Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Legs Benedict posted:

just use Reminders like a sane person
i tried using it over the last week but it seems like you have to manually delete every completed item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does anyone use Firefox on iOS? Is there really no 3rd party password manager integration or am I not seeing it somewhere?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

i tried using it over the last week but it seems like you have to manually delete every completed item
"Hide completed" unless you are so OCD that having a thing you can't see will bug you

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
On the other hand, there is zero reason for all my devices to keep two years' worth of my daily “it’s 7PM, time to take your medicine” Reminders.

For info, it is possible to mass clear completed items by logging into iCloud.com from a computer and checking Reminders there. Sucky solution, but at least someone at Apple thought about it at some point.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there an IFTTT and/or Workflow thread? I'd like to find a way to automatically (or quickly) send a text or notification to my wife when I'm leaving for home from my office. I used to use Waze to do that but have recently switched to Carplay with my new car and miss that feature.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Is there an IFTTT and/or Workflow thread? I'd like to find a way to automatically (or quickly) send a text or notification to my wife when I'm leaving for home from my office. I used to use Waze to do that but have recently switched to Carplay with my new car and miss that feature.

Workflow, quickly version:

Today Widget
Add Text->Text component with "Leaving for home" or whatever
Add a Sharing->Send Message action
Add wife as recipient

Then add the widget to your widgets, tap to send message quickly.

You could also do the home screen variant, if you don't do widgets. No way to do via location detection without a user interaction, as far as I know.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kalman posted:

Workflow, quickly version:

Today Widget
Add Text->Text component with "Leaving for home" or whatever
Add a Sharing->Send Message action
Add wife as recipient

Then add the widget to your widgets, tap to send message quickly.

You could also do the home screen variant, if you don't do widgets. No way to do via location detection without a user interaction, as far as I know.

Thanks! I was doing some poking around in the Gallery of workflow and there is a way to send your current ETA also. So I added that to the Today screen widget and am good to go. Same number of clicks as Waze, but lower accuracy. Will serve it's purpose, though.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like I downloaded an earlier version of Things but all I see is Things 3 for $9.99 now :(

Gotta look at the purchased section in the App Store, you won't be able to find it via search.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

FCKGW posted:

Does anyone use Firefox on iOS? Is there really no 3rd party password manager integration or am I not seeing it somewhere?

I'm using it. Your password manager should be accessible from the share button.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

XBenedict posted:

Hi Patrick.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Thanks. I’m using Dashlane and its not showing up. I installed 1password and its there. Looks like I need to file a feature request with Dashlane.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Hi Patrick.

He goes by Pat.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
What ad blockers do people use here? Blockbear is letting ads through or blocking whole pages for me now

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
there are adblockers other than 1blocker???

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

just sittin' here usin' Firefox Focus

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

there are adblockers other than 1blocker???

You should be their salesperson. I noticed Crystal hasn’t been working and just switched to 1blocker

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Wipr

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a pihole at home and half my internet is broken and webpages just poo poo out sometimes it's great you should try that

For real though outside the home if I use Adguard DNS blocker because it even blocks in-app ads and stuff (not all though, looking at you Angry Birds)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Once ad blockers were allowed, I think I tried a couple but quickly settled on 1Blocker and I've been happy with it ever since.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Can you guys recommend me a Reddit app? I don’t spend a whole lot of time on it but it’s nice to be able to check the odd subreddit or two without the constant banner the mobile website mags you with.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Apollo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IAmKale posted:

Can you guys recommend me a Reddit app? I don’t spend a whole lot of time on it but it’s nice to be able to check the odd subreddit or two without the constant banner the mobile website mags you with.
I use the official app (which used to be Alien Blue I guess?) and it's alright. Has some bad UI design decisions but it's okay.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

IAmKale posted:

I like Apollo and Narwhal.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

IAmKale posted:

Can you guys recommend me a Reddit app?

I'm trying the Sync beta and is pretty good.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

TraderStav posted:

Launch Center Pro will give you a notification when you leave a location during a specific time period, and fill in a text message to a specific person you just need to hit Send on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:agreed:

It's still a little rough on the iPad, but really good on the iPhone.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I like Apollo and Narwhal.

