Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Arcsquad12 posted:

The reputation system that let other npcs remember your dialogue choices was really good, so you'd have other characters notice if sarcastic Hawke was suddenly acting serious or if sociopath Hawke tried to Crack a joke.

From a technical perspective this isn't at all hard to do though, it's just that adding responses to 'out of character' behavior means additional lines and we're back to the main problem that voice acting is expensive. Especially if you want to go all the way and have unique variants where the line is the same while the delivery changes, that could be doubling or more your recording time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
VA's aren't that expensive, there's a lot of good new talent out there. It's more that Bethesda seems really into celebrity VA's, especially ones without a history of jobbing in VA. At that point you're paying actor prices for VA lines.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

frajaq posted:

Anyone tried out this Fallout 1.5 Resurrection mod? It seems it even won some kind of award but you know how these things goes.

If it's actually decent I was thinking of giving it a try even with the awful gameplay of the first games

It's pretty good, overall. As you'd expect from a fan mod, the writing can get a bit cringey/edgy at times and the difficulty is quite a bit higher than the base games, but none of it is too bad and it does some neat things and it's obvious a lot of effort went into it. Get a charedit, give yourself a better start so you're not stuck grinding and you get a nice 5 hour fallout experience.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

isndl posted:

From a technical perspective this isn't at all hard to do though, it's just that adding responses to 'out of character' behavior means additional lines and we're back to the main problem that voice acting is expensive. Especially if you want to go all the way and have unique variants where the line is the same while the delivery changes, that could be doubling or more your recording time.

Voice acting is expensive but if you stick with industry standards rather than shelling out for one big name guy you can stretch your budget. Just look at how many notable VA actors new Vegas has. Not the largest names in the industry but reliable and versatile actors regardless.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Soon voice acting will all be done by things like deepmind anyway

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it will all look like the audio representation of dogs?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A VA robot will be developed using machine learning to generate voice without copy infringement. It will end up only being able to speak 40's era german

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

isndl posted:

The actual issue isn't cost, it's planning. Josh Sawyer's talked a lot about reactivity in games, and the big thing is that it's not hard so long as it's a design goal from the very beginning. When you're creating an area or writing an encounter for the first time, it's relatively easy to insert markers for opportunities for the game to react to your past actions-but if everything's already written and you're trying to go back and add things, it's going to be nearly impossible and/or feel half-assed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Voice acting is expensive but if you stick with industry standards rather than shelling out for one big name guy you can stretch your budget. Just look at how many notable VA actors new Vegas has. Not the largest names in the industry but reliable and versatile actors regardless.

New Vegas had a ton of celebirty VA's. And to be honest most put in a pretty piss poor performance. Controversial opinion but I think Bethesda has legitimately better voice direction, Liam neeson and Pat Stewart didn't knock my socks off, but they put in a performance which is more then I can say for Chandler or Trejo.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I largely agree, with one exception. The guy that played Ceaser, John Doman, played Rawls in The Wire first. I just can't see him ever being a Follower of the Apocalypse, even in a referential sense.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Gaius Marius posted:

New Vegas had a ton of celebirty VA's. And to be honest most put in a pretty piss poor performance.

That's simply not true.

Rene Auberjonois and Dave Foley may have blinded me to any faults New Vegas's VA work had.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Vavrek posted:

Dave Foley

Yes, man! I also really enjoyed Will Sadler as Victor.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
René Auberjonois as House is easily a way, way better performance than Liam Neeson's or Malcolm McDowell's in 3.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I always assumed it was audio formatting that made everyone in 3/NV sound mediocre.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gaius Marius posted:

New Vegas had a ton of celebirty VA's. And to be honest most put in a pretty piss poor performance. Controversial opinion but I think Bethesda has legitimately better voice direction, Liam neeson and Pat Stewart didn't knock my socks off, but they put in a performance which is more then I can say for Chandler or Trejo.

i think the key difference is that the celebrity VAs they got are That Guys, not huge A-list Hollywood actors. like, Danny Trejo is not expensive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Will Wheaton is in new Vegas. All he does is voice Mister Gutsys.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wesley Crusher from TNG is not a huge A-list Hollywood actor on the level of Liam Neeson, even if he has fashioned himself as some kind of weird nerd-god in the past years.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe you guys are right. I think New Vegas is way more inconsistent though. House is great but, Veronica and Benny are awful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Maybe you guys are right. I think New Vegas is way more inconsistent though. House is great but, Veronica and Benny are awful.

