Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Look at these hipsters trying to say people enjoy things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
This is credited in the voice cast of Magical Girl Site.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=54491

Also listed on the official site too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

bad things come in pairs

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Endorph posted:

i dont know why i thought that girl was korean, in hindsight.

are there any korean characters in anime? their absence is really weird. you have chinese, filo, indian people in anime, but not koreans? the biggest ethnic minority in japan, a huge portion of the credits for inbetween work, and they're completely invisible in the medium?

there's plenty of korean culture in japan, esp in osaka where i spent alot of time

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hyouge mono has koreans, nerima daikon brothers has a korean villain

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Largepotato posted:

This is credited in the voice cast of Magical Girl Site.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=54491

Also listed on the official site too.

she's playing one of the site admins, yeah

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
One of the villains in Psycho Pass season 1 was Korean.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The only Koreans I can think of are the refugees in GitS SAC season 2.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Psycho Pass 1 had a Korean antagonist as mentioned. I quite liked him.

Anime in general doesn't want to touch on Korean characters out of worry of sales dropping and the nationalistic backlash it would get.

Hell the www .working (the one based on the webcomic) anime had a character switch their background characteristic. Kouki Saiki was a Japanese guy who was brought up in Korean and speaks Korean but was changed to a Japanese guy who lived in overseas and speaks english instead.

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 7, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro has an elite Korean DJ introduce our protagonist to the pleasures of EDM (and Korean food).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i remember picking up lil packs of kimchi from the supermarkets and it was nbd, people like that stuff, even if its not as heavily fermented as the original

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

More like Magical Girl Yikes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*discord voice* Magical Girl Shite

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
megalobox was loving rad and its story was paced perfectly, just a slow ramping up of tension and hype until you feel like scraeming the protag's name

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

chumbler posted:

I'd watch 'I can't Believe my Magical Cyborg Harem Fantasy has so Much Paperwork!'.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

More like Magical Girl Yikes

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Amanchu Advance is more Amanchu and that's good.

Looks like show was done in advance too so it's not suffering from Sato doing Precure or hurting Sato from doing more on Precure :woop:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the first episode of devil's line is a decent adaptation of a manga i really enjoyed. but they threw in a bunch of anime original content to drag out the adaptation of a chapter, so i am hoping they either pick up the pace or are planning a two cour series. because otherwise this is gonna get nowhere in the story

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

are there any korean characters in anime? their absence is really weird. you have chinese, filo, indian people in anime, but not koreans? the biggest ethnic minority in japan, a huge portion of the credits for inbetween work, and they're completely invisible in the medium?

there's plenty of korean culture in japan, esp in osaka where i spent alot of time
Akatsuki no Yona is an entire series where everyone is fantasy-Korean, except I guess the vaguely mentioned foreigners, who'd be Chinese going by their geographical location in relation to the main kingdoms? It's based on the Three Kingdoms of Korea, anyway.

Sword Art Online has a couple of korean side characters in the Mother's Rosario arc.

Also from what I can tell koreans love Maki from Love Live because her VA is half-korean, so clearly that counts.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I wanted to watch MHA again before the new stuff and it made me realize... maybe MHA isn't that good? Like it is fun enough to be a watchable weekly shounen theng but gosh nothing happens ever forever and there's like one good action thing per half a dozen episodes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

kater posted:

I wanted to watch MHA again before the new stuff and it made me realize... maybe MHA isn't that good? Like it is fun enough to be a watchable weekly shounen theng but gosh nothing happens ever forever and there's like one good action thing per half a dozen episodes.

Vigilantes is better but neither are my favorite shonen.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

kater posted:

The anime pads things a bit, and in the first season more than a bit. The manga is actually quite fast-paced.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

kater posted:

If you wanted to get bombarded with endless action for twelve episodes straight wouldn't you be exhausted at the end?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first season of mha is kind of bad

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
trip report, hinamatsuri was delightful, real good comedic beats, directing in general and the two main characters have a good dynamic so far. definitely sticking with this one.

sword art online alternative gun gale: sword art online is good now. though the first episode was basically pubg the anime this showed a lot of promise and didn't really have any of the most glaring horrible flaws of SAO (misogyny, grossness, power fantasy bullshit). the main character actually had a sense of vulnerability to her even if she ended up being a bit OP in the very ending fight sequence. it didn't really explore any of the character dynamics that were set up in the promotional materials yet (mostly just focused on gun fights) so i'm looking forward to where this is going.

looks like i have a good amount of shows to keep up with at least for now this season. currently sticking with: lupin III, megalo box, comic girls, sword art online, hinamatsuri and devil's line. of what's left most looking forward to hisone to maso-tan and (probably naively) hoping that steins gate 0 and persona 5 won't suck

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Grouchio posted:

If you wanted to get bombarded with endless action for twelve episodes straight wouldn't you be exhausted at the end?

