Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rhyno posted:

Jesus that art.

I like that Nurse Chapel shows the artist can draw clothed women, Jean shows he doesn’t want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Jerusalem posted:

I think he said,"Is this my Super-Villain origin?" because even when absolutely devastated Spidey can't stop his mouth just blurting out a joke :allears:

Which is as good an excuse as any to post one of my favorite ever panels, from Superior Spider-Man 31:

That single panel beat as Norman figures out what has happened :kiss:

I always love how much hatred there is in that one glaring eye.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Why was Professor X scum in the Ultimate universe?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

A Strange Aeon posted:

Because that was the Ultimate universe's gimmick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A lot of the 2000s-era all-star writers were big on "What if this father figure was a huge rear end in a top hat?", both in 616 and Ultimate.

I try not to draw too many conclusions about what that says about them.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Zil posted:

I always love how much hatred there is in that one glaring eye.

I think in hindsight somebody could put together a solid "best of" of Slott's run that was really charming and worthwhile, it certainly did have its prolonged periods of creative doldrum but when it was on it was on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Archyduke posted:

I think in hindsight somebody could put together a solid "best of" of Slott's run that was really charming and worthwhile,

It'd be just that one page.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of the 2000s-era all-star writers were big on "What if this father figure was a huge rear end in a top hat?", both in 616 and Ultimate.

They were just building on themes Claremont started.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Except for Ultimate Uncle Ben. He was a saint.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Lurdiak posted:

And that issue wasn't scripted by him.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What really does it for me is the tight zoom on Norman's hateful eye; with how small the word bubble is compared to both the frame and his face, and the teeth down in the right corner, the whole panel combines so that even without any other direction, you know he's clenching his jaw and hissing: "It's youuuuu." God, he just hates that Peter's back so loving much right there.

No idea how Parker hears him from a hundred feet away above the sound of a jet-powered goblin glider, but hey, comics.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He has the proportionate lip-reading abilities of a spider.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also you KNOW what Goblin is saying/thinking even if you removed his dialog completely. That page just works, the way his eye just grows more blood shot, the light, the zoom, everything.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

A Strange Aeon posted:

It was also implied that he was using telepathy to subtly manipulate people all over the place, slowly reshaping their minds to what was "best".

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Because Mark Millar was the first writer and set the tone for the series.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Professor X is scum in pretty much every continuity at this point. Even really early on in the original Uncanny run he spent a ton of time creeping on Jean which got pretty :yikes:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zore posted:

Professor X is scum in pretty much every continuity at this point. Even really early on in the original Uncanny run he spent a ton of time creeping on Jean which got pretty :yikes:

A ton of time = 1 panel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

A ton of time = 1 panel.

BUT ONSLAUGHT

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

A ton of time = 1 panel.
A lesser-known variant of Hank Pym syndrome.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He faked his death and left the teens in his care alone a lot too.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Elfface posted:

He faked his death and left the teens in his care alone a lot too.

That's not fair. Sometimes he left the teens in the care of a former supervillain!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Look if you'd had to deal with Cyclops for any length of time, you'd take any excuse to get away, too

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Vicissitude posted:

It was also implied that he was using telepathy to subtly manipulate people all over the place, slowly reshaping their minds to what was "best".

That's like the most insidious super power thing to do,make everyone believe you're the good guy,and if you don't agree....well....i've got a mansion full of mutants that are on my side.Proffessor X is like the ultimate baddie.

also,can't hit me,i'm a cripple....except when i'm not lol.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Lurdiak posted:

Goblin's hamming it up in 798.

He's just like a kid out there! He's so happy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Norman understands the importance of having a sinister back and forth between the hero and villain.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Metalshark posted:

The Star Trek/X-Men crossover issue is fun.

Coincidentally, I've been reading the Claremont X-men lately. It gets off to a pretty slow start, but then out of nowhere, this terrific Star Trek parody:

And then, a few pages later, Claremont and Dave Cockrum make an appearance in their own comic book. Plus a goofy running gag about the X-Men's aircraft blowing up. Not what I was expecting...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Coincidentally, I've been reading the Claremont X-men lately. It gets off to a pretty slow start, but then out of nowhere, this terrific Star Trek parody:

And then, a few pages later, Claremont and Dave Cockrum make an appearance in their own comic book. Plus a goofy running gag about the X-Men's aircraft blowing up. Not what I was expecting...
I've always loved that page. Just straight up adore "Sensors detect Galactus got his rear end kicked"

I think a later comic instead had the alien try to warn their superiors only to die, because it was a comedy "Alien invaders go to the bar" deal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

From the way the captain reacts you think she'd just told him they don't serve ginger ale.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That's not how the line goes, Namor.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
What the gently caress is wrong with your cranium, Namor

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Early onset secondary mutation.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Norman understands the importance of having a sinister back and forth between the hero and villain.

I'm reminded of his first appearance in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon. He and Spidey go back and forth trading verbal barbs, and then Spider-man has to stop and go "Hey, nice banter!!". And he's right, because all the villains up til then had been pretty dull in the mid-fight lines department.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What's wrong with his everything

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Section Z posted:

I think a later comic instead had the alien try to warn their superiors only to die, because it was a comedy "Alien invaders go to the bar" deal.

There was an issue of UXM right after the Inferno crossover that was a really blatant parody of the then-current Invasion crossover in DC, with Rob Liefeld on the art. I want to say there was a bit like that in there, with one of the Not Khunds Really getting shot for his trouble.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wanderer posted:

There was an issue of UXM right after the Inferno crossover that was a really blatant parody of the then-current Invasion crossover in DC, with Rob Liefeld on the art. I want to say there was a bit like that in there, with one of the Not Khunds Really getting shot for his trouble.

That was a brilliant issue, and since it was about the male X-Men going off to drink and hang out it was also a companion piece of sorts to the issue before, when all the X-women went to a mall and Jubilee made her first appearance.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Golden age Namor has a triangle head.

If you think Namor looks weird, check out his mom:

I'm reading all of the golden age Human Torch/Sub-Mariner fights at the moment at there are two things that stand out. First, Namor has thrown more people off the George Washington Bridge than Norman Osborne. Second, this is the weirdest Torch/Namor fight:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 8, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Original Namor was a lot more alien. Which he should be considering he's half fish-man.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

People who live in glass houses shouldn't give any fucks

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

NoneMoreNegative posted:

People who live in glass houses shouldn't give any fucks

That guy who threw the grenade is about to have a very bad day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Piell posted:

That guy who threw the grenade is about to have a very bad day.

I like the detail of the bullets bouncing harmlessly to the ground so that we can be spared from thinking those ricochets are going to kill him but grenade dude... *shrug*