Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Well if you think about it it would probably take a lot of loving beers to get a 1200-1500 pound horse drunk just by weight in the first place, and yes any animal that eats a lot of grass as part of its diet produces a lot of alcohol dehydrogenase to detoxify naturally occurring products of fermentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What if you gave them a bottle of whiskey? Would that be enough? That’s still grains, just distilled grains.

If ruminants naturally ferment their food before they return it to their mouths as cud, is it even possible for them to get drunk?

Science demands an answer to these questions.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

“Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses” seems inefficient then if the horses won’t get buzzed off the beer.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Enfys posted:

We already have several evidence-based, clinically trialed alternatives, which makes the insistence on AA particularly unhelpful.

There are two other medications that work particularly well in combination aside from disulfiram. Naltrexone is an opiate antagonist that blocks the receptors which respond to alcohol, so you feel nothing (no pleasure or buzz) when drinking. Alcamprosate is similar but reduces cravings for alcohol and helps reduce withdrawal symptoms. Much easier to address the root cause of drinking if you no longer desire to drink and feel no pleasure if you do.

I stopped drinking with naltrexone, after racking up tens of thousands in bar tabs and other unwise drunken purchases over a decade. It’s amazingly effective. And nobody ever wants to hear about it because they don’t think anything will work except learning how to resist cravings.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

crazypeltast52 posted:

“Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses” seems inefficient then if the horses won’t get buzzed off the beer.

Have you ever listened to those lyrics? My redneck nephews used to love that song, but it's straight up vigilant justice followed by a trip to the bar.

Willie...no.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Have you ever listened to those lyrics? My redneck nephews used to love that song, but it's straight up vigilant justice followed by a trip to the bar.

Willie...no.

The music video is um, not much better.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Enfys posted:

A lot of people don't even know medications exist or that there are other options besides insisting alcoholics flagellate themselves into recovery in a cult-like atmosphere that refuses to release any information on relapse or recovery rates. AA is often seen as morally superior (despite the lack of evidence of long term success for a meaningful number of participants), probably because in general a lot of people want to punish addicts more than rehabilitate them.

Yeah my former boss was in AA and like all his friends were people he met in AA. When one of them would fall off the wagon they would talk about them like they had passed away. No wonder they fail so often - they're literally told one drink is as bad as bingeing, so if they do slip up and drink, they decide "gently caress it" and binge.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Considering the number of alcoholics who are that way due to self-medicating from personality or mood disorders, the all-or-nothing approach is especially harmful.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Abstinence is easy; temperance is hard.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Abstinence is easy

Especially for the kind of people that post on this forum! :v:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Especially for the kind of people that post on this forum! :v:

I almost wish I was an incel on nights like the last one, where my newborn wakes me up pretty much every hour...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Vasectomy is an insanely GWM move

Downside is you have to smell your own balls getting burnt shut

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Vasectomy is an insanely GWM move

Downside is you have to smell your own balls getting burnt shut

You went to the wrong doctor

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any medical conditions that make vasectomies not count as elective?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any medical conditions that make vasectomies not count as elective?

Many insurance providers will cover them because they are much, MUCH cheaper than children.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cacafuego posted:

You went to the wrong doctor

Lmao "Doctor"

Veterinarians or ideally vet techs will do it for a fraction of the cost

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lmao "Doctor"

Veterinarians or ideally vet techs will do it for a fraction of the cost

Look at Kramer over here.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Nocheez posted:

Many insurance providers will cover them because they are much, MUCH cheaper than children.

This. Ditto for tubal ligation, which, in spite of being more invasive and requiring general anesthetic, is actually performed more frequently than vasectomies. I guess a lot of guys are just wusses when it comes to stuff involving their balls.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
The biggest barrier to tubal ligation or vasectomy is finding a doctor willing to do it. If you're young most won't touch it. Even if you have multiple kids already.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Both partners report that they enjoy sex less after vasectomy and women who are told that men have had vasectomies will rate them as less attractive on average, when rating images of men.

I get why people don't want em, even for reasons other than having your balls cut open.

Some people genuinely believe you don't get testosterone anymore, too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

epenthesis posted:

I stopped drinking with naltrexone, after racking up tens of thousands in bar tabs and other unwise drunken purchases over a decade. It’s amazingly effective. And nobody ever wants to hear about it because they don’t think anything will work except learning how to resist cravings.

The problem I hear with naltrexone is that opioid medication is no longer effective since it blocks the receptors so if you need major dental work or get in a severe injury it could be an issue.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Raldikuk posted:

The biggest barrier to tubal ligation or vasectomy is finding a doctor willing to do it. If you're young most won't touch it. Even if you have multiple kids already.

I didn't have any problem getting mine, and asked the urologist specifically if they had people in their twenties getting them. He said half his patients were under 35 and kids weren't a factor, just sign the release form and schedule the surgery. His department snipped about 7 [pairs of] balls each day.

It's really not bad, probably no worse than what women have to deal with getting a pelvic exam, and it only takes 20 minutes.

A 20 minute procedure to never worry about accidentally getting someone pregnant seems GWM to me.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Which is cool and all, but unless this is some hip new slang the kids are using, I don't want to know what 30 loving bananas a day does to your digestive system. That's a fuckload of bananas. It's...well, it's bananas.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Which is cool and all, but unless this is some hip new slang the kids are using, I don't want to know what 30 loving bananas a day does to your digestive system. That's a fuckload of bananas. It's...well, it's bananas.

Probably depends on which end of your digestive tract they are going into.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Vegan YouTube is a deep hole of bullshit, here's a good article about it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Panfilo posted:

This. Ditto for tubal ligation, which, in spite of being more invasive and requiring general anesthetic, is actually performed more frequently than vasectomies. I guess a lot of guys are just wusses when it comes to stuff involving their balls.

