Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Auspol may - "Don't call me a racist when people don't know what the hell I'm talking about."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank
Greenslopes goon checking in.

I’ve been to Taco Bell three times. I’m not surprised they’re making a lot of money; it’s crazy busy all the time.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-05/home-buyers-borrowing-capacity-to-be-cut-by-35-per-cent/9621696

quote:

Homebuyers' borrowing capacity could be cut by up to 40 per cent under tougher rules

Good article about the benchmarks that banks have to use to assess how a person's income relates to their lifestyle spending habits and therefore how much they can borrow.

If this comes in, either gradually or all at once it will be the shock that many people have been waiting for in the housing market, because suddenly a whole sector of would-be home owners will drop out of the market.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Taco Bell is WAY UP

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Taco Bell is bad, Mexican from a food truck that has had to hone it's craft to draw city workers is good

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 6, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Auspol may - "Don't call me a racist when people don't know what the hell I'm talking about."

Auspol May - pouring billions into the aboriginal industry.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Also the AFP has some good people working in it, like the ones in biosecurity, or in child protection aka priest hunters, but the leadership are essentially the security division of the Liberal party

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
It'll be hilarious when they spend this time and effort just to find it was liked from the minister's tax payer funded phone/tablet/PC.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bernard Keane has a big cry about mean Twitter fake news:

quote:

Twitter users are always ready to attack the press gallery for its political coverage. A lot of that criticism is justified. But much of the time the criticism is because journalists have reported things that don't fit people's preferred narrative. Say something that fits people's political worldview, and it's all retweets, likes and "nailed it!". Say something that doesn't fit what people want, and they're suddenly radical sceptics, refusing to accept any evidence you offer and parsing every syllable to detect your raging bias. The press gallery, people complain, is a herd of sheep mindlessly going in the same direction. Even if it wasn't manifestly untrue, yesterday's silliness illustrates that the herd mentality is as much ingrained in social media users as in any journalist.

Oh boo hoo Bernard, we aren't professional like you.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Hmm yes we will make you save a 40% deposit I nstead of 20%. This is good for bitcoin housing affordability.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why does anyone care about Twitter. Why is it a thing.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Well, you don't post there.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

asio posted:

The Annerley Taco Bell replaced a Sizzlers, which was a replacement of the old Bonanza steak house. This proves that the recurrent cockroaches-in-food problem is from the site being cursed, not the fault of Sizzlers, and losing Bonanza to a Sizzlers to a Taco Bell is both an excellent premise for an indie Australian film and a wider allegory of the Qld Labor party

E: hello fellow one suburb over from annerley goon

Goon meet when

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

"Potemkin village idiot"

Mods pls

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Bernard Keane has a big cry about mean Twitter fake news:

Oh boo hoo Bernard, we aren't professional like you.

to be fair there are a lot of dipshits out who get mad at any reporting of conflict within the labor party because why aren't you reporting on splits in the LNP?! when, uh, there's a tonne of reporting on splits in the LNP

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Starshark posted:

I don't mind Amethyst's posts because they're conveniently cancered and I don't have to read them. It's when ratbag criag or careless whisper post that I get the shits.
Sorry to trigger you.

The 'doesn't agree 100% with everyone = complete oval office' auspol culture kicking in I guess.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

They get to # something and feel like they're doing something.

The armchair computer activists to your armchair table top generals, if you like.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

It allows for direct communication to people in a position of power. It can put the person who writes the article in direct contact with the person who reads the article. It allows politicians to get direct feedback from people without going through a focus group filter. It allows for instant dissemination of bite size pieces of information.

But no, hurr twittersphere of swjs am i rite

DancingShade posted:

They get to # something and feel like they're doing something.

The armchair computer activists to your armchair table top generals, if you like.

If you want an incredibly shallow and crap reading of it sure.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard posted:

It allows for direct communication to people in a position of power. It can put the person who writes the article in direct contact with the person who reads the article. It allows politicians to get direct feedback from people without going through a focus group filter. It allows for instant dissemination of bite size pieces of information.

But no, hurr twittersphere of swjs am i rite

Wow sorry Elon it was just a question

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-05/home-buyers-borrowing-capacity-to-be-cut-by-35-per-cent/9621696

Good article about the benchmarks that banks have to use to assess how a person's income relates to their lifestyle spending habits and therefore how much they can borrow.

If this comes in, either gradually or all at once it will be the shock that many people have been waiting for in the housing market, because suddenly a whole sector of would-be home owners will drop out of the market.

Dont worry I should be signing a contract in the next two weeks or so to trigger the market collapse at my expense.

For the price of a 2 bed unit in Melbourne I could get a 4 bedroom house down the street from my sister in Tassie... I'd have to live in Tasmania though - you get the actual nbn at least.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Graic Gabtar posted:

Sorry to trigger you.

