Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Does this mean there will be a comedian there to roast her? Because that could be equally glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Huckabee face reactions will be fantastic

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Ularg posted:

Wasn't it evangelicals who believed, completely straight, that it's okay to ravage the land of natural resources and destroy it completely because it won't matter when they go to heaven?

Cause that is legit dangerous to the rest of the people on this planet to have to be around.

Evangelicals are crazy fucks and the root of a lot of problems in this country, so probably.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ularg posted:

Wasn't it evangelicals who believed, completely straight, that it's okay to ravage the land of natural resources and destroy it completely because it won't matter when they go to heaven?

Cause that is legit dangerous to the rest of the people on this planet to have to be around.

Yeah it's been a while since I read up on it but I believe the logic was basically "God wouldn't give man something he could gently caress up that badly so therefor we can't affect the Environment on a level that would destroy the Earth so ANYTHING GOES!"

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I am excited for lying ogre jokes.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

That's less then the amount entering the market. Think for it to be a net plus it has to be 200k or so a month.

I'm pretty sure this is bullshit. How could we not have unbridled growth after last year's tax cuts? The idea that it's a net negative is ludicrous.

*holds earpiece*

This just in: reports claim that our deficit is the problem, and point to spending as the sole cause.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ularg posted:

Yeah pretty much. The bearded jackass in the sky said the world's our domain and all.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ularg posted:

It has more to do with some quoted line in the bible about God giving man dominion over the animals and the earth (which they've taken to read its their duty to hate-rape the earth and everything on it as much as possible or else their dishonoring God's gift).

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Soothing Vapors posted:

I feel confident he doesn't take the time to apply bronzer to his dong and it is a ghostly, horrifying shade of white
I feel confident that if Trump is looking at himself in a mirror long enough to apply the orange tint to his face, there's no way his bronzer-drenched hands don't end up on his dick just out of pure narcissistic lust.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cool. he is gonna double down now.
It's almost as though there's some sort of a trend.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I feel confident he doesn't take the time to apply bronzer to his dong and it is a ghostly, horrifying shade of white
It's worse -- he DOES apply the bronzer to it, resulting in the greatest contrast with the multiple blue, wormlike varicosities.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CascadeBeta posted:

I mentioned this the other day but a fundamental tenant behind evangelical teachings is that Christ's teachings are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that he died for the sins of mortal man and that if you believe, you are guaranteed entry to heaven.

It's real dumb.

This seems like the laziest version of Christianity. Like the Ash Wednesday Mass (at least in Catholic teachings) is literally you don't get to call your self pious because you accept Christ and say LOOK AT ME I LOVE CHRIST, that its the work you do that reflects the religion. Essentially, without the good deeds and confessing what's the point?

Of course Catholicism has its own issues but it just feels wrong to me.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Hobo posted:

I feel confident that if Trump is looking at himself in a mirror long enough to apply the orange tint to his face, there's no way his bronzer-drenched hands don't end up on his dick just out of pure narcissistic lust.

Elections Have Consequences, Pt. 4325.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
evangelical christianity's lack of structure or any real moral tenets means it functionally exists solely to make lovely people justify everything they do as righteous and good

they treat the bible as a how-to manual on being Better Than Everyone Else without ever feeling particularly motivated to actually study it

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I don’t even see libs voting for a crisis actor.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Lmao
https://mobile.twitter.com/TimJHanrahan/status/982238268480565248

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blind Rasputin posted:

I don’t even see libs voting for a crisis actor.

Solid.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

This seems like the laziest version of Christianity. Like the Ash Wednesday Mass (at least in Catholic teachings) is literally you don't get to call your self pious because you accept Christ and say LOOK AT ME I LOVE CHRIST, that its the work you do that reflects the religion. Essentially, without the good deeds and confessing what's the point?

Of course Catholicism has its own issues but it just feels wrong to me.

How mainstream was Jack Chick in Evangelical circles? Because he literally had a story where Christian missionaries who spent their whole life helping the less fortunate go to Hell when they die because in all that time they didn't say out loud that they accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

UCS Hellmaker posted:

That's less then the amount entering the market. Think for it to be a net plus it has to be 200k or so a month.

It's about 140k.

