Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Solitair posted:

So what does everyone think Doug's worst movie takes are?

Does anime count as movie takes? His Sailor Moon episode where he constantly calls Serena slutty. He then does some bit about child sex laws in Japan, then talks about the time he put her on his Top 10 Hottest Animated Women list and how he didn't know she was 14. He claims about how they were drawn that they looked college aged or "at least high school".

The entire thing was basically jerking off about the transformation sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That whole review was written with the conceit that the show was only popular because fourteen year old Doug jerked off to it and that made it "mature". Sage doesn't like magical girl shows but at least he justifies his dislike for personal reasons and still gives a well thought out explanation for why a show exists and how it found an audience abroad.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That Sailor Moon review was so bad actual articles were written about it due to Doug coming off as a massive sexist. Lewis and JO both publicly called Doug on it (Lewis apparently tried to give Doug a primer on Sailor Moon during a flight or something IIRC).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's basically just a straight dude assuming that all media was clearly made to cater to him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GoneRampant posted:

That Sailor Moon review was so bad actual articles were written about it due to Doug coming off as a massive sexist. Lewis and JO both publicly called Doug on it (Lewis apparently tried to give Doug a primer on Sailor Moon during a flight or something IIRC).

I think I made it like 5 minutes into the Sailor Moon video before cringing so hard I x'd out of it. And that's saying nothing about just how willfully ignorant Doug was about the whole drat thing and clearly did not want to actually do any research on it beyond what he remembered from his childhood. Like, yeah, I watched the show when I was in elementary school too and then maybe saw one episode since then when we did a media day in my high school Japanese language class, but god even I was able to recall more things about the show correctly just going off childhood memory than Doug clearly could.

Like, Chuck Sonneburg has watched watched a lot of anime clearly out of his usual depth for reviewing purposes on SFDebris and usually resorts to just making fun of it for being tiddy garbage when there's nothing of value to say about it, but at least the man does his loving homework...

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

GoneRampant posted:

Found one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Shows like Sailor Moon are definitely sexualized and fetishistic. It's just that they're generally sexualized and fetishistic for the consumption of adolescent girls' developmental fantasies, and then ~40% of that is just Japanese cartoon culture leaning into the sort of go-big-or-go-home aesthetics that don't really have an analogue here.

Like, all the best heroes in anime have over-the-top surrealistic transformation, power-up, attack, and gattai sequences. The Sailor Moon versions is just them taking all the hyper-masculine aesthetics of robots and armors and gooey alien...goo...and converting it all into hyper-feminized sparkly dress-up. This is going to sound so loving rote, but if you're familiar with the language of the medium, you immediately get that these aren't exploitative scenes, but literal empowering ones.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Puppy Time posted:

I don't know if that's THE reason, but it's funny as hell.

Somebody followed up to say that the dildo thing didn't happen at Magfest.

The wording in the document is ambiguous, but I can absolutely imagine Michaud saying "you can't go because Doug had a bad time last year" and it being something he made up, misinterpreted, or projected rather than something Doug actually said or felt himself.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 6, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BrianWilly posted:

Shows like Sailor Moon are definitely sexualized and fetishistic. It's just that they're generally sexualized and fetishistic for the consumption of adolescent girls' developmental fantasies, and then ~40% of that is just Japanese cartoon culture leaning into the sort of go-big-or-go-home aesthetics that don't really have an analogue here.

Like, all the best heroes in anime have over-the-top surrealistic transformation, power-up, attack, and gattai sequences. The Sailor Moon versions is just them taking all the hyper-masculine aesthetics of robots and armors and gooey alien...goo...and converting it all into hyper-feminized sparkly dress-up. This is going to sound so loving rote, but if you're familiar with the language of the medium, you immediately get that these aren't exploitative scenes, but literal empowering ones.

