Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Fortis posted:

Is there actually a good reason to do this? Is there actually a reward, or is it just for the advancement getting marked complete?

I know I'm overreacting but this is loving stupid. At least it seems to be optional, but the fact that it exists rubs me the wrong way.

For craaaaazy hits on your youtube LP when you go full in on it.

Remember, from what everyone said SevTech is absolutely built from the ground up to cater to youtube LPers. No one would probably want to do that if they’re jut playing a game, but lots of LPers would love to have a dumb thing to do they can then turn into a subject to fill air time with and a meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

BlondRobin posted:

For craaaaazy hits on your youtube LP when you go full in on it.

Remember, from what everyone said SevTech is absolutely built from the ground up to cater to youtube LPers. No one would probably want to do that if they’re jut playing a game, but lots of LPers would love to have a dumb thing to do they can then turn into a subject to fill air time with and a meme.

I keep forgetting that this pack's primary purpose is performance art.
If there's no reward then I will struggle valiantly against my wife's insistence that we 100% the advancements because gently caress that noise.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Fortis posted:

Is there actually a good reason to do this? Is there actually a reward, or is it just for the advancement getting marked complete?

I know I'm overreacting but this is loving stupid. At least it seems to be optional, but the fact that it exists rubs me the wrong way.

There's no reason to do it. There's quite a few little widgets that are grindy and optional, for a small quality of life bonus. Journeymap is the same way -- you can grind out a very expensive item in Age 2 to unlock journeymap, but you also just get it for free by pushing into Age 4.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fortis posted:

If there's no reward then I will struggle valiantly against my wife's insistence that we 100% the advancements because gently caress that noise.

Do it after you do literally everything else in the pack.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I love step assist but I can see people who aren't used to it getting tripped up by it, pun unintended.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

I love step assist but I can see people who aren't used to it getting tripped up by it, pun unintended.

It's been a great way to jump on farmland, but a lot of that is me having Prefab poop out houses that put glass blocks on the water block feeding them. So whenever I walk near them, STOMP STOMP STOMP.

dragonshardz posted:

Open Terrain Generator is cool and pretty lightweight.

OTG itself might be but I only see Biome Bundle for a means to create anything like a regular Overworld, and that poo poo craaawls.

Speaking of that, my computer is all of a year old and it's really struggling with 1.12.2. That's giving it something like 8GB of RAM. What the hell?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's been a great way to jump on farmland, but a lot of that is me having Prefab poop out houses that put glass blocks on the water block feeding them. So whenever I walk near them, STOMP STOMP STOMP.

OTG itself might be but I only see Biome Bundle for a means to create anything like a regular Overworld, and that poo poo craaawls.

Speaking of that, my computer is all of a year old and it's really struggling with 1.12.2. That's giving it something like 8GB of RAM. What the hell?

Low FPS? Turn mipmaps off. Mojang doesn't understand basic OpenGL programming.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Fortis posted:

You get credit for making it, you don't actually have to eat it.

In SevTech we're getting horrible block lag only when mining coal blocks. When I watch my friend mine it looks normal to me but not to him.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

It's kind of surprising me how playable Sevtech Ages is on 4GB of memory, once you disable smooth fonts, better foliage, and mo' bends, at least in age 0. Especially smooth fonts...that's been identified on reddit at the largest memory-eater.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Use chunk pregenerator. Also make sure you're using foam fix and betterfps.

Every world gen mod that does interesting things is going to slow down generation a ton, just save yourself some trouble and pregen it. It doesn't take long.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Speaking of, I like a lot of things about the various detail mods integrated into the modpack, and I mentioned before they illustrate how easily Minecraft could make itself prettier without much work. Better foliage isn't as big a performance hit as I expected and the particle mod that makes all particles into actual 3D voxels is a surprisingly good improvement.
My biggest problem is Mo'bends -- specifically with spiders. Even though it looks good it makes spiders harder to hit than ever, especially cave spiders. They've always had bad hitboxes but this turns it into an outright joke and getting hit by a dozen tiny spiders is not very fun.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Vib Rib posted:

My biggest problem is Mo'bends -- specifically with spiders. Even though it looks good it makes spiders harder to hit than ever, especially cave spiders. They've always had bad hitboxes but this turns it into an outright joke and getting hit by a dozen tiny spiders is not very fun.

I had to use a bow for the cave spiders in the TF mazes. Could not hit them at all with a melee weapon. Regular spiders was just a matter of getting the timing down.

That being said, I love Mo'bends and would not disable it for anything. Spiders feel appropriately spidery now.

Also, regarding the Twilight Forest maze secret treasure safe: I found that one can break maze blocks with about 20 seconds of hitting them with a quartz AIOT. If you tunnel into the center of the 3x3 treasure thing at the bedrock ceiling, you can safely get in there without triggering the pressure plates.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 6, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
As long as I'm complaining about mods, most of Astral Sorcery's guidebook is trying way too hard to be written "diegetically" and in-character and suffers from clarity a lot. I still don't know what a tree beacon does and any number of other things just use vague descriptions like "focuses the power of liquid starlight" but doesn't say to what purpose or via what mechanics. At least Thaumcraft usually had a plain language mechanical description after its fluff.

Ambaire posted:

Also, regarding the Twilight Forest maze secret treasure safe: I found that one can break maze blocks with about 20 seconds of hitting them with a quartz AIOT. If you tunnel into the center of the 3x3 treasure thing at the bedrock ceiling, you can safely get in there without triggering the pressure plates.
Personally I tunneled low and then mined out the TNT so it wouldn't go off if I accidentally hit a plate.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I made a tree farm with Botania and Thaumcraft 6!

Golems do the chopping and sapling delivery to the Rannuncarpus. The hopperhock is filtered to only pick up wood. No mana costs at all. Now I just need to figure out how best to make charcoal out of the wood and deliver it to my endoflames. Golem-based transport is certainly possible. Due to how seals work the golems in the wood farm won't be distracted by any seals I have outside the enclosure, so long as I designate the seal areas so they don't overlap the enclosure. Because of the overlap issue I had to use four Collect seals here to avoid overlapping the area around the Rannuncarpus the golem dumps saplings on. Otherwise it gets stuck in a loop picking up and putting down the saplings.

Seals are a vastly superior method of controlling golems, I have to say. Only problem is you can't plant more than one sapling per Use seal, so a tree farm this size would require somewhere around a stack of Use seals. A pure Thaumcraft tree farm is going to have to use greatwood saplings, simply because the wood-to-sapling ratio is very high.

Edit: LOL the trees grow way too fast for the chopper golem to keep up, I need to scale this back. Or switch to birch I guess.

Edit2: Dammit the Empty seal has no area to select. No idea what its range is. I'm guessing it's just whatever visual range golems have.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 7, 2018

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
In Sevtech I just spent a couple hours grinding out screw pumps and gear boxes / axles so I could lift water up to my base's z level and then aqueduct it the 50 or so blocks from the sea. Except it turns out the Better with Mods screw pump doesn't create a water block that is recognized by the Better with Addons aqueduct, despite them being in the same mod family. Am I missing something here? It seems like lifting the water first would be one of the only ways anyone would even bother with the aqueduct. Am I supposed to run it underground from the sea and then lift it up? That seems a stupidly unintuitive solution to a problem created by removing infinite water in the name of realism.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nevets posted:

In Sevtech I just spent a couple hours grinding out screw pumps and gear boxes / axles so I could lift water up to my base's z level and then aqueduct it the 50 or so blocks from the sea. Except it turns out the Better with Mods screw pump doesn't create a water block that is recognized by the Better with Addons aqueduct, despite them being in the same mod family. Am I missing something here? It seems like lifting the water first would be one of the only ways anyone would even bother with the aqueduct. Am I supposed to run it underground from the sea and then lift it up? That seems a stupidly unintuitive solution to a problem created by removing infinite water in the name of realism.

BWM and BWA are made by two different mod authors. They don't necessarily collaborate.

You probably don't want to hear this after having spent so much time on it, but just push through to age 2, which gets you a clay bucket for moving source blocks (as well as access to the Water Sigil from blood magic, if you swing that way.) In the interim, what helped me was to just move my wooden basin out to a platform over an infinite water source location, and do all my mixing there.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ohh just came across something super good.

Second time running a pack with Psi. I was holding off as i couldnt be bothered leveling it up. So i finally bit the bullet today. It auto detects my previous level from another game.

Very nice.

Agriculture, take note, yes i do want 10/10/10 seeds straight away from now...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

ohh just came across something super good.

Second time running a pack with Psi. I was holding off as i couldnt be bothered leveling it up. So i finally bit the bullet today. It auto detects my previous level from another game.

Very nice.

Agriculture, take note, yes i do want 10/10/10 seeds straight away from now...

I would be okay with a block that took bone meal as an input to upgrade a seed over time

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For 1.10 what is a go to mod if I want things that explode a large area?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How? I've yet to have below 140 fps in 1.12.2 modded. It's great.

One big tip is to enable forge multi-core chunk rendering. It's a huge fps boost.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 7, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

IndustrialCraft2. Botania also has an end-game explodey thing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Define 'large'. Tinkers construct has EFLN, which is a spammable mining explosive that digs a spherical area 9 blocks across.

Alternately, for LARGE, Abyssalcraft Oblivion Deathbombs. Or just detonate a DracEv reactor.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ambaire posted:

. Or just detonate a DracEv reactor.

