Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best SMS app out there?

Ideally:
-imports my old texts including groups
-sends media at high res to others with the app
-encryption/fingerprint access would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

smoobles posted:

Ideally:

Importing I do with SMS Backup+ (formly carbonite I think). High res is dependant on your carrier and protocol, you have to support RCS or MMS will compress poo poo. Same with encryption, you're going beyond the realm of SMS. Maybe try WhatsApp? It does all that by default and there's a reason a lot of the world uses it as a primary messaging app.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Does WhatsApp send regular SMS to non WhatsApp users too?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

smoobles posted:

Does WhatsApp send regular SMS to non WhatsApp users too?

No, so I recognize it doesn't meet your need as it's not SMS. Sorry, there's just not really anything that does what you say because media resolution and encryption are dependent on the protocol. SMS/MMS doesn't do that. RCS is fantastic and does high res media and encryption, but it's not widespread yet and is carrier and device dependent :(

Carbonite/SMS Backup+ is really good for your backup needs though!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

smoobles posted:

Ideally:

No idea about group SMS because I've never needed that, but Signal should be able to do everything else.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tamba posted:

No idea about group SMS because I've never needed that, but Signal should be able to do everything else.

How does Signal send high res media over SMS/MMS?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Thanks for the clarity, it sounds like what I'm looking for doesn't quite exist

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

How does Signal send high res media over SMS/MMS?

He asked for:
"sends media at high res to others with the app", or did I parse that sentence wrong?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Textra will let you set the maximum mms size in the settings so should theoretically let you get the highest resolution possible from your carrier

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tamba posted:

He asked for:
"sends media at high res to others with the app", or did I parse that sentence wrong?

He/she asked

smoobles posted:

So it's completely fair to assume he's not asking for a non-SMS based communications method. SMS/MMS is a protocol so things like media resolution, encryption, etc, are dependent on the protocol. RCS addresses these but is rolling out so slow. I think only one carrier, Rogers, has it in Canada.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Signal lets you send higher resolution media to others with Signal? That would work great.

To be totally clear, what I'm really looking for is the Android version of iMessage so I can send my wife (also on Android) full res videos of our dogs but also text everyone else from the same app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

smoobles posted:

Signal lets you send higher resolution media to others with Signal? That would work great.

To be totally clear, what I'm really looking for is the Android version of iMessage so I can send my wife (also on Android) full res videos of our dogs but also text everyone else from the same app.

I use Hangouts for this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I use Hangouts for this.

Wasn't Hangouts going to remove SMS support? Did that ever happen?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

sms works with google voice at the very least because I still use it

E: fi and google voice only

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

CLAM DOWN posted:

Its app store page says it can do SMS from a Google Voice number, but it sounds like otherwise SMS support went a year ago. Android Messages supports RCS, so that's an option if smoobles and their wife are on a carrier that supports it.

Maybe not the most palatable option in light of recent news, but I think Facebook Messenger still does SMS. (Edit: it does)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Ohhh okay, we don't have either of those in Canada so I didn't know :(

e: RCS is definitely the best option here but yeah, it's entirely dependent on carrier support and you have to have a modern device too iirc

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blue Train posted:

I ways forget that I do things with my phone that only work because I'm on Google voice.

This is largely because Google voice is so transparent.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I ways forget that I do things with my phone that only work because I'm on Google voice.

This is largely because Google voice is so transparent.

Yea it's really really good and I'm glad they haven't killed it off

Re: twitter

quote:

According to the Twitter developer’s blog, the company will be removing access to the “streaming services” portion of its API starting on June 19, 2018. What that essentially means is that any app that features a Twitter feed as part of its primary function (like every single app on this list) will no longer be able to send push notifications or automatically refresh the feed.

And from their api documentation

quote:

Another key difference you will notice in regards to data being delivered is that Twitter will no longer send events from people that you follow on Twitter. This was an intentional change and is not something we plan to alter going forward.

So :rip: third party twitter clients I guess

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

They kinda reversed on that. https://www.cnet.com/news/twitter-says-it-wont-break-third-party-twitter-apps-june-19/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Now they just have to get rid of that asinine token limit for 3rd party apps.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I do love Flamingo but guess it's going to be dormant for a while until the dev comes out with a slightly different version for refreshed tokens.

If anyone is from the Symbian days, Gravity was by far the best Twitter client. The Android version it's pretty cool. It's an RSS reader too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mobileways.gravityforever

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

smoobles posted:

It does.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Tamba posted:

It does.

It does. Ignore these spergs. Install Signal for extra security or WhatsApp for more users and features. They're both fine.

Keep using whatever for normal text messaging.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

I do love Flamingo but guess it's going to be dormant for a while until the dev comes out with a slightly different version for refreshed tokens.

Sam Ruston has already said he's not going to do that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FunOne posted:

It does. Ignore these spergs. Install Signal for extra security or WhatsApp for more users and features. They're both fine.

Keep using whatever for normal text messaging.

