Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah IItB is good

But not as much turn-based tactics as a block puzzle with a pacific rim skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My gosh if the original Warhammer and Marauder and Archer come back to Battletech I'll have to start playing it again. Good memories and they were absolutely some of the coolest lookin' mechs, no question.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The phrase "make do", much like "just desserts", make more sense to the modern English speaker, even when the modern definitions of those phrases sound more childish and simplistic than their more archaic forms.

Make due was the more popular form in the late 19th, early 20th century, and to attempt to decode what they may have meant when they said it, the phrase may have been short for "we require and deserve better than this, but necessity demands we make our due with the means we have."

Today that meaning is apparently the purview of the illiterate clod, as the modern English literati prefers the shortened form of "we don't have the thing we need so we make some other thing do something in its place" and it's reasonable enough tbh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've always used the phrase "make do" but reading it written as "make due" just feels so much more linguistically dense than the accepted form of the phrase.

Then again modern English also seems to have a grudge against the Oxford comma despite it being much more syntactically precise than the preferred omission.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I always write it as "make due" because it just made sense in my head to do so. Make do just sounds like gibberish. It'd be like saying we had to "make go" somewhere.

Mercifully, I'm not an English teacher, so I'm not obligated to care. :v:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone just scoop up the myriad of licenses or whatever it takes to get MechWarrior 2 on Steam or GOG kthx ilu

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's actually "make Dew"

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
It’d be nice if we got a MechWarrior 3 that isn’t complete rear end to get working on modern systems. It’s a decent game with a decent story that’s sold very well by your mission control.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We've actually been talking about whiskey mixers this entire time

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

rt4 posted:

It's actually "make Dew"

Funny, I always say it as "Do the Dew."

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Has there been any word on how much Star League era tech is going to be in this game? I know we've seen a fair few of the weapons like pulse lasers and gauss but what about DHS or endo steel and the like?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
DHS are kind of confirmed, endo steel I have no idea.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I want to say there was something in the beta Files about the Black Knight and Endo Steel

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
wrong thread

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Another question is: can you pay off the original loans that has your rear end in debt at the start of the game? How much are they?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Another question is: can you pay off the original loans that has your rear end in debt at the start of the game? How much are they?

Well, given that the Argo and three Leopards probably cost more than a BattleMech regiment to own and operate, I'm hoping the answer to this is "yes" and "what made you think getting your rear end into this much debt was a good idea, idiot?"

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure you basically get all that paid off by getting on as the Restoration's retainers

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, given that the Argo and three Leopards probably cost more than a BattleMech regiment to own and operate, I'm hoping the answer to this is "yes" and "what made you think getting your rear end into this much debt was a good idea, idiot?"
I expect they may never actually describe the actual CAUSE of your debt to the banks, particularly as it's a timeskip debt.

So I'll just imagine the commander blew way too many C-Bills on memorabilia. "Remember the Tetatae? They're back! In pog form!"

Though most people mad at the fact we have our own ship without immediately self destructing, would still probably be upset at us ever being able to pay off our debt without owning a ship.

I get that money pits and failure is the expectation of trying your luck as a mercenary company. But the apparent upset some people have that you are not paying $40 for "Week two. Bank has repossessed our stuff. New game Y/N?" seems a bit odd.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 8, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Spectre's merc outfit ran entirely on bullshitium so why can't some goons hired on retainer for a deposed monarch

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xarbala posted:

Spectre's merc outfit ran entirely on bullshitium so why can't some goons hired on retainer for a deposed monarch
No see, treating my herd of Argus mechs as a unit of currency is more authentic because I can have my clantech-I mean, uh...

Though yes, for all the concessions we get so we can, you know, have fun. HBS Btech is probably the most paying your space bills heavy video game yet, isn't it?

"I blew up my Blackjack. It's gonna take 45 days to repair, during which time nothing else can be worked on. My protagonist is in the hospital for 60 days. Help."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 8, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Section Z posted:

HBS Btech is probably the most paying your space bills heavy video game yet, isn't it?

It's a game for mature audiences now. You need to be able to impart dread, fear, pain, and ultimately accomplishment into an audience of grown nerds, and what better way to do that than paying off your student battlemech debts?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Every mercenary contract I apply for I'm competing with 5000 other regiments that also have shadowhawks. :argh:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

And contracts are just so short term, even for ones requiring elite pilots in Assaults! The odds of follow up contracts from the same employer are abysmal.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The only contracts requiring less than 5 years experience are unpaid internships!