It can't be said enough that it is, in the most literal sense, 'empowering'. Like, yea no poo poo in a medium dominated by dorky males a lot of nuance is lost and there's some problematic stuff and all but yea the magical girl genre in general is literally about taking the common tropes of the genre and inverting it from the hyper-masculine lens into an over the top feminine one. There is literally no difference between Vegeta shouting "BIG BANG ATTACK" before shooting a ball of energy than there is Usagi saying "Moon Prism Power" before doing the same, except one is presented as 'aw yea big tough daddy Vegeta is gonna blow up the evil robots' and the other is cool Usagi blasting the evil greed demon making people buy her evil jewelry.

It's fine to not like the genre, but yea Doug boiling it down to "NGH YEA I JERK OFF TO THAT CHILD" is not just creepy and gross it's also actively ignoring the entire thing he's reviewing because he saw a boob. That will always be the most Doug thing to me.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Internet Critic Discussion Thread 4.0: Doug's Cinnabun Was Frosted With Dragon Cum

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ruh roh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Bwwrs1ZJI

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though Sailor Moon also has the historical twist of being created by a woman who was then shut out from input on the now most well-known version of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Motto posted:

Though Sailor Moon also has the historical twist of being created by a woman who was then shut out from input on the now most well-known version of it.

She did get involved in the reboot from a a couple years back, though, right? That one actually has a really neat looking art style while I thought the old show just looked pretty bog standard for 90s anime.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, largely because of what happened with the 90s show. Unfortunately it was pretty iffy for at least a good bit, but I hear it tightens up significantly after a point.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

I remember Amy. I thought that was download-only title, and it got pulled from the storefront.

Still, that sounds like a it'll a good contender for the Awful Block (although I don't remember if they do that specifically during SGDQ). If it is, then hopefully, you've got some wacky stuff to show off, Dan, because AGDQ 2018's Awful Block is going to be hard to follow up.

I'm kinda hoping I pull Spooky Block if only because the route we've figured out for Amy bypasses a lot of the hilariously bad stuff in the game.

That said, as amazing as AGDQ's awful block was, my Amy run is way better than Animorphs and that dog game that's VOD apparently isn't even on YouTube, maybe?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All I remember from the Sailor Moon manga is that Naoko Takeuchi really wanted to kill off all her characters and the editors always had to talk her out of it. In the end notes you'll find things like, "Sailor Mercury was going to be a cyborg, and this is the part where she was going to be pulled to pieces but my editor cried" or, "I was going to have all the Sailor Scouts die here and end the series but these weenies wanted a happy ending!".

I don't mean this as, like, a value judgement on how the series was treated or anything, I just remembered that the manga author was fuckin bloodthirsty.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YggiDee posted:

All I remember from the Sailor Moon manga is that Naoko Takeuchi really wanted to kill off all her characters and the editors always had to talk her out of it. In the end notes you'll find things like, "Sailor Mercury was going to be a cyborg, and this is the part where she was going to be pulled to pieces but my editor cried" or, "I was going to have all the Sailor Scouts die here and end the series but these weenies wanted a happy ending!".

I don't mean this as, like, a value judgement on how the series was treated or anything, I just remembered that the manga author was fuckin bloodthirsty.

Jesus, Sailor Moon got loving metal when I wasn't looking :black101:

Like, maybe I'm wrong and misremembering it terribly but wasn't that kind of what the deal with the Outer Sailors was supposed to be at one point? Mercury, Mars, Venus and Jupiter were gonna get killed or otherwise sidelined and then Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto were gonna be Sailor Moon's backup team? Only they wussed out on it because the Inner Sailors were so popular that people would riot if it only kinda looked like they were gonna kill one of them off?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 6, 2018

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I remember Pluto died at one point

And I want to say at the endgame of the first season Mercury, Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter all got heroic sacrifices? But they got better?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

YggiDee posted:

I knew Mercury was the best for a reason.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

SgtSteel91 posted:

And I want to say at the endgame of the first season Mercury, Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter all got heroic sacrifices? But they got better?

