Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

StrixNebulosa posted:

What are the current best sci-fi/fantasy review blogs to read, outside of tor.com?

Find reviewers on goodreads you like and follow those. As a side note do not follow reviews of authors you like, it will ruin your faith in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ubiquitus posted:

Hey Children of Time buddy! I'd like to echo your thoughts on the book, I'm around the same spot somewhere.

I cant help but feel the plot is disconnected so far, anything not directly related to Kern's world has felt underwhelming. Its almost as if the author couldn't disassociate his spider perspective from the rest of the characters, and wrote them all in fragments of that same thought process.

I agree with the premise being interesting enough to keep with the book

I'm about 60% through and had some of the same feelings. For the moment, it feels like a depressing generation ship tale happening parallel to a cool space spider story.

I definitely like how the spiders are portrayed in comparison to Deepness in the Sky, the other famous space spider novel. It seems like the author put more creativity into coming up with ways for an up-jumped spider to view their world.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

What are the current best sci-fi/fantasy review blogs to read, outside of tor.com?

I generally like James Nicoll's reviews.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
StoryBundle has a World SF bundle up. Anything terribly worthwhile there?

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

StrixNebulosa posted:

Strange Horizons turns up some pretty insightful criticism and isn't afraid to hold stuff to a decent standard. If you've ever wanted to see authors like Mark Lawrence and Jeff Vandermeer* get all pissy at genuinely well-thought out but negative reviews of other folks' books, it's a good place.

* He's normally a pretty chill and thoughtful dude in his writing and critiques about other authors so to see this was surprising and disappointing.

darthbob88 posted:

The Cassandra Khaw book is goofy fun. Like dresden files but good, spends half the time in the kitchens of back alley chinese restaurants. The cannibalism is described viscerally but, uh, lovingly. Made me want sizzling beef and such.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Servant of the Underworld is a whodunit in the Aztec Empire. Sounds fun, but it reads like the author spent all her effort on getting the details right and forgot to make it fun. I found it very stiff, very mechanical.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Secret History of Moscow is poo poo. Bland, boring UF. Russian folklore bits are kinda cool but it never goes anywhere interesting with it.

e: I mean, I can see why Lavie Tidhar would love it - guy's a master of ruining potentially fantastic concepts.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 5, 2018

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

File 770 posts some interesting stuff, mostly various sorts of news and interviews you might not catch elsewhere.

quote:

I liked the short stories Aliette de Bodard set in the same universe, I'm interested in reading the novel. Zen Cho is also a pretty interesting new writer. I also wanted the Apex collections just to experiment with new stuff.

Sharma
Nov 4, 2012

Just finished up with Excession. Fantastic read. Loved all the ship mind banter. Which one should I get into next? I'm thinking Surface Detail or The Hydrogen Sonata. Suggestions?

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

Sharma posted:

Just finished up with Excession. Fantastic read. Loved all the ship mind banter. Which one should I get into next? I'm thinking Surface Detail or The Hydrogen Sonata. Suggestions?

Even if you're not a publication order purist, I think Hydrogen Sonata should definitely come last. It's his final culture book, and near his final book overall before Banks died of cancer.

I think, as a book about Subliming, it strongly benefits from that context.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Siminu posted:

Even if you're not a publication order purist, I think Hydrogen Sonata should definitely come last. It's his final culture book, and near his final book overall before Banks died of cancer.

I think, as a book about Subliming, it strongly benefits from that context.

I get the reasoning, but I read THS before Surface Detail and one in the series that I still haven’t read. It stands alone and nothing was spoiled. You still get the context of when he wrote it.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sharma posted:

Have you already read Look to Windward? That’s probably the strongest book in the series and most of it is written from alien points of view.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

pmchem posted:

I get the reasoning, but I read THS before Surface Detail and one in the series that I still haven’t read. It stands alone and nothing was spoiled. You still get the context of when he wrote it.

I'm a big softie, I guess. I got value from reaching the end of a long running series and having the final novel match up with and comment on real world themes and events. It felt like a hopeful farewell.

You're right though. Ain't no spoilers, and the context is easy to grasp. The Culture books do pretty well out of order.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Looking through my amazon account and it seems that last year I purchased The Fith Ward: First Watch & Kings of the Wyld: The Band.

