Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gurazeni is intriguing story, I like the fact it's dealing with the low wage earners of Pro Sports and refuses to glamorize them. It being all about money just really hits home. OTOH dear god the 3D baseball animation just stands out like a sore thumb to me

New Wixoss seems better than Lostorage but I'm not sure I like bringing Ruu and Tama back since their story really was wrapped up perfectly in the first series. Also I 100% do not trust anyone not named Mari Okada to write Aki-lucky properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the new LoGH is fine, but it's great because it made me want to rewatch old LoGH so im gonna watch My Conquest Is A Sea of Stars and then do that

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
okay megalo box is pretty sick i will admit

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Wark Say posted:

If you mean Kaoru, I think it shouldn't be too hard to find photographic evidence of Mamoru Miyano (Kaoru's VA) rocking a similar hairdo to much success. Then again, when you're that good-looking, you could probably rock a bald head and still look hella handsome.

If you mean Teresa, I also have bad news:

DisDisDis posted:

:colbert:

the tada kun google image search is mostly full of some blonde chick but I found this other tiny blonde chick in there who looks cool

this is all proving my point: that straight bang style is terrible and can be improved by doing anything else.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

the new LoGH is fine, but it's great because it made me want to rewatch old LoGH so im gonna watch My Conquest Is A Sea of Stars and then do that

I'm liking it enough, but yeah, it's making me want to rewatch the old one more as well. I never actually got around to finishing it, so now seems like a good time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Homura and Sickle posted:

the only series that has really tried to ape madoka/ riff on the dark magical girl poo poo effectively was yuuki yuna which had the novel idea of balancing the trauma with manga time kirara style boring moe garbage which made it really powerful. haven't watched the new series yet tho

"a significant part of the show is bad" doesn't really sound like a plus?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

i'm gonna overcome the tyrrany of combat sports people by inventing the firearm

I'm not sure that would work out as well as you think.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Motto posted:

"a significant part of the show is bad" doesn't really sound like a plus?

i never said boring moe garbage was bad!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

boring and garbage are words with connotations

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you like something, don't call it boring and garbage. because you like it and enjoy it. you can praise things. it's okay. nobody's going to make fun of you if you say you think it was cute and charming when the eyepatch girl and the girl that i thought was korean but wasn't had an argument and then made up and slept in the same bed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont know why i thought that girl was korean, in hindsight.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Instead going to buy a thesaurus and replace every word in a post with its antonym, if applicable.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Endorph posted:

if you like something, don't call it boring and garbage.

I like Mad Max but that movie's pretty boring, and I like Super Mario Bros. but that movie is pretty garbage. I would have used anime examples but I couldn't really think of any.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

I like Mad Max but that movie's pretty boring, and I like Super Mario Bros. but that movie is pretty garbage. I would have used anime examples but I couldn't really think of any.

Instead of using bad shorthand crit you can be elaborate and more descriptive without much effort. Mad Max is super cool but has a long slow pace and lots of lingering shots. Super Mario is really goofy and poorly acted but has imaginative environments and set design and is fun to watch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

Sharkopath posted:

Instead of using bad shorthand crit you can be elaborate and more descriptive without much effort. Mad Max is super cool but has a long slow pace and lots of lingering shots. Super Mario is really goofy and poorly acted but has imaginative environments and set design and is fun to watch.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The new LoGH is already slightly different, and I'm wondering if it's just an artifact of trying to massively compress the series, and thus cutting stuff, or if there are going to be actual changes. Namely for the first episode, Reinhard seems to have no clue who Yang is.

Also, say what you will about CGI or the new character models, but the Brunhild - and especially the sweet command room + chair - are looking nice.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If you want to watch the new LoGH, I'd reccomend reading the novels, as they are almost the anime beat for beat, but a little bit gayer between reinhard and kircheis because we have an all knowing narrator that will tell us that reinhard loves playing with kircheis hair and how they'll tease each other

so that's good

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 7, 2018

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Enjoyed Megalobox but I want to see a bit more before I decide if I'll follow along or if I'll wait for it to finish first and then watch in one go. Either way, I think it looks really slick, had good music and definitely think that the show had a promising start.

Also not quite sure what I think of Magical Girl Ore yet. Watched it with a friend and found some of the gags to be solid, but it feels like a concept that may get old fast. I may give it a few more episodes before deciding to stick with it or not though. Generally I think first episodes are tough to execute well.

And yeah, I'd agree that overly qualifying stuff you like, or undercutting your own praise by saying "I like X but it's bad," is really silly (though it's easy to do. I know I'm guilty of it at times). If you're worried about getting into arguments, or even about flying off the rails to gush/post about a thing you like, just remember you can just post and don't worry about it! It's just the web after all. Besides, being positive about stuff you like, and unabashedly so, is often less tiring and can lead to more engaging chats/opportunities for long, tangent-y posts!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Homura and Sickle posted:

i never said boring moe garbage was bad!

maybe you should use better language to convey something is good, instead of trying to put yourself down for liking a thing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sharkopath posted:

sharks right

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

self-hating anime fans, smdh

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
well then, speaking of moe garbage comic girls was really good. i would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoyed new game. beyond the humor being real solid, i was just struck by how much effort was put into subtle details of the animation which felt kind of weird for the type of show it is. overall very enjoyable. already looking like a decent season and most of the stuff i'm most looking forward too hasn't even aired yet

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that post was a minor improvement :cheerdoge:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

stop saying moe garbage, friend

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
cgdct trash

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
stop it

get some help

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

release the post

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
thank you for freeing it

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

calming moe goodshows

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I love moe garbage like Rampage starring Dwayne Johnson in theaters April 13

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fire Barrel posted:

And yeah, I'd agree that overly qualifying stuff you like, or undercutting your own praise by saying "I like X but it's bad," is really silly (though it's easy to do. I know I'm guilty of it at times). If you're worried about getting into arguments, or even about flying off the rails to gush/post about a thing you like, just remember you can just post and don't worry about it! It's just the web after all. Besides, being positive about stuff you like, and unabashedly so, is often less tiring and can lead to more engaging chats/opportunities for long, tangent-y posts!