These are the two I use. Narwhal if I’m looking to post, Apollo if I’m looking to lurk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I have a pihole at home and half my internet is broken and webpages just poo poo out sometimes it's great you should try that

For real though outside the home if I use Adguard DNS blocker because it even blocks in-app ads and stuff (not all though, looking at you Angry Birds)

I use umatrix on my desktop and it's funny how many sites have the "ADBLOCKER INTERFERENCE DETECTED, SITE BROKEN :byodood:" message can suddenly show their content when I completely blacklist all their javascript.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have pihole running and I haven’t experienced any broken websites yet. It tells me 40% of my network traffic was blocked though which is a ridiculous amount.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TransatlanticFoe posted:

Launch Center Pro will give you a notification when you leave a location during a specific time period, and fill in a text message to a specific person you just need to hit Send on.

Thanks, the today widget was a good idea until I got in my car and Carplay takes over wanting me to transcribe a text message overriding the one generated. Makes it useless.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
After a long, long time with Android, I'm using my first iPhone (X) since the 4S launched. What are some QoL apps I might not think to search for? I'm not trying to recreate the Android experience on iOS. Rather, I'd like to learn about apps iOS power users use to smooth out the user experience.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

It depends on what you’re looking to do/where you want to smooth out the experience. Can you give us any pointers

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Legs Benedict posted:

It depends on what you’re looking to do/where you want to smooth out the experience. Can you give us any pointers
To be honest I'm not finding the transition all that jarring. The lack of an "app drawer" is kinda of a bummer - after having so much control over the contents of my home screen for so long it feels really underwhelming the way iOS still requires all apps to be somewhere on a homescreen.

Actually, you know what, the most immediate question that comes to mind is related to folders: it's nice that folders exist, but they look pretty ugly when there's only a couple of apps to display. Is there anything like Action Launcher's "Covers" feature, in which a folder looks and acts like an app when you tap on it, but allows you to swipe up to see a folder of apps? If you've never seen it before, check it out, it's one of my favorite launchers for Android:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iybgo8TsI_0&t=48s
(the video starts when on the section about Covers).

Aside from that my initial question was more me fishing for things I might not even think to ask regarding improving/optimizations to various workflows in iOS.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Does android have an equivalent of spotlight? I never use folders or really go past the first or second screen on my home screen. It’s just a swipe down from the middle on non-x iPhones. I don’t know if they changed that. Type the name of an app, or like two letters, and tap there. Never use a folder again!

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

IAmKale posted:

To be honest I'm not finding the transition all that jarring. The lack of an "app drawer" is kinda of a bummer - after having so much control over the contents of my home screen for so long it feels really underwhelming the way iOS still requires all apps to be somewhere on a homescreen.

Even though I made the switch from Android to apple ages ago, I also miss that. My current solution is many many folders full of apps I'm "hiding" and using spotlight search (when you're on the home screen tap somewhere on the top of the screen and then pull down , a search bar will appear) to get to specific apps. If you're searching for an app and it's not appearing in the search double check it's findable in spotlight (settings > Siri & search > scroll down until you find the app in question > make sure "Siri & search suggestions" is on).

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Any advice for switching to a family sharing plan? Any issues? My wife , kids and I have been sharing my apple ID for a while and I think its probably time to get everyone their own ID.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Fcdts26 posted:

Any advice for switching to a family sharing plan? Any issues? My wife , kids and I have been sharing my apple ID for a while and I think its probably time to get everyone their own ID.

Only big thing is: you can’t share in-app purchases. So any app that has the base app as a trial but in app purchases for the main functionality of the app you’ll have to repurchase for each account.

A minor thing is that apps another family member has purchased don’t show up as already purchased until you go to the Purchased tabs. I’m genuinely not sure if it’ll show up as purchased if you go through the purchase process from a search or whatever

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Just switched to iphone from android today and wondering if there are any car management apps people recommend. Service reminders and fill-ups type thing.

I was using aCar on android if that means anything to anyone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve used Fuelly for years and it’s worked for me. You can set mileage or timed reminders for checkups. I mostly just track gas/fuel efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Gas cubby and Road trip are a couple good options, I use the latter.