Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Third World Reggin posted:

I found a better site to get a view of the various parts of our wall.

https://www.usatoday.com/border-wall/us-mexico-interactive-border-map/

Scroll all the way down. Yah, some bits of it are fences. Some parts are walls.

And in some parts there's nothing, because the terrain is a massive pain in the rear end. Mostly, I think it's dumb to paint it as a media move to get clicks and views, when the administration is very loudly and publicly demanding funding to build the wall, is building prototypes for a new type of wall, and publicly derided the existing fencing and barriers as largely inadequate. That's not a media conspiracy to make money.

But at least you've walked back the claim that we already have "a wall" to having a mix of walls, fencing, vehicle impediments, or nothing depending on location.

From your link:

quote:

Huge stretches of border have no physical barrier.
But the longest contiguous unfenced stretch of border — more than 600 miles total — is in the middle of Texas. There's no major city here on either side of the border.

drat dirty media telling us the administration wants to build a wall just to get the hysteria dollars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My dad just texted me that they witnessed a terror attack where a car drove into a crowd in Münster, 20+ injured, no reports on dead yet, said he's fine but shaken; driver shot himself

/edit: 30+ injured, several dead

His attack was stopped by a good guy with a gun! :v:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Sorry your dad had to go through that and hope he’s ok.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My dad just texted me that they witnessed a terror attack where a car drove into a crowd in Münster, 20+ injured, no reports on dead yet, said he's fine but shaken; driver shot himself

3 dead confirmed .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.8b72e2617543

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

gently caress. Glad your dad wasn't hurt.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hope you and yours are doing okay.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thoughts and prayers.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Current event: gonna call my dad.

Jarmak posted:

This contrived attempt to manufacture outrage to avoid addressing the point being made is genuinely disgusting.

I wasn't trying to avoid the point, just failing to.

You're right, it is the opposite of whataboutism. It was like someone saying "You claim jaywalking isn't wrong and everyone does it when it benefits them, but some people said the same thing about slavery!"

I thought the comparison was disgusting, but having drunk and slept on it, it just seems stupid. I think we had slavery for longer in the US than some countries as part of a terrible strategy for industrial development, and that is the same reason we ignored the patents and copyrights of other countries, but (hot take) motive is not what makes slavery bad.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
LEAVE GEORGIA ALONE :qq:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/981873881333092353

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

lol @ the south.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Yeah that's griffin Georgia. Not Atlanta. Griffin is garbage

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Umm, Atlanta is not garbage?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Atlanta is pretty cool.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

The entire south just needs to be burnt down. There are good people on both sides but they must all burn.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Godholio posted:

Atlanta is pretty cool.

The show, or the city?

Because the show is pretty good.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

No true suburb.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
To hate atlanta is to hate a lot of black people. But my favorite part is all the people from the north or the west who forget about black people.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Third World Reggin posted:

To hate atlanta is to hate a lot of black people. But my favorite part is all the people from the north or the west who forget about black people.

What?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
A take so hot that we don't need Sherman to start any fires

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
the only thing i really know about atlanta is i-85 traffic and that poo poo paints a real bad first impression that i don't think race has anything to do with

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I think his point is that there are tons of people in the south who are clearly not shithead neoconfederates and those people are conveniently forgotten by people outside the south when they say things like "we should burn down Atlanta" again.

We get it's a joke but Atlanta is a pretty liberal city with a very large minority population and if you say things like "gently caress Atlanta!" then the conservatives you hate are going to say "Yes I agree!"

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 7, 2018

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

They blew a Superbowl in incredible fashion to the Patriots so Atlanta is on my bad list regardless of racial makeup

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
So we forget about the black population when we get mad at the white people in the south for being racist against the black people???

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

my kinda ape posted:

I think his point is that there are tons of people in the south who are clearly not shithead neoconfederates and those people are conveniently forgotten by people outside the south when they say things like "we should burn down Atlanta" again.

We get it's a joke but Atlanta is a pretty liberal city with a very large minority population and if you say things like "gently caress Atlanta!" then the conservatives you hate are going to say "Yes I agree!"

"Stop being mean to us, we have lots of blacks" :qq: is a weird thing to get upset about

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mods change my name posted:

A take so hot that we don't need Sherman to start any fires

Don't need but he's still welcome
All hail Saint Sherman

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
I happen to live in Atlanta in an area that didn’t get sacked by Sherman because it was used as a staging ground for Union troops. So in the event that we start Sherman’s March 2.0, I’m perfectly okay quartering troops who will show Johnny Reb who’s boss (again). I’m guessing that most black folks in and around the South would do the same, so problem solved. :sherman:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Internet Wizard posted:

"Stop being mean to us, we have lots of blacks" :qq: is a weird thing to get upset about

I've never lived in Atlanta or the south and almost certainly never will so I don't really have any skin in the game but it's pretty eyeroll inducing when people constantly say poo poo like "the whole south should be destroyed!" and then when someone goes "hmm seems like that would gently caress over a ton of legitimately good/innocent people, many of whom are the very victims of what you claim to oppose" you go "buhhhhhhh I actually meant something different than what I actually said"

I get that it's a stupid throwaway joke but I guess if you're gonna use stupid throwaway jokes don't call it a hot take that someone tells you your joke sucks?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
pull up current events thread

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
is this some goon autism thing where hyperbolic statements are taken literally or just some loving galaxy brain level poo poo

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
kill every white person in the south

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Proud Christian Mom posted:

that's fine

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

my kinda ape posted:

I've never lived in Atlanta or the south and almost certainly never will so I don't really have any skin in the game but it's pretty eyeroll inducing when people constantly say poo poo like "the whole south should be destroyed!" and then when someone goes "hmm seems like that would gently caress over a ton of legitimately good/innocent people, many of whom are the very victims of what you claim to oppose" you go "buhhhhhhh I actually meant something different than what I actually said"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chuds getting owned will probably never get old for me.

https://twitter.com/greeneyes_jen/status/982052513686925312

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That mom's real proud of her sign

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Meanwhile, in Syria, it looks like there's been another chemical attack (likely with chlorine gas) that has killed at least 30 people and wounded 400 others in the besieged town of Douma, on the outskirts of Damascus. There are pictures floating around Twitter, but trust me, you don't want to look at them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Have you been through mid-PA or upstate New York lately?

It's too late, they've already metastasized.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

This is much better

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Generally the big cities in the south are as generally on the same level as big cities in the north, most racism is closeted or institutional. Anything else in the south is a crap shoot. My wife is mixed, so she has curly hair, brown eyes, and an olive complexion. About monthly someone tell her they only speak English, ask her where in Mexico she’s from, or other such garbage. Mind you my wife is getting her JD, only speaks English, and was born in Georgia. I also see 5 confederate flags on my 15 minute drive to Fort Bragg every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

the only thing i really know about atlanta is i-85 traffic and that poo poo paints a real bad first impression that i don't think race has anything to do with

85 is hosed from atlanta to goddamn spartanburg

• Locked thread