Nah. Occultic;Nine had a breakneck pace and it was one of the best things about that show. Sometimes you just wanna go fast!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

gun gale is the one that has some sort of overlap with kino staff right

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

gun gale is the one that has some sort of overlap with kino staff right

Same writer as the original Kino's Journey light novels, yeah.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

well i dont watch seasonal anime until they end usually but for when it does, do i need to have any familiarity with the original sword art beyond general pop culture osmosis of the premise and characters and the girl with aids

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the first season of mha is kind of bad

this

It thought it was good at the time but the second season is much much better. Hopefully the third season continues the trend.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

well i dont watch seasonal anime until they end usually but for when it does, do i need to have any familiarity with the original sword art beyond general pop culture osmosis of the premise and characters and the girl with aids

No but you need to know a lot about conterstrike and siege. Don't worry I have a quiz that will help.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Always be fuzing

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
First episode of Amanchu Advance wasted no time in getting sort of gay. Comic Girls has the most insecure main character I've ever seen and it's kind of hard to like her.

edit: maybe that's being too harsh. Intense personal insecurity is a pretty real artist experience

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I was going to actually find a which operator are you quiz and ask each q in sequence but it's like 20 questions long so no.

As far as I know the spinoff is unrelated to regular sword art and I'm excited to see it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

afaik it doesn't have any relation beyond the broad setting, none of the original characters show up and there's no life or death crisis going on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Comic Girls has the most insecure main character I've ever seen and it's kind of hard to like her.

edit: maybe that's being too harsh. Intense personal insecurity is a pretty real artist experience

my main issue is that its presented more as a gag and she kind of sweeps up other characters in it, as opposed to it being treated like a reasonable character trait. there's some very relatable/true to life stuff in there (the line with her being accused of never talking to a girl in real life is like the most 'female artist' thing ever) but she's pretty infantilized so its kinda hard to see her as a serious professional struggling with her craft. aoba in new game was a cute blob too but she at least seemed like a functioning adult with an actual career goal.

now that everyone's shticks have been established hopefully they'll focus in more on the inside baseball/seriously trying to be good at their craft stuff, since that was the best part of the first episode, with the weakest stuff being the seventeen gags about her crying. i could get it when her editor was chewing her out but when its over basically nothing it just reads like they aren't really treating her as any kind of real character.

edit: okay the actual weakest gag was the boobgrope. on the other hand i do legitimately like the running metagag of each character trying to wrap the show itself up into the tone of whatever their manga is. when kaos is the focus it's mostly gags, when the blonde is the focus everyone gets tons of sparkly eyeshots, etc.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 7, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I liked the new game comic but the drawing girls one was so bland I couldnt get through it. You got into the head of the new game cast a lot better I feel, multiple chapters in the drawing girls were just these kind of blank archtypes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Main character in Gun Gale is clearly a scumbag Oddjob picker.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My favorite girls doing a very specific thing comic was the board game girls comic cause they would go into these extremely elaborate fantasy sequences to illustrate the games they were playing. The multi part werewolf chapter was Incredibly ltense and dramatic and funny cause they would keep cutting out of the fantasy to show the reality of an eliminated player sulking away from the table

It hasn't been translated in forever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

My favorite girls doing a very specific thing comic was the board game girls comic cause they would go into these extremely elaborate fantasy sequences to illustrate the games they were playing. The multi part werewolf chapter was Incredibly ltense and dramatic and funny cause they would keep cutting out of the fantasy to show the reality of an eliminated player sulking away from the table

It hasn't been translated in forever though.

What was the name of that one? I keep meaning to read it but forgot.

• Locked thread