Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's what they're called. google totaku and these figurines are all you'll find

Oh it's actually a brand name. I thought it was just some weeb word for video games dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Quote-Unquote posted:

Oh it's actually a brand name. I thought it was just some weeb word for video games dolls.

The time I asked a gamestop employee about it I just asked for the fake playstation amiibos

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Telltale Take:

My girlfriend really likes these sort of games as she lacks the video game coordination to move and shoot. We have not tried Batman or Borderlands.

So far we've played:

Wolf Among Us: Loved it. Probably the best of the bunch.

Walking Dead: First season was good, second was okay, third was meh.

Game of Thrones: Garbage, turned it off 15 minutes in. We don't watch the show but the game was $8 so why not try it.

Guardians of the Galaxy: loving garbage. Turned it off 15 minutes in.

Similarly:

Until Dawn: Probably the king of "the genre" so to speak. We had an absolute blast trying our best to keep everyone alive.

Life is Strange: Both games were really good.

What Remains of Edith Finch: Like loving Tim Burton on mushrooms

Firewatch: This was really poignant and and gripping.

A Way Out: So far so good, it's nice to have an actual couch co-op that's not a Nintendo game.

Gone Home: Pretty good, captivated us for about two hours. Would recommend but only if you really love this genre.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The drop in quality from Until Dawn to Hidden Agenda is tragic. It's worse in every way. I don't know what lovely rear end engine they used but it can't render properly on the PS4 for poo poo.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Borderlands is a loving blast, don't let the brand name push you away and give it a try as soon as you can.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Samuringa posted:

Borderlands is a loving blast, don't let the brand name push you away and give it a try as soon as you can.

I've heard nothing but good things about it. I played all of the first Borderlands game but never bought the subsequent games. I really only play these narrative driven walking sims during the winter with the lady, and I'm not sure how well she'd attach herself to the Borderlands world.

She's loving Skyrim Vr though. We've got it on easy and she really enjoys dungeon crawling. She gets a little antsy during combat but as a stealth archer dark elf she does fairly well. I threw a bunch of points into destruction magic so if she wanted to panic and kill everything she can just whip out her fire fists.

Actually, the VR has a poo poo load of games that she's really gotten into. It's been great. She'll spend an hour or two in the PSVR and I'll play Splatoon 2 or RL on Switch.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
The latest batman is easily up there with the best of Telltale games, get on that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

The latest batman is easily up there with the best of Telltale games, get on that.

Absolutely.

Good call immediately dropping GoT. It sucked.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Telltale Borderlands is disgustingly good. It has no right to be as good as it is and Telltale finally took the training wheels off and went silly like they used to with Sam and Max for it. The "lobby shootout" scene is one of the most inventive scenes I've ever seen from a game in the cinematic story genre.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The drop in quality from Until Dawn to Hidden Agenda is tragic. It's worse in every way. I don't know what lovely rear end engine they used but it can't render properly on the PS4 for poo poo.

After beating it once and fiddling around with the multiplayer mode a little, I have to imagine it's a budget thing. All the environments are so tiny and everything's done with extreme close-ups to hide that fact, like it's some lovely direct-to-video thing you'd find in the bottom of Netflix. It's kind of sad because I can see how if this were given the same love and attention as Until Dawn it could have been a really interesting thing, like the basic story beats I thought were alright and if it were expanded upon it might have been a better take on the David Cage crime thriller but as is it's a roughly 2 hour long student film with mild object finding mini-games and phone-controlled swipe QTEs with input lag.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Huh? I have a pro and it looks great to me. Also I enjoyed the game but I've only played it with friends and we had a blast. I'm betting it's awful single player.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

codenameFANGIO posted:

It is an amiibo-sized figurine and base that does not have a chip of any kind and costs about $10. They made a bunch of Playstation ones like Bloodborne Dude, Crash Bandicoot, and Parappa The Rapper. I am going to buy a bunch of them

I heard Aloy is coming soon too hell yeah

They are dumb stupid things with no intrinsic value and I will beat senseless anyone who gets between me and a Parappa The Rapper :toughguy:.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Huh? I have a pro and it looks great to me. Also I enjoyed the game but I've only played it with friends and we had a blast. I'm betting it's awful single player.

I played it on my PS4 Amateur and the pop in is the worst I've ever seen in a game.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Am I the only one that liked Telltale Game of Thrones? I mean it wasn't incredible but as someone that really likes the show it was okay. I liked the Game of Thronesyness of everything going to poo poo constantly. Didn't love the way the story went with the trees but I'd still play a second season.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Quote-Unquote posted:

What's the difference?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Am I the only one that liked Telltale Game of Thrones? I mean it wasn't incredible but as someone that really likes the show it was okay. I liked the Game of Thronesyness of everything going to poo poo constantly. Didn't love the way the story went with the trees but I'd still play a second season.

It looked and ran extremely bad tho

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

It's pretty tragic. They clearly got their budget cut massively and I'm guessing that Until Dawn did not offer much in the way of ROI. I also think leaning into the phone based party game was the wrong move. It should have been an option but there should have also been a more traditional Until Dawn style method of controls, but uh, I'm guessing with the shoestring budget that was never possible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Heavy Metal posted:

Also a big fan of that Thief game, high five! It hit the spot for me. And of course Metal Gear fan, though I'm more interested in the tactical espionage ones.

Thief wasn't a Thief game, but I loving loved it as a larceny sim. Watching Garret's lovingly animated hands steal everything in sight was satisfying as all hell.

I need to try a proper ghost run. Knocking everyone out is a thug's game.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

It looked and ran extremely bad tho
It did but don't they all?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Telltale is basically FarSight Studios but big ip adventure games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

It's pretty tragic. They clearly got their budget cut massively and I'm guessing that Until Dawn did not offer much in the way of ROI. I also think leaning into the phone based party game was the wrong move. It should have been an option but there should have also been a more traditional Until Dawn style method of controls, but uh, I'm guessing with the shoestring budget that was never possible.