I really don't remember buying these and for some reason they were never delivered to my kindle. Question is are they any good or trashy books to read on a plane?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I liked em, but cop procedurals in a fantasy world are just my jam.

Kings of the Wyld I sort of remember... I think it was something like a mercenary band gets back together because the daughter of the leader is in some kinda merc trouble? I don't remember much of it, but I remember it having some good bits in there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Stupid Decisions posted:

Looking through my amazon account and it seems that last year I purchased The Fith Ward: First Watch & Kings of the Wyld: The Band.

I really don't remember buying these and for some reason they were never delivered to my kindle. Question is are they any good or trashy books to read on a plane?

I really enjoyed the former. There is a considerable amount of positive buzz around the latter.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kings of the Wyld is a whole lot of fun.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Kings of the Wyld is decent. Some parts were a bit dad-jokey, maybe, I think? It was a while ago. The gimmick is that adventuring bands are basically like actual bands.

On a plane? Yeah, definitely give it a go.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
On to the reading list they go! Thanks for the info.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://ebookclub.tor.com/

Murderbot is the free book for this month.

Technically All Systems Red, but I like the Murderbot title better.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
People should unironically read Murderbot, people who praise it aren't being ironic or anything, it really is good.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Kings of the Wyld is decent. Some parts were a bit dad-jokey, maybe, I think? It was a while ago. The gimmick is that adventuring bands are basically like actual bands.

On a plane? Yeah, definitely give it a go.

Please don’t embed your kindle in a skull a few rows ahead when someone makes a ‘The cake is a lie’ joke; its a fun book but there’s a few spots where an editor could have been more unkind. I said it was Robert Asprin does his best Joe Abercrombie (or maybe vice versa ) and I stand by it :o:

Edit: Bankschat; anyone read the nonfic ‘Masters of Modern Science Fiction Book’ about his work?

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 6, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

90s Cringe Rock posted:

People should unironically read Murderbot, people who praise it aren't being ironic or anything, it really is good.

Do it....do it!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

90s Cringe Rock posted:

For free!

https://twitter.com/tordotcom/status/982247771599065088

Can’t argue with that price (can argue about the regular price)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah grab it now while it's free because the ebook is undeniably overpriced the rest of the year.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I liked em, but cop procedurals in a fantasy world are just my jam.

Kings of the Wyld I sort of remember... I think it was something like a mercenary band gets back together because the daughter of the leader is in some kinda merc trouble? I don't remember much of it, but I remember it having some good bits in there.

Also a little dad-jokey in parts, but for a fantasy procedural you might try Dian Duane's Stealing the Elf King's Roses. It's a little dad-jokey in spots, but it's good and has an interesting setting: a multiverse with gates leading between them. There's Actual Midgard, the home of the elves, a modern-ish world with magic mixed in with technology (and the actual presence of Justice appears in courtrooms). I liked it. It's a shame she had her big, setting changing idea for the first book in the setting, so there aren't likely to be more, but it's a good read.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I finished reading the Cyphernomicon FAQ this morning.
It was a hyper-difficult read, and I was so very happy when the last 7% of the Cyphernomicon FAQ turned out to be appendixes.

Bonus: I found out where the one cool idea* in Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon came from.

To sum up the difficulty of reading the Cyphernomicon completely,
in it's original state the Cyphernomicon FAQ is a 1.1MB text file with no formatting.
The Cyphernomicon FAQ itself was a "best-of" summary of the Cypherphunk Mailing list as of 1994-09-01. The Cypherphunks mailing list lasted from september 1992 to december 1998, and yearly
dumps of the mailing list(with most of the spam messages weeded out) range in size from 2mb to 30+mb text files. Yes, TEXT files again. TEXT files with zero formatting.

The Cyphernomicon FAQ had many, many catchphrases and pages beyond count of strung together phrases + past/future/present-day/what-if theory-crafting that really resembled this GIF.

* the people who have read Cryptonomicon should recognize this 18.10.3. Personal security for disks, dead man switches + I have heard that some
BBS operators install dead man switches near the doors to rooms containing their systems…entering the room without flipping the switch causes some action to be taken

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
but, why?

and you know you can't skip the appendices, they're where you find out half the backstory of the characters

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah grab it now while it's free because the ebook is undeniably overpriced the rest of the year.

