Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Thanks everybody, I’ll start checking these out.

Sorry for being unclear, even one other person would work with the systems we’re familiar with but wonky schedules made it unworkable so far. Just a little something to scratch the itch with the two of us is just what we need, whether it’s two PCs or a 1 PC and GM situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Speaking of Stars Without Number, is the revised edition much different from the initial release version? I heard that they improved ship combat dramatically but beyond that I was wondering if there were any other changes the revised edition had which were major?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SkySteak posted:

Speaking of Stars Without Number, is the revised edition much different from the initial release version? I heard that they improved ship combat dramatically but beyond that I was wondering if there were any other changes the revised edition had which were major?

By no means an exhaustive comparison, but if it helps here's the page from the SWN revised rulebook (the free version) re: conversion from the old system:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: No-GM games, there's also things like the Mythic GM Emulator (ignore the book with a rule system, it works fine as an overlay for your favourite system), which uses a series of randomisers to answer questions about the current in-game situation.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

M.c.P posted:

This seems a good enough place to ask as I can’t find the ‘recommend a system’ thread.

My SO and I love us some tabletop but our wonky schedules make it hard to join regular weekly games. We’ve tried FATE with just the two of us but I got exhausted trying to be both GM and a character.

Anyone have any ideas for 2 person RPGs? I mostly run into the fact that most recent systems focus on teamwork and it’s hard to do unless we play multiple characters:
If you mind stretching the term RPG, check out Gloomhaven.

On very much the opposite end of the spectrum Danger Patrol works well GMless (you want the one listed as Beta, not the pocket danger patrol)

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Drone posted:

By no means an exhaustive comparison, but if it helps here's the page from the SWN revised rulebook (the free version) re: conversion from the old system:

Thank you, that is useful to know!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Heartbreaker: A game that advertises itself as attempting to improve on a "status quo" game but actually mostly just duplicates past innovations and has no hope of succeeding against the network effect of the established game.

Backbreaker: A game with intensely complicated rules that also expects the GM to come up with characters and situations defined in terms of those complex rules on the fly (eg, Shadowrun, HERO system)

Armbreaker: A game with an enormous heavy book, especially if self-published or crowdfunded thus avoiding the services of an editor (eg, HERO System, City of Mist, Chuubo's)

Legbreaker: From "break a leg", a game that sounds much better when podcasted than when played.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

hyphz posted:

Heartbreaker: A game that advertises itself as attempting to improve on a "status quo" game but actually mostly just duplicates past innovations and has no hope of succeeding against the network effect of the established game.

Backbreaker: A game with intensely complicated rules that also expects the GM to come up with characters and situations defined in terms of those complex rules on the fly (eg, Shadowrun, HERO system)

Armbreaker: A game with an enormous heavy book, especially if self-published or crowdfunded thus avoiding the services of an editor (eg, HERO System, City of Mist, Chuubo's)

Legbreaker: From "break a leg", a game that sounds much better when podcasted than when played.

What's a good example of that last one? I'm guessing Dread, FATE, and the FFG Star Wars games?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

theironjef posted:

What's a good example of that last one? I'm guessing Dread, FATE, and the FFG Star Wars games?

Knowing Hyphz, Apocalypse World. :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

theironjef posted:

5e

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

theironjef posted:

Dread plays fine? Why would anyone do an audio recording of a game where half the tension is watching a Jenga tower wiggle around while you pull a brick out?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Heartstaker: Like a Heartbreaker but the game they're trying to reach back and emulate is Vampire: The Masquerade.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

I was actually going to say 5e. I haven't actually played AW to know for sure..

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Dread plays fine? Why would anyone do an audio recording of a game where half the tension is watching a Jenga tower wiggle around while you pull a brick out?

As a game with only one real mechanic it's perfect for AP, which is really just a crutch people use to avoid the reality that they're just improv'ing a story.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Well, yes, improving a story is ultimately what pen and paper RPGs are for that's not really in dispute, but Dread's whole point is the visual of the Jenga tower. That'd be fine for those games hosted as Youtube videos, but wouldn't that lead to a lot of dead air on a podcast while people wait for the draw to happen?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Please, Pulp Fiction is clearly a game of Fiasco. Reservoir Dogs is the D&D game.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a good way to sell miniatures online? I have some Tyranids that I'm never gonna do anything with

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Until today, my wife had thought that Dungeons & Dragons was some sort of computer game, and had absolutely zero interest in it. After telling her that Vin Diesel plays it, and then once that got her interest continuing "No, it's not online, it's a bunch of people around a table making up stories about fantasy adventures... yeah, sure, they can be witches if they want," now she's downloaded the 5e basic rules PDF and is asking me questions about how ability modifiers work.