Veronica gets some good stuff, but it swings back and forth from conversation to conversation.

Benny is the only voice acting that's universally awful. But considering who the actor was (and being familiar with directing myself), there's a good possibility that Benny's delivery had more to do with director demands than Matthew Perry being bad at his job. When an actor or voice actor does a bad job that's not like the rest of their career, it's often because they're following bad direction. I can see Perry being told to tone down any emotional delivery to maintain Benny's smoothness, even when inappropriate.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Veronica gets some good stuff, but it swings back and forth from conversation to conversation.

Benny is the only voice acting that's universally awful. But considering who the actor was (and being familiar with directing myself), there's a good possibility that Benny's delivery had more to do with director demands than Matthew Perry being bad at his job. When an actor or voice actor does a bad job that's not like the rest of their career, it's often because they're following bad direction. I can see Perry being told to tone down any emotional delivery to maintain Benny's smoothness, even when inappropriate.

Yeah I brought up that I thought New Vegas had poor voice direction before. Veronica is another example she has no idea how to keep it consistent between lines. I also think Ceaser is underplayed.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I didn't hate Veronica. I never run around with companions, though. I could see how her manic pixie dream girl shtick could grind on someone. But yeah, Benny was trash. I'm sure Perry can deliver a performance that's not just the Nth iteration of Chandler Bing.

I do wish they'd had Felicia Day back in the studio after the release of Dead Money, though. Never being able to tell her that Christine is still alive is a wasted opportunity.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
Doesn't Matthew Perry really love Fallout too? Seems much more like bad direction in his case. He's even charismatic and fun in all those Bruce Willis movies he was in.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

I do wish they'd had Felicia Day back in the studio after the release of Dead Money, though. Never being able to tell her that Christine is still alive is a wasted opportunity.
I was originally mad about it, but at this point I think it's hilarious that apparently the courier can't connect the dots and realize that Christine and her were a couple.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The only voice acting that I was actually negative about was Sunny Smiles. Everybody else I was fine with.

I mean, it's too bad they didn't get more bang for the buck they probably spent on names like Matt Perry but I wouldn't say I disliked the work they did.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Arcsquad12 posted:

He actually voiced the robobrains. Of which there's like two in the main game

Gaius Marius posted:

I was originally mad about it, but at this point I think it's hilarious that apparently the courier can't connect the dots and realize that Christine and her were a couple.

The guy who wrote Dead Money likes to do reveals by implication, giving the player two separate facts and having them put it together. I like it, but it does also lead to people getting mad they can't act on information they never actually received

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 7, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Stealin' Stephen Russell's Fallout 3/4 job

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Garrand posted:

The only voice acting that I was actually negative about was Sunny Smiles. Everybody else I was fine with.

I mean, it's too bad they didn't get more bang for the buck they probably spent on names like Matt Perry but I wouldn't say I disliked the work they did.

I had forgotten about this, but yeah. I'm not usually that picky about voice acting but she was just awful.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It would've actually have been really hosed up if you reunited Veronica and Christine. Imagine Veronica's horror at seeing that Christine's clearly gone through a ton of torture and some harrowing combat and when she opens her mouth a completely different voice comes out. It would be spooky as hell.

While were talking about how the DLC and main game interact was I the only one who wished that Follows Chalk could've been a companion in the main game. It would've been interesting to see a true outsider react to seeing the Mojave for the first time.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

This is what happened with Peter Dinklage in the first Destiny game right? Bad direction plus a complete lack of coherent story direction/script.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wesley Crusher from TNG is not a huge A-list Hollywood actor on the level of Liam Neeson, even if he has fashioned himself as some kind of weird nerd-god in the past years.

Hey man, show the future President of the Internet some respect.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MH Knights posted:

This is what happened with Peter Dinklage in the first Destiny game right? Bad direction plus a complete lack of coherent story direction/script.

