Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Statistically, half of people are wrong, actually.

Not necessarily, that would be true if we were talking about the median intelligence :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Statistically, half of people are wrong, actually.

And we know which half RoboRodent is in :smuggo:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Also she's a loving garbage idiot for her immediate reaction to a gift she didn't like was to just have a god drat mental breakdown

Like they were at a nice romantic dinner and he's apparently usually a good boyfriend, it's not the same as the whole Simpsons thing, her immediate screeching and running out of the restaurant in response to a gift she dislikes despite being told it's a joke is weird

Not to mention she just starts loving screaming at him and insulting him for his gift, even a gift she doesn't like, makes her a plain lovely person

I think, maybe, theres more to this story that we know. She wouldnt act like a crazy person for no reason at all, this suggests to me a long standing pattern of emotional abuse by the boyfriend and this was just the tipping point for her. The poor GF should probably start documenting his abuses and get in touch with the authorities, if she hasnt already.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
On the one hand she appears to be a spoiled ingrate. On the other, he's a man. Therefore: murder.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Could I get a comment link, I'm curious what the response was and Reddit search isn't turning anything up

Oddly enough searching r/r for "Simpsons joke" returns no results at all :iiam:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's the simpsons, I haven't even seen that episode and I'm pretty sure if you've spent like ten years in America you're at least aware of it through cultural osmosis. Pretty rough joke to play on a recently defrosted cavewoman from an 80s fish-out-of-water comedy though

I mean, I haven't heard it. I don't like the Simpsons. It sounds like something that must have been very specific. From context, I assume it's the thing where your spouse gets you a gift tht's really just for you but taken to a ridiculous extreme? That's a thing without referencing the Simpsons.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

My (31f) husband (37m) of 3 years bought me a bowling ball for my bday (I guess its a Simpsons joke). I was so mad, I didn't realize it was a set up for a very thoughtful gift. Now we are both not speaking, what do I do?

Many people don't enjoy being pranked, hosed with, or having their expectations undermined. In general I would say like, play with people's emotions at your peril, pranksters.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

loquacius posted:

Could I get a comment link, I'm curious what the response was and Reddit search isn't turning anything up

if you put site:reddit.com and then paste in the title you can find it. she's defensive as all hell in the comments lmao

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

loquacius posted:

Reddit rips into her, she makes a handful of snotty rebuttals then peaces, the usual
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/85cddw/my_31f_husband_37m_of_3_years_bought_me_a_bowling/

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

I mean, I haven't heard it. I don't like the Simpsons. It sounds like something that must have been very specific. From context, I assume it's the thing where your spouse gets you a gift tht's really just for you but taken to a ridiculous extreme? That's a thing without referencing the Simpsons.

it's an episode where Homer gets Marge a bowling ball that he wanted for her birthday. I watched the episode and am aware of the concept of a "Simpsons gift" but I don't think I would have caught the reference right away

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yes, it is this exact joke about the phenomenon of boob husband gives thoughtless gift, taken to absurd extreme. You got it and you never even met the guy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hellblazer187 posted:

All those stupid tests they make you take in school came back and said I'm super smart. My life is a loving wasteland, so I think probably those tests were wrong and actually I'm stupid because a smart person wouldn't have my poo poo life. Made me feel good when I got the printouts to bring home though.

Because none of those tests ever look for emotional intelligence. I.e. the useful form of intelligence.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
The part that got me was the he specifically said it was her first present and it was in the middle of a fancy dinner date. It feels pretty obvious whether or not she got the reference that it was meant to be a joke before a grand reveal.

