Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

How long ago is it anyway? We only know they've left the Garden 6 months ago. Maybe there is accelerated growth going on?

I'm going to guess 9 years. Why? Because the Stelizia is a flower used to signify the 9th anniversary of a wedding and if this moment is when the fates of Hiro and 02 become intertwined, it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I am learning so much about flowers with this anime, and frankly I'm happy to have the opportunity.

And 9 years sounds like as long enough time for a child to make very strong memories with someone but also kinda forget who they were with, cause memory is weird like that.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

I'm going to guess 9 years. Why? Because the Stelizia is a flower used to signify the 9th anniversary of a wedding and if this moment is when the fates of Hiro and 02 become intertwined, it makes sense.

Would fit. The picture book at the end of the previous episode hints at 02’s age being around 16.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarlingInTheFranxx/comments/88o2hj/spoiler_flashback_picture_book/

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Understanding posted:

And 9 years sounds like as long enough time for a child to make very strong memories with someone but also kinda forget who they were with, cause memory is weird like that.
There's been some pretty heavy foreshadowing that he got his memory wiped when he was young.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
As hard up as APE is about control, Hiro’s free spirit was probably already attracting attention. Breaking out 02 and possibly trying to escape would explain why they would tamper with his brain.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

PMush Perfect posted:

There's been some pretty heavy foreshadowing that he got his memory wiped when he was young.

Yeah I thought it was pretty much all but a given by the end of the last ep. All the focus on the promise to Mitsuru before that started me wondering.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Willias posted:

Would fit. The picture book at the end of the previous episode hints at 02’s age being around 16.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarlingInTheFranxx/comments/88o2hj/spoiler_flashback_picture_book/

Speaking of the picture book, there's been a translation floating around of the text.

quote:

とある国のまっくらな森のその奥に、
In a pitch-black forest in a certain land, deep inside it.
ひとつの種族がひっそりと暮らしていました.
A race lived in isolation.
背中に大きな翼を持つ彼らは美しく
How beautiful were they whose backs held magnificient wings,
しかし“魔物”と呼ばれる存在でした。
Yet "demons" was how such an existence was called.
そこで暮らす魔物の娘。その背中には
In their midst lived a daughter of demon. On her back,
大きく成長した灰色の翼がありました。
a pair of grown, big ashen wings.
彼らは16の歳になると、その翼で
Once they reach the age of 16, with those wings on their backs
森の外まで飛ぶ事が許されていました
Flying to the outside of the forest was at last allowed.
But 02 approaching her 16th birthday and freaking out because she sees that as her deadline fits. Getting the mirror just intensified her own self loathing for her inhuman features.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I kinda meant that about 02

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the preview is out

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/981819179480182784?s=19

looks like this week is 100% flashback and Dr Franxx was his same old-rear end half robot self back when everyone was at the Garden

Tiny Zero-Two is pretty adorable.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The important thing I notice is she still has eyes, though not knowing if she'll transform any further at that stage.

Klaxosaurs and stampeding FranXX either have no eyes or X's for eyes. Just realized some significance in "XX" eyes too.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

so maybe she's just unwilling to return to being a red oni. I really want to know what happened to 02 after she lost Hiro the first time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Understanding posted:

so maybe she's just unwilling to return to being a red oni. I really want to know what happened to 02 after she lost Hiro the first time.

APE likely tried to make Ichigo or Naomi fill in the blank that was 002 so their special specimen Hiro could be used to disastrous results.

02, on the other hand, might have just forgotten Hiro for the most part and became bitter in just chomping any man they pared her with or was always hoping that she'd meet him again depending on how little Hiro bonded with her.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Episode 13 is out.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Whoever called the code numbers were like the d-ratio in BoF:Draqon Quarter, graz.

Also a great episode overall.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 7, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is amazing just how the show manages to remain both messed up and adorable.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
oh my god this episode was so good. i'm not crying, you're crying.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

that was legitimately hard to watch in some places but worth it in the end :unsmith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well. That explains a lot about Zero Two's obsessions, I suppose.

Including why she didn't want to get a name.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Aaaaaa why did you have to end it there. :f5:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

Aaaaaa why did you have to end it there. :f5:

Because that's where this part of the story ends.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Holy poo poo that was amazing. I am dying to see what comes next!!

I can't help but wonder why the show started out so crude though. Is this a theme that is going to play out somehow as the show goes on?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, drat, there is going to be hell to pay when Hiro realizes what the adults did.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

There Bias Two posted:

Holy poo poo that was amazing. I am dying to see what comes next!!

I can't help but wonder why the show started out so crude though. Is this a theme that is going to play out somehow as the show goes on?

Episode 2 was a sledgehammer to the face of "THIS IS THE METAPHOR, DO YOU GET IT" so they could do the story they wanted to do.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, drat, there is going to be hell to pay when Hiro realizes what the adults did.

I'm also interested in seeing what exactly 02 went through to change her appearance.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

aww that was adorbz-dorbz

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The candy reaction was the best. Now we know why she chugs syrup.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 7, 2018

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I can be your Hiro baby
I can kiss away the pain
I will stand by you forever
You can take my breath away

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Darling was blotted out from the picture books during the ED. I think.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

Well. That explains a lot about Zero Two's obsessions, I suppose.

Including why she didn't want to get a name.

Why would she want a name when she already has one? Also this episode has made me rewatch earlier scenes which make so much more sense with the context of that flashback.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Understanding posted:

Darling was blotted out from the picture books during the ED. I think.

Yeah, it was cut out during the flashback too. I'm not sure what that's about...

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

this episode is getting thousands of comments all over the internet

if it wasn't clear already, darling is the breakout show this season

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, it was cut out during the flashback too. I'm not sure what that's about...

Maybe it's another word with the syllable Da.
Danna?

I'm sad Hiro couldn't think of a better name for Zero Two.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Lurking Haro posted:

Danna?

You could see him consider Oni, but even child Hiro seemed to think it might have been too on the nose. Also that goes against her theme of trying to become human.

Also also, seeing how they have some romantic feelings, it would be really offputting if he called her onee.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 7, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Danna?

It wasn't that he couldn't think of anything else. He even tried out Oni. It's that once she heard Zero Two, she liked it too much to give it up.

And man. That really explains her attitude when Hiro said he was really good at names. If he really WAS her Darling, he just treated it as something he did for everyone, nothing worth remembering. If he wasn't, he was trying to steal her Darling's place.

Either way, not a good look.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Tekne posted:

this episode is getting thousands of comments all over the internet

if it wasn't clear already, darling is the breakout show this season

this show has an entire cour of buildup, it kinda deserves it with this episode.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

aww that was adorbz-dorbz

The only downside of this episode is that some of the cutest moments are just as much about audio as they are about visuals.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Woof, what an episode. If they had just thrown this out there without all of the buildup they've done it wouldn't have been nearly as good, but the info in this episode recontextualizes pretty much every interaction 02 and Hiro have had in the season.

This show is really good.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Calvin Coolposts posted:

oh my god this episode was so good. i'm not crying, you're crying.

Goddammit, this.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The ending would have come of as painfully generic but with all the buildup and explanations it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hunt11 posted:

The ending would have come of as painfully generic but with all the buildup and explanations it works.

Yeah, I think this is what impresses me the most. It's a very common plot twist and everyone saw it coming a mile away but it doesn't matter because the power behind the scene is all the effort they've put into these characters rather than the twist itself.

• Locked thread