Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

Being a war tourist can finally overlap with regular tourism

"This Summer, Get Brazilian Waxed". The posters write themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
It’s gonna be darkly hilarious to see, in 30 years, every loving politician calling himself a “lulista” regardless of party association or political leaning.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

loving christ. all this for a guy who took a neoliberal turn when he was actually president

https://brasil.elpais.com/brasil/2018/04/06/politica/1523033454_739753.html

quote:

“O réu Luiz Inácio tem invariavelmente utilizado sua grande capacidade de articulação política para enfrentar, de forma ostensiva e acintosa, a ação penal e as condenações que sofreu. Não se critica o inconformismo natural a qualquer réu que não aceita a pena que lhe é imposta, mas sim a utilização de uma estrutura partidária para dar vazão, com ampla repercussão na imprensa, a palavras de efeito que nada mais fazem do que semear o descrédito no Poder Judiciário, com o único propósito de garantir a impunidade dos crimes pelos quais foi condenado”

Besides trying to curb Lula's feeling of omnipotence, they also argue that Lula is actively discrediting the judiciary, and therefore needs to be arrested quickly to shut him up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

joepinetree posted:

https://brasil.elpais.com/brasil/2018/04/06/politica/1523033454_739753.html

Besides trying to curb Lula's feeling of omnipotence, they also argue that Lula is actively discrediting the judiciary, and therefore needs to be arrested quickly to shut him up.
i have no idea why they get that feeling, but that explains why he originally got 8 years, got that upped to 12 years on appeal, and got a demand to be jailed immediately at the Supreme Court

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
I'm extremely conflicted about this whole thing. I think Lula did a lot of good things and I often had to argue with my family throughout the years about how stuff like bolsa-família isn't "bolsa barriga", so it's not like I dislike the guy or anything. But if the corruption charges are true, they can't be scrubbed over and ignored. The problem is not the justice system clamping on corrupt left-wing politicians (as long as it's reasonably proven), the problem is if it doesn't extend to absolutely everyone.

What's lovely is that the criminal charges are inexorably tied to a political motivation and this whole widespread campaign of tackling corruption will probably remain lopsided, opening a path to an insane proto-fascist like Bolsonaro (who IMO shouldn't have been able to even run for any political position in the first place) to seize the presidency alongside all of the other bloodthirsty militaristic reactionaries. I loving hate this.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

joepinetree posted:

In so many words. And then one of the courts that is handling Lula's appeal "liked" the comment, and Globo read it as a final note in their nightly news.

lol what a crock of bullshit

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Metal Cat posted:

The problem is not the justice system clamping on corrupt left-wing politicians (as long as it's reasonably proven)

Well that's the problem isn't it? I haven't been following too closely, but I'm led to believe they never produced any evidence of corruption in Lula's case.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Metal Cat posted:

I'm extremely conflicted about this whole thing. I think Lula did a lot of good things and I often had to argue with my family throughout the years about how stuff like bolsa-família isn't "bolsa barriga", so it's not like I dislike the guy or anything. But if the corruption charges are true, they can't be scrubbed over and ignored. The problem is not the justice system clamping on corrupt left-wing politicians (as long as it's reasonably proven), the problem is if it doesn't extend to absolutely everyone.

What's lovely is that the criminal charges are inexorably tied to a political motivation and this whole widespread campaign of tackling corruption will probably remain lopsided, opening a path to an insane proto-fascist like Bolsonaro (who IMO shouldn't have been able to even run for any political position in the first place) to seize the presidency alongside all of the other bloodthirsty militaristic reactionaries. I loving hate this.

I have zero doubts that Lula is guilty of some form of corruption. No one in Brazil gets to power without some basic amount of corruption. But selective justice is no justice. And flawed selective justice even less so. So even if I personally believe that Lula is guilty, I know that being tried by a judge that released illegal wiretaps to discredit him publicly is no justice. I know that PSDB and PMDB politicians have far more concrete evidence against them and are free. I know that Lula was convicted entirely on the word of people who made deals to get him arrested. And the whole "foro privilegiado" is an empty excuse to not arrest PSDB and PMDB politicans. Eduardo Azeredo has no "foro" and will not spend a day in prison for a conviction over something that took place 2 decades ago. Eduardo Cunha's wife had accounts in Switzerland in her name and Moro found her not guilty because there was no way for her to know that the millions she had in Switzerland were the result of corruption. Or Andrea Neves.

