Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Oh my gosh... what a surprise... who could have seen this coming when they signed up for a Facebook account and put all their information on it? :nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

i always assumed that fb would at least get paid, not robbed

till the breaches of the past few years anyway

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I still genuinely do not understand this controversy. You put a bunch of information on your Facebook page. You then sign up for an app on Facebook which specifically tells you it's going to access your profile. You're surprised when that app actually does access the data?

Fundamentally, people are just upset in this case because the information was possibly used against them, not for them, right?

e: Removed two sentences that were originally part of a larger point I was going to make, but without the context, they just become a non sequitor, as you see below.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 4, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I still genuinely do not understand this controversy. You put a bunch of information on your Facebook page. You then sign up for an app on Facebook which specifically tells you it's going to access your profile. You're surprised when that app actually does access the data?

I see targeted ads every single day based on my search history. Positive Grid has me thinking about upgrading a piece of software I don't even use right now just because the ad looks good. Fundamentally, people are just upset in this case because the information was possibly used against them, not for them, right?

Yeah I think most people are taking issue with who accessed it. Which wasn't really their choice to begin with, but if it was Harvard or something scraping data to build some non-threatening worldview theorem there wouldn't be nearly the same outrage.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I see targeted ads every single day based on my search history. Positive Grid has me thinking about upgrading a piece of software I don't even use right now just because the ad looks good. Fundamentally, people are just upset in this case because the information was possibly used against them, not for them, right?

The controversy is more around that it accessed people's friends' data when said friends did not sign up to use that app.

They signed up for/continued to use facebook with its constant erosion of privacy, but still.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

astral posted:

The controversy is more around that it accessed people's friends' data when said friends did not sign up to use that app.
And also, like, all of their Android call history.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think in the latest cases it’s that people share information with ‘their friends’ and then those friends can install an app which then has implied permission to the original person’s profile even though they’ve never been near the app.

I agree to an extent that you’ve voluntarily shared that information but being able to have your entire profile hoovered up by an app that a friend installs does cross some sort of implied line, even if the privacy policy says it’s fine.

E:f,b. Also the above bit about loading your entire call history into the app.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Fundamentally, people are just upset in this case because the information was possibly used against them, not for them, right?

That seems like a great reason to be upset.

Burying what companies do with your data in T&Cs and privacy notices is bullshit. Companies know people don't read them, and have relied on them to build up entire industries. The U.S. really needs something like GDPR and a shift in philosophy about who owns data, but I don't see that happening easily.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: Removed two sentences that were originally part of a larger point I was going to make, but without the context, they just become a non sequitor, as you see below.

I think the point is that said app dug up and exported all your friends' available information also, not just yours.

EDIT: Plural possessives suck.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 4, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

anthonypants posted:

And also, like, all of their Android call history.

In fairness wasn't that only in Android like pre-4.1 when permissions were all fucky? That wouldn't be possible under like Nougat or later unless the app pops up and you grant the requested permission.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fairness wasn't that only in Android like pre-4.1 when permissions were all fucky? That wouldn't be possible under like Nougat or later unless the app pops up and you grant the requested permission.

Yeah but not every app was forced to read the call log and then transmit it back to be stored forever just because they used the older APIs

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

It is absolutely Android's fault that they allowed it to happen, but people are finding out about it in 2018, which is causing controversy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Samizdata posted:

I think the point is that said app dug up and exported all your friends' available information also, not just yours.

EDIT: Plural possessives suck.

The 2B number is from people scraping public profile data by brute-forcing phone number search, is it not?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

The 2B number is from people scraping public profile data by brute-forcing phone number search, is it not?

yeah, that’s what it looks like to me

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

anthonypants posted:

It is absolutely Android's fault that they allowed it to happen, but people are finding out about it in 2018, which is causing controversy.

Oh yeah for sure, not excusing them, I was trying to think back to the timeframe when that data collection would have been possible on my phone.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Pretty sure.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think the arstechnica article I read said even newer OS's were vulnerable to apps using the deprecated version of the API that Google still allowed until last fall? Or did I misread that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Squibbles posted:

I think the arstechnica article I read said even newer OS's were vulnerable to apps using the deprecated version of the API that Google still allowed until last fall? Or did I misread that.

Oh no you're probably right, that makes sense based on my knowledge of how Android API works. It's likely partially why Google is enforcing a min API level in 9.0.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2018-0986

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
There's a more detailed description of the issue on the project zero tracker.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

There's a more detailed description of the issue on the project zero tracker.

The Register wrote a thing too: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/04/microsoft_windows_defender_rar_bug/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I signed up for Facebook way back when only university students had access. Literally every single one of my friends then had a Facebook account, and that was how people invited you to parties and so on. Yeah you could message each person individually or use whatever group chat was available back then, but when everybody has Facebook it just made sense to use Facebook to plan things. Back then I wrote a lot of status updates and posted a lot of poo poo including my personal views and such because I was under the impression that the only people who would ever see it were my fellow students and friends.

That was over a decade ago and I haven’t posted anything to Facebook in years except for select pictures of usually food and poo poo. I’ve gone back and deleted a lot of the posts I made because looking at it now they were dumb posts but Facebook already has all that information. I’m fine with that, but what I’m not fine with is that friends of mine who installed CA’s apps have opened the door for CA to mine my poo poo and used it to elect the loving moron in the White House. I can’t blame my friends for not knowing better, and I can’t blame CA for using APIs that were totally available to them. So I can blame Facebook for letting it happen.

I don’t know how old you are but seriously among my friends (I’m 30 now) in college everybody had a Facebook account.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah same, when only students could use it and there were no apps I think people were a lot more open with the stuff they shared.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The 9.8 Cisco Security Advisory is probably old news, but I don't see anyone linking it and it's really an amazing example of how bad plug-n-play systems almost always are for security.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah same, when only students could use it and there were no apps I think people were a lot more open with the stuff they shared.
I remember when it even had fields for setting which dorm you were in and allowed you to search by that. Most of the people I knew at my school had all those values set.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/982410361012862976?s=21

This is a hilarious twitter thread, read it before it gets deleted.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Fool posted:

https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/982410361012862976?s=21

This is a hilarious twitter thread, read it before it gets deleted.

You have to show the context that spurred the hack session.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:suspense:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Kathe is going to be receiving some extra training, at best.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That whole thread is amazing

Cleartext passwords
Decade old php
Rhel 5, kernel 2.6
Tls 1.0
No security headers
Open directories all over the place
http login
Apache is ancient
WordPress is ancient

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
This week in "how big of a target can we paint on our systems"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The only reason their system hasn't been hacked to death is that several black hat groups own the whole thing and keep it going to have live access to a telco's systems.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This week in "how big of a target can we paint on our systems"
Seriously. Every gray and black hat on the internet just went "welp I know how I'm spending my Friday night". Thanks, Kathe.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
https://twitter.com/svblxyz/status/982333558525083648?s=19

:lol:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

haven't had a bonanza like this since learning Trump's orgs used 2003/exchange 2010

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Topical:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
That would make an excellent goatkcd.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mllaneza posted:

The only reason their system hasn't been hacked to death is that several black hat groups own the whole thing and keep it going to have live access to a telco's systems.

SHUT UP

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My wife knows nothing about information security, but when I explained that T-Mobile was storing all of the passwords as an unencrypted list that people could hack into and steal even she had a shocked look on her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Over/under on when TMobile announces a data breach?

I say 3 months.