That not even a full loving vacation is enough to make her get over the offense of receiving a gag gift is really telling.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the people who crow about their emotional intelligence are exactly as right about themselves and their place in the world as the guys who crow about their IQ

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

it was a season 1 episode where Marge almost cheats on Homer

to my memory Prime Simpsons (meaning seasons 1-8) has one Marge-almost-cheats episode, two Homer-almost-cheats episodes, and like six Homer-and-Marge-almost-get-a-divorce episodes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don’t flip out over a bad gift, it’s just a gift. I’ve gotten some bad fuckibg gifts and I dont care.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

So I'm going to put some words in the mouth of the parties to see if that helps explain my distaste for pranks

Dude: "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if your husband was a garbage idiot that didn't know how to give gifts, like seriously thought you wanted a bowling ball, but this is your husband and you're married and you can look forward to this kind of poo poo for the rest of your life"

Lady: "no, that would suck, this is unpleasant and not what I wanted to imagine on the rare birthday where you could actually be here"

Dude: "Well I wanted to impress you by how funny I am while also kinda subtly implying that you should be grateful that I'm not that idiot and instead kiss my rear end for being the guy who bought you a trip to Hawaii, you see how much better that is than a bowling ball?"

Like that's one step above the PUA *points to door* bullshit

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

The part that got me was the he specifically said it was her first present and it was in the middle of a fancy dinner date. It feels pretty obvious whether or not she got the reference that it was meant to be a joke before a grand reveal.

That not even a full loving vacation is enough to make her get over the offense of receiving a gag gift is really telling.

she seems to know she was wrong in the post (see: "rightly offended"; the part where she blames it on the wine) but chooses to believe that offense was less grievous than the giving of a joke gift, probably for pride reasons

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

girl pants posted:

i think he's trying to prove some point by posting extremely bad opinions using social justice-y language

Yeah, I figured.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's an accurate statement. Crazy is a catchall for "this person thinks differently than I do" and it's the most overused and meaningless thing. And, much like calling a post fake, it tends to nuke all other conversation and turns it into a whether you think the person is or is not crazy debate, which is a circular and pretty worthless debate to have.

The reference point in question is one of the few things this thread has unilaterally agreed on being 'crazy.' There is nothing sane about those rambling blog posts. You normally put more effort in than this, dude.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

She doesn’t mention him belonging to a bowling league, which is the only thing that could make the gift *not* seem like a very droll, absurdist joke

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

my dad routinely gives out actual Homer bowling ball grade gifts with no joke or actually good present forthcoming, it'll be, like, a secondhand book on his interests or his politics that we'd chew an arm off to escape having to sit through but has been on his Amazon wishlist for a while. We say thanks and put them on a shelf and never read them, because we're not histrionic infants

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Theophany posted:

Yeah, I figured.

The reference point in question is one of the few things this thread has unilaterally agreed on being 'crazy.' There is nothing sane about those rambling blog posts. You normally put more effort in than this, dude.

I'm not trolling you by having a different opinion, please get over yourself.

It's fine if people unilaterally agree that someone is a witch, that doesn't make it so. The 'crazy' label stops all examination of whether the person had valid complaints and to what extent they were legitimate. I think that's mega unfortunate. Referring to the Youtube shooter, it would be cool to see more discussion around that person's motives without dismissing them as crazy, given that many people shared her grievances while not employing her methods. :shrug:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So I'm going to put some words in the mouth of the parties to see if that helps explain my distaste for pranks

Dude: "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if your husband was a garbage idiot that didn't know how to give gifts, like seriously thought you wanted a bowling ball, but this is your husband and you're married and you can look forward to this kind of poo poo for the rest of your life"

Lady: "no, that would suck, this is unpleasant and not what I wanted to imagine on the rare birthday where you could actually be here"

Dude: "Well I wanted to impress you by how funny I am while also kinda subtly implying that you should be grateful that I'm not that idiot and instead kiss my rear end for being the guy who bought you a trip to Hawaii, you see how much better that is than a bowling ball?"

he told her in advance that it was only the first present and that's after he bought her a new dress and took her out to a fancy romantic restaurant, which in a lot of people's books would already be a great series of birthday gifts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I agree, ugh gross. Agreeing with Ham.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ArbitraryC posted:

he told her in advance that it was only the first present and that's after he bought her a new dress and took her out to a fancy romantic restaurant, which in a lot of people's books would already be a great series of birthday gifts.

