Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Watching the first episode of Magical Girl Site now, and wow, this is pretty tryhard. I burst out laughing when this exchange happened:

Heroine: Every day, all I think about is dying.
Bystander: Isn't it a little early for this?

Yes, I know it's not intended that way (the heroine's line is internal monologue and the bystander is probably talking about the train schedule), but I couldn't help but parse it as a Signal from Fred, some part of the writer's brain wondering if they were going too dark too early in the show. Even Magical Girl Raising Project had enough restraint not to have the protagonist nearly get raped in the first episode, or make literally everyone we see her interact with before becoming a magical girl be monstrously cruel to her just for kicks, or have the magical girls bleed from the eyes when they used their powers.

More sample dialogue:
Heroine: Please, don't hit me in the stomach. I won't be able to get my period...
Older brother: Why the hell would I care what happens to your body?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sounds bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Sounds bad.
it's

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's kind of weird how bad Madoka clones seem like they all go turbo-violent and hosed up when Madoka itself really didn't have all that much physical violence in it. And even a good chunk of what violence it did have was framed pretty indirectly.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think most of these are aiming to be madoka tbh, they're just mashing up magical girl tropes with survival/apocalypse stuff

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the directors understand that ultraviolence is extremely cool

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's kind of weird how bad Madoka clones seem like they all go turbo-violent and hosed up when Madoka itself really didn't have all that much physical violence in it. And even a good chunk of what violence it did have was framed pretty indirectly.

Magical Girl Raising Project, at least, was clearly riffing on stuff like Dangan Ronpa (and by extension Battle Royale, etc.) as much as on Madoka. I'm not sure what Magical Girl Site's excuse is.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
every edgy magical girl thing is madoka including when all the sailor scouts die in whatever part of sailor moon that is

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Silver2195 posted:

Watching the first episode of Magical Girl Site now, and wow, this is pretty tryhard. I burst out laughing when this exchange happened:

Heroine: Every day, all I think about is dying.
Bystander: Isn't it a little early for this?

Yes, I know it's not intended that way (the heroine's line is internal monologue and the bystander is probably talking about the train schedule), but I couldn't help but parse it as a Signal from Fred, some part of the writer's brain wondering if they were going too dark too early in the show. Even Magical Girl Raising Project had enough restraint not to have the protagonist nearly get raped in the first episode, or make literally everyone we see her interact with before becoming a magical girl be monstrously cruel to her just for kicks, or have the magical girls bleed from the eyes when they used their powers.

More sample dialogue:
Heroine: Please, don't hit me in the stomach. I won't be able to get my period...
Older brother: Why the hell would I care what happens to your body?

This sounds loving dire.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nanoha and Symphogear are probably the most successful late night Magical Girl series besides Madoka and they aren't dark but nobody seems to want to chase those series

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

eh, both those series have shades of it at least, though with symphogear it's mostly the start of S1.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

every edgy magical girl thing is madoka including when all the sailor scouts die in whatever part of sailor moon that is

when's the hanging piss part of SM

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto posted:

eh, both those series have shades of it at least, though with symphogear it's mostly the start of S1.

...Doesn't Nanoha predate Madoka by quite a bit?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

when's the hanging piss part of SM

I'll never watch it so I'll never know

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Doesn't Nanoha predate Madoka by quite a bit?

Yeah it's early 00s but I meant having dark/edgy bits. It starts with abusive mom and the most recent one has "child brutalizes other gradeschoolers" as a scene.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

I'll never watch it so I'll never know

Classic dis

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It's very rare for violent media to acknowledge that people pisss and poo poo themselves when they die so I applaud whatever show you're referencing there

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

It's very rare for violent media to acknowledge that people pisss and poo poo themselves when they die so I applaud whatever show you're referencing there

It's Magical Girl Raising Project.

Edit: I just learned that Magical Girl Site is actually a spinoff of Magical Girl Apocalypse/Magical Girl of the End - that series that used to get posted a lot in the convince-to-read-a-manga-with-one-image thread. Huh.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 7, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Motto posted:

Yeah it's early 00s but I meant having dark/edgy bits. It starts with abusive mom and the most recent one has "child brutalizes other gradeschoolers" as a scene.

Tbf symphogear sorta had the same abusive mom angle with Chris and Fine, though not as extreme I guess.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I don't know if it was commerically successful but Witchblade was a pretty good at 'edgy' Magical Girl.

