Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Tae posted:

The people that like 12 here are louder and more aggressive

I like 12, but I'd recommend trying 15 because it is newer and shinier and I have not played it and really should try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Both 12 and 15 are good.

They are very different games though so it depends on what you're into. If you like action RPGs then FFXV is pretty cool, although don't expect very deep gameplay if you're used to Platinum or Fromsoft's standards. XV is also very pretty but it's going to tax your GPU: I have a GTX 1080 and it manages to stay around ~70fps at 1080p provided I don't turn any of the fancy nVidia middleware on (hair, foliage etc).

XII is, eh, perhaps not as engaging. I liked it a lot and then I jumped into XV and it doesn't hold up nearly as well all of a sudden. But from a gameplay standpoint it's pretty fun; you set up a tactical program for your party, so you don't have to mash X through trash mobs but you do have to make adjustments from time to time to adapt to the particular enemies that you are facing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bloom posted:

Actually difficult FF fights for someone going in blind: Wiegraf, Yunalesca and...?

Dorter Slums

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

FFXV has a playable demo on steam so you might as well give that a shot. You can see how it runs for you and also gauge your interest in the game before making a purchase.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

BleiddWhitefalcon posted:

I'm deciding whether to pick up 12 or 15 for the PC to break in a new rig I'm getting. What's the general consensus on which game is better and has the better PC port?

15 has a pc demo, if that would help you decide. The core gameplay doesn't change significantly from what's in there. It's the better game, but I haven't touched the 12 port.

e: hahahaha

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

They’re both great games with great ports, though 15 is kind of a beast to run. I like 15 he best personally, 12 is very divisive but I had a lot of fun with it too.

Buy every final fantasy on steam imo.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Same, but only the double digit ones

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Buy 10-2 and 15.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Having not played any FF games ion a while, the last one being FF6 on mobile, FFXV feels more like witcher 3 than a final fantasy game. I'm not sure if this a good thing or not. I'm only like 3 hours in.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That's a very strange comparison. Would you mind explaining?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Slider posted:

Having not played any FF games ion a while, the last one being FF6 on mobile, FFXV feels more like witcher 3 than a final fantasy game. I'm not sure if this a good thing or not. I'm only like 3 hours in.

I’m really confused by this comparison. FF15 oozes final fantasy, for better or worse.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FF 15 released their dlc line-up for this winter into next year. Episode Ardynne, Aranaea, Luna, Noctis.

For some reason, it's listed as Episode 1 Arydnne, Episode Aranea, Episode 2 Luna, Episode 3 Noctics.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Slider's right; Noctis complaining about beans is lifted wholesale from the Blood and Wine DLC of Witcher 3, when Geralt whines about beans to Yennefer.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
gently caress YES ARANEA. GOD YES THEY LISTENED

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hype as I am for Aranea I am waaaay more excited about Episode Luna.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Cool as this is it would be nice if some of this stuff was integrated into the main story somehow instead of just being a canned scenario where you start off with a pre-set level and inventory.

(also can I have a pony)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/982276716684079104?s=19

Squenix does weird promotions.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Sapozhnik posted:

Cool as this is it would be nice if some of this stuff was integrated into the main story somehow instead of just being a canned scenario where you start off with a pre-set level and inventory.

(also can I have a pony)

Apparently from what I remember hearing Episode Ardyn will be integrated in the main game, and that they wanted to steer away from instanced stuff like Comrades or the other Episodes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

rip episode demon hunter iris

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Lucas Archer posted:

I’m really confused by this comparison. FF15 oozes final fantasy, for better or worse.

Dunno just feels like an open world action rpg, theres no classic atb, doesn't appear to be classes, stuff like that. I haven't really played any modern ff games, I'm an old man.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Slider posted:

Dunno just feels like an open world action rpg, theres no classic atb, doesn't appear to be classes, stuff like that. I haven't really played any modern ff games, I'm an old man.

Starting with FF13, they started taking cues from Western game design. So because Call of Duty was eating their lunch, 13 is a boring corridor shoote-...RPG. 14 is much closer to WoW than FF XI (in gameplay). Etcetera.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Actually my pony wish is not even mainline integration. I just want them to sit down, breathe, and actually think things through before rushing in to execute.

Episode Ignis was fun and had nice aesthetics and all that, let down ever so slightly by the fact that it made absolutely no goddamn sense. It was just some weird third-act fever dream. If it had been scripted coherently then it would have been amazing, and it's kind of frustrating when an otherwise well put together piece of content is let down by problems that are easily avoided. I guess VA availability timetables are painful when you're releasing in five different languages, so they probably had to get everything storyboarded out and nailed down in the first week of production or something like that.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

I'm deciding whether to pick up 12 or 15 for the PC to break in a new rig I'm getting. What's the general consensus on which game is better and has the better PC port?

I like 12 better but 15 is a great technical showpiece if you have a high end system.

Slider posted:

While they started taking in more feedback after 13 and 14, FFXV made feedback and play testing a cornerstone of the game's development and marketing campaign. It takes a lot after successful Western RPGs (open world, vehicles, post launch support, etc.) I'm not sure who asked Final Fantasy to have Assassin's Creed style trailing missions but here we are.

I'm expecting FF16 to go full Destiny/The Division style loot and shoot RPG.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
FF16 is just Fortnite with more microtransactions.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Also apparently Comrades is getting some big updates, which is quite cool I think. Comrades is actually pretty fun. I like the changes they made to the battle system, it makes things a lot more aggressive and tense, even if the enemies are massive HP sponges it's still pretty good. If you just pretend the sky is always pitch black then it's a decent substitute for a missing World of Ruin chapter. Hey maybe they'll even let us free-roam around the demon-infested wilderness in a future update.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wouldn't Episode Noctis just be the whole game again?