It is possible to like something and acknowledge it is bad or at least flawed, for example I like Horizon, but yeah people do tend to go overboard with it, particularly for things which don't really warrant it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

It is possible to like something and acknowledge it is bad or at least flawed, for example I like Horizon, but yeah people do tend to go overboard with it, particularly for things which don't really warrant it.

i think the inherent disconnect is 'acknowledging somethings flaws' versus 'the thing itself is inherently flawed and therefore not justifiable to like'

i havent watched horizon, but, say, rinne no lagrange is a fairly aimless show with a few bizarre character arcs, running gags that are dull at best and obnoxious at worst, mech designs that don't really work in motion, and a plot that has all the momentum and life of a sputtering volvo from 1973. Those are flaws. But it also comes at some of its characters from angles ive never really seen done before in a mecha show, has a really strong core relationship built on the back of a pretty odd take on how people relate to each other, mech designs that sometimes look really great in static shots or certain movements, and a likeable protagonist. A lot of its flaws are directly related to its strengths, or even result in its strengths, and viceversa. If it didn't have such an aimless tone and such weird takes on where it wanted its characters to end up, a lot of its best moments would have been excised or drastically altered. I'm not saying a better version of Rinne no Lagrange, still keeping all of its strengths while fixing its issues, couldn't have been made, but, well, I don't think that fact means that the version of it that actually exists is bad, warts and all.

I think a lot of people just see a thing has some kind of identifiable flaw and go 'wow, minus two points on MAL,' without really thinking about why that flaws exists, what the intent was, how it impacts the rest of the show, whether that flaw was an acceptable sacrifice, or even if that flaw leads into something that could be considered a strength. Tone issues are a good example of that: a show can have huge tone issues while still managing to land most of its dramatic and comedic beats. Even if that results in a few moments where a dramatic moment falls flat, or a joke feels out of place, managing an 8/10 ratio on both ends of the spectrum makes it feel a lot more alive and dynamic than if it was just funny or just dramatic. Is that 'tone issue' flaw enough to take away from the reasons why its tone issues exist, or how sometimes its tone issues actually lend it a tone all of its own? That's an individual question for the viewer, but there's a difference between 'I didn't personally enjoy this show due to its flaws' and 'this show shouldn't be liked by anyone due to its flaws'. Which isn't to decry criticism as mean-spirited, but it kind of feeds into why people self-consciously say the things they like are garbage: this thing has flaws, they like it, what the gently caress, that's illegal, better call it garbage before anyone makes fun of them.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
But enough about a Centaur's Life....

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
this is a safe space for liking things

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Endorph put it way better than I could have. For me, it's part habit, part real defensivess. Anime is an easy target, and it's easier to put some ironic distance between yourself and the things you like.

Part of it is affection, though. It's the kind of reverse-pride of the Primus fan. When I'm hanging out with my friends, the ones who like each other the most give each other the most poo poo, you know?

It's one of those things that works better with facial cues and tone of voice and all the other things text doesn't give you, though. I can go up to my friends and go "hoo boy, have I been watching some garbage" and they'll get what I mean.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Endorph put it way better than I could have. For me, it's part habit, part real defensivess. Anime is an easy target, and it's easier to put some ironic distance between yourself and the things you like.

Part of it is affection, though. It's the kind of reverse-pride of the Primus fan. When I'm hanging out with my friends, the ones who like each other the most give each other the most poo poo, you know?

It's one of those things that works better with facial cues and tone of voice and all the other things text doesn't give you, though. I can go up to my friends and go "hoo boy, have I been watching some garbage" and they'll get what I mean.

Yeah. It strikes me that "I've been watching 'I can't Believe my Magical Cyborg Harem Fantasy has so Much Paperwork!' since the season started. It's garbage." can, in casual conversation, easily convey "You have to watch this, it's amazing.", "I do not know why I'm watching, save yourself" or even "I think it's my favorite show ever, but you'll hate it with the passion of a thousand suns". Meanwhile, posting the same sentence tends to draw confusion and statements like "So, why don't you stop"?

(I'd also think that another use of insults in this sort of context is to convey "I think that it's fun, but it fails at its intended aims, and is only enjoyable because of the nature of its failure". The Plan 9 thing.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd watch 'I can't Believe my Magical Cyborg Harem Fantasy has so Much Paperwork!'.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Everything Burrito posted:

this is a safe space for liking things

I'm glad because I like liking things

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I will give anything that comes out of Manga Time Kirara a chance because that magazine is essentially just a collection of stuff that's extremely my poo poo and has pretty consistently turned out some of my favorite shows for years.

But yeah Comic Girls was fun, I like the characters so far and the variety of genres they cover gives some pretty good stuff to goof on. Particularly since they didn't shy away from having one of them just draw straight-up eromanga.

Anyway, I don't normally have much of an interest in sports/boxing series but I gave Megalo Box a chance and I liked it way more than I thought I would, I'm interested to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Knorth posted:

I'm glad because I like liking things

I think I can provisionally agree with this.

• Locked thread