All of them die, but Serena makes it to the Big Important Thing right as she dies and with her dying wish saves the world but effectively undoes the first season, so Sailor Moon R starts with a short arc of the girls (and Mamoru) re-re-learning who they are and what they did to defeat Queen Beryl, including bits where all the girls who died briefly re-live their own deaths.

Pluto dies in R, but she's basically a time witch from the year 5,000,000AD so adult future Serena reincarnates her in the present so she can go to University, get a physics degree, and hang out with teenagers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Also the last season of both the manga and anime is where Takeuchi gets to finally drench her world in blood.

They get better, again.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

Or she made fun of her editor and this wasn't meant to be read 100% literal and serious

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

FoldableHuman posted:

I'm kinda hoping I pull Spooky Block if only because the route we've figured out for Amy bypasses a lot of the hilariously bad stuff in the game.

That said, as amazing as AGDQ's awful block was, my Amy run is way better than Animorphs and that dog game that's VOD apparently isn't even on YouTube, maybe?

No, the Dog's Life VOD is here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnH8MLlreu0), and Animorphs: Shattered Reality is here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ndyElgXMs). Dog's Life also had SA goon Punchy doing couch commentary (his Silent HIll run was really good, too).

I was more referring to the Superman 64 and Arabian Nights runs. Superman 64 was pretty goofy, but Arabian Nights...well. maybe it's not as impactful if you're not watching it live while following the chat in the GDQ thread, but it's probably one of the funniest things I've seen. Last time I laughed so hard was during the previous year's Awful Block, where they played Batman & Robin and Timecop.

-

Speaking of Sailor Moon, Projared put out a video covering Sailor Moon games recently: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spp2KnGOhCU). Haven't watched it yet, though, but ProJared's stuff is pretty good.

Sailor Moon is one those things I remember watching like one or two episodes a long time ago, like back in 1st grade, when stuff like that and Dragonball Z was on in the afternoon on Cartoon Network. I still remember like a couple of days after I was humming the theme song in class one day, and some girl asked me, "Are you humming the Sailor Moon song" and I panicked and was like, "Uh, no! I wasn't! You're imagining things!"

I sort of wanted to watch it after seeing a clip of the original English dub (the bit where they argue about who gets to play Snow White), but I don't think that dubbing is easily available outside of torrents. I remember getting referred to a link in the ADTRW forum, but for whatever reason, I had some kind of issue with the download not working.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

nine-gear crow posted:

I think I made it like 5 minutes into the Sailor Moon video before cringing so hard I x'd out of it. And that's saying nothing about just how willfully ignorant Doug was about the whole drat thing and clearly did not want to actually do any research on it beyond what he remembered from his childhood.

I tapped out of his Star Trek reviews for the same reason. That and the weird racial jokes(?) about Angry Joe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I tapped out of his Star Trek reviews for the same reason. That and the weird racial jokes(?) about Angry Joe.

I think it was around that time that I found SFDebris and started going through his reviews of the Trek films in order parallel to Doug's and went "holy poo poo, this guy's so much better at this."

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

No, the Dog's Life VOD is here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnH8MLlreu0), and Animorphs: Shattered Reality is here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ndyElgXMs). Dog's Life also had SA goon Punchy doing couch commentary (his Silent HIll run was really good, too).

I was more referring to the Superman 64 and Arabian Nights runs. Superman 64 was pretty goofy, but Arabian Nights...well. maybe it's not as impactful if you're not watching it live while following the chat in the GDQ thread, but it's probably one of the funniest things I've seen. Last time I laughed so hard was during the previous year's Awful Block, where they played Batman & Robin and Timecop.

-

Speaking of Sailor Moon, Projared put out a video covering Sailor Moon games recently: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spp2KnGOhCU). Haven't watched it yet, though, but ProJared's stuff is pretty good.