It's £2.22 in the UK and branded a 'Kindle Single' which seems about right. The sequels are all listed at £8 though, gently caress that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

It's £2.22 in the UK and branded a 'Kindle Single' which seems about right. The sequels are all listed at £8 though, gently caress that.

Are they all novellas, or are the new ones actually novel length?

If novellas, yeah that's expensive and I'll unfortunately need to wait a few months after they're released before the price drops to a point where it makes sense.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Are they all novellas, or are the new ones actually novel length?

If novellas, yeah that's expensive and I'll unfortunately need to wait a few months after they're released before the price drops to a point where it makes sense.

160 pages apparently, but I guess pre release data can be wrong. The release schedule doesn't point towards them being door stoppers though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Oh that's not too bad. I remember a while back I bought a bunch of highly-recommended Tor novellas (on US Amazon), and all of them were $4 or $5 which is entirely reasonable, but Murderbot/All Systems Red was definitely $10.70 which sounded insane. Now it's also $4 though I have no idea when it changed. I honestly think the higher price might have been an oversight on Tor's part or something, they've always really pushed the Kindle Singles and their novellas in general as a really well-priced intro to the author's work.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Fallom posted:

I definitely like how the spiders are portrayed in comparison to Deepness in the Sky, the other famous space spider novel. It seems like the author put more creativity into coming up with ways for an up-jumped spider to view their world.

Significant difference though, the critters in Deepness are aliens with an arachnoid body plan, the ones in Children of Time are actual giant loving spiders.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Groke posted:

Significant difference though, the critters in Deepness are aliens with an arachnoid body plan, the ones in Children of Time are actual giant loving spiders.

And in deepness weren't the alien scenes all interpretations from the MRI-brain-hosed human analysts?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
yes. the autistic analysts were explicitly projecting human trappings onto the nature of the interactions - this is commented on pretty clearly a couple of times. one might say it's a crutch if we're being uncharitable and that vinge can't write aliens - his fire upon the deep ones aren't very alien in nature - but i think it's convincing in deepness taken alone.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Neurosis posted:

yes. the autistic analysts were explicitly projecting human trappings onto the nature of the interactions - this is commented on pretty clearly a couple of times. one might say it's a crutch if we're being uncharitable and that vinge can't write aliens - his fire upon the deep ones aren't very alien in nature - but i think it's convincing in deepness taken alone.

And there's the bit near the end where you get unfiltered human perceptions of spider-world.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
The act of writing fiction is all built around the idea of "human experience." There's a reason both authors use "crutches" to write their alien POVs. Vinge does his "human filter" thing, while Tchaikovsky has the "character" (Portia? I can't remember the name) coming back generation after generation. That is a "crutch" as well, but without either of these crutches you'd end up breaking fiction conventions really hard and probably creating an unreadable story.

Any time you do really weird aliens, if you show from their POV you will need some form of crutch to make it readable. You can have humans there and show the aliens through their POV. I can't remember exactly how Mieville did it in Embassytown, but I think you only saw those aliens through the human POV.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Neurosis posted:

gently caress of, dog bros are cool aliums

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

The act of writing fiction is all built around the idea of "human experience." There's a reason both authors use "crutches" to write their alien POVs. Vinge does his "human filter" thing, while Tchaikovsky has the "character" (Portia? I can't remember the name) coming back generation after generation. That is a "crutch" as well, but without either of these crutches you'd end up breaking fiction conventions really hard and probably creating an unreadable story.

Any time you do really weird aliens, if you show from their POV you will need some form of crutch to make it readable. You can have humans there and show the aliens through their POV. I can't remember exactly how Mieville did it in Embassytown, but I think you only saw those aliens through the human POV.

I'm just shy of halfway through Embassytown and yeah, so far a lot of the aliens' "alienness" is conveyed through how incomprehensible their communication can be to humans. I do feel like there's another shoe that has yet to drop though.

Also I am super digging Embassytown. I love when sci-fi writers tackle linguistics in an interesting way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Even Asher who is great at doing alien biology, puts a depressingly human POV on his aliens and ais.