Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Dude had actual brain trauma some years back. He was always abrasive but after his accident he had a hair trigger.

Gotcha. I didn't start spending much time in AI until after he wasn't around very much a couple years ago.

I can hardly imagine the frustration of brain damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

epic bird guy posted:

Gotcha. I didn't start spending much time in AI until after he wasn't around very much a couple years ago.

I can hardly imagine the frustration of brain damage.

He rolled a car down a mountain after getting sideswiped, and had to take the real expensive bus (helicopter) to a hospital. Yeah, he got proper hosed.

Just found a blog he maintains, last post was a couple of weeks ago. So he's alive, at least. Just ghosted everyone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend's kid sounds like Gage from Pet Semetary.

I do believe I will be avoiding that house.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a new show out on netflix called "fastest car" and it is unbelievably lovely.

Like they held a focus group asking what the thing people hate most about current car shows, and made an entire show out of their answers. Like the went out to find the most egotistical people on the planet to do a 40 minute profile on before a 10 second 4 way race.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

That's disappointing. I was hoping that Bisimoto and Abel Ibara were good indicators that it wasn't poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Half off weekend at Pick n Pull.

Couldn't find a matching fender or bumper (in fact they only had one coupe that had the bumper still on it, but it's the right one w/fogs... just orange. don't have the money right now tho).

I'll probably wind up ordering new headlights once I get the insurance check, right now I just want to get it back on the road before I have to turn in the rental. Can't stand yellowed lights, but they're only about $60/ea brand new.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 6, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BraveUlysses posted:

happy friday everyone, have a listen to one of the best mashups you'll ever hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Upzye9Ctw

That's pretty good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Half off weekend at Pick n Pull.

Couldn't find a matching fender or bumper (in fact they only had one coupe that had the bumper still on it, but it's the right one w/fogs... just orange. don't have the money right now tho).

I'll probably wind up ordering new headlights once I get the insurance check.

If you want to try respraying the bumper, I have gear to do it (HF HVLP gun and a big-rear end compressor). A quart of paint and reducer will probably run you almost $100 though.
MAybe try Row 52 to see if someone has a silver Suburban Apathy bumper: http://row52.com

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

He had another small breakdown and went scorched earth on facebook. Haven't heard from him since.

aka flew over the cuckoos nest

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BraveUlysses posted:

happy friday everyone, have a listen to one of the best mashups you'll ever hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Upzye9Ctw

Ha, that works too well.

My favourite mash up artists are The Hood Internet, they're loving experts at this poo poo and have been doing it since forever. Below is 40 years of rap/hip hop in one cohesive 4 minute track. Insane amount of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNx_3hNhCho

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not having the best day.

I started a new workout routine on Monday. A 3 day a week weight program, very low weight to get back into the swing. Got help from an actual trainer to prepare, my form is great, ready to go. Did 1 set of deadlifts Wednesday night, no issues at all through yesterday, woke up today and my right shoulder is jacked. I worked so hrd to get to where I was, lost all that weight, then regain a fraction of it and I can not lose any of it for the life of me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I'm not having the best day.

I started a new workout routine on Monday. A 3 day a week weight program, very low weight to get back into the swing. Got help from an actual trainer to prepare, my form is great, ready to go. Did 1 set of deadlifts Wednesday night, no issues at all through yesterday, woke up today and my right shoulder is jacked. I worked so hrd to get to where I was, lost all that weight, then regain a fraction of it and I can not lose any of it for the life of me.

Change your horizon. You did a lot without complications -- that's rare. Normally our bodies or life circumstances gently caress with us in some way. Even though you think it's a reasonable goal to do the program, don't view it as a failure to have to modify your participation.

Push hard, but only monitor your self once a week... you're looking at long-term change, something not measured in weeks or days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

Change your horizon. You did a lot without complications -- that's rare. Normally our bodies or life circumstances gently caress with us in some way. Even though you think it's a reasonable goal to do the program, don't view it as a failure to have to modify your participation.

Push hard, but only monitor your self once a week... you're looking at long-term change, something not measured in weeks or days.

I'm just upset because I am literally on the baby beginner setting and I can't seem to do poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I'm just upset because I am literally on the baby beginner setting and I can't seem to do poo poo.

No, if you were baby beginner, you'd be where you're at now, only fat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

No, if you were baby beginner, you'd be where you're at now, only fat.

As far as weight lifting I may as well be! This sucks!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Weight lifting is hard and hard on my body. I'm sticking to lighter stuff and never deadlifting again. Have enough back and hip issues as is.

Also weight is lost at the dinner table, not at the gym. Cheer up, bro.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JUST WANNA BE SWOLE

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Not worth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Only thing swole about me is my belly.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Meh. I tore my bicep and had to take it easy until now, basically. It's frustrating, and scary, too (I dropped 70lbs myself).

Just keep reminding yourself you didn't get out of shape overnight and you won't get in shape overnight; you won't go back to being overweight if you have to take it easy for a bit. Keep eating healthy and do some exercise that doesn't hurt the affected area (i.e. cardio).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rhyno posted:

As far as weight lifting I may as well be! This sucks!

Just go and do it. That’s all. Very few things matter even remotely as much as consistency. You’ll always be stronger than some dudes be weaker than others. But go for you, not for anyone else. Plus it takes like 2-3 weeks to really get into the swing of a new program if you haven’t been lifting for a while. Are you stretching and foam rolling? I find a good rule of thumb is spend 1/2 the amount of time you’re lifting on stretching. So 30 minutes lifting, 15 minutes stretching. Also, for the first two weeks, Advil.