Bernie Clanners: 3020

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PoptartsNinja posted:

Huh, I thought you never had more than one Leopard that you start with.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Previously, they planned on having two leopards so you could drop two Lances at a time. Either two separate contracts, or for two different parts of one

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Section Z posted:

No see, treating my herd of Argus mechs as a unit of currency is more authentic because I can have my clantech-I mean, uh...

Though yes, for all the concessions we get so we can, you know, have fun. HBS Btech is probably the most paying your space bills heavy video game yet, isn't it?

"I blew up my Blackjack. It's gonna take 45 days to repair, during which time nothing else can be worked on. My protagonist is in the hospital for 60 days. Help."

"Sir, we salvaged a Timber Wolf! It's not even heavily damaged, so we can utilize this amazing piece of advanced tech as soon as --"

"yeah OK whatever, sell it in bulk with the rest of them"

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Pattonesque posted:

"Sir, we salvaged a Timber Wolf! It's not even heavily damaged, so we can utilize this amazing piece of advanced tech as soon as --"

"yeah OK whatever, sell it in bulk with the rest of them"

Calling it a Timber Wolf? Your chief mechtech may be a Clan spy. :tinfoil:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I can't wait until someone hacks the campaign to make it just an open, no-plot sandbox in the Leopard.

I actually kind of want to find a way to replace the Leopard with a bog standard Union Class and maybe introduce some (weaker) Argo style upgrades. I kinda doubt its possible though.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Anticheese posted:

Calling it a Timber Wolf? Your chief mechtech may be a Clan spy. :tinfoil:

No, he used a contraction, so not a Clanner. Or he's learnt how to, which means he's a fantastic spy, which means he can't possibly be a Clan spy, so still not a Clanner. QED

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't wait until someone hacks the campaign to make it just an open, no-plot sandbox in the Leopard.

I actually kind of want to find a way to replace the Leopard with a bog standard Union Class and maybe introduce some (weaker) Argo style upgrades. I kinda doubt its possible though.

If the streams are anything to go by, the bit where you go beyond the Leopard is a thoroughly optional and signposted mission. You should be able to stay away from the plot, massive loans aside, in vanilla.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Anticheese posted:

If the streams are anything to go by, the bit where you go beyond the Leopard is a thoroughly optional and signposted mission. You should be able to stay away from the plot, massive loans aside, in vanilla.

You're restricted to a handful of systems before you get the Argo unfortunately.

Also, the Leopard is a bit too restrictive, which is why I'd like to see a Union. :v: I mean I'll take a no story sandbox with the Argo for a second game, but part of me wants to do it without the special snowflake ship, even if it is an impractical boondoggle.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, they've said a number of times that you can just avoid that story missions and go full sandbox if that's what you wanna do. That said, not getting the Argo probably locks you out of tons of content, if not any of the actual procedural missions.

Edit: I love special snowflake ship, and will fight anyone who knocks it!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I am not knocking the Argo, its a loving awesome ship and so well thought out (I'd love to see more ships with folding hab sections like the Argo's).

But maybe for my second game I wanna just play random hard scrabble mercs in a crappy Union. :v:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I am not knocking the Argo, its a loving awesome ship and so well thought out (I'd love to see more ships with folding hab sections like the Argo's).

But maybe for my second game I wanna just play random hard scrabble mercs in a crappy Union. :v:

Overlord :getin:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Haven't really been keeping up with this game at all and I just want to check can I just go all tanks and aerospace or do I really gotta use mechs

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eej posted:

Haven't really been keeping up with this game at all and I just want to check can I just go all tanks and aerospace or do I really gotta use mechs

NOPE SORRY MECHS RULE AEROS DROOL

e: j/k flying ac20 strafes are in fact the best

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Eej posted:

You get no tanks or air support on your side, that was cut for time (or being too fiddly to actually be fun, I forget).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

At this stage I'm expecting it to be at least solidly successful, so there's good cause to hope for expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aw that sucks. If they don't have the time to implement that stuff I assume they don't have time for more fluffy stuff like AC's of the same rating differing in RoF/calibre but performing the same.