Couple friends of mine had two kids intentionally, a third unexpectedly (go figure, I'd expect that people in their 30s would know how that poo poo works, but anyway), and decided that was that. Husband is a *giant wuss* about surgery, so the wife goes and gets an IUD.

At some point, she starts getting some pain, so goes in to get things checked out. Doc says "Um...I don't see the strings. Let's get you an x-ray." Turns out the IUD had perforated her uterus and gone walkabout in her abdominal cavity. They had to do real surgery and collect it where it had migrated down around her anus.

Husband ended up getting a vasectomy after that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

an actual dog posted:

And this is a perfect example of why allowing any idiot with a phone or computer access to "express themselves" on a potentially world-wide stage was a huge mistake.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

an actual dog posted:

Vegan YouTube Bullshit caused a bunch of holes a few nights ago.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:vince:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

lol I don't think that lady was a part of this crowd but it's tru

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

an actual dog posted:

Recent events are making a lot more sense.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

I'm the random #kyliejenner

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Phanatic posted:

Couple friends of mine had two kids intentionally, a third unexpectedly (go figure, I'd expect that people in their 30s would know how that poo poo works, but anyway), and decided that was that. Husband is a *giant wuss* about surgery, so the wife goes and gets an IUD.

At some point, she starts getting some pain, so goes in to get things checked out. Doc says "Um...I don't see the strings. Let's get you an x-ray." Turns out the IUD had perforated her uterus and gone walkabout in her abdominal cavity. They had to do real surgery and collect it where it had migrated down around her anus.

Husband ended up getting a vasectomy after that.

Wow, I'm surprised the wife didn't send that IUD on a walkabout through her husband's balls after that ordeal.

Seriously it isn't that bad. You lay back and crack testicle jokes with the urologist for 20 minutes then get to take 3 days off work with a convenient excuse for why you can't lift anything heavy for 3 days.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Vasectomies are GWM. BWM is paying to get one reversed. But hey ladies, I'm marginally fertile. call me

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Krispy Wafer posted:

Vasectomies are GWM. BWM is paying to get one reversed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmGgV-2JNnM

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Vasectomies are even BetterWM if you get Tricare to cover it.

Thank you taxpayers.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

... but over time we're gonna reach a point where a DUI = instant death penalty unless someone pumps the brakes a bit.

Yeah, so?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

BonerGhost posted:

Vasectomies are even BetterWM if you get Tricare to cover it.

Thank you taxpayers.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grab your kit, this fix needs to be mainlined:

$20,000+ Owed On Amex Platinum next week, what are my options (if any)?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8ad94m/20000_owed_on_amex_platinum_next_week_what_are_my/

quote:

Hello, I have over $20K in Debt on my Amex Platinum. This is a charge card that I've only had for 2 months, and unfortunately after a year and a half of NEVER missing any payments on my other card and building my credit up to over 740, I screwed up.

I got really excited when my earnings went from $250 a month at the start of last year to suddenly making $100K+ in 3 months at 19. So what does one do? Blow their money on all the luxurious items and services you could think of. Thankfully I moved to a cheaper country in the first place to AVOID situations just like this... I used to think logically and watched Dave Ramsey all the time and loved learning about managing wealth. I always paid my CC off on time every month and only used it for small purchases to build credit.

With the Platinum arriving, I used it responsibly the first month and understood what a "charge card" means. The second month I went a little crazy and even so, everything was fine paying off the debt as I had collateral. Then the crypto markets took a dip (which I was expecting) but it hit harder than I was prepared for. Suddenly $70K was wiped out in a weekend... exponential factors. Then I was FORCED to sell my crypto holdings to pay off my other credit card. I went from almost purchasing a new sports car to being $30K+ in debt in a matter of a month. The only hard assets I have are just clothes/accessories which I know depreciated HEAVILY.. (stupid, I know). I do have my watch which could probably pay off half the debt, but it's not enough to pay it off in full. All my online assets are making me money, but my paychecks don't come in until way after the payment dates for both my cards.

I'll most likely be able to figure out all my debt and pay it off within the next 60 days. I switched companies I was consulting with and decided to get away from investing, more towards lower-risk income. I CANNOT borrow this kind of money from any friends/family, no one I know would be able to afford this. I tried applying for a credit-consolidation loan but my credit dropped heavily after maxing out the other credit card last payment. I mean.. I made the payment, but unfortunately the debt hit hard on there. I went negative on my own bank account and got hit with fees.

I've only had the Platinum for 3 months. I know there's possibly an option of closing the card down.. but that would screw me in the eyes of Amex, which at one point or another later this year would almost certainly be necessary for a quick loan. Over the past few months, the most responsible credit uses were buying crypto and then reselling for higher values (regardless of the value, even if it dropped 10% in a day you could still make 10-15% profit). I also know that would destroy my credit and any possibility of new cards this year would be gone. Alright, so that's worst case scenario which if it boils down to it.. I'll go for it. But I've got around $30,000 total debt which 2/3 need to be paid in less than a week. Is there a way I can just miss the first payment on AMEX and call them to alert them? I feel stupid about the whole situation, embarrassed really. I mean I might be forced to sell equity in one of the companies I'm in at a cheap rate just to pay this off, where I know a few months from now it'll be extremely painful to watch the prices. But this debt is so crushing that I can't sleep anymore at night and I'm stressed to the point where my work is being effected. Downwards spiral lol.. I know it's not the end of the world, and these are extremely valuable lessons that'll be reflected upon for years to come.. but currently it's difficult to think logically when my mind is so clouded.

:zaurg: