Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm genuinely surprised there aren't any other goons playing on Nasomi. It's really a ton of fun recreating this era (but with some nice adjustments, like no party exp penalty and more exp for DC/EP mobs). After like a week and a half or so I'm RDM19/BLM13/WHM10. Trying to decide whether I want to level RDM, BLM, or WHM to 30 to get BRD. I'm thinking WHM for the sub but they're less popular than in retail due to powerlevels, and RDM is already 19 so I might just bite the bullet and level it to 30 for BRD despite knowing I'll never be able to get refresh and actually level the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X

Frog Act posted:

I'm genuinely surprised there aren't any other goons playing on Nasomi. It's really a ton of fun recreating this era (but with some nice adjustments, like no party exp penalty and more exp for DC/EP mobs). After like a week and a half or so I'm RDM19/BLM13/WHM10. Trying to decide whether I want to level RDM, BLM, or WHM to 30 to get BRD. I'm thinking WHM for the sub but they're less popular than in retail due to powerlevels, and RDM is already 19 so I might just bite the bullet and level it to 30 for BRD despite knowing I'll never be able to get refresh and actually level the class.

Name? Just started with another goon.

Like it better than live ffxi so far but only got two jobs at 7

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

More goons should play on Nasomi, the three of us had fun today and we're all still low level. Gonna level BLM to 30 I think cus its fun and needed and then go for BRD.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Frog Act posted:

More goons should play on Nasomi, the three of us had fun today and we're all still low level. Gonna level BLM to 30 I think cus its fun and needed and then go for BRD.

BLM pet burn sounds fun actually

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
The grind is real on Nasomi. That said the meta seems quite different than retail. Dunes parties are not as job strict, and is very easy going on “new” players. People do not seem to be as hard or demanding, and some of that is likely due to the pool in which you have to choose from.

Also linkshells basically recruit based on either “is this character in motion?” Or “was this guy friendly to my random /tell?”

My great regret is that I have to start all kinds of poo poo over from a character that was 90% 99lvl. I am already finding myself going “ok but there is (job), poo poo that means I have to get (/job) and (/job)...”

My intention is Mnk with /war or /nin as my ONLY focus...but then I remember Bst/ and Sam/ and Nin/ and and and...

All said, I don’t think I could wander back into retail after my relapse last year. Too behind in content and the meta has changed dramatically.

Is there a Nasomi goon linkshell yet?

hagie fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 9, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'd be happy to fork over the gil for a linkshell if we could get some people together, at the very least it'd be ncie to have a separate chat channel away from GreeterPatrol. They're helpful but, on account of having like half the server population in it, it is full of fuckin idiots.

What do you want to do Hagie? Like you said, the meta is really different, and its also not the same as an actual retail 2005, because nasomi has made some changes of his own. Personally I think if you want to DPS I've heard awesome stuff about MNK and SAM specifically, especially because there aren't a ton of SAM and people love the TP bonuses (I think at least). NIN of course is a tank right now and weirdly BST seems to be more party-acceptable than in retail.

Also there are more 'elite' linkshells that do raid content regularly but I think those are somewhat more exclusive and have requirements. People do all the end game stuff though, apparently there are a large number of players with relic weapons and sets and stuff. Evidently when the server launched they had exp increase books and some end game stuff was bugged so there is a cohort of players from 4 years ago who have like everything on every job on 2 characters.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Really, I am a generic DD lover. Low on responsibility, and have high fun going all out. No keeping others alive or raising the downed. Just punch/slash that poo poo.

Mnk was my 2nd 75 job back well-before Abyssea came out. I know it and the mechanics so muscle memory is not too far off.

Sam is under consideration because it’s pretty drat fun, and can share Mnk gear somewhat. I miss running around in a Kirin Osode and Wyvern helm.

Nin I was late to the game in playing, but I felt I had mostly mastered it in Abyssea. I would love to go back to Uts being the only tools used. This is MAX focus for me. This is the only full on tank job I would even consider.

Bst could be fun for solo and challenging things, but demands /whm, which will require /balm or /rdm...luckily only to 18 though...

I’d just like to get to decent gear with out having to play the game as a “part-time job.” OHat, Scorp Harness, KOsode (could pay...) Wyvern helm etc. I don’t know if Dynamis is necessarily in my vision currently.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Personally I think SAM has the coolest aesthetic of them all with the dope stances and swords and stuff.

