Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's been so long it is lost to time. Flaps might know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the first season of mha is kind of bad

gmq posted:

this

It thought it was good at the time but the second season is much much better. Hopefully the third season continues the trend.

The second season is considerably better, but it feels super hyperbolic (on this site?) to call the first season 'bad'. Those first 3 episodes are incredible and all of the proceeding big moments in the show are suitably epic and they do happen within a few episodes each time. For a shounen, MHA's pacing is ridiculously fast. Kind of too fast, I wish we'd seen the other students a bit more before the USJ invasion. I'd actually argue that what makes the second season so much better is that it slows down a bit and explores the other characters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I enjoyed the first season a lot but I marathoned it in a day and haven't read to manga which may have contributed.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I didn't mind S1 too much when I was playing catchup, but after a point and week by week especially the pacing gets to you. The big scenes have fine or even great execution in the moment, but between those you can feel some stretching.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah, both seasons of MHA were good (the second was better) and it just feels like contrarian backlash to call it bad, with the galaxy brain part saying that Vigilantes, which has exactly one interesting character, is better.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Darling in the Franxx is really good, you guys.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean i definitely enjoyed s1 marathoning it in like two days but when it was airing weekly i just zonked out early on. it's not a terrible adaptation but the pacing is really draining and i think that's kind of a big deal when it's a hurdle to watching the later stuff

like at least when the pacing slows down midway into a thing you've at least developed an attachment to the characters and the writing, the pacing in s1 is an active detriment because you don't have any of that yet and it's already moving really glacially

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 7, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Agronox posted:

Yeah, both seasons of MHA were good (the second was better) and it just feels like contrarian backlash to call it bad, with the galaxy brain part saying that Vigilantes, which has exactly one interesting character, is better.

It's a smaller series thats more focused on a central cast and their more relateable personal problems such as lack of realizable ambition out of school, a family collapsing due to neglect, and body shame complex issues messing with your self esteem. As opposed to a gigantic balooning cast that doesnt get much screentime and a more derivative shonen drive for more power as a primary motivator.

I ain't gonna fight about why I think its better but Its something I like enough that I will defend it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Agronox posted:

Not really? People were iffy on it while airing and hoped further seasons would be better about it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0xkvFprT-Q

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

hosed up that the girl in gun gale is using speed hacks and a smaller hitbox to break the game

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Darling in the Franxx is really good, you guys.

Zero Two tries to eat a book!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Parallax posted:

hosed up that the girl in gun gale is using speed hacks and a smaller hitbox to break the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNvDUO42Hys

THere's precedent.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I never got around to s2 of mha because I've been meaning to catch up on the manga first, but the first season has serious pacing issues-ch 1 is a full 2 eps, where so much of ep 2 was repeating beats from ep 1, and the climax with the school trip felt like an actual drag, which hurt the momentum of the big moments imo. With that said, I wouldn't call it bad, because if you watched the anime without the manga for reference, the pacing feels more natural and I distinctly remember there being a divide between manga readers and people going in blind over whether it was a good adaptation or not. S1 was a weak adaptation of a really strong manga, but that still leaves you with an overall good product. From my understanding s2 in many ways elevates the source material, and i have hopes that s3 would do likewise now that they've gotten more comfortable with adapting mha.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

pink gun bunny who is voiced by megumin looks like the mom in gundam build fighters in real life

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Parallax posted:

Speed hacks is a skill players can pick I guess? Which makes the fact that apparently not literally every player is using it the most unrealistic thing about the show.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Motto posted:

I didn't mind S1 too much when I was playing catchup, but after a point and week by week especially the pacing gets to you. The big scenes have fine or even great execution in the moment, but between those you can feel some stretching.

I think that's may be an issue with most/all long-running shounen. Like, for as good as HxH is I shudder to imagine what that must have been like to wait each week between episodes.

