Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Veib posted:

Reminder that Ant Man decided to go full nazi because Polygon gave Witcher 3 the terrible, horrible, awful score of 8/10.

That's pretty dumb on Polygon's count. What a loving great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Also, when they bring up moments they liked in Balance, it's usually with the context of "that was super fun and I'm happy to have done that with my family."

It's not "I'm a literary genius because the internet tells me so."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, the latest ttaazz was a bit of an eye opener in terms of "the brothers v. criticism."

They're not perfect, but they certainly don't come across as bad as I've been told they do on occasion. Griffin likes to make music and create worlds. Nothing wrong with that. Also, I know he was just loving around again but I do hold out hope that Justin will, in fact, DM a game again. Surprised to hear his take on Augustus, as I can't picture him as a jerk. Too much of a gentle spirit.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, the latest ttaazz was a bit of an eye opener in terms of "the brothers v. criticism."

They're not perfect, but they certainly don't come across as bad as I've been told they do on occasion. Griffin likes to make music and create worlds. Nothing wrong with that. Also, I know he was just loving around again but I do hold out hope that Justin will, in fact, DM a game again. Surprised to hear his take on Augustus, as I can't picture him as a jerk. Too much of a gentle spirit.

I'm much more excited about the brothers challenging themselves to play characters who's attitude don't match their own rather than their identifiers.

Like, Justin struggling to make Augustus a jerk is waaaaaay more interesting than making sure any character is a $minority $minority $minority wizard.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Judge Schnoopy posted:

$minority $minority $minority

What the hell does $minority x 3 mean?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Fill in the blank, like a madlib of identifiers

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Justin did play a minority in Commitment and knocked it out of the park

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

That's pretty dumb on Polygon's count. What a loving great game.

Combat and inventory management are trash. 8/10 is fair.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Inventory sucks; combat is a lot of fun if you’re not looking for a Dark Souls helldeath experience.

Easily the most memorable game I’ve played in the last... five or even ten years?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The combat is extremely bland after a few hours.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Vargs posted:

Combat and inventory management are trash. 8/10 is fair.

Also, it was a buggy mess at launch

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

MTV Crib Death posted:

Griffin really needs to stop hammering arms outstrecthed as some kind of grand literary achievement.

for a moment I thought you were talking about the original livejournal post from which "arms outstretched" is pulled, and I was gonna say "no, gently caress you, it is that good"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have never heard Griffin pimping arms outstretched, for as far in as I am. Don’t confuse the fandom for official speech.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is what I mean when I say some of you just need to step back and unsub from TAZ for a bit.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pollyanna posted:

Don’t confuse the fandom for official speech.

This message should be appended to the front of every piece of media.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddamn stolen century owns so far

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I don't really know what Arms Outstretched is cause I think that was during the bit where I stopped paying attention

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tears In A Vial posted:

I don't really know what Arms Outstretched is cause I think that was during the bit where I stopped paying attention

Allow me to enlighten you.

http://www.coldplaycrybaby.com

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh, I thought arms outstretched was Merle and Taako pulling Magnus from death into his mannequin body.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

This may be the best $200 spent to shame someone ever

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pollyanna posted:

Oh, I thought arms outstretched was Merle and Taako pulling Magnus from death into his mannequin body.

I think it’s fair to say that moment, while nice, is a pale imitation of the Coldplay poem.

Pastrymancy posted:

This may be the best $200 spent to shame someone ever

Don’t forget hosting fees. Every month the proprieter of that website puts down cold hard cash to continuously shine a spotlight on their poet friend.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 7, 2018

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Pollyanna posted:

The music for that moment is called Arms Outstretched, which is a reference to the Coldplay thing. When people use the name, they're probably talking about the TAZ moment.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I will always treasure being at the live show for John Hodgeman’s dramatic recital, looming over me like a gargoyle. It was awesome.

I also got to ask the author how high she was during that and her response was “I wasn’t, I was just 14.”

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also re: people thinking Lup is too much like Taako, I think Griffin just liked Taako and wanted to try his hand at playing a character like him because it sounds fun as hell, and a twin is a good excuse v:v:v And just by virtue of being puppeted by Griffin, Lup is quite distinct from Taako.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 8, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Coffee And Pie posted:

I will always treasure being at the live show for John Hodgeman’s dramatic recital, looming over me like a gargoyle. It was awesome.

I also got to ask the author how high she was during that and her response was “I wasn’t, I was just 14.”

Hodgman played Newman in a production of Nigerian Seinfeld and "Gargoyle" is exactly the right term.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just finished the Amnesty mini-arc. Was fun! Enjoyed most of it, and it's weird how interested I am in seeing more of the West Virginia.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jesus loving christ this arc is :supaburn:

Hella railroady, though. I don’t mind much cause I’m into the story, but I can see the other three getting kinda annoyed over it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 8, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pollyanna posted:

Jesus loving christ this arc is :supaburn:

Hella railroady, though. I don’t mind much cause I’m into the story, but I can see the other three getting kinda annoyed over it.

They never do though is the thing

They're totally cool with it

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Blockhouse posted:

They never do though is the thing

They're totally cool with it

Justin Travis and Clint were 100% on board the storyline train, waiting to see where it would end up just like the audience. It's a great arc for the show.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess if they’re cool with it, I’m cool with it. :shrug:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think there comes a time where the DM has to take the reigns in order to make the story progress toward a conclusion. Can anyone with actual DnD experience confirm?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ariong posted:

I think there comes a time where the DM has to take the reigns in order to make the story progress toward a conclusion. Can anyone with actual DnD experience confirm?

If playing with friends, no.

If playing for a paying listening audience, almost always yes unless doing it extremely part time or doing little one-off adventures.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

I think most actual DnD story progress is "what kind of monster should I put in their path this week?" And there's no conclusion ever you just play for 30 years.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Ariong posted:

it depends on a lot of things, as well as how you do it. a D&D podcast is a different beast as well since you've got to work things for an audience. There's no real hard and fast rules to it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished Stolen Century.

:getin:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ok, thanks. I always find it interesting to hear how the dynamics of TAZ compare to a typical DnD game.

Pollyanna posted:

Finished Stolen Century.

:getin:

This is it!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I haven't played in over a decade, but I can say that at one point when I DM'd, my players decided to stand up a weird-rear end society where they were rebuilding a largely agrarian society to do some heavy industry, leaning very heavily on the abilities of a necromancer to raise skeletal or zombie slaves. We had a bunch of sessions of just building up a city while the most bored of the players roamed around the town and hunted treasure, barmaids, and broke into other players' chests of loot.

This was all to build up resources to leapfrog directly to a big baddie I'd laid out before by avoiding all my intended quests on that path, but I gotta say, when one option is to go on a massive quest with a few people and hope to god you live, building a society of relatively advanced tech backed up with companies of low level wizards and division-sized elements of undead to clear out all but the biggest baddies for you makes sense.

It was really fun for the group. It would've been the worst thing to listen to.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ariong posted:

This is it!

I can’t imagine what it was like for people listening live, but if it was anything nearly as hype as I’m getting, ho ho hooooly poo poo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Stolen Century and the ending definitely paid off for me when I binged it, even if there were parts beforehand that were clunky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pollyanna posted:

I can’t imagine what it was like for people listening live, but if it was anything nearly as hype as I’m getting, ho ho hooooly poo poo.

As you listen to the few remaining episodes, when you get to the end, imagine if you had to wait two weeks before listening to the next one. That should put you in a similar headspace.