Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

That is a sinfully ugly Belgium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

The Frankfurters will speak French and like it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dreddout posted:

agreed

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Dreddout posted:

They did it to Strassburg.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Man, poor Luxembourg gets shafted in this plan. Couldn't give them a few hectares and triple their size or anything...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
why does austria remain

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
They’re very proud of their sideways princess head and pencil neck.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The USSR should be expanded up to the Warta, so Poland keeps moving ever West but staying roughly the same size.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'm Franconia containing ~20% actual Franconia.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

why does austria remain

You might wanna see this version with an Italian Austria.

Also heh @ "Berolinsk"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kurtofan posted:

why does austria remain

Greatest trick Austria ever pulled etc etc

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I like that the German speaking countries, Austria and Luxemburg, gain no land from dead Germany. Presumably neither does Belgium's German speaking community.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Golbez posted:

I like that the German speaking countries, Austria and Luxemburg, gain no land from dead Germany. Presumably neither does Belgium's German speaking community.

TAUSCHEN WIEN GEGEN SUEDTIROL

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The big question is how many of those newly expanded countries would find themselves majority German.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Peanut President posted:

Greatest trick Austria ever pulled etc etc
Was to convince the world that they didn't exist?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

dublish posted:

The big question is how many of those newly expanded countries would find themselves majority German.

French people are already basically Germans pretending to be southern Europeans

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

dublish posted:

Just move all the Germans to Heligoland

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

dublish posted:

In both maps, the Netherlands annex Northrhine-Westphalia which alone has 17.8 million people in it as well as Hannover and Bremen for over another million taken together. The Netherlands have 17 million today.

Austria annexing Bavaria puts it at 8.747 million Austrians vs. 8.854 Germans Bavarians.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

icantfindaname posted:

French people are already basically Germans pretending to be southern Europeans

We're Celts actually

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

We're Celts actually

So are many/most Germans

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Kurtofan posted:

We're Celts actually

Yo, Celtic culture was so widespread around Europe that some of them even got up into Anatolia somehow.
Having a Celtic history at some point in Europe is like having brown hair. Unremarkable as crap.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

dublish posted:

Pretty sure the Germans weren't supposed to come with the territory.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Grape posted:

Yo, Celtic culture was so widespread around Europe that some of them even got up into Anatolia somehow.
Having a Celtic history at some point in Europe is like having brown hair. Unremarkable as crap.

Isn't there some argument that "Celtic" was largely not even a purely ethnic group, but a social group which included a bunch of ethnically unrelated people that mirrored a lot of Celtic culture and many of whom eventually became Celtic speakers?

In any case, I do find it kinda weird that Galicia wants in on various Celtic organizations, since those are largely (though very much in theory) based on having some tie to a Celtic language. Afaik, northern Spain hasn't had any Celtic speakers for at least a thousand years. In fairness, Scotland only have 1.7% Gaelic speakers, and Cornish was completely dead for a couple centuries before being revived within modern memory and still kind of a cultural stunt more than a thriving language. drat *Argentina* has more Celtic-language speakers that Galicia due to their 19th century Welsh colonies in Patagonia.

I did want to put in an organological point: the claim that Galicia has bagpipes due to Celtic heritage is *absolute* bunk. Most of Europe has a heritage of playing bagpipes, but the earliest sold evidence of bagpipes in Europe goes back to Spain in the 1200s. There's a fair argument to be made that bagpipes came to Europe in the Middle Ages through either the migration of the Roma, or returnees from the Crusades. So that also undercuts any argument that bagpipes are a mass-Celtic cultural trend from before the Celts migrated out of continental Europe.

In whatever case, there's zero particularly Celtic about bagpipes in history, and the only reason they're heavily associated with Celts in the modern conception is because Scotland and Ireland are among the few areas where bagpiping wasn't killed off by fiddles and accordions in the 19th century. Scotland largely because piping was supported by the British military for cultural reasons, and Ireland because their main kind of bagpipe was a heavily modernized instrument that could keep up with emerging trends.

Croatia is not even slightly Celtic in the last couple millennia, but has a bagpiping tradition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eob8pDcXhV4

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 7, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Isn't there some argument that "Celtic" was largely not even a purely ethnic group, but a social group which included a bunch of ethnically unrelated people that mirrored a lot of Celtic culture and many of whom eventually became Celtic speakers?

sharing a common culture and language is pretty much the definition of an ethnic group though?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

sharing a common culture and language is pretty much the definition of an ethnic group though?

You don’t consider ancestry to be the primary component?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

No, only Hitler did that. He even exterminated all the Aryan looking Poles first because he thought their combination of supposed superior blood and being somehow tricked into feeling like Poles would turn them into more dangerous opponents than regular Polish scrubs.

e: just to clarify, since this is D&D, I’m joking. But yes, language and culture are universally accepted as primary, and most often only criteria.

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 7, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's completely weird to me how Americans so often go: "Yeah my grandmother's cousin's aunt's grandfather was Irish so I'm Irish too!"

No, you've grown up and lived in America all your life and so have your parents, you're an American. You're not Irish. The Irish live in Ireland.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Platystemon posted:

The primary component of ethnic identity is the individual's perception of their belonging to a community.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's a chicken-egg thing, where one implies the other in the long term. People with the same language and culture, inhabiting the same geographical area, will eventually come to share ancestry even if that wasn't originally the case. That is, unless there is a strong enough barrier to prevent it, but in that case they probably aren't primarily identifying as the overarching group to begin with.

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's completely weird to me how Americans so often go: "Yeah my grandmother's cousin's aunt's grandfather was Irish so I'm Irish too!"