E: how did you gently caress up your shoulder doing deadlifts? If it’s really messed up, take it easy but still do what you can. Going and doing 15lb weights is better than doing nothing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have no idea but it's the only lift that gives me trouble.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Then mr. goodform may not have good form. You shouldn't be shrugging at the top or anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Then mr. goodform may not have good form. You shouldn't be shrugging at the top or anything.

It didn't hurt at all afterwards an that was wednesday so it's possible I slept on it wrong. I dunno, this is a new kind of pain.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rhyno posted:

Only thing swole about me is my belly.
I lost 50 pounds in 2016, got a GF and regained 50 pounds in 2017, and have been stable right back where I loving started. You're doing fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You are old, so maybe it's just that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

You are old, so maybe it's just that.

This is probably the answer.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If my current TV is one of the last generation 30" CRTs (actually in widescreen and flat screen format, just really thick), does it even matter what I upgrade to? I was just going to buy a 50" or 55" 4k LED TV off of amazon that was priced well, and I don't care about apps because I watch all my video on a raspberry pi media center. I head good things about OLED, but the TVs were in the thousands so gently caress that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah. Just don't buy a Walmart TV (they're walmart-specific SKUs with stripped-down features and generally worse-quality panels 99% of the time), and avoid Spectre, Insignia, or Hisense, with reducing quality in that order. I've had multiple Hisense TVs die on me, and the other two are ones I've either had problems with, or garner a poo poo-ton of negative reviews on actual websites (like slickdeals or amazon) versus their store-specific websites with "catered" reviews (like bestbuy.com). Don't get a curved TV.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I know you don’t need apps but I couldn’t be more pleased with my TCL roku tv and you can get a 55 for $350

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That TCL was exactly what I was looking at. I started looking into various options and sperging over specs, but I can't imagine anything will be worse than what I have now. I don't know why I didn't do this 8 years ago, even the movers were giving me poo poo for it last time I moved.

I saw those curved TVs and was wondering what the point was, maybe for a home theater situation it's nice, but I just need a TV I can see from various angles.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think it was

"Everyone, buy a 1080p TV"

'Okay, everybody has an HDTV now'

"Everyone, buy a 3D TV!"

'Nobody bought 3D TVs/the market is dead"

"Everyone, buy smart TVs!"

'The people who want to have already done that.'

"EVERYBODY BUY 4K TVs NOW"

'4k kinda prices out most of the market / the early adopters already have 4k'

"Attack the whales (early adopter/big purchasers)! Release curved 4k screens!"

'Curved TVs have failed and/or are stupid'

<in the meantime, prices start dropping for 4k TVs, and the other 90% of the market can now afford them>

We are at today.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

This is probably the answer.

It is the answer. You cannot lift heavy weights forever, and when your body starts telling you poo poo you better listen. You don't need to deadlift.

Henry Rollins doesn't even lift heavy weights anymore because he's old and was tired of getting hurt, dude uses an elliptical machine now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It is the answer. You cannot lift heavy weights forever, and when your body starts telling you poo poo you better listen. You don't need to deadlift.

Henry Rollins doesn't even lift heavy weights anymore because he's old and was tired of getting hurt, dude uses an elliptical machine now.

I ain't liftin' heavy poo poo and also Rollins lived a pretty hard life did he not? I'm just a formerly fat nerd who wants to tone up.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

I ain't liftin' heavy poo poo and also Rollins lived a pretty hard life did he not? I'm just a formerly fat nerd who wants to tone up.

Treadmill.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maybe once I'm working I'll scour CL for one.

I think I've run out of motivation. Last year when there were those rapid fire deaths I was able to channel that into a focused goal. But now I've healed and we're past the wedding. Gotta find a focus again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I got sent to a chiro. At first I just groaned and thought I was in for some quackery. Neck definitely feels better after a bunch of loud cracks though, and they have a doctor that drops in twice a week to handle prescription stuff.

Darchangel posted:

If you want to try respraying the bumper, I have gear to do it (HF HVLP gun and a big-rear end compressor). A quart of paint and reducer will probably run you almost $100 though.
MAybe try Row 52 to see if someone has a silver Suburban Apathy bumper: http://row52.com

I'm kinda curious how much a shop would charge to do it, if I bring them the bumper and fender. They had a complete 03 coupe in good shape (aside from water in one headlight... which is why I wound up with a much more yellowed light). The 03-04 coupes had GM's first attempt at a CVT, which is why most of them get junked (and this one, natch, had the transmission yanked out... it'd only been there a few days). I've never seen an 03 with fogs before, and it's the first time I've seen a coupe with the fog light bumper at PnP.

I didn't have time (or money) to get the fender and bumper today. :sigh:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

If you're feeling down about your body or abilities, I highly recommend the My 600lb Life thread in GBS. :btroll:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I bought a really expensive (at the time) Sony Trinitron 50" rear projection CRT TV (720p/1080i) when I moved into my new house, 13 years ago this summer. Still works fine and I have no need or desire to replace it with a fancy new 4k thing, but I don't ever want to have to move it, drat thing is built into a rolling base and it's loving heavy just to roll it, let alone try to get it into a truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

everdave posted:

I know you don’t need apps but I couldn’t be more pleased with my TCL roku tv and you can get a 55 for $350

I have a 32" 720p TCL Roku TV in my bedroom. The only reason I've considered replacing it is the 49/55" 4K TCL Roku TVs are so goddamn cheap now. Really is a fantastic bang for the buck TV.

My living room TV is a 60" 1080p Sharp that I paid $1400 for years ago. If it ever dies I'll replace it with a bigger, cheaper, higher resolution TCL in a heartbeat.

• Locked thread