Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the main problem with 2-in-1s is they're a terrible concept with a poo poo implementation and there is literally no way to make them not suck rear end for reliability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Celexi posted:

You also watch alex jones videos and watch RT?

no, but there’s a funny microsoft thing in the video

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

infernal machines posted:

the main problem with 2-in-1s is they're a terrible concept with a poo poo implementation and there is literally no way to make them not suck rear end for reliability

marketing: it’s the best of both worlds

reality: that idiot coworker who touches your screen when pointing can now move stuff around

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

PleasureKevin posted:

but how did you find that video?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Microsoft cloud based active directory had an outage at noon CET. for my windows only based office this meant nothing worked at all

it also highlighted just how bad teams are. in outlook your emails and calendar are all cached and you can read them. teams straight up won’t allow you to view anything. no files, I previous chats no nothing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's why teams is good. outlook is a trashfire and 99% of that is because PSTs suck rear end.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

boss also came by my desk to ask what I was working on. I could tell her what I had just finished, but couldn’t start anything new as all the tasks are kept in a digital Kansan board inside teams, which I couldn’t access

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i didn't know teams had task boards. is it stuff linked in from Jira or something?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shaggar posted:

i didn't know teams had task boards. is it stuff linked in from Jira or something?

Yes. They are pushing Planner (simple kanban), Trello, Jira (cloud), and Asana integrations

IDK where SF and workday integrations are. Might not really bring anything to the table as an integration would be little more than sso and some very generic event hooks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Potato Salad posted:

Yes. They are pushing Planner (simple kanban), Trello, Jira (cloud), and Asana integrations

is that why theyre is cool again??

pram
Jun 10, 2001
most unPleasureable

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PleasureKevin posted:

narrator: "there wasn't"

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Bulgakov posted:

theory: the best thing microsoft ever made was monster truck madness 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nigtf2NVNH4

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

the other problem with the 2-in-1s is they only go up to like 16GB memory lol

that seems to be most computers these days though

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
aren't mobile chipsets limited to 16GB?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the previous xps 15 (9560, not-2-in-1) goes up to 32GB of memory

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I have no clue if this is Microsoft's fault but we have one specific customer whose emails lock up Outlook 2010 for like 30 seconds at a time, every time it tries to display one.

It's so bad I have a separate folder that their emails get auto-filed into, so I don't interrupt what I was doing if I accidentally land on one. :argh:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Entirely 100% Microsoft's fault. In 2010. But in 2018 it's your fault for not having upgraded.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why and how are you still on 2010?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we just upgraded to windows 7 and outlook 2010 less than two years ago. lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

jammyozzy posted:

I have no clue if this is Microsoft's fault but we have one specific customer whose emails lock up Outlook 2010 for like 30 seconds at a time, every time it tries to display one.

It's so bad I have a separate folder that their emails get auto-filed into, so I don't interrupt what I was doing if I accidentally land on one. :argh:

The tech stack you're looking at troubleshooting is called "mapi." Upgrading to 2013 by itself won't necessarily resolve your problems.

Consider going to O365, it sounds like y'all don't have time to do email infra upgrades. Or security. CALs are expensive, and you may find that O365 subscriptions will save you handfuls of money and time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
outlook 2010 will gladly poo poo itself sideways on office 365 too, especially when dealing with increased latency from a cloud connected server as opposed to on premises

hope you like app hangs literally every time you switch folders

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it should be a crime for other software to integrate with microsoft office

that is usually the reason for staying on ancient insecure office and windows versions, some retarded dependency caused by expensive proprietary business software

or the company is too cheap to have a software assurance license, i guess

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OldAlias posted:

marketing: it’s the best of both worlds

reality: that idiot coworker who touches your screen when pointing can now move stuff around

this happens with our touchscreen dells

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I'm not in IT at all, I'm just the user so I have no idea why we're still using Office 2010. Probably because we paid for it 8 years ago and we spend enough on CAD licenses each year there's not enough to spend on O365 or whatever.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 7, 2018

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my employer is finally switching from office 2010 to O365 and i'm really looking forward to the fun and exciting new ways all the awful already-broken macro garbage will ruin my day, every day

is skype for business for professionals for workgroups pro 3.1 for business just as bad as lync "16 colors" 2010 because that program makes me want to eat a bullet

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my employer is finally switching from office 2010 to O365 and i'm really looking forward to the fun and exciting new ways all the awful already-broken macro garbage will ruin my day, every day

is skype for business for professionals for workgroups pro 3.1 for business just as bad as lync "16 colors" 2010 because that program makes me want to eat a bullet

skype is pretty lovely in all of its iterations

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

skype for business is just lync renamed

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

skype for business is just lync renamed

its not even a great reskin and somewhere along the way they removed the ability to play sounds for focused conversatios so sometimes I miss messages while reviewing material

I honestly miss communicator because, at least on macos, it did everything I needed and had a spellchecker (the windows version we had did not and id get some confusing messages)

how can you have a product in 2018 that cant replicate the core features of gaim

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
use teams instead of skype for business

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Teams is bad. Skype for Business is very bad. We had better solutions 20 years ago. What the gently caress happened?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fiedler posted:

Teams is bad. Skype for Business is very bad. We had better solutions 20 years ago. What the gently caress happened?

Motherfuckers wanted money

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fiedler posted:

lotus notes is bad, and more importantly, worse than office

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

just set up a company IRC server that all the cool kids can use

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

r u ready to WALK posted:

bring back comic chat

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

anthonypants posted:

lotus notes is bad, and more importantly, worse than office

way back in the backwards times of 2013 I worked in a business whose applications were all written for lotus notes.

I can’t imagine the effort needed to unfuck that mess

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

SupSuper posted:

bring back comic chat

http://gyng.github.io/comicchat/#!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

it's called slack and it's in the :yayclod: now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

it's called slack and it's in the :yayclod: now

Is that Discord for boring people?