No, you've grown up and lived in America all your life and so have your parents, you're an American. You're not Irish. The Irish live in Ireland.

I don't think that's something they say. It always seemed to me like white Americans are just going through the motions when they mention their European ancestry and it's not something they actually care about, it's just that American culture expects labels, the more the better. Those labels don't actually have to correspond to anything except in a very general symbolic sense.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 7, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

The primary component of ethnic identity is the individual's perception of their belonging to a community.
Incidentally, this means that if you post enough on SA, you might be a goon in an ethnic sense.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Eh, a lot of the time 'ethnic x' is used to denote at least SOME ancestry in x. You're Greek if you speak Greek, but you're an ethnic Greek if your grandparents spoke Greek too, so to say.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If Germany had let the Austro-Hungarian empire collapse in 1914, as it was going to anyway, they would probably have around double the population and land area they do now. Of all the poor decisions German leadership made from 1885 to the end of WW2, the one to trigger WW1 must be by far the worst, both nationally and for the other nations of Europe. It's impossible to say what would have happened next but for one the Nazis would certainly have never existed in the way that they did. Germany politically wasn't intrinsically any worse than the other European empires at the time and at this point in time decolonisation and the rise of democracy would likely be similar to now. I think it showcases the fundamental weakness of absolute monarchy, sometimes when you roll the dice you get a really lovely leader like Kaiser WIlhelm II who gets to do whatever they want for decades at a time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

reignonyourparade posted:

Eh, a lot of the time 'ethnic x' is used to denote at least SOME ancestry in x. You're Greek if you speak Greek, but you're an ethnic Greek if your grandparents spoke Greek too, so to say.

Yes, which is cultural, not genetic ancestry, exactly as people have been saying.

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's not about being Irish, but about having an ethnie - culture where your status has been historically determined by your ancestry. Declaration of descent has definitely been a significant part in American identity until relatively recently (and arguably still is), as paradoxical as it may sound - in short, you are not claiming to be part of a different nation, but are claiming a social position within your own society by claiming a status bearing heritage.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 7, 2018

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Incidentally, this means that if you post enough on SA, you might be a goon in an ethnic sense.

Brace for the inevitable ethnic cleansing of SA.

reignonyourparade posted:

This is I think a different meaning of ethnicity than is usually used in more academic terms, and is basically a synonym for "ancestry." If a person is of Greek ancestry but lives in the US and doesn't claim to be Greek-American, for instance, they have no ethnic connection to Greece or Greeks.

Ethnicity can be related to skin colour and other genetic markers; language; religion; cuisine; etc., or any combination of such features, but no one determines ethnicity. The only thing that ultimately lies at the core of ethnic identity is whether a person declares him or herself to be a member of a certain group. Which is why the claim that an ethnicity is "made up" is ridiculous; all ethnic identities are constantly being created and re-created.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Europeans complain about this a lot but I am not sure I've ever heard such a thing in the US.

Sure if you ask I'll tell you where my ancestors came from, but none of it is relevant to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

Europeans complain about this a lot but I am not sure I've ever heard such a thing in the US.

Sure if you ask I'll tell you where my ancestors came from, but none of it is relevant to me.

I think it's something that appears in film and literature as an anachronistic higher class thing, and people then kinda accept it into the canon of Things We Know About Americans.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I've heard it a lot since I moved to the USA.

Mostly from my mother-in-law, who will describe herself as 'Irish', 'Scottish', 'Irish-Scottish', and 'Scandinavian', swapping these around based on how she feels that particular day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s probably a perception they get from tourists.

American tourists in Germany are disproportionately likely to be descended from German immigrants.

Tourists aren’t exactly good representatives of their home country.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hungry posted:

I've heard it a lot since I moved to the USA.

Mostly from my mother-in-law, who will describe herself as 'Irish', 'Scottish', 'Irish-Scottish', and 'Scandinavian', swapping these around based on how she feels that particular day.

I didn't say it never happens, but my observation of Europeans talking about it online and the experience of living in the US are quite different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I'd suspect it has to do with American pop culture, which makes a big deal of Irish-Americans and Italian-Americas. The whole "celebrating terrorism against an ally" thing Irish-Americans have got going on probably also colors things.

Flayer posted:

If Germany had let the Austro-Hungarian empire collapse in 1914, as it was going to anyway, they would probably have around double the population and land area they do now. Of all the poor decisions German leadership made from 1885 to the end of WW2, the one to trigger WW1 must be by far the worst, both nationally and for the other nations of Europe. It's impossible to say what would have happened next but for one the Nazis would certainly have never existed in the way that they did. Germany politically wasn't intrinsically any worse than the other European empires at the time and at this point in time decolonisation and the rise of democracy would likely be similar to now. I think it showcases the fundamental weakness of absolute monarchy, sometimes when you roll the dice you get a really lovely leader like Kaiser WIlhelm II who gets to do whatever they want for decades at a time.
Yeah, if the German leadership had decided that the Austro-Hungarian Empire was dead weight, but the Austrians would be a nice addition to the German Empire, they could probably have made a deal with the Russians and Italians for how the empire should be divided. A deal that'd be hard to intervene in for Britain and France - like, who'd they convince to fight with them? I don't imagine Austria-Hungary would be able to put up much of a fight if it was literally attacked from every direction. And that's before you consider the possibility of its subject nations being promised independence or joining their independent brethren. Not sure the Ottomans would be much help.

After that, Grossdeutschland would be pretty well situated to creating a sort of proto-EU centered around itself, binding Scandinavia, Benelux, and the Czechs to Germany.

(You're making me want to play Victoria III)