This whole circus is obviously about making sure that PT is out of power and stays out of power. And in that case, arresting Lula is not actual justice.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The judiciary going batshit insane because Lula is actually a very nice thing

I was hoping he would pull off a Brizola in the very last moment and say "come get me" just to cause rage aneurysms in some rear end in a top hat judges who think a funny cape makes them demigods

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

joepinetree posted:

I have zero doubts that Lula is guilty of some form of corruption. No one in Brazil gets to power without some basic amount of corruption. But selective justice is no justice. And flawed selective justice even less so. So even if I personally believe that Lula is guilty, I know that being tried by a judge that released illegal wiretaps to discredit him publicly is no justice. I know that PSDB and PMDB politicians have far more concrete evidence against them and are free. I know that Lula was convicted entirely on the word of people who made deals to get him arrested. And the whole "foro privilegiado" is an empty excuse to not arrest PSDB and PMDB politicans. Eduardo Azeredo has no "foro" and will not spend a day in prison for a conviction over something that took place 2 decades ago. Eduardo Cunha's wife had accounts in Switzerland in her name and Moro found her not guilty because there was no way for her to know that the millions she had in Switzerland were the result of corruption. Or Andrea Neves.

This whole circus is obviously about making sure that PT is out of power and stays out of power. And in that case, arresting Lula is not actual justice.

Yeah, we're institutionally rotten to the core. It's not like the judiciary would be magically impartial and immune to the same kind of petty thievery that plagues the executive/legislative.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Well that's the problem isn't it? I haven't been following too closely, but I'm led to believe they never produced any evidence of corruption in Lula's case.

It's largely testimonies and receipts, though I'm not on par with all the details of the case.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Metal Cat posted:

The problem is not the justice system clamping on corrupt left-wing politicians (as long as it's reasonably proven), the problem is if it doesn't extend to absolutely everyone.
but both of those problems go hand-in-hand. lula's going to jail on questionable evidence and rouseff got impeached for using the same accounting trick that was used by every post-junta president, while temer is both more corrupt and more unpopular than both of them but gets to keep his job

you're right that this is going to lead to either Bolsonaro becoming president or a military coup taking place. i don't know the background of the brazilian judiciary, but i wouldn't be surprised if it's made up of people who are on this crusade because they actually want authoritarianism. that, or they prefer right-wing authoritarianism over somebody on the left

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

just gave his speech

guy was literally carried by his supporters

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Supporters of ex-Brazilian President Luis Inácio Lula da Silva have stopped him surrendering to police after he agreed to end a stand-off over his prison sentence.

Scores of them blocked his car leaving the trade union building near Sao Paulo where he has been staying.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Avatar/post of this thread, at least.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
Oh yeah, forgot to post this. I was visiting my uncle a few weeks ago and this caught my attention:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/snolen/status/982740723014557696

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
So he didn't feel like starting a civil war, or what?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dude was to be immediately arrested yesterday, he turned that around by going to jail on his own volition only today

He basically flexed the judiciary and his general opposition. People who are celebrating do not realize that he went because he, in the end, wanted to, and that is a loving massive moral victory that basically lit a fire on whoever is slightly pro-Lula: El Pais BR mentioned that it is at least a 50/50 split on who approves his arrest (research is still biased because it was a google search thing so the audience might be way too self-selective), and his own approval has steadily climbed to an easy win should he end up running as presidential candidate

Either way, it is over, Lula is well on his way to become a living myth and if they put more pressure on him it will only reinforce the narrative of political persecution and make him even greater (thus making his opponents even more afraid of him)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

like, check this poo poo out, this is literally what the guys who were dreaming of getting him locked up got as an outcome:

Daenerys got nothing against this guy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Condolences on not getting the civil war you wanted, Plutonis.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

dead comedy forums posted:

like, check this poo poo out, this is literally what the guys who were dreaming of getting him locked up got as an outcome:

It's amazing how they botched this. Basically everything that could be done to make it clear that this was a sham was done.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Condolences on not getting the civil war you wanted, Plutonis.