But job numbers are really weird. A lot of people look at these numbers and think, "cool, 100k new jobs", but that's 100k jobs over the churn rate, which is something like 800k. So maybe 400k jobs went by-by and 500k jobs were created. The numbers they're working with here are absolutely massive but they're also highly inaccurate since it's done with phone sampling if I'm remembering correctly. Further sampling will reveal jobs that were previously unrecorded and past numbers are always being revised.

Radish posted:

You can see that mindset with the Hogg/Ingraham stuff. People were really mad he didn't just accept her bullshit, obviously insincere apology. That mindset is based around deeds not mattering, the people in power (such as the male head of a family) just have to say magic words and other people are expected to just get over everything and if they don't THEY are the bad people.

I haven't seen anyone defend Ingraham's apology. I think most people realized it was a terrible one. The fact is, Hogg did almost nothing to her. Her defenders act like this is some kind of calculated strike, but his tweet was relatively tame. I think advertisers have been souring on Ingraham for awhile and finally decided to part ways. I wouldn't be surprised if going after LeBron James did more damage than Hogg, but he was the tipping point.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DandyLion posted:

It has more to do with some quoted line in the bible about God giving man dominion over the animals and the earth (which they've taken to read its their duty to hate-rape the earth and everything on it as much as possible or else their dishonoring God's gift).

They don't usually quote the part where God banishes Israel from the promised land for overfarming it -- i.e. not giving it a sabbath year every 7 years -- and the exile lasted for exactly the number of years it would take to give the land the rest they didn't give it. (Among lots of other things, of course.)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The jobs numbers could be adjusted down or up so they could end up worse than they are now.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Blind Rasputin posted:

What, who’s Kafka? Tell me!

I hate that I know the source of this quote immediately.

Stop eating my sesame cake!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Johnny Bravo posted:

He won't tweet, those numbers are 100k under estimate.

It's an increase therefore it's good and the magahats will accept it as good if he tweets about it and our economy.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lemming posted:

They don't usually quote the part where God banishes Israel from the promised land for overfarming it -- i.e. not giving it a sabbath year every 7 years -- and the exile lasted for exactly the number of years it would take to give the land the rest they didn't give it. (Among lots of other things, of course.)

It's parts like this that make you realise how much of the Bible is basically a manual on how not to get food poisoning or destroy your arable land or get your tribe killed, just repackaged as a series of parables for dumbass Levantine peasants who learned primarily by oral tradition.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Trump Tweet: "Price of soybeans has dropped to unbelievable levels and our great nation's farmers are doing broke. DO SOMETHING!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

well no poo poo. he hates bezos because of the newspaper and probaly because Bezos is actually rich as gently caress.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How mainstream was Jack Chick in Evangelical circles? Because he literally had a story where Christian missionaries who spent their whole life helping the less fortunate go to Hell when they die because in all that time they didn't say out loud that they accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

idk. jack kinda said the quiet parts loud alot so who knows.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's parts like this that make you realise how much of the Bible is basically a manual on how not to get food poisoning or destroy your arable land or get your tribe killed, just repackaged as a series of parables for dumbass Levantine peasants who learned primarily by oral tradition.

The other half is largely country hicks ("prophets") gettin' real made that those city folks are adopting the culture of whatever empire just conquered them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Turns out when your religion believes people are naturally evil except your specific people are good because of a literal Deus Ex Machina, it naturally leads to you becoming a shithead

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I love how the line on his USPS bullshit is "declined to believe them" rather than "continued to knowingly lie about it to the American people".

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well no poo poo. he hates bezos because of the newspaper and probaly because Bezos is actually rich

yea but the idea of having to sit the president down with a powerpoint presentation illustrating why hes an idiot just to have him scream fake news and walk out of the room is pretty funny

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's about 140k.

But job numbers are really weird. A lot of people look at these numbers and think, "cool, 100k new jobs", but that's 100k jobs over the churn rate, which is something like 800k. So maybe 400k jobs went by-by and 500k jobs were created. The numbers they're working with here are absolutely massive but they're also highly inaccurate since it's done with phone sampling if I'm remembering correctly. Further sampling will reveal jobs that were previously unrecorded and past numbers are always being revised.