It's cool to take really special moments, like someone's birthday, where they are happy and enjoying themselves, and dangle horrible possibilities in front of them.

"What if her husband was really an idiot?" It's the best time for her to start considering that thing, during that nice evening. It's a great time for a prank.

He could have gone with "I have cancer" and then when she started crying been like "Actually, I don't, and aren't you happy - now you'll appreciate the days with me even more!"

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

hmmmm yes, somehow when you describe a completely different situation things seem different, how about that????

Oh no, wait, what actually happened is that he already gave her an expensive gift, had taken her out for an expensive dinner, and made it very clear that the gag gift was the first of several, then she started screaming and insulting him over it, you loving idiot

She's garbage and you're a retard

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just try to give a good gift. If you get a bad gift, accept it with grace.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pick posted:

Just try to give a good gift. If you get a bad gift, accept it with grace.

a trip to Hawaii is a pretty good gift

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ah yes, telling someone who loves you that you are going to die and telling someone that one of the many birthday gifts they are receiving kind of sucks, the same thing according to local forums idiot Ham Sandwiches

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

hmmmm yes, somehow when you describe a completely different situation things seem different, how about that????

Oh no, wait, what actually happened is that he already gave her an expensive gift, had taken her out for an expensive dinner, and made it very clear that the gag gift was the first of several, then she started screaming and insulting him over it, you loving idiot

She's garbage and you're a retard

Yeah like he upset her to the point that she went from enjoying herself to being visibly angry and venting that anger. That's not a show. On her birthday this lady got angry to the point of getting enraged during the nice dinner and subsequently acting on it. You seem to assume it was unwarranted, I'm looking at it from the perspective of - this person got to that point on their birthday, clearly it sucked for them, and presumably they should been allowed to enjoy birthday.

So the clever joke undermined her enjoyment of the dinner and made her question her relationship with her husband. I'd say: prank well done! This had a great outcome for both parties and I'm glad he's such a good jokester that he can read the room so well to deliver such comedy that enhances things for both parties.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
My husband (27M) of 2 years refuses to add me (26F) on social media.

quote:

submitted 4 days ago * by cornydogqueen

My husband and i have been married a little over 2 years. He made a new facebook account shortly before we got married, he was locked out of his old one. I sent him a friend request for his new account, and 2+ years later he still hasnt responded to it.

When I first questioned him about it, he said he never gets on and that he hadnt even seen it. That seemed like a reasonable excuse, especially since i don't spend much time on mine either.

A few months go by, i notice he still hasnt accepted my request. I ask him about it again, and he shrugs it off, not really giving me an answer. At this point im not sure how to proceed..i mean on one hand it feels silly to get upset over it, because at the end of the day its just facebook. But on the other hand..im his wife, his partner...wouldnt that be one of the first people you add on social media? Especially since hes friends with his brother, his cousin, his grandma..

But he is also friends with a TON of women. Out of about 2000 friends, i would say 95% are girls. I only recognize a few. I tried to talk to him about this as well, and he says there "aren't that many girls" and asked "why does it even matter?"

This is all concerning because in the past, before we got married, i have caught him messaging girls on facebook. When i caught him he said he was doing it because he was bored, and he apologized profusely and promised it wouldnt happen again. Now im feeling stupid for believing him.

Im not sure how to handle this now. I have no evidence of him messaging girls, but i have a feeling he very well could be. I know he has been spending more time on FB because he often tells me about things he reads on there. So....what to do?

Tl;dr my husband wont accept my friend request on facebook, but he is friends with a lot of women. He has been caught messaging women in the past, but as of now i have no evidence that he is. Advice?

Edit: thank you to everyone who has responded. Im going to see if he responds to a fake account. I will update if/when something happens!

i'm going to f5 this lady's account until she updates

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If you're a dick about getting presents, even bad ones, you will eventually 'win' because the people around you will just stop bothering to try to do nice things for you, so they will never misguidedly attempt doing a suboptimally nice thing for you ever again

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's cool to take really special moments, like someone's birthday, where they are happy and enjoying themselves, and dangle horrible possibilities in front of them.

