Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Hinds also have space for a squad of infantry, so they're bigger than you'd expect if you were just thinking of them as shooty platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That Hind is too big compared to that tank,
but to agree with other posters who’ve stated the same thing - it’s a pretty drat big helicopter in real life.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The T-64 is 9.5 cm long and 9.25 meters in real life, the Hind is 18.5 cm long and 17.5 meters in real life, making them both 1/100 or close enough. The scale is accurate, Hinds are huge.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

Recently errata'd to allow hinds to have a broader command range!

Then errata'd again when it was pointed out that their command range is now bigger, yes, but morale is a different thing that just shares a bubble with command range and that's still smaller.

BF are not great at rules.

(They also recently errata'd it so that helicopters trigger anti-air fire when landing, then less than a week later un-errata'd it so that it's impossible to target transport helicopters again :iiam:)

Wow.

The sad part is that I want to like them.

I want Team Yankee to be a fun, playable game about Cold War stuff. I'm a Vietnam history nerd, so I want 'Nam to be a good game. I'm interested in the GPW/Russian Front and have a pile of stuff built for it, so I want Flames of War to be good.

But they just can't stop tripping over themselves, can they?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Phi230 posted:

Basing vehicles?

Arquinsiel posted:

For 6MM it really helps.

Yeah just makes life easier and the paint last better than if you keep grabbing them. Also I like basing stuff, to be honest.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

so, 15mm WW2, is Plastic Soldier Company the way to go?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pretty much. Some of their kits are a bit over-designed though - the Pz38t has something like five parts just for the turret.

Battlefront makes some really nice resin and shouldn't be ruled out if you find it discounted, though. Zvezda is also really nice and generally very inexpensive.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cessna posted:

Wow.

I want Team Yankee to be a fun, playable game about Cold War stuff. I'm a Vietnam history nerd, so I want 'Nam to be a good game. I'm interested in the GPW/Russian Front and have a pile of stuff built for it, so I want Flames of War to be good.

They can't and it's very sad. I want to like Vietnam, too but I can't honestly recommend it, either; in a game where one force is comprised entirely of light infantry, the shortcomings in the infantry rules (and especially the assault rules) are intensely noticeable, and as for the helicopters thing...

My first game, I popped my AA out of guerilla reserve around the objective, thinking I was in some way guarding them. He then landed in the Tall elephant grass a little over 6" away, then disembarked the following turn to annihilate the 3-strong AA MGs in a hail of gunfire and bayonets.

That gave me Opinions on the mechanic.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A gameshop in my city had a massive sale on Flames of war stuff, so I got 8 SU-100's, a platoon of spetznaz (metal), a sapper platoon (metal), and an IS-2 (metal) and some paint.

Not enough to have an army that can play games but slowly!

Long term though I really wanna go into Team Yankee.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So I got my first box of Bolt Action stuff, just a box of 40 Soviets.

And in one box, I'm able to make a 500pt army.

I could get used to this kind of value.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Historicals are great.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Two years ago during a sale I managed to buy enough stuff to build both a 1000pt USMC Bolt Action army and a 1000pt Japanese SNLF army for slightly more than $100 total. Meanwhile, in 40k-land that will get you three resin models.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yup, that is definitely one of the perks of historicals. None of this poo poo is copyrighted, so modelmakers are competing with each other for the same ranges. Even the pricier companies, like Battlefront, are super cheap compared to the likes of Privateer Press or Games Workshop.

Ten plastic 28mm soldiermans for 29$ (2.9$ per man) vs 40 28mm mans for 50$ (1.2$ per man). The GW stuff is almost three times more expensive. And Warlord isn't particularly cheap.

Also, you can use your cheap models to play lots of different games!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Cessna posted:

Wow.

It sucks because early 2000s BF was really loving good. I don't know why they turned to poo poo over the last 3-4 years or so.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Geisladisk posted:

The T-64 is 9.5 cm long and 9.25 meters in real life, the Hind is 18.5 cm long and 17.5 meters in real life, making them both 1/100 or close enough. The scale is accurate, Hinds are huge.

Huh! I guess the T64 is a lot smaller than I thought.

I’ve been around Hinds a couple of times, and I didn’t think they’d dwarf a tank by such a huge amount.

They are pretty massive helicopters.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman posted:

I’ve been around Hinds a couple of times, and I didn’t think they’d dwarf a tank by such a huge amount.

They are pretty massive helicopters.

What have you been up to?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

He was up their behind.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I went to a couple of air shows and museums when I was an airforce cadet.

Speaking of which, the F-111 was a super cool plane and I got to sit in one :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

The biggest helicopter I’ve ever seen was an Mi-26

That was bloody massive

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Chiwie posted:

It sucks because early 2000s BF was really loving good. I don't know why they turned to poo poo over the last 3-4 years or so.

It's like GW in reverse. GW gets a new CEO and for the most part really improves, while Battlefront looks to be falling apart.