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Wouldn't Episode Noctis just be the whole game again?

That would be hilarious.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Luna and Noctis' episodes comprise some kind of (another) alt-ending.

quote:

The concept for the new content is to realize “a future everyone longed for.” The theme is an “alternate grand finale” where “our heroes will challenge their fates in order to realize the ideal future they envisioned.”
Episode I: Ardyn “The Conflict of the Sage” (Working Title) (Winter 2019) – This story portrays the struggles of Ardyn. Witness the resentment he harbored towards Lucis for over 2,000 years, and his clashes with the Astrals.

Episode Side Story: Aranea “The Beginning of the End” (Working Title) (Spring 2019) – A side-story about the Starscourge depicted from the Niflheim’s perspective. The final day of the Empire turns out to be Aranea’s worst day.

Episode II: Lunafreya “The Choice of Freedom” (Working Title) (Spring 2019) – This story’s about Luna’s fate, which not even death can free her from. Her battle to save the one she loves overturns the destiny dealt to the Lucian King.

Episode III: Noctis “The Final Strike” (Working Title) (Spring 2019) – Parting ways with the Astrals, Noctis embarks upon his final battle in order to attain the ideal future for all his people.

e: I guess people responded well to Episode Ignis' hint at a super mega happy ending.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

rip episode demon hunter iris

Foolishly, I was kinda looking forward to seeing some of this in Comrades.

Sapozhnik posted:

Also apparently Comrades is getting some big updates, which is quite cool I think

let my beefy barbie take his shirt off, please

aegof fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 6, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Motto posted:

e: I guess people responded well to Episode Ignis' hint at a super mega happy ending.
I'm a little torn on this because FF15's ending was one of the stronger points about it I feel.

OTOH Super Saiyan Ignis really did own a lot.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Raxivace posted:

I'm a little torn on this because FF15's ending was one of the stronger points about it I feel.

OTOH Super Saiyan Ignis really did own a lot.

I think that Episode Ignis' alt ending only works as a contrast to the regular ending. If it was the only ending, it definitely wouldn't have been satisfying.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

gologle is just being gologle, FF15-PC is fantastically optimized. You could probably easily run it at around 60fps on a gtx770 on average settings--on a 1060, it runs at 40-50fps on max settings (non 4k) with all the HairFX and poo poo turned on, solid 60fps on high with some very minor exceptions.

He's right about the crazy memory leak though, but that can be partially remedied by extending your system's vram.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I literally said it was optimized for PC in that same post you SE shill. Back to your desktop lair, munching on your S-E Goya Cheetos, hoping against hope that S-E will revive Aya Brea and make her even skimpier.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
re: ending

I think the alternate from Episode Ignis works as a standalone, but it requires having played the rest of the game and seen the rest of the cinematics to understand the progression. It would've worked as the ending itself, provided they gave Noct a way out after destroying Ardyn forever. "The prophecy can only foretell as far as the Lucii existed," etc etc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gologle posted:

I literally said it was optimized for PC in that same post you SE shill. Back to your desktop lair, munching on your S-E Goya Cheetos, hoping against hope that S-E will revive Aya Brea and make her even skimpier.

:yikes:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean, every boss fight in FF3DS is pretty punishing without prior knowledge. Hein, Garuda, the entire final dungeon...

The game really hypes up Hein but he wasn't that tough.

The hardest fight in 3DS for me was Salamander. If he does two Fire Breaths in a row, your entire party is dead, end of story. And god forbid he attacks the same person twice and maybe crits once.

Monk is the best class because you just Retaliate all fight and thus have Defend permanently up + a decent chance of doing amazing damage.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Gologle posted:

gently caress YES ARANEA. GOD YES THEY LISTENED

Yeeeeeeeeeesssss

Now just make her a (semi)-permanent party member, which they've said they want to do with at least Aranea and Cor, and S-E can have all of the Monezzee.

I'm also legitimately curious what kind of combat system Adryn and Luna will have.

mauman fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 7, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

mauman posted:

I'm also legitimately curious what kind of combat system Adryn and Luna will have.
Dunno about Luna, but an easy guess for Ardyn would be something similar to Armiger Unleashed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In a perfect world Ardyn would be able to capture monsters like pokemon and then equip them as move sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Was going to skip FF15, but after hearing about the story improvements in this thread decided to give it a go with PC version.

Watched Kingsglaive first as recommended. Movie was better than expected, still trash but was fun trash and had lots of eyecandy for fans of FF14 and FF6-style aesthetics. Wasn't expecting Lunafreya to be the most competent and badass character. Too bad they decided she was too badass to live in the game, not looking forward to seeing her get killed right away. :rant: Movie's definitely best watched with someone else who knows Final Fantasy stuff. We were joking that during the scene where the General kills the King, the reason he just stands there in a ~cool pose~ afterwards is because he's going through the victory screen in his head, getting loads of exp for that sweet King Lucis boss kill. After watching the movie, we immediately started the game up. Was a neat transition from movie to game, got us both pretty hyped.

Anyway, looking forward to playing the game. Hope Noctis is smarter than his Dad.

Is recommended DLC order still:

ImpAtom posted:

Gladio: When he leaves the party for a bit.
Ignis: During the big battle in watertown, probably after you finish it.
Prompto: When he leaves the party for a bit.
?