This is the true answer.

(Be aware: your game may very well crash when you do this. Go have a coffee, read a comic, then come back. It's not actually broken, it's just stuck doing all the maths)

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Felt like playing some minecraft after a taking a couple of years off and it seems nobody uses the Technic launcher anymore. Where a people getting their modpacks nowadays?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

SevTech is starting to slow down for me. I got to Age 4, but am running into several as-yet-unfixed bugs. The biggest bug is that there's no way to legitimately acquire Certus Quartz. There's a Geolysis vein for "assorted quartz," but it only ever drops nether quartz. Silk touching it yields nether quartz blocks. Since you need fluix to make an AE2 inscriber to progress, I'm stuck until the bug is fixed (or I cheat in a bunch of certus.) There are also blocks in the End with the pink and black checkered texture that crash Minecraft if you look at them up close (WAILA throws a NPE on what I'm guessing is an unimplemented block.) I might put SevTech away for a bit until the bugs are fixed.
New patch notes suggest this was fixed, though I'm not far enough along to test it myself.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Achernar posted:

Felt like playing some minecraft after a taking a couple of years off and it seems nobody uses the Technic launcher anymore. Where a people getting their modpacks nowadays?

The Twitch client is the gold standard right now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

New patch notes suggest this was fixed, though I'm not far enough along to test it myself.

Yeah, I confirmed this for myself. However, if you hadn't gotten to the ender dragon yet, it doesn't appear to be spawning properly. Whoops!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

McFrugal posted:

The Twitch client is the gold standard right now.

Yep. Although I use MultiMC to create my own instances (create the same minecraft version, then just copy the instance folder from Twitch to MultiMC) just so I can have cyberage conveniences like desktop shortcuts. It also makes the installation more stable in exchange of losing auto-updates since sometimes that breaks things.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Twitch auto-updates? I've always had to click a button to get that to happen.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Twitch auto-updates? I've always had to click a button to get that to happen.

It's a lot more guided than "download a whole new pack, install it to the right place, register it with multimc, and make sure you are using the right forge version."

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

CurseTwitch has a few major benefits over the Technic launcher. First and foremost is easy, lazy differential updates. Technic may have done it first with Solder, but Solder's a giant pain in the rear end to set up and run, while CurseTwitch is easy. The other major benefit is that it doesn't nuke your options or mods you install on top of the pack when you do an update, unlike non-Solder packs on Technic.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Does the Alfheim portal not consume mana passively anymore? The book no longer mentions this, only a per-transaction cost.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Does the Alfheim portal not consume mana passively anymore? The book no longer mentions this, only a per-transaction cost.

Correct; the running cost was removed, and the per-transaction cost was its replacement. You still need a decent chunk of mana to wrench it open, but after that it just sits there, devouring your TPS for no reason, until you throw something in. Also, if you run out of mana, it'll just hold on to whatever you've put in safely until you give it more.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh, cool, there's a new Thermal mod now: Thermal Innovation. Looks to be a collection of tools like drills and stuff.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I need help with anstral sorc.

I am up to a celestial alter, but dont have nearly enough starlight to now craft anything.

I have set up 8 spectral relays (had 4) in a circle about the altar. The middle of the relay is 10 blocks from the altar. Is that too far? (i have placed the AS glass lens's in the relays.)

It may also be something with my game as i finsihed last night being 100% unable to turn iron ore into starmetal ore. A problem that fixed itself when i loaded today as the ore block turned within a few seconds, and i was able to do a couple of blocks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
At the celestial stage, location and height are your biggest contributors. Use the resonator to find a patch that's both foggy and starry, and then build up to like y=240 and make your altar there. Should get you almost all the recipes you need at least until iridescent, at which point relays/lenses might help -- but if you want real boosts I think you're expected to redirect celestial collector crystals via lenses.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You don't need to build up to y240 if that's inconvenient, but you do need it on the starfield correctly. Once you can make floating crystals you can use them to boost the star power too by linking them to the altar. Note: the stats of the rock crystal you use to make the floating crystal with affect its output, and the blue crystals are, on average, far superior to regular ones.

Also if you have relays too close to each other they'll have diminishing returns. And they need to be within.. 16 blocks of the altar I think?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The y-level bonus of an altar caps out at 120. Relays also interfere with each other if they are too close; four of them, one in each cardinal direction, works for me.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I think i just have a super sucky area for it. There is nothing in the sky, and being a skyblock i cant just run around till i find something.

I ended up with about 10 floating crystals through a lens, and even that was a waste.

I think im over the pack though, and im barely through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
You can just connect the crystals directly to the altar. This avoids the lens diminishing the starlight via lack of purity/cutting. Usually a max size crystal shining directly on the altar is enough to craft the stuff you need before going for the blue ones max size