"ignore these spergs. Also install Signal for greater security!" :rolleyes:

If we're relaxing the requirements so that the high res photos or videos don't need to actually send as SMS, just use Hangouts.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Hangouts always compressed the gently caress out of my pictures

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

"ignore these spergs. Also install Signal for greater security!" :rolleyes:

Well, security is the only meaningful differentiator between those two items that is in Signals favor. It was already mentioned, so it gets included. Plus with the whole Facebook nonsense going on some people are pretending to give a poo poo.

Use WhatsApp. A billion people do. It's fine. It does group chats well. You can send photos and gifs. They look fine when they come through. It's plenty secure. It's owned by Facebook but who cares and they can't read your messages.

Hangouts is becoming an Enterprise product and is being abandoned for regular users. Allo has no traction. Telegram has nerd cred but few users. Line isn't popular in the west. WeChat is group chat involving the Chinese secret police. Signal has no users and is short on features. SnapChat is only useful to talk to people under 30. Facebook messenger flat out admitted they scan your messages for advertising. Instagram and Twitter have chat but are social first, chat second.

But yeah, let's keep talking about RCS. That'll help.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

Hangouts always compressed the gently caress out of my pictures

It does just fine if you're sending to other Hangouts users, which is what we're talking about.

FunOne posted:

Well, security is the only meaningful differentiator between those two items that is in Signals favor. It was already mentioned, so it gets included. Plus with the whole Facebook nonsense going on some people are pretending to give a poo poo.

Use WhatsApp. A billion people do. It's fine. It does group chats well. You can send photos and gifs. They look fine when they come through. It's plenty secure. It's owned by Facebook but who cares and they can't read your messages.

Hangouts is becoming an Enterprise product and is being abandoned for regular users. Allo has no traction. Telegram has nerd cred but few users. Line isn't popular in the west. WeChat is group chat involving the Chinese secret police. Signal has no users and is short on features. SnapChat is only useful to talk to people under 30. Facebook messenger flat out admitted they scan your messages for advertising. Instagram and Twitter have chat but are social first, chat second.

Who is the sperg now?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

FunOne posted:

Plus with the whole Facebook nonsense going on some people are pretending to give a poo poo.

It's owned by Facebook but who cares

:thunk:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Facebook-owned messaging giant WhatsApp  has announced a big change to its privacy policy which, once a user accepts its new T&Cs, will see it start to share some user data with its parent company — including for ad-targeting purposes on the latter service.

“[B]y coordinating more with Facebook, we’ll be able to do things like track basic metrics about how often people use our services and better fight spam on WhatsApp,” WhatsApp writes in a blog on the change today.

“Facebook can offer better friend suggestions and show you more relevant ads if you have an account with them. For example, you might see an ad from a company you already work with, rather than one from someone you’ve never heard of.”

WhatsApp will also be sharing the data with the “Facebook family of companies” — so presumably its user data could also be fed to VR firm Oculus Rift, another Fb acquisition, and photo-sharing network Instagram.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FunOne posted:

Lol, this post.

The original person wants to talk to ONE other person with the ability to send them pictures...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Not only was the original dude asking about SMS specifically which your app suggestion isn't, WhatsApp actually implements the Signal Protocol (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Protocol) and is secure just fine, barring some insane rants about Facebook because of course that's the topic du jour.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not only was the original dude asking about SMS specifically which your app suggestion isn't, WhatsApp actually implements the Signal Protocol (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Protocol) and is secure just fine, barring some insane rants about Facebook because of course that's the topic du jour.

Being uncomfortable about Facebook owning them is the opposite of insane. Data from whatsapp is given directly to Facebook.

No one should be telling anyone else to install whatsapp. Use other, better things like signal and telegram.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

Being uncomfortable about Facebook owning them is the opposite of insane. Data from whatsapp is given directly to Facebook.

No one should be telling anyone else to install whatsapp. Use other, better things like signal and telegram.

I disagree but I think that discussion is quite out of the scope of their thread. Let's move on from this derail eh?

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 8, 2018

revolther
May 27, 2008
Email is the solution.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I use the postal service for my communications like God intended

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Has anyone switched from Nova to Action Launcher? Nova improvements and updates have kinda petered out and I'm tired of some things missing like folder grid sizes, so thought about trying an alternative.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Action launcher is good but I don't think you can change the folder grid size, it seems to automatically change depending on how many apps you have in it. This is the only setting for it. I don't use folders but I threw in a couple of apps it went from two by two to three by three before I got sick of adding more in

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Isn't Telegram the one that uses homebrew encryption that was already broken? Or am I thinking of something else? (Or did they switch it to SHA256 or something?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Isn't Telegram the one that uses homebrew encryption that was already broken? Or am I thinking of something else? (Or did they switch it to SHA256 or something?)

Correct.

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/49782/is-telegram-secure
https://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1177.pdf
https://gizmodo.com/why-you-should-stop-using-telegram-right-now-1782557415