Sailor Moon is one those things I remember watching like one or two episodes a long time ago, like back in 1st grade, when stuff like that and Dragonball Z was on in the afternoon on Cartoon Network. I still remember like a couple of days after I was humming the theme song in class one day, and some girl asked me, "Are you humming the Sailor Moon song" and I panicked and was like, "Uh, no! I wasn't! You're imagining things!"

I sort of wanted to watch it after seeing a clip of the original English dub (the bit where they argue about who gets to play Snow White), but I don't think that dubbing is easily available outside of torrents. I remember getting referred to a link in the ADTRW forum, but for whatever reason, I had some kind of issue with the download not working.

Superman 64, Arabian Nights, and Enviro Bear were unbeatable, it's true, and until the Dog's Life and Animorphs runs I was feeling like, yeah, Amy doesn't belong with that august crowd. And of all the crappy/weird games I have I don't have any that are on the same level as Arabian Nights. That run, and El Matador a few nights earlier, became my new gold standard for garbage game speedruns. I had my Twitch chat hosting all week, and we were dying during Arabian Nights. It was amazing.

The Dog's Life run was just... eh? The early problems killed a lot of the mood and momentum, but the commentary also leaned so heavily on "in a kid's game?!" that it got a bit exhausting.

That said: the ending did live up to the hype.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The Critic talk about Sailor Moon made me think of his review of A Kid In King Arthur's Court. Where he seemed to think that two of the characters were lesbian lovers. When they were actually sisters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spark That Bled posted:

The Critic talk about Sailor Moon made me think of his review of A Kid In King Arthur's Court. Where he seemed to think that two of the characters were lesbian lovers. When they were actually sisters.

Rapidly Going Deaf › Internet Critic Discussion Thread 4.0: 0 Is Actually Doug's IQ Score

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

GoneRampant posted:

though Brad has taken potshots at CA before (He's still pretty bitter that he never saw a cent from his content being put on League of Super Critics).

As far as I know, CA didn't own League of Super Critics, that was a Maker Studios thing. Lindsey can correct me if I'm wrong, as she was part of that particular clusterfuck too.

I'm kind of disappointed Sage, The Dom and Angry Joe have just remained silent on the whole thing. I mean, none of them owe us their feedback, but none of them need CA at this point either. Especially Angry Joe, who has like twice the subs of CA and this week raised like half a million dollars in a single day.

On a different, but related subject, I've had a thought of how similar Channel Awesome is to the World Wrestling Federation/WWE. No, really, hear me out :

- Both have CEO's that had one good idea and a string of failures. Taking Wrestling national/Creating an aggregate site followed by the World Bodybuilding Federation, The XFL, WWF New York/Barfiesta, Blistered thumbs, that goddamn game show
- Both have (or had) one Golden Boy that must be protected, Doug for CA/Hulk Hogan for WWF (Or, if I'm being generous, John Cena)
- This would make Spoony The Ultimate Warrior or The Iron Sheik
- Neither have many employees, most people who work for them are independent contractors (Though WWE pays theirs, usually)
- Women's division an afterthought for many, many years (WWE got better at it)
- If you get fired on bad terms, they'll do their best to pretend you never existed

Y'all can fight over who is Virgil.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
So far CA hasn't had someone who's murdered their entire family before killing themselves, so they've got that going for them over the WWE.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Doug thinks Speed Racer is a bad movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Why does everyone love this Starship Troopers movie? It’s full of nazis!”

*waves toy gun around wildly while shrieking*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Solitair posted:

So what does everyone think Doug's worst movie takes are?

Not a movie, but it was probably that 'How much diversity is enough?' video he made where basically- this was years ago, so I'm probably forgetting a lot- the discussion was about Scarlet Johansen in the Ghost in the Shell movie and how people in the US were pissed, since that's a movie totally about Japan and they're whitewashing it by having Scar Jo as the Major and then it goes to the point of absurdity where he's asking if they have to get a gay trans woman if Matt and Trey want to keep Mr. Garrison in episodes of South Park. And I'm fairly sure, but not 100% that he might've brought up Gorilla Grodd or Winston from Overwatch and ask if they can't have people voicing them and they have to be voiced by an actual talking gorilla.