Also the community guy for Nasomi is paying people 1k gil / hour to stream Nasomi gameplay, lol, so I made a twitch account and I'm just gonna stream whenever I play now to shore up my money problems

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

How is the time cataloged? How do you know what you made?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Twitch will automatically retain backups of a stream for 14 days so you just pm the dude your stream post broadcast and he sends you Gil equivalent to the length, as long as you're not afk the whole time.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

What if you play a few hours and afk a few hours?

Edit: really it’s only a few hours a day so it’s not like you would be making huge bank.

Where do you sign up/inquire?

hagie fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 9, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah it's not much but I figure if I do it regularly it'll subsidize my spell purchases til j get to 30 and start bard, plus maybe afford some decent twink gear for when I level that

Go to the official forums, there is a thread in "main chat" about it

If anyone is bored I will be streaming on twitch as DongQuixote01, I made a twitch account today for this

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I may make a generic account for this and make it FFXI nerdy as hell.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

OK so really digging Nasomi but one problem with my game. real low fps. I've gone into Nvidia control panel and tried every possible setting. The first time i did this, about 5 hours later the impossible happened. Something finally 'caught' the client and all of a sudden my FPS was at 58 and all my graphics settings applied.
Naturally this did not carry over into the next session. What to try next? I found this:
http://nabutso.com:4438/FFXI/ffxi_d3d8to9_proxy_v1.0.0.2-by_atom0s.7z
but do not know what i'm supposed to edit in that .ini
dank you in advanced

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Does it take hours upon hours to level Whm to grouping levels (8) on this private server?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

No, the exp reduction you would suffer during the initial levels is eliminated, so you get full exp from EP/DC mobs. I did WHM/BLM to ten in about two and a half hours. I did RDM to ten without a subjob in maybe 3 or so, and it's easy to do 13-18 in an afternoon

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
despite my better judgement im downloading the private server stuff. If I go to advanced jobs I'd be a pld. Are they used on this server? You guys in a discord of some sorts?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

despite my better judgement im downloading the private server stuff. If I go to advanced jobs I'd be a pld. Are they used on this server? You guys in a discord of some sorts?

Not sure on PLD at the moment. Most I have seen have been low level starting out.

I created a really really small discord at the moment (2 members) but i would be alright with sharing it if necessary. Nothing SA official though. Rather keep the population down, unless things get serious.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Paladins are awesome and useful tanks on Nasomi, I've seen a few around. One in AF armor with a macahhuitl +1 in valkurm earlier, was very cool looking

I'm Edmund in game

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Paladins are awesome and useful tanks on Nasomi, I've seen a few around. One in AF armor with a macahhuitl +1 in valkurm earlier, was very cool looking

I'm Edmund in game

Yea i was looking on their forums and at screenshots and there was one with aegis and koenig and what not.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Yea i was looking on their forums and at screenshots and there was one with aegis and koenig and what not.

yea i saw that where they wiped in the tomb and two of them have more than one relic iirc

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Frog Act posted:

I'm genuinely surprised there aren't any other goons playing on Nasomi. It's really a ton of fun recreating this era (but with some nice adjustments, like no party exp penalty and more exp for DC/EP mobs).

And I'm surprised that people want that era because it was what drove me away from the game originally. Everything is much better now, with mounts and waypoints everywhere and actually being able to solo mission content and the like. I have very little nostalgia for "classic" XI. I'm much more into "let's tear across Sarutabaruta to Tahrongi Canyon solo and be the right level by the time I get there, oh and it takes all of 5-10 minutes".

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I would argue that is too easy, and does not teach mechanics. Yea, this is a slog, but the entire server seems to be loaded with people willing to help anyone at the drop of a hat.

Yea getting to 99 quick is great, but then you look like a buffoon in a party when you don’t know your jobs roles, and/or your skills are off. I know they rectified the skill ups in retail with consumables, but still.

If I wanted to be solo, I’d play FF14. There are some things I would like to challenge myself solo, but eh.

Efit: this sounds way more combative than I intended

hagie fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 10, 2018

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
A lot of hardcore XI fans long for the days when the game asked you to grind 8 hours for a single level and pounded you in the rear end repeatedly. I was in High School when XI came out so I had time to do that. Now I am at a point in my life where I can't spend 8 hours a day grinding on an mmo like its a second job.

Hell, I probably severely stunted myself in High School and college playing FFXI when I could have been outside doing things. I've kind of wasted a huge chunk of my life.