Symphogear is pretty dark at the beginning of S1, but not grim. I think the first episode of Symphogear is really effective writing. It's way, way darker than the rest of the series, but that darkness has a real point. It establishes real, personal stakes for each of the main characters and outlines their relationships right off the bat.

The traumas that Hibiki, Tsubasa, and Chris have suffered deeply inform their characters. You only need a little glimpse to understand, and the show (mostly) doesn't linger on the traumas themselves, but how the characters respond to and move past them.

It's a very silly show where things happen just because they're cool, often, but it's never pointlessly cruel for the sake of visual impact, and I really appreciate that.

TLDR: surprise, surprise, I really like Symphogear.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It annoys me a lot that in the new LoGH they constantly refer to the space navy and fleets as the army and armies. The original didn't do that, did it? How can you get that wrong???

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that's the difference between Nanoha/Symphogear and Site/Raising Project. They have dark moments but they are there for the cast to overcome and grow much like in Sailor Moon or Precure. Site and Raising Project use dark moments to dunk on the cast constantly

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I couldn't make it through a whole episode of GBF or magical girl ore so that's everything I was interested in this season down.

I heard there was a space opera show with tons of male nudity this season which sounds like my thing but I hated the original LOGH so much I doubt I can get into the new one even if it's horny.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Watch the show about men punching each other

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

I couldn't make it through a whole episode of GBF or magical girl ore so that's everything I was interested in this season down.

I heard there was a space opera show with tons of male nudity this season which sounds like my thing but I hated the original LOGH so much I doubt I can get into the new one even if it's horny.

it was space battleship tiramisu, which has poo poo production values and the jokes are awful, but yeah there's several minute of full male nudity

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

Watch the show about men punching each other

It looks like a very well made thing that doesn't interest me at all. Maybe if I was still trying to box, but well

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any of the recent batch of anime on Netflix worth watching? Except devilman, saw it.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the only series that has really tried to ape madoka/ riff on the dark magical girl poo poo effectively was yuuki yuna which had the novel idea of balancing the trauma with manga time kirara style boring moe garbage which made it really powerful. haven't watched the new series yet tho

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans?

(I understand that is not what is being referenced, but it did have a scene with that. Iron Blooded Orphans is a good show where very horrible things happen all the time. Also, where most of the cast has limited access to shirts.)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

It looks like a very well made thing that doesn't interest me at all. Maybe if I was still trying to box, but well

Now that I know Dis is weak and has not the heart of a fighter I can bully relentlessly.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Any of the recent batch of anime on Netflix worth watching? Except devilman, saw it.

B: The Beginning, and there's been plenty of praise for AICO but it kinda bored me

deffo skip Sword Gai

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
ive stood around some street brawls but i was really afraid of getting beatu p so i mostly didnt hit anybody

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

B: The Beginning, and there's been plenty of praise for AICO but it kinda bored me

deffo skip Sword Gai

sword gay, lmfao

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

edit: drat wrong thread

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 7, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

ive stood around some street brawls but i was really afraid of getting beatu p so i mostly didnt hit anybody

I'm gonna pick you up and carry you around and all you'll be able to do is wiggle impotently.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

dogsicle posted:

deffo skip Sword Gai

I attempted to get through the first episode of AICO twice, tried both dubs, but it proved challenging

some good animation, though

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i'm gonna overcome the tyrrany of combat sports people by inventing the firearm

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Homura and Sickle posted:

the only series that has really tried to ape madoka/ riff on the dark magical girl poo poo effectively was yuuki yuna which had the novel idea of balancing the trauma with manga time kirara style boring moe garbage which made it really powerful. haven't watched the new series yet tho

Yeah, you can't just have all suffering all the time or it just feels pointless, and well-made shows understand that need for balance and provide it in one way or another. Like, no matter what happens to her, Madoka's parents remain fundamentally good people who want what's best for her throughout the series, and that's important.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Homura and Sickle posted:

Second series doubles down on suffering and Nationalism and really is worse because of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

AICO had one of those dubs that I found really funny because of how bad it was. It felt like something from the 90s with it, and that was a little bit of a novelty. Couldn't finish it once I reached halfway though.

So far I've seen Lupin, Gegege no Kitaro, LoGH, and Megalo Box and they're all pretty fun for their own reasons, except LoGH. I enjoyed it, but it felt lacking in comparison to the original. Looks to be a fun season so far and I'm hoping Crunchyroll get around to releasing Hinamatsuri soon.

• Locked thread