They switched from making 1 game to making several games at once at that point, which they don't seem to be able to handle. After Until Dawn they did 3 games more or less at the same time- Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (good), Tumble VR (decent but very small-scale), and Hidden Agenda (bad). After that they did 2 more VR games in parallel, one of which was meh (Inpatient) and one of which was buggy garbage (Bravo Team).

I hope they get it together, their good games are really good.

I'm pretty sure their engine is a version of Guerilla's earlier not-quite-Decima platform.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 6, 2018

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

They were working on Until Dawn for a looooong time (I heard about it waaay before it was announced), I can see how it turning out so well would embolden them to take more development risks. It's just unfortunate they didn't really turn out well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Until dawn was patched together from the remains of a failed ps3 game iirc

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Until Dawn used to be a lot of different games, like it was a first person Move game first and then it became a PS3 version of what we got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppmjf8rAOyg

There's quite a few videos out on YouTube of the beta PS3 version, it's pretty interesting to see how it changed from PS3 to PS4.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't think Hidden Agenda is "bad" it's just really really low budget and janky. Oh and the interface method is weak. Uh....well maybe it is bad, but it's not "bad bad".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just give me Until Dawn 2, I'll play a new schlocky teen horror game every year.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

Just give me Until Dawn 2, I'll play a new schlocky teen horror game every year.

Yeah this. I didn't honestly mind the shift in genre but everything else was pretty dire. It'd be cool to get different horror genre sequels, like a sci-fi horror for one game and maybe a zombie one next. Okay maybe not a zombie one. But there's plenty of rich horror veins for mining.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Final Destination premise would be excellent for this kind of game since you are effectively choosing who lives and who dies anyway.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't think Hidden Agenda is "bad" it's just really really low budget and janky. Oh and the interface method is weak. Uh....well maybe it is bad, but it's not "bad bad".

Its like a law and order episode but i cant ignore it and browse my phone like usual

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Healbot posted:

No, it's part of the console decal and super ugly, Guillermus has to be legally blind.

It's ok dear goon.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No actually its hideous sorry

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DrNutt posted:

Yeah this. I didn't honestly mind the shift in genre but everything else was pretty dire. It'd be cool to get different horror genre sequels, like a sci-fi horror for one game and maybe a zombie one next. Okay maybe not a zombie one. But there's plenty of rich horror veins for mining.

I mean, even a zombie one would be fine - the whole 'teens trapped in a zombie movie', where the zombies are legitimate threats and near-unstoppable, would be a fine vein, as long as you're not unstoppable badasses with guns, or melodramatic like Walking Dead.

homeless snail posted:

No actually its hideous sorry

okay there

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

It's kind of impressive how the developers of Until Dawn managed to piss away the good reputation they got after the game turned out to do surprisingly well by making a VR rail shooter, some bad VR horror game and some low budget phone controlled poo poo. Why didn't they just announce until dawn 2 and make that?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Telltale opinions: Walking Dead 1 was good, Walking Dead 2 was ok but fell apart by the end, Wolf Among Us was good, GoT sucked.

I’m seeing a lot of praise for Batman S2, would I enjoy it if I couldn’t finish season 1 because I was so insanely bored by it?

it just felt very limited story wise. like where every conversation option is a variation on some generic poo poo Batman would say that I’ve heard him say 100x before, I couldn’t be bothered to engage with the character at all. is 2 more interesting or is it more of 1?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

It's kind of impressive how the developers of Until Dawn managed to piss away the good reputation they got after the game turned out to do surprisingly well by making a VR rail shooter, some bad VR horror game and some low budget phone controlled poo poo. Why didn't they just announce until dawn 2 and make that?

The VR rail shooter was pretty drat good, not sure why it would hurt their reputation. Didn't play the other ones

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

codenameFANGIO posted:

The time I asked a gamestop employee about it I just asked for the fake playstation amiibos

The first baby steps on the road to referring to all videogames as "nintendos".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhMkT03g6K6/?utm_source=ig_embed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mandrel posted:

Telltale opinions: Walking Dead 1 was good, Walking Dead 2 was ok but fell apart by the end, Wolf Among Us was good, GoT sucked.

I’m seeing a lot of praise for Batman S2, would I enjoy it if I couldn’t finish season 1 because I was so insanely bored by it?

it just felt very limited story wise. like where every conversation option is a variation on some generic poo poo Batman would say that I’ve heard him say 100x before, I couldn’t be bothered to engage with the character at all. is 2 more interesting or is it more of 1?

2 is literally bruce and joker being crime boyfriends, it owns

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

hell yeah

also spyro will run on ue4 https://twitter.com/UnrealEngine/status/982251645781164039

not sure what this entails but people seem to like it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hot take: most telltale games are good fun and you should play the Batman ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

revolther posted:

I'm just curious if there was anything more sinister than, "we're gonna have fun with you". It's not really a sexual threat, and thugs could easily say it to Adam West in the scope of stupid poo poo said in Batman.

Bitch is in pretty poor taste for Batman canon, but I guess it's all in a more mature universe than the 90s cartoons now.

They've kind of let the whole Batman universe get out of control.
It wasn't so much the dialogue itself as that it cycled over and over and over again. I don't mind cursing or coarse language in video games or movies, but when it's nonstop then it's like hanging out with a ten-year-old who wants to sound tough.

Edit: This was why I loathed Dragon Age-Origins. It was an ok game, but whether by design or bug, my character kept shouting the same battle cry every time I started a fight. "It's either going to be you or me, and it's not going to be me!" x 500