Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Yeah like, I was only theorizing that there would be a 10 anniversary special a week or two ago. Because even before #ChangeTheChannel became a thing it seemed like such a thing would have been in bad taste. Like in the sense that the one thing on everybody's mind while watching it is who already ISN'T in this special, compared to the first three/four. If this all hadn't exploded would people have expected a fair number of the content creators who had left the site to make surprise appearances?

And now I'm really wondering like, honestly, had the script that Doug (most likely all on his own) wrote up for this movie actually been written assuming he'd be able to get back at least a few of the most important people who had made the site for this shindig, even if it was just them sending him footage to insert into the film? Like they wouldn't even have to physically be there in the same vicinity as Doug. And he would have already had their parts and lines written before he even asked them because why would they say no to something like this? Surely enough time had passed that any problems they had with him and the site could be put aside now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the 10th anniversary movie should be this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laCKBx6dmW8
but it's doug walker

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

after that document came out detailing the poo poo michaud and the walkers have pulled over the years came out, anyone not bailing from channel awesome kinda creeps me out to be honest. even more so after that loving joke of an 'apology' they put out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You know I'm looking at the document and this bit:

quote:

We did not have enough cars and some people were left behind while the rest of the crew went to Applebee's

Did they just not entertain the idea of dropping off some people at the restaurant and then driving back to pick up the people left behind? Its a place where you sit down and eat, its not a fast food joint!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m sure some of them have forgotten they’re even listed there—I doubt there’s anything like a community or regular contact between producers any more. Also there’s probably a chud army of Doug fans ready to attack anyone (women) who leaves, criticizes CA, breathes, or eats.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

after that document came out detailing the poo poo michaud and the walkers have pulled over the years came out, anyone not bailing from channel awesome kinda creeps me out to be honest. even more so after that loving joke of an 'apology' they put out.

Again, I'll repeat: don't do this to content creators. UNless they're mentioned as being negative forces don't start judging them for the poo poo the management pulls. Don't make assumptions.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
So, the count of people who have left CA today appears to be:

Nash
Calluna
The Dom
Some Jerk (Tony)
Rocked (Luke)
Last Angry Geek

So that leaves, what, ~20 people left on the site?

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

Nash
Calluna
The Dom
Some Jerk (Tony)
Rocked (Luke)
Last Angry Geek

Looking at the site Sursum Ursa and Il Neige aren't there anymore either.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The two big remaining ones besides Doug are Brad and Angry Joe (and Guru Larry but he's shrinking on YouTube due to hosting a gameshow)

I'm surprised Bennett hasn't said a thing but I guess he's the type to keep his head down and avoid drama.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 7, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

business hammocks posted:

I’m sure some of them have forgotten they’re even listed there—I doubt there’s anything like a community or regular contact between producers any more. Also there’s probably a chud army of Doug fans ready to attack anyone (women) who leaves, criticizes CA, breathes, or eats.

I mean the more people that leave the more pressure there probably is on the ones who are still there. It isn't a fun prospect to be seen as the one who killed the site.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mokinokaro posted:

The two big remaining ones besides Doug are Brad and Angry Joe (and Guru Larry but he's shrinking on YouTube due to hosting a gameshow)

I'm surprised Bennett hasn't said a thing but I guess he's the type to keep his head down and avoid drama.

Joe's pretty much long since checked out in all but listing as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TheMaestroso posted:

Nash
Calluna
The Dom
Some Jerk (Tony)
Rocked (Luke)
Last Angry Geek

Today’s also the day of that convention with Doug that Brad was low-key complaining about last week. Maybe there will be a fun trip report posted somewhere.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, what happened to Ask A Ninja? No, not ten years ago, but after he came back and was added to Channel Awesome last year. When he was the only producer added.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MarzGirl killing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPO0isIxbtY

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Some folks just really need the money. Ain’t easy to pull out of a job if you’ve got, say, a toddler or a medical condition.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It looks like we might be getting that new thread soon at this rate.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Having never watched anything with this guy, he can't possibly be as punchable as the thumbnail makes him appear, can he?

Jim is 100% playing a smug egomaniac character. It's basically because he's a wrestling fan and playing yourself up 100% is the best way to get a character over.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, when he used to do LP stuff he dropped the character.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s been at least a week since I have heard anything about Ready Player One. I feel pretty good about that. That and Channel Awesome dying with so much light and heat makes this an ok week.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Testekill posted:

Jim is 100% playing a smug egomaniac character. It's basically because he's a wrestling fan and playing yourself up 100% is the best way to get a character over.