Pretty much. If you look at films he's VA'd on (like Ice Age 4, an otherwise unmemorable film) he does a fantastic job. It's 99% likely that it came down to Destiny's director (s?) having no idea how to direct a traditional actor, due to the fact that game VA's basically direct themselves due to how slapshod game directing has pretty much always been.

It says something that stories like Konami bothering to put all the VA's for MGS1 in one room to work off each other and collaborate on a direction/style is one of the most popular examples of Good Voice Direction in games.

It really sucks that insane FYGM rear end in a top hat Ken Levine is the face of game directing, because many genres would benefit immensely from having a single coherent direction to point every department.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 8, 2018

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gaius Marius posted:

It would've actually have been really hosed up if you reunited Veronica and Christine. Imagine Veronica's horror at seeing that Christine's clearly gone through a ton of torture and some harrowing combat and when she opens her mouth a completely different voice comes out. It would be spooky as hell.

While were talking about how the DLC and main game interact was I the only one who wished that Follows Chalk could've been a companion in the main game. It would've been interesting to see a true outsider react to seeing the Mojave for the first time.

Now that I think about it, didn't she come back and record some lines so you could tell her you killed her mentor dude in Dead Money? So should could have just done the same for Christine. And like no offense to Felicia Day, but I can't imagine she's too expensive or is unable to step away from her YouTuber career for a day to earn herself some more nerd cred working on a video game.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

They didn't bring her back, those lines of dialogue were actually already in the base game. Possibly because they either were already planning that much for the DLC (dead money was the first one made) or they planned on having Elijah in the base game and just moved him to Dead Money instead.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The lines originally referred to a ghoul called Abraham iirc, not sure if it was a disguise or a cut quest dialogue they repurposed

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

2house2fly posted:

The lines originally referred to a ghoul called Abraham iirc, not sure if it was a disguise or a cut quest dialogue they repurposed

Going through Veronica's dialogue file on the wiki and yeah, looks like there's a quest dealing with 2 people, Monte and Abraham and they took the lines from that. Although she conspicuously never says either of their names, ever, and there doesn't appear to be any actual information left in the game itself dealing with them so I'm wondering if that was just a cover to hide what they were planning.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so I finally decided to get the DLC and have a properly decent New Vegas run because Caves of Qud kinda made me itchy for some Falloutsy action

(I bought it waaaaay back but never left goodsprings because was buried in studies at the time, so I am pretty much unaware of most of the stuff)

is it too much of a PITA to set it up with the required must-have mods nowadays?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I never played NV with too many mods, I don't know of any really "must haves" for a first playthrough. Get like jsawyer or project Nevada the next time through

e: I suppose I'd be sure to get NVAC, FNV4GB, and Mission Mojave just for stability

e2: vvv Yeah, YUP is a better choice than Mission Mojave, MM changes stuff

Azhais fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 8, 2018

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

dead comedy forums posted:

so I finally decided to get the DLC and have a properly decent New Vegas run because Caves of Qud kinda made me itchy for some Falloutsy action

(I bought it waaaaay back but never left goodsprings because was buried in studies at the time, so I am pretty much unaware of most of the stuff)

is it too much of a PITA to set it up with the required must-have mods nowadays?

I would get the Yukichigai Unofficial Patch for sure

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Vegas doesn't have good voice direction but the writing is still quite good. In an ideal world we'd get something like Relic's voice direction which is outstanding with Obsidian's writing chops. Still, the foundation is there with the strong script, so when Vegas's voice acting is good, it's really good, like Joshua Graham or the Think Tank. When it's just okay, the script holds things up and there's only a few instances out outright bad voice acting.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Someone should put together a basic mod installation guide for New Vegas, not that Fear And Loathing behemoth but just the bare essentials. I think what you need is

FNV4GB
New Vegas Script Extender
New Vegas Stutter Remover
New Vegas Anti-Crash
YUP

And anything those mods require(it'll say when you go to download them). There's a ton of cool mods to improve the gameplay and add more stuff, but I think the above will get you going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CASM

You don't want the native autosave to leave you with corrupt save files.