Also, well, it's just getting harder and harder to like Battlefront these days. Their quality control has gone to hell in this past year or so - I would estimate that 1 in 4 non-plastic models that I buy has a defect that is serious enough that I can't build the model, whether it is missing parts, incorrect parts (i.e., two left tracks on a tank) or severely warped resin. (Their plastics are good, but not everything is available in plastic.)

And their customer service, once top-notch, has slid to the point that they're a real hassle to deal with. For example, I pre-ordered Red Thunder, the new Soviet book for Team Yankee, back in early June 2017 when it was announced. I also ordered a copy of the Bundeswehr expansion at the same time. Apparently the Bundeswehr expansion wasn't in stock, so they held up my copy of Red Thunder until it was. For about a month and a half, well after Red Thunder hit the shelves.

In the meantime I changed credit cards. Before they shipped I got a harsh e-mail saying my credit card didn't work. I sent an e-mail in response explaining the situation and told them I'd call the number they provided with a new card number. A look at my phone shows that I called and left a voice mail five times. They never called back. On the sixth time they answered and I got to speak to them. It took me almost an hour (most of it on hold) to explain the situation, have them find my order, and give them a new card number. The whole time they were flat-out rude, and it took three months past the release to finally receive the book...

And in the past year I've sent in requests for replacement parts - with photos of the mis-cast parts as proof that yes, they had sent bad stuff - and had them completely ignored. (Edit: Or told "we'll replace on restock, 4-6 weeks," only to never hear from them again.) It's frustrating.

Now, yes, in the grand scheme of things this is minor. But years ago, when my FoW interest was at its height, they were easy to work with. Orders never went wrong. Models were almost always intact. In the rare cases when they weren't replacements were sent out quickly and politely.

My interest in their stuff is really waning. They're making new versions of rules that leave me cold, their quality is shoddy, and their customer service is unhelpful. I'll suppose I'll continue to play what I have, but I won't be buying into anything new, and I am looking for another game to support...

Cessna fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 6, 2018

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I really liked BF too but now i just... I can't.

I'm probably just gonna start collecting the battlegroup rules for my 15mm WW2 fix assuming I can figure out their maze of "use this book with this book, or if you have the other book use the 3rd and 7th book of this". Also interested in NORTHAG and a building a Tiger Force vs the eastern block and/or jihadi's. I have decided against 6mm.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've got 15mm WW2 mans that I'll use in Battlegroup game eventually, and I'm looking forward to seeing how What a Tanker turns out.

Fortunately PSC seems to have just about all the 15mm WW2 bases covered or in the process of being covered, and what holes there are can be filled by Zvezda and boutique resin places.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

am I correct that Chain of Command is really going to work best in 28mm, not 15mm? Looking at breaking into the scene, and trying to find a good balance between aesthetic, playability, and intersection between my existing Infinity/Malifaux terrain. I really like the small scales (have a lot of 6mm stuff) but individual casualty removal has me concerned with 15mm.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Signal posted:

am I correct that Chain of Command is really going to work best in 28mm, not 15mm? Looking at breaking into the scene, and trying to find a good balance between aesthetic, playability, and intersection between my existing Infinity/Malifaux terrain. I really like the small scales (have a lot of 6mm stuff) but individual casualty removal has me concerned with 15mm.

Nah, CoC works in 15mm too, and in some ways I think the distances are easier to get realistic in 15mm. I've seen several people do CoC with 15mm with teams based together, and using small dice (sometimes integrated on the bases) to mark casualties. But there are also those who play CoC in 15mm with individual bases as well.

So if you prefer 15mm, I'd definitely go for it.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

lilljonas posted:

Nah, CoC works in 15mm too, and in some ways I think the distances are easier to get realistic in 15mm. I've seen several people do CoC with 15mm with teams based together, and using small dice (sometimes integrated on the bases) to mark casualties. But there are also those who play CoC in 15mm with individual bases as well.

So if you prefer 15mm, I'd definitely go for it.

Thanks, that's kinda reassuring. I'm hoping someone can weigh in on their experiences with both methods of basing; I don't want to be too fiddly. I have a ton of 25mm plastic bases, so it'd be great to just put 15mm on those, but I don't know if that would play strangely trying to get into buildings and cover and the like. Poking into a new field is always difficult :p

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Signal posted:

Thanks, that's kinda reassuring. I'm hoping someone can weigh in on their experiences with both methods of basing; I don't want to be too fiddly. I have a ton of 25mm plastic bases, so it'd be great to just put 15mm on those, but I don't know if that would play strangely trying to get into buildings and cover and the like. Poking into a new field is always difficult :p

I know that a group in the town next over switched to CoC from Flames of War, and simply used the same minis and bases as before. So it should work, though I haven't played it in 15mm myself. I think it depends on how exact you want it to be and how your terrain looks: it would be just as easy to just remove the base when it enters a building, and simly say "oh, there's two guys in every window".