Anyway, I found this and it's almost perfect.

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_p6l88lNQqP1rof9cl_480.mp4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

Not a movie, but it was probably that 'How much diversity is enough?' video he made where basically- this was years ago, so I'm probably forgetting a lot- the discussion was about Scarlet Johansen in the Ghost in the Shell movie and how people in the US were pissed, since that's a movie totally about Japan and they're whitewashing it by having Scar Jo as the Major and then it goes to the point of absurdity where he's asking if they have to get a gay trans woman if Matt and Trey want to keep Mr. Garrison in episodes of South Park. And I'm fairly sure, but not 100% that he might've brought up Gorilla Grodd or Winston from Overwatch and ask if they can't have people voicing them and they have to be voiced by an actual talking gorilla.

Anyway, I found this and it's almost perfect.

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_p6l88lNQqP1rof9cl_480.mp4

That is the weirdest loving defense to take with that movie. Especially considering several of the main cast are played by Japanese actors with unchanged character names. Speaking Japanese throughout the film. Scarlet Johanson as Mira "Major" Killian couldn't have been more egregious if they tried. And that's not even including the frankly-awful script.

I will say though, for all the movie's terribleness, Beat Tanaka was loving awesome as Aramaki :allears:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRS4tYeeouA

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

There could be a very interesting movie adapting the original GitS' story about body/mind identity into a story about cultural identity when the diaspora of a culture integrates into another society, but new-GitS sure as hell isn't it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I will say though, for all the movie's terribleness, Beat Tanaka was loving awesome as Aramaki :allears:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRS4tYeeouA

not awesome enough for you to remember his name, apparently :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alaois posted:

not awesome enough for you to remember his name, apparently :v:

gently caress it, wrong Beat :cripes:. Takeshi Kitano.

a medical mystery posted:

There could be a very interesting movie adapting the original GitS' story about body/mind identity into a story about cultural identity when the diaspora of a culture integrates into another society, but new-GitS sure as hell isn't it.

Part of what made Ghost in the Shell interesting is that a full prosthetic body it's not some new fancy prototype; Batou's also a full-body cyborg, and you see all kinds of people dealing with the same thing throughout the series and films. One of the scenes in the original film is just watching the Major traveling through the city, seeing various women in the crowds with identical prosthetic bodies to her own. Even the live-action film dumbs down the body itself, because "ooh she's still human underneath all the cybernetics and and :rolleyes::fh:" rather than just being a brain in a fully-artificial body.

How much of her can Motoko truly say is still human? Is the brain in her head actually her own brain? She's never seen it, she only has the surgeon's words to believe that it really is her brain in her head and not a computer processor that just thinks its human.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Todd has opened One Hit Wonderland/Trainwreckords requests again, for $300 each now but with a much higher cap on the number of people who can request each month.

Additionally, Brad Jones will be making his film DISCO, which was previously only for $20+ backers on Patreon, available to all $2 and above backers soon.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 6, 2018

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

SgtSteel91 posted:

In the Japanese version they all die but Serena, who managed to bring them all back at the end but with no memory of magical girl time (until season 2 starts).

In the American (well, Canadian) TV version (unless they updated it) they were all "captured by the negaverse" and are all freed at the end.

a medical mystery posted:

Altered Carbon occasionally touches on topics in that sphere at least, but they mostly play it off as something everyone's used to.

Alacron posted:

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 4.0: Doug's Cinnabun Was Frosted With Dragon Cum

Given how many times this thread is "about to be rebooted" it should probably be called:

Goodnight Internet Critic Discussion thread 4.0: I'll probably kill you in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

stillvisions posted:

Given how many times this thread is "about to be rebooted"

It's all the same one "about to be rebooted", but the OP is waiting for drama to die down first. :v:

• Locked thread