I love my wife. :haw:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is there a good way to sell miniatures online? I have some Tyranids that I'm never gonna do anything with

most people just use ebay, I think.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well, yes, improving a story is ultimately what pen and paper RPGs are for that's not really in dispute, but Dread's whole point is the visual of the Jenga tower. That'd be fine for those games hosted as Youtube videos, but wouldn't that lead to a lot of dead air on a podcast while people wait for the draw to happen?

From what I've seen since I have seen a video podcast do dread, they normally play very dramatic music and make it out to be a life-or-death scenario to keep it interesting. I want to say Wil Wheaton did an episode of that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

don't loving tell people to watch wil wheaton

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Plutonis posted:

I like him.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Like seriously his Tabletop show is very nicely edited. I've learned about a bunch of board games that way.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

did you love your wife before

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Board gamers care much more about having rules that function well as written. That's a problem when Wheaton can barely get through half an episode without messing up a rule, and sometimes not a minor one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Plutonis posted:

Says the critical fail meme poster.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

And in one image you find more joy than in three hundred combined hours of Wil Wheaton's podcast

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

https://systemmasterypodcast.com/2016/07/04/system-mastery-actual-play-4-lovedread-jenga/ since jef won't post his own stuff how about you give it alisten and find out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Guy Goodbody posted:

You could PM me and make my girlfriend hate you. (Depending on if I like your 'Nids. I'm picky.)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

theironjef posted:

It took me a minute to think about this but I'm gonna go with RIFTS.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

golden bubble posted:

Board gamers care much more about having rules that function well as written. That's a problem when Wheaton can barely get through half an episode without messing up a rule, and sometimes not a minor one.

If I ever play such a game I'll read the manual and take care not to make mistakes. If I'm watching an episode of Tabletop I care much more about the entertainment it provides.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Payndz posted:

...so why are you encouraging her to play 5e?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Rules mistakes are forgivable, but Tabletop have also been extremely lazy when it comes to annotating and correcting their mistakes. They've flat out misrepresented games in the past and done nothing about it except have Wil Wheaton write a whiny offsite blog post about how hard it is to be him.

e: Oh, and there was the time they spent an entire episode giving free advertisement to Steve Jackson by playing Munchkin (heavily edited like all Tabletop episodes, which by coincidence makes Munchkin look fine because you don't see how long it takes)... with Steve Jackson himself. Shilling for lovely games that are already insanely overexposed ftw.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 8, 2018

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Splicer posted:

...so why are you encouraging her to play 5e?
If we're going to play, it'll be BX (or TAAC or its sequel).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Hostile V posted:

It took me a minute to think about this but I'm gonna go with RIFTS.

I suppose in a podcast you could edit out the miserable amount of back and forth dice-rolling in combat. Or just turn it into a performance art.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Elfgames posted:

https://systemmasterypodcast.com/2016/07/04/system-mastery-actual-play-4-lovedread-jenga/ since jef won't post his own stuff how about you give it alisten and find out.

Cool, thanks for this!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I asked my players worldbuilding questions for 13th Age, one of which was "which seemingly outrageous rumour about the Elves is actually true" and now I can't stop thinking about the backstory of elise the great's elf dildo.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/983032241482752001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I suppose in a podcast you could edit out the miserable amount of back and forth dice-rolling in combat. Or just turn it into a performance art.
I'm listening to RPPR's attempt to play the plot of the movie The Eliminators in RIFTS while I'm driving and they have absolutely turned it into performance art. The first five minutes is them bemoaning the results of random height/weight/motivation/views on the Coalition/trust of nonhuman races tables which have resulted in a short fat Juicer ninja and a scientist who keeps installing cybernetic parts in/defiling corpses to make undead machines "for knowledge!" and "because I'm an all-around good person!".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliminators_(1986_film)

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 8, 2018