"What if her husband was really an idiot?" It's the best time for her to start considering that thing, during that nice evening. It's a great time for a prank.

He could have gone with "I have cancer" and then when she started crying been like "Actually, I don't, and aren't you happy - now you'll appreciate the days with me even more!"

Right but that's not really how it would have gone down with any non spoiled brat. He already clearly put a lot of thought and effort into her birthday and she already knew another gift was coming. She didn't get the reference so the joke fell flat, but he immediately explained anyways and if she had just been a normal person rather than going from 0 to verbal abuse in a split second, she could have gone "oh I guess that is kind of funny" and they could have moved on to the real gift.

It wasn't like he was negging her or something, it was a joke gift they both could have laughed at because he had a real one waiting already and even told her so before the gag.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah like he upset her to the point that she went from enjoying herself to being visibly angry and venting that anger. That's not a show. On her birthday this lady got angry to the point of getting enraged during the nice dinner and subsequently acting on it. You seem to assume it was unwarranted, I'm looking at it from the perspective of - this person got to that point on their birthday, clearly it sucked for them, and presumably they should been allowed to enjoy birthday.

So the clever joke undermined her enjoyment of the dinner and made her question her relationship with her husband. I'd say: prank well done! This had a great outcome for both parties and I'm glad he's such a good jokester that he can read the room so well to deliver such comedy that enhances things for both parties.

I know I'm the idiot for responding to a Ham Sandwiches contrarian post, but

she blamed it on the wine, dude. She's basically admitting herself that it was not warranted. The only reason she was still mad at time of posting was that she had managed to convince herself that giving a gag gift is worse than yelling at someone in public while they're trying to do something nice for you

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

If you're a dick about getting presents, even bad ones, you will eventually 'win' because the people around you will just stop bothering to try to do nice things for you, so they will never misguidedly attempt doing a suboptimally nice thing for you ever again

i'm not trying to say this lady isn't a trash garbage idiot because she is, but i would rather get no gift than a gift that indicates that the giver doesn't have the slightest clue about me or what i would like.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hugh! You’ve realized it, at last!

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If you're such a loving infantile retard that you get violently angry because someone gives you a gag gift along with a bunch of other non gag gifts, that is not the fault of anyone else

Like, no, if you are that much of a loving whiny idiot, I hate you by default and am glad your birthday and relationship are ruined

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

girl pants posted:

i'm not trying to say this lady isn't a trash garbage idiot because she is, but i would rather get no gift than a gift that indicates that the giver doesn't have the slightest clue about me or what i would like.

Give nice gifts, treat gifts like they’re nice even if they aren’t. Gifting isn’t hard and it weirds me out it gives people issues.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

girl pants posted:

He already got her a bunch of poo poo, though

Like he got her an expensive new dress and took her out for an expensive dinner, at the point that you are complaining about also getting a harmless gag gift on top of a bunch of other nice things, you can gently caress yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ArbitraryC posted:

Right but that's not really how it would have gone down with any non spoiled brat. He already clearly put a lot of thought and effort into her birthday and she already knew another gift was coming. She didn't get the reference so the joke fell flat, but he immediately explained anyways and if she had just been a normal person rather than going from 0 to verbal abuse in a split second, she could have gone "oh I guess that is kind of funny" and they could have moved on to the real gift.

I look at it as "She got so offended that she went all the way from enjoying herself to having a bad time on her birthday, and no matter how ridiculous you think that is, most people don't enjoy being pissed off on their birthday."

If some people really don't like pranks or being screwed with, that's the way they are. This lady clearly did not appreciate it. So, this was something the dude chose to do, it screwed up the evening for both people, it was monstrously dumb, and it was completely due to his decision to do it.

If something really is a deal breaker for someone, like farting in an intimate moment or something, and that moment is truly gone / vibe is truly dead, then that's not something you can wave a wand and recapture. I suspect that lady was angry because she went from enjoying herself to being angry / disappointed and ending up in a fight on her birthday, which most people would describe as a bad time.