The 'doesn't agree 100% with everyone = complete oval office' auspol culture kicking in I guess.

plenty of people in auspol don't agree with me 100% (I will fite Don Donginton irl) and they aren't complete cunts

You're just a complete oval office.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BBJoey posted:

to be fair there are a lot of dipshits out who get mad at any reporting of conflict within the labor party because why aren't you reporting on splits in the LNP?! when, uh, there's a tonne of reporting on splits in the LNP

Yeah but his article has the whole tone of being mad that he can't coopt Twitter and hates having to beg for status on a platform that will never respect him just because he reports from Canberra. Twitter will ignore his narrative and make up its own bullshit which he can't ignore but has no say over it, mob mentality or not. And slowly but surely the clever politicians are utilizing Twitter and cutting out the middleman, which makes him even more mad since all he can then do is report on twitter.

@murpharoo has promised there will be more podcast, indirectly confirming my hunch that she's been avoiding the whole thing for the last few months.

edit: and Keane finishes his dummy spit with:

quote:

We're capable of protecting ourselves better. And if you want something to be true, that's all the more reason to be sceptical of it. But we're not. Wanting to believe something is true is apparently too hard for people to overcome on social media.

This is why I'm done with Twitter. I'll continue to use it to support greyhound adoption and spruik my articles. I might even drop the occasional narky comment. But it's such a vast pool of stupidity and gullibility that interacting with it, or prolonged exposure to it, is toxic. Life is too short.

And nothing of value was lost.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 6, 2018

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm done with twitter. Except I'm not.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

GoldStandardConure posted:

plenty of people in auspol don't agree with me 100% (I will fite Don Donginton irl) and they aren't complete cunts

Wow, let's hope we never agree on anything. I wouldn't want the shock of me not being a complete oval office encourage you to open a vein or something.

Okay, I've responded to Starshark's barb. Back to UBI etc.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I thought Graic was dead tbh, he's been gone that long

woe, where have all the great right wing trolls gone.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Is there a single Brisgoon who lives north of the river? Seeing a trend.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

tithin posted:

I thought Graic was dead tbh, he's been gone that long

woe, where have all the great right wing trolls gone.
I read (pretty much) all of auspol's poo poo posts.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

woe

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Graic Gabtar posted:

I don't I just post independently of whatever is happening then head back to YouTube

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
It's a hard row to hoe reading the whining discussion in auspol month after month, but it's worth the grind for a different weltanschauung.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Zenithe posted:

Is there a single Brisgoon who lives north of the river? Seeing a trend.

No, because north of the river is a desolate wasteland of garbage.

Much like literally everything south of Parramatta Rd.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

JBP posted:

I don't I just post independently of whatever is happening then head back to YouTube
TF2 streamers? It's TF2 streamers isn't it?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It’s too long to be a thread title but these were the best two sentences from the article

quote:

In a controversial interview with Sky News, the One Nation leader also said she considered herself "Indigenous" because she was born in Australia.

"I've got nothing against the Aboriginals but I'm sick and tired of being made to feel as if I'm a second-class citizen in my own country," she said.

Sappy Fingers
Jun 16, 2006

vlc owns sorry wrongs

Anidav posted:

I live right next to the taco bell

I work extremely close to there

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Graic Gabtar posted:

Wow, let's hope we never agree on anything. I wouldn't want the shock of me not being a complete oval office encourage you to open a vein or something.

Okay, I've responded to Starshark's barb. Back to UBI etc.

even if we agreed on things, you'd still be a oval office

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

even if we agreed on things, you'd still be a oval office
Right back at ya oval office.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I'm gonna punch u rite in ur lungs

And you're little bird too.

Also, there is a Scottish Indian restaurant in the outer suburbs of Perth now that sells munchie boxes. Tartan Spice. Bit of a trek, but if you managed to get ahold of a sizable quantity of Bucky and feel the need then well it's there.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

fiery_valkyrie posted:

"I've got nothing against the Aboriginals but I'm sick and tired of being made to feel as if I'm a second-class citizen in my own country," she said.

I don't get this world view. People like Pauline feels persecuted by Aboriginals somehow. I have literally never seen an Aboriginal persecuting a white person except, and this is a stupid exception, for calling them a white dawg whilst drunk, and they also called the other Aboriginals black dawgs so it's hardly persecution as it is being very drunk and disorderly.

I'll ask racists how they're being persecuted. Or those idiots who endlessly complain about transgender people forcing their kids to become women to point to one instance of someone actually saying or doing that and they can't. It's some persecution complex driven to insane levels and I just don't get the point.

Someone explain it to me? How does listening to a didgeridoo in Australia make her feel like a second-class citizen? Or is she just upset that she gets told to shut her idiot face when she says racist things?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
V I C T I M C O M P L E X.

These people tend to be toxic narcissists who can't possibly fathom the idea of someone else's poo poo mattering more than theirs, and that extends to persecution and disadvantage.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What's the saying?

When you're privileged, equality feels like persecution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Konomex posted:

Someone explain it to me? How does listening to a didgeridoo in Australia make her feel like a second-class citizen? Or is she just upset that she gets told to shut her idiot face when she says racist things?

What others above have said, plus crabs in a bucket mentality is a big part of it, at least where I'm originally from (Perth) - "I didn't get any special treatment, so why should indigenous people/women/whoever get special treatment?" Often heard in relation to boosted ATAR scores, forms that ask if you're ATSI, employment quotas, any kind of "levelling the playing field" measures. Totally lacks self-awareness, but duh. Also misses the distinction between equality and equity.

• Locked thread