There's time

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
what do you call the international brigades in portueguese?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the war wilk come

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

joepinetree posted:

It's amazing how they botched this. Basically everything that could be done to make it clear that this was a sham was done.
at this point, does it matter that lula is a political martyr? he's officially done as a presidential candidate and it's probably gonna be either bolsonaro or another junta leading brazil in a few months

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah I'm honestly skeptical he's transferring enough political capital to Haddad or Boulos (lol wishful thinking of mine that anyone will acknowledge him) to actually win

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hey plutonis is the mechanism actually accuarate? my dad is hooked on that show

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

That owns

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Plutonis posted:

I saw it coming miles away lol. I'll vote for Boulos but honestly it's gonna be either a legit full on military coup in October or loving Bolsonaro soin either option I'll join a revolutionary cell and get taken and murked by the doi-codi

voting for boulos and not manuela. a traitor to marxism-leninism

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://www.democracynow.org/2018/4/9/glenn_greenwald_brazils_right_wing_jailed

This is an eminently fair explanation of what has happened in Brazil for the uninitiated.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i went to a protest of Bolsonaro in Boston of all places where he was giving some kind of speech to the immigrant community here. the counter protesters were insane and super antagonistic, more so than any other right wing counter protest groups i've seen around here. at one point they started throwing pennies at us and telling us to pick it up.

here's hoping he fails. solidarity with all of you guys in Brazil

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I can definitely believe the expat community is full of serpents

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Karl Barks posted:

i went to a protest of Bolsonaro in Boston of all places where he was giving some kind of speech to the immigrant community here

this is loving hilarious hahaha

why the gently caress go there to begin with, overseas votes are like 0.00001% of the electorate

(ofc it is to get the cash from any Koch-type figure whose notion of liberty for foreigners is only applied to markets)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

why the gently caress go there to begin with, overseas votes are like 0.00001% of the electorate

(ofc it is to get the cash from any Koch-type figure whose notion of liberty for foreigners is only applied to markets)

The Kochs already funded one of the biggest "grassroot" right wing groups here, the MBL

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's a sizable brazilian community in boston and the metro area. why there? idk, because the legacy catholics (italians and irish) hate them

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

there's a sizable brazilian community in boston and the metro area. why there? idk, because the legacy catholics (italians and irish) hate them

A Boston company had business in Governador Valadares mining mica. Once they closed that part of the business there, it became a standard case of chain migration (in the academic sense of the word).

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Also it helps to sell yourself as being the reasonable figure outside, so you can get let's say a good part of the portuguese press to constantly berate Lula and Dilma and even have a countdown timer for his arrest and have constantly former police captains and Temer alligned embassy figures to sell this poo poo.

So you can afterwards smugly ask the brazilian correspondant "Well, now that PT and Lula have stopped their baby fit, why can't you just make a third centrist way? Also it is probably illogical and nonsensical that Moro was the one to convict him" and when getting a reply after 10 seconds of awkward, baffled staring, just move on to something else and hope you don't get poo poo from the Globo representative that provides 20 to 30% of your programming.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

joepinetree posted:

A Boston company had business in Governador Valadares mining mica. Once they closed that part of the business there, it became a standard case of chain migration (in the academic sense of the word).
ah gotcha. i think there is a similar reason as to why there are a lot of immigrants from ecuador in NYC, to the point where they were once the third-largest hispanic group behind dominicans and puerto ricans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

joepinetree posted:

ooooh great catch

but honestly if our fellow countrypeople counterprotesting Bolsonaro were poor when they got there, WHY you gotta be like that

ofc "immigrant goes republican to show how much he TRULY WANTS TO BE HERE" is a thing but come on

Kunster posted:

Also it helps to sell yourself as being the reasonable figure outside

Bolsonaro is quite already burned in the foreign press, particularly by some interviews he has given to documentaries and long reads from The Guardian and the like

he isn't some brilliant mastermind, guy is riding the wave that the moment allows him but he has literally no political machine to back him up and do groundwork, not to mention he is a PR disaster and doesn't control the party he is in (which leads to a lot of infighting)

besides he would lose points with his base if suddenly he started looking capable of being reasonable

• Locked thread