Now all I need to do is write a terrible novel filled with video game and sci-fi references that gets made into a movie and I'll be a millionaire and set for life.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hagie posted:

I would argue that is too easy, and does not teach mechanics. Yea, this is a slog, but the entire server seems to be loaded with people willing to help anyone at the drop of a hat.

Yea getting to 99 quick is great, but then you look like a buffoon in a party when you don’t know your jobs roles, and/or your skills are off. I know they rectified the skill ups in retail with consumables, but still.

If I wanted to be solo, I’d play FF14. There are some things I would like to challenge myself solo, but eh.

The thing is, it's not like XI's hardcore grinding prepared people for the endgame. I was in plenty of Dynamis runs in "old school" XI where people clearly didn't know what they were doing. I remember having to do a sac-pull as a goddamned white mage because the thief couldn't figure it out. Like, seriously. That's your one job. Thief doesn't have a lot going on, what the hell are you doing here if you can't pull?

XI's grinding and camps was all about finding the easiest, least threatening monsters to fight and kill repeatedly for hours on end. That did very little to prepare you for the actual endgame. Assuming you could even get there, my experience with the high-level XI community in that era was mostly toxic. It bred a really awful kind of elitism when it was at least partially justified because failure could cost you a lot of lost EXP and/or hard-to-obtain pop items (so, hours of work).

A lot of the "difficulty" of old school XI is just that: difficulty, in quotation marks. It was more about taking an hour to accomplish a basic task, for no reason. Waiting for airships, waiting for party, running to reach a camp, running to reach a mission destination... the contrast of the modern game where you can just teleport to your destination (as long as you've been there once before) is staggering, and I have absolutely zero desire to go back to the old way of doing things.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Well I am having a decent time playing a few hours a night.

If retail didn’t have the subscription cost I’d probably go back.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Oh and another great thing about live XI is that you can actually get gear upgrades while leveling by leveling via RoE instead of having to pretty much already have a higher-level job or beg someone to get any sense of progression in that area. I really do not miss that part of the game. And if you do actually want a good piece of mid-level gear it's probably affordable on the AH because nobody cares that much about it and you can vendor Archeon Shields for gil.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I enjoy the timesink challenges that the size and difficulty of traversing the world in this era provides, and it's really not bad with outpost warps. People also level pretty fast, eight hours would be a few levels even in the 50s I think because people are generally on well geared alts. I'm also generally okay with the gearing difficulty because people will let you group even with poo poo gear and they're very helpful with regards to acquiring it.

Last night a mithra named "Juggerknockers" gave me 40k so I got some gear and I'm gonna save the rest for bard stuff

Also anyone wanna do BCNM 20 sometime soon?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Honestly the biggest problem with the server is the intense lag that hits populated zones at peak hours and some of the inexplicable bugs.

Go to 2:50 here and we attempt to teleport and end up bugged on the walls of selbina, then try to get in the boat which is bugged, and then everyone gives up because we had spent three horus trying to get an 18 sync party together to kill crabs and then couldn't cus of lag, because there were hundreds of people in Valkurm.

ed: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/248597114

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 10, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I guess the reason I have absolutely no interest in a private server is because I'm back playing XI not for the nostalgia, 75-era XI can burn in hell for all I care I jumped ship to WoW as soon as it was availible because it was a much more player-friendly game even if vanilla WoW still had its share of similar headaches. I'm here playing to experience all the content I could never experience back in those days because of the arbitrary roadblocks and horrid elitism that were so rampant in the original game. I enjoy the story and world of Vana'diel for lack of better description but it always seemed in the past that SE wanted to make it incredibly hostile and difficult to enjoy. Now those barriers are gone and I can easily overpower most of the content if I want, and for whatever reason I find that a lot more enjoyable than having someone else overpowering it for me.

I have no idea if I'll dive into the endgame or not once I finish all the story content and maybe solo Dynamis a few times just to say gently caress you to all the pain it caused me a dozen years ago, but so far I'm enjoying the live server experience a lot.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

Honestly i still love liveXI but my server is dead and frankly even to get caught up on the content i missed since i quit around SOA would take more time than leveling a character to 75. I wanted to replay the story anyway.
In livexi a lot of what you're doing until you hit SOA is playing solo with trusts just to have to catchup to poo poo, and i'm not sure if anyone runs any of the newer stuff that much anymore.

