn your positioning moves (guard advance triple poke and charge, mostly). Killtimes with lance are competitive with everything else so it might be that you're turtling too much.

OR

If you're not clicking feel free to move on. Every weapon is fun and none of them are hard to pick up and play halfway competently. Don't feel bad for bouncing off one, there are a ton more.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 6, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Murder Devijho a lot, all of his stuff only needs his drops. Unless you're still in LR, in which case, uh...Pukei Pukei is easy to grind out?

Nerg stuff is also a good grind, provided you’re stocked on Xeno’jiiva horns.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Huxley posted:

Be more aggressive. Counter is an offensive move, Powerguard is a crazy offensive move. Learn your positioning moves (guard advance triple poke and charge, mostly). Killtimes with lance are competitive with everything else so it might be that you're turtling too much.

OR

If you're not clicking feel free to move on. Every weapon is fun and none of them are hard to pick up and play halfway competently. Don't feel bad for bouncing off one, there are a ton more.

I feel like I manage to stay pretty aggressive, but I get knocked down a lot. Sometimes 3-4 times in a row. Probably need to guard/counter more, if anything. Or evade better.

I can kill most LR monsters (like the LR Legianas I had to farm for bow stuff last night) in like 3 minutes, if that means anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

suuma posted:

I feel like I manage to stay pretty aggressive, but I get knocked down a lot. Sometimes 3-4 times in a row. Probably need to guard/counter more, if anything. Or evade better.

I can kill most LR monsters (like the LR Legianas I had to farm for bow stuff last night) in like 3 minutes, if that means anything.

What is it taking you 20 minutes to kill? TEDs can take that long solo, but full-sunk into endgame I find most fights take around 8-12 minutes. This is with Attack 4, Exploit 3, and either non-elemental or the Rath 2-piece bonus then whatever QoL stuff I find space for.

Also, some monsters just don't lance as well. I always had trouble with Urugaan and Goose with lance, and generally just swapped to a secondary weapon when I needed to farm them.