I haven't seen anyone defend Ingraham's apology. I think most people realized it was a terrible one. The fact is, Hogg did almost nothing to her. Her defenders act like this is some kind of calculated strike, but his tweet was relatively tame. I think advertisers have been souring on Ingraham for awhile and finally decided to part ways. I wouldn't be surprised if going after LeBron James did more damage than Hogg, but he was the tipping point.

https://www.themaven.net/theresurgent/erick-erickson/david-hogg-is-a-high-school-bully-mSI3k3Njd0OcUaS-35pFDQ/?full=1
http://www.theintell.com/opinion/20180406/op-ed-free-speech-takes-another-hit
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/washington-times-opinion-editor-smears-parkland-survivor-brown-shirt-bullying-laura-ingraham/ (they took down the Op-ed after it got attention)

Additionally there were tons of people repeating this line on social media; who knows how many were legit but it was a popular talking point in any news feed that discussed the story so someone was pushing it. No pundit with any sense said that since it's a terrible thing to say (and I doubt many wanted to go down with Ingraham) but when you are percolating in right wing insanity sometimes the truth you say behind closed doors comes out. Also if that line of attack had been more successful, more people would have been repeating it as they are cowards.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"I think he's talking to you..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U0AqxlxfBs

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

evangelical christianity's lack of structure or any real moral tenets means it functionally exists solely to make lovely people justify everything they do as righteous and good

they treat the bible as a how-to manual on being Better Than Everyone Else without ever feeling particularly motivated to actually study it

This but all religion

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Cru Jones posted:

I love how the line on his USPS bullshit is "declined to believe them" rather than "continued to knowingly lie about it to the American people".

Washington D.C., November 2020 "President Trump, following the results of the elections where Democratic candidate Oprah won in a 523-8 landslide, incorrectly stated that the incumbent president has power of veto over elections. As such, Donald J. Trump is now re-elected as POTUS for another term."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

This but all religion

Whoa, edgy!!

[FYAD Pac Man "Deal with it" flag dot jpeg]

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also just as an aside Erick Erickson also wrote another article about conservatives being oppressed (like mean ol' Hogg bullying poor Ingraham) because that guy that said woman should be hanged for having abortions got fired but he's of course too much of a coward to repeat what he said while defending him.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, not surprised in the least. :geno:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

kidkissinger posted:

This but all religion

Your words are as empty as your soul.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

Whoa, edgy!!

[FYAD Pac Man "Deal with it" flag dot jpeg]

It's silly to think those issues are unique to Christianity :shrug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Erick Erickson is making up for any goodwill he got for being a NeverTrumper by now being an epic fucktard.

Radish posted:

https://www.themaven.net/theresurgent/erick-erickson/david-hogg-is-a-high-school-bully-mSI3k3Njd0OcUaS-35pFDQ/?full=1
http://www.theintell.com/opinion/20180406/op-ed-free-speech-takes-another-hit
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/washington-times-opinion-editor-smears-parkland-survivor-brown-shirt-bullying-laura-ingraham/ (they took down the Op-ed after it got attention)

Additionally there were tons of people repeating this line on social media; who knows how many were legit but it was a popular talking point in any news feed that discussed the story so someone was pushing it. No pundit with any sense said that since it's a terrible thing to say (and I doubt many wanted to go down with Ingraham) but when you are percolating in right wing insanity sometimes the truth you say behind closed doors comes out. Also if that line of attack had been more successful, more people would have been repeating it as they are cowards.

Yeah, there are people defending her. She's a popular radio/TV host. I just don't feel the kind of righteous outrage we've seen when other personalities have gotten caught saying stupid poo poo. The way companies are piecemeal leaving her show seems more like, "gently caress this poo poo" rather than "oh poo poo this is bad".

I am continuously amazed people don't monitor their social media statements more carefully. I'm actively trying to troll Sean Hannity into blocking me, but I don't do that on a Twitter account with my real name on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

This but all religion

Not really.

The core part of Protestantism is that you have a Divine Right to a personal interpretation of the scripture.

Most religions don't have this because they were smart enough to realize that it meant people would interpret it to mean whatever matches their desired beliefs with sufficient twisting.

Martin Luther done hosed up with that one.

Xae fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 6, 2018

• Locked thread