I’ve said for a long while now that if you want to see someone who is the real life version of the character Jm Sterling plays on the internet, look at Kim Dotcom.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

It’s been at least a week since I have heard anything about Ready Player One. I feel pretty good about that. That and Channel Awesome dying with so much light and heat makes this an ok week.

Jenny summed up my feelings on it pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07w3u8iLa-s

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Excellent timing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-fwdc3OSaU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Jenny summed up my feelings on it pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07w3u8iLa-s

This was charming and thoughtful enough to be worth reminding me of Ready Player One and of having had read Ready Player One. I look forward to never having to think about Ready Player One ever again. "Watching a speedrun of a book" is definitely the perfect description of reading it.

That giant porg must be such a burden, like a monkey's paw kind of acquisition.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This was charming and thoughtful enough to be worth reminding me of Ready Player One and of having had read Ready Player One. I look forward to never having to think about Ready Player One ever again. "Watching a speedrun of a book" is definitely the perfect description of reading it.

That giant porg must be such a burden, like a monkey's paw kind of acquisition.

Slow your roll, chief, because the Armada movie has been fast-tracked for production thanks to RP1 doing decently at the box office. And about 90% of the things that can be said about Armada tend to involve or invite comparisons back to Ready Player One. Because Ernest Cline is literally a one trick pony and just wrote the same book again a second time, only shittier and with a slightly tweaked premise to RP1's.

That said the story of the giant porg is an epic tale in and of itself.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Welshy made a video about the CA stuff

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I can appreciate her dedication to giant stuffed animals. :patriot:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That's not Welshy, that's Sad Panda.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's not Welshy, that's Sad Panda.

:thejoke:

Because Doug mixed them up. Somehow.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

this is amazing :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

:thejoke:

Because Doug mixed them up. Somehow.

I mean, I can see how he'd do that. Welsh and Quebecois are virtually indistinguishable on an accent level. Plus, Panda and Welshy just look so similar to one another too. It's like they're twins.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve been pretty disappointed in the lack of response from Brad during this whole thing.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Remember not to heckle the people still with CA.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tamara Chambers just made a patreon three days ago and it looks a little rushed as far as content and rewards. I guess she and Malcolm have a sense of where the wind is blowing. It is too bad that they should have gotten caught up in working for assholes, but like half the planet is assholes.

I hope she didn't have to give up the rights to Tamara's Never Seen.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ve been pretty disappointed in the lack of response from Brad during this whole thing.

This is Brad. He has a tendency to ignore the faults of friends until it blows up.

He's also currently at Empire Comic Con, so he's probably not going to comment at all for a bit.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 8, 2018

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Thread with a take on the Doughazi by someone who used to bag on angry reviewers:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jordha/status/980902574717992960

Goes to show that yes, people can change.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Who is he?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

If he's the fellow I'm thinking of he used to basically make it his business to tear into any of the reviewers who dared to leave or criticise CA.

But if it's the same guy, he's purged his channel of all those videos and has gone professional. Good for him.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I think he was behind one of those anti CA websites back in the day. You know before the big exoduses(exodusi?) and the worst most people knew about the site was that some of the producers could be a bit abrasive irl.

This made me slightly curious as to how the other ones are handling it. Though I don't really want to track them down.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

I think he was behind one of those anti CA websites back in the day. You know before the big exoduses(exodusi?) and the worst most people knew about the site was that some of the producers could be a bit abrasive irl.

This made me slightly curious as to how the other ones are handling it. Though I don't really want to track them down.

I shouldn't even mention it, but some horror movie guy (Dave-ula or Tom-ula--some kind of pun with a regular-guy name and a Dracula suffix) who apparently used to be on the site did a response video full of hilariously petty grievances against most of the producers who left--stuff like someone complaining about him not having beer at a party he hosted. I don't know why I kept watching, but he ended it with words of support for the poor, misunderstood hordes of gamergate, who were prematurely judged by snooty snobs like Kyle Kallgren and Dan Olson, who made everyone take a side when poor Dave-ula wanted to remain neutral and see where they were going with all the doxxing and rape threats.

I never heard of him and I shouldn't be giving him the attention, but his video showed up in the related category while I was browsing. Lots of reaction videos from those producers who just monologue over cartoon drawings of mascot versions of themselves with top hats and tuxedos, who I always assume are reactionary scum and skip over on the basis of the shared aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

I think you mean Count Jackula, right? I watched a couple of his videos, I thought he was alright until I heard of him blasting Dan Olson for the Ghostbusters reboot controversy. Something about Dan calling James Rolfe a misogynist and Jackula getting pissed off about it. I remember he'd left the day after going on some Twitter tirade about how him and Horror Guru were the only two people on Channel Awesome supporting PewDiePie.

• Locked thread