I'll 100% agree that S1 had stretching, particularly with the drat recaps at the start of each episode. Personally though I feel like the manga moves too fast at the start so I'm ok with the anime taking its time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I watched the last MHA season all at once and I very much recommend it. probably gonna do it for this one too, but this is the first season where I haven't read any of the manga for it.

I hope the manga is still good and people are enjoying it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's still good.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I watched the first episode of Hinamatsuri. Although I haven't read it, I know people liked the manga, and the first episode seemed decent.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chiasaur11 posted:

Zero Two tries to eat a book!

Everybody who didn't give it a try or dropped off after the first two episodes really should give it another go. Darling in the Franxx is good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hinamatsuri seems like a great adaptation. It's got the comedic timing down and has some of the best animation of the season so far.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

Everybody who didn't give it a try or dropped off after the first two episodes really should give it another go. Darling in the Franxx is good.

Its the most wholesome show with sex robots you will ever see. Seriously though, the sex metaphors grew more into relationship symbolism, and the show is pretty good.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah I watched the last MHA season all at once and I very much recommend it. probably gonna do it for this one too, but this is the first season where I haven't read any of the manga for it.

I hope the manga is still good and people are enjoying it
Yeah, it's good.

A couple months back we finished up the longest running arc in the series to date, and you could tell the stress what with having to oversee everything coupled with general mangaka health problems made the art and storytelling on a week-to-week basis suffer. That, plus that it was easily the darkest arc yet, dealing with some really unpleasant things, made it exhausting. Like, there was still plenty to like about it, some great new characters and Quirks (including my favorite Quirk in the series to date, it's fantastic) and character moments, but overall I'd call it the weakest arc in MHA. The current arc is really fun, though, and has some fantastic villains and fun Quirks and the stakes, while fairly high, aren't like, "oh my god we're going to die jesus christ" high.

As far as S3 goes, I found the first arc it will cover (6~ish episodes, maybe?) to be okay, but the arc after it is my favorite in the series, so get hype.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

StandardVC10 posted:

Comic Girls has the most insecure main character I've ever seen and it's kind of hard to like her.

edit: maybe that's being too harsh. Intense personal insecurity is a pretty real artist experience

This sucks because Slow Start was just last season and this character style is kinda blergh the second time around, but w/e.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

I ain't gonna fight about why I think its better but Its something I like enough that I will defend it.

Sorry if I seemed combative. I thought you were trolling and was going to bite down hard on that bait and enjoy the ride.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

What was the name of that one? I keep meaning to read it but forgot.

Sharkopath posted:

It's been so long it is lost to time. Flaps might know.

https://mangadex.org/manga/17660/after-school-dice-club

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Yeah, I was exaggerating a bit about MHA S1 being _bad_ but I still feel the emotional climax in that season is Deku vs Bakugo and that's pretty early. The USJ attack doesn't even come close to that besides the scene where all might goes plus ultra.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Baku is the most interesting character in MHA, prove me wrong

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Huh. So You Don't Know Gunma Yet is one of those super short form shows...

And is pretty much a travel brochure of a show?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Parallax posted:

i like todoroki

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parallax posted:

I can't call him my "favorite" per se, buuuut....yeah, probably.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i enjoy mha in the moment but every time i look at it in retrospect there's less and less that really stands out to me. horikoshi does amazing designs though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Is gun gale good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Is gun gale good.

Maybe? First episode felt more like a cold open than an attempt to provide anything substantial, but it looks nice enough and it was a reasonably entertaining game of Not!PUBG. I'm giving it another episode, at least.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wanted it to be better...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

He....didn't say it was bad?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
When will there be an anime where a tall girl plays Quake 3 Challenge ProMode Arena

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm watching it myself now to make a decision but I meant I was hoping it would be very good and generate big enthusiasm from the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I don't care about this military poo poo where people don't move at 69 miles a second by repeatedly jumping and waving their heads around

e; Source excluded

• Locked thread