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Most of the guys I know play CoC in 28mm, but I know a couple of guys who do it in 15mm. They do individually base their dudes, putting them on small metal fender washers. It seems to work pretty well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They've got a ways to go yet, but they're definitely getting there. The sheer number and volume of stupid British early war tanks alone means that they still have a few to go before they're done. The main bases are pretty much covered though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
CoC in 15mm is dirt cheap which is a big plus imo.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

NTRabbit posted:

What a Tanker

I forgot. This will likely be my go to game for a very long time, assuming it holds up to their general standard.

E:My15mm nazi's are all based for FoW but when I bought some Joes I put them all on 20mm diameter bases. I've stopped all work on them because I'm not sure if I should un-base the nazi's or joes.

:negative:

DiHK fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 6, 2018

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
We play CoC in 15mm, individually based dudes on metal washers. It feels like the perfect scale to us, and we get to use all our FoW terrain.

I've also almost completely soured on BF. Their rules are poo poo, their product support is poo poo and their prices are lovely. The only thing I will still consider buying from them is their terrain, and their plastic tanks or the plastic infantry which is still in hard plastic. I even have a huge load of 3rd ed. books, along with the 4th ed. rules, that I need to unload. Problem is, FoW is dying in my country too. On the historicals buy/sell group on facebook for my area, there are about 10 posts about selling for each one buying. More and more big tournaments are dying out too. I'm considering just throwing my old books in the garbage rather than sell them for a pittance.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Thanks for the responses guys. For your basing washers, do people tend towards ~3/4"/20mm there as well?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
For individual little 15mm dudes, I wouldn't go above 1/2" or so. I forget what I did for my 15mm ACW, but they were only like 10mm washers I think.Roughly two-thirds of the mini's height is a good ratio, I think.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cessna posted:

It's like GW in reverse. GW gets a new CEO and for the most part really improves, while Battlefront looks to be falling apart.

Also, well, it's just getting harder and harder to like Battlefront these days. Their quality control has gone to hell in this past year or so - I would estimate that 1 in 4 non-plastic models that I buy has a defect that is serious enough that I can't build the model, whether it is missing parts, incorrect parts (i.e., two left tracks on a tank) or severely warped resin. (Their plastics are good, but not everything is available in plastic.)

And their customer service, once top-notch, has slid to the point that they're a real hassle to deal with. For example, I pre-ordered Red Thunder, the new Soviet book for Team Yankee, back in early June 2017 when it was announced. I also ordered a copy of the Bundeswehr expansion at the same time. Apparently the Bundeswehr expansion wasn't in stock, so they held up my copy of Red Thunder until it was. For about a month and a half, well after Red Thunder hit the shelves.

In the meantime I changed credit cards. Before they shipped I got a harsh e-mail saying my credit card didn't work. I sent an e-mail in response explaining the situation and told them I'd call the number they provided with a new card number. A look at my phone shows that I called and left a voice mail five times. They never called back. On the sixth time they answered and I got to speak to them. It took me almost an hour (most of it on hold) to explain the situation, have them find my order, and give them a new card number. The whole time they were flat-out rude, and it took three months past the release to finally receive the book...

And in the past year I've sent in requests for replacement parts - with photos of the mis-cast parts as proof that yes, they had sent bad stuff - and had them completely ignored. (Edit: Or told "we'll replace on restock, 4-6 weeks," only to never hear from them again.) It's frustrating.

Now, yes, in the grand scheme of things this is minor. But years ago, when my FoW interest was at its height, they were easy to work with. Orders never went wrong. Models were almost always intact. In the rare cases when they weren't replacements were sent out quickly and politely.

My interest in their stuff is really waning. They're making new versions of rules that leave me cold, their quality is shoddy, and their customer service is unhelpful. I'll suppose I'll continue to play what I have, but I won't be buying into anything new, and I am looking for another game to support...

i really hope you didnt buy any more of their poo poo after being treated like that, because holy gently caress

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Cessna posted:

This echos my experiences. I tried really hard to get into team yankee, a game that I by rights should be crazy about but their slowly turning into GW at it's worst path killed it for me.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Signal posted:

Thanks for the responses guys. For your basing washers, do people tend towards ~3/4"/20mm there as well?

I put my 15mm CoC guys on 20mm washers, and it looks fine:

Spacious, but since you've got lots of table space between the dudes anyway it doesn't look anything like crowded on the table - keeps them nice and weighty too.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm excited about What a Tanker, was looking for an excuse to try painting some 15mm scale tanks. If I can get my friends to try a single game that would be worth the cost of the rules pdf for me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you're in the eurozone I find that 1c coins make the best bases for 15mm dudes. I've based all the few tester models/bailed out makers on them.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Are there any decent squad-based games centered around cold war era security forces (like sas, spetsnaz etc)?
If not ; What would be a decent substitute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Greggster posted:

Are there any decent squad-based games centered around cold war era security forces (like sas, spetsnaz etc)?
If not ; What would be a decent substitute?

I'm sure there are moderns like Force on Force that you could use that I'm not familiar with, but I've played Osprey's Black Ops and I think it's pretty good at getting a spy vs spy, Metal Gear Solid feel.

https://ospreypublishing.com/black-ops