I also like that the endgame i'm playing towards is already established and played to death and familiar.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Everyone I've spoken to on Nasomi hates live XI, and they complain it is basically a solo game that requires no time investment (hitting cap in 10 hours, nobody groups ever, small population all at end-game already) and they hate the "easy mode" mechanics. A lot of them are arrogant masochistic shut ins who have a stupid attitude about how their 10+ hour a day investment makes them the only real MMO Enjoyers in the world or something but I do agree with people about the social aspect, it is nice to have plenty of people to group with at all levels. I see more people in their 30s-60s than 75, which is super cool.

I think ultimately the biggest thing going for Nasomi atm is that its experiencing some kind of giant player boom. I saw a post about it in this thread and found it, but evidently at the same time Kotaku published an article or something with Nasomi's information and thats why there are so many new players.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

If it's player numbers you're looking for when I checked a day or two ago late night Asura had around 4x the players online that Nasomi was reporting on their website. ~1900 to ~500.

'Course on live servers they'll be very top-heavy but that's okay since you don't need low-level players for low-level content, the absolute worst part of XI imo is having to play it with other people. Not really though it feels that way sometimes, it's much more chill when I'm exping solo because yeah I can understand the appeal of just wandering around killing mobs for a bit and doing some mindless grinding, but to me that goes hand-in-hand with having a life that I might occasionally want to get up for my chair and not schedule my life around other people and worry about them going AFK or my going AFK inconveniencing them or the healer logging out for the night or whatever. But there's still plenty of group content it's just all at the top end now, which is how I think I like it.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 10, 2018

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

x4 the players online doing strict solo or endgame OR doing content that you may not

Basically Nasomi feels like PS2 FFXI launch where the getting was good. Low wait times for parties, unless the zone is packed like Dunes was last night. Highly likely to see a PL. Linkshells jumping at chances to grab a party.

Makes a guy feel needed and desired.

The far endgame players are not often on site (granted I am only in the Bastok area...)

I actually enjoy playing with others. I enjoy having some kind of bonding experience with some people and if we are in similar skill sets you can know what to expect.

We can go back and forth on why one or the other is better, but I’m not going to change your mind, and you aren’t going to change mine. You dislike pre-Abyssea XI and I don’t mind it.

Does Nasomi have some things that bother me? Yea. For example I don’t like that EXP rings don’t work. I got over it fairly quick though. Am I looking forward to wanting Gear I can’t get with out an Alliance or high leveled parties? Not particularly. I may not even make it that long.

At least it is better than playing Far Cry 5.

hagie fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 10, 2018

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
One thing I don't like about the private servers is that they're very incomplete, too. They're missing a ton of content. They only have things going up to ToAU or some WoTG stuff at the very latest.

I've already done Zilart, CoP, etc. I would want to do stuff I haven't already done before. There's a ton of things I haven't seen or done, but almost all of that content is from 2007 and after. I have done pretty much everything there is to do in 2002-2006 FFXI.

That is aside from leveling all the jobs and doing every quest and forget that. Part of what made FFXI so fun to me was visiting new locations, fighting new monsters and doing storylines. I don't really want to start from square one and do all the same poo poo over. Especially with 75 cap rules.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

That is aside from leveling all the jobs and doing every quest and forget that. Part of what made FFXI so fun to me was visiting new locations, fighting new monsters and doing storylines. I don't really want to start from square one and do all the same poo poo over. Especially with 75 cap rules.

That's another thing I like about the modern 1-99 experience, when you have a full party of Trusts you can get away with a lot of stuff you couldn't really get away with in traditional EXP parties and find different camps instead of the "classic" areas, while the BG Wiki guide seems to prefer old standbys I found a few alternatives by looking at Grounds Tome entries and scouting out my own camps. No longer is a link or two a death sentence, the Trusts are pretty good at handling themselves, and you don't need to level up off IT mobs to get anywhere so linking or aggroing something that's T/VT is usually nbd. EXP rate is usually pretty good until you can't chain anymore.

And there's nobody who can tell you where the one true places to EXP are because gently caress you I'll do what I want. It's rather liberating.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 10, 2018

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

Anyone on to drop a pearl (is that a thing still? It's been a while)? I'm on Asura, as per the OP, my name is Starve.
I also am a dummy, and if searching a Linkshell is a thing I don't know how to.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Into the Ocean posted:

Anyone on to drop a pearl (is that a thing still? It's been a while)? I'm on Asura, as per the OP, my name is Starve.
I also am a dummy, and if searching a Linkshell is a thing I don't know how to.

i just looked for you but couldn't find you

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

Ah sorry, I just shutoff. Is there a name I should /sea for next time I'm on?

Into the Ocean fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

Figured it out. Nevermind.

Into the Ocean fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 11, 2018