Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

actionjackson posted:

Why is there no native way to adjust touchpad single click sensitivity? I have a 2012 MBA. There used to be I think (under trackpad), but it's no longer an option. For some reason it's gotten very sensitive, where it's hard to move my finger around the pad if I'm in the "click" region (bottom 2/3?) without things being highlighted and dragged around. It's driving me nuts.

A little late, but sometimes the clicky bits are due to a screw being too tight or loose. You can get to the screw under the battery if you are feeling frisky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It looks like 10.13.4 fixed all the graphical glitches I was having on my 2016 15" mbp. Really happy about that because I was having GPU failure flashbacks.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What's people's virtualization software of choice? This is primarily for Linux.

I don't care about having app windows float around or any of that poo poo. I just want the machine on it's own space. I've tried VirtualBox and was reasonably impressed. Is it worth checking out VMWare Fusion? Parallels kinda looks dumb. I never trust apps that need an installer. Since I swear they probably leave tons of poo poo behind after they are 'removed'.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ziploc posted:

What's people's virtualization software of choice? This is primarily for Linux.

I don't care about having app windows float around or any of that poo poo. I just want the machine on it's own space. I've tried VirtualBox and was reasonably impressed. Is it worth checking out VMWare Fusion? Parallels kinda looks dumb. I never trust apps that need an installer. Since I swear they probably leave tons of poo poo behind after they are 'removed'.

I use Fusion and have for years. That said VirtualBox is probably good enough for 99% of people's use cases. I use Fusion Pro, because it's easy to import my work lab ESXi VMs. Sometimes that's as far as it goes, but I can also push them to my home-lab ESXi which is nice.

If I didn't use that functionality (and work didn't pay for it), I'd probably be a VirtualBox user.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I use Parallels to do some software testing on Windows, and honestly it seems overkill for my needs (I don't want Windows software making GBS threads up my dock or trying to seamlessly integrate with my MacOS environment, I just want sandboxed Windows containers that I can reset with ease.). It works great performance wise on my 2013 15" rMBP (generally 2-3 VMs at once with 16GB RAM).

Only thing that sucks is they will try to rope you into paying yearly for updates -- I say just buy once every 3-4 years and get all the updates.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use VirtualBox because I'm cheap. These other fellers probably have the right of it paying a slight premium for a not-terribly-awful VM solution.

I prefer Parallels but only because I don't like VMWare.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I use VMWare Fusion. So sick of parallels pushy bullshit and bloat.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I used to use VMWare for everything, but have slowly moved over to 100% VirtualBox.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Did the High Sierra update change how the TouchBar behaves with regards to music in the background? I don't remember it giving me a scrub bar for iTunes when I was in another application.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I use VMware too because gently caress a yearly subscription.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I played with Veertu Desktop for a bit since that's really just a nice front-end for Apple's Hypervisor.framework and my virtualization needs weren't mission critical, but it appears completely dead now.

RIP, cool free thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone having problems with YouTube in Safari in the last few days?
I'm having to constantly reload pages as videos just stop playing after a few minutes being paused.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm having to constantly reload pages as videos just stop playing after a few minutes being paused.

are you using an adblocker? In my experience if you use an out-of-date adblock list or extension, things get weird when Google changes YT or attempts to block adblockers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

uBlock Origin had some update that busted the layouts on YouTube and Twitter yesterday. All I can do is turn it off to fix it.

I don't think I have any third-party filters checked that should wreck them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ufarn posted:

uBlock Origin had some update that busted the layouts on YouTube and Twitter yesterday. All I can do is turn it off to fix it.

I don't think I have any third-party filters checked that should wreck them.

Thanks, I'm using uBlock origin so it must be that

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
how many use windows full time on the mac?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Full time? Never. For games and stuff like developer mode in some office software or Visio? Yeah. It only takes like 90 seconds to boot into windows anyway.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Is there an app out there that can import old iMovie 6 files? I've got a bunch sitting on a hard drive that I'd like to be able to do something with.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SaintFu posted:

Is there an app out there that can import old iMovie 6 files? I've got a bunch sitting on a hard drive that I'd like to be able to do something with.

Doesn’t the latest version of iMovie import?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Proteus Jones posted:

Doesn’t the latest version of iMovie import?

It'll import the .dv files, but not the project.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SaintFu posted:

It'll import the .dv files, but not the project.

Did you try "Update Projects and Events..." in the File menu? That's the only other thing I can think of.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202853

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

nervana posted:

how many use windows full time on the mac?

My boss uses his 2014 rMBP for work, we're a Microsoft shop. He's booted into Windows every single time I see it.

I don't recommend it, but it's a thing you can do I guess.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

My boss uses his 2014 rMBP for work, we're a Microsoft shop. He's booted into Windows every single time I see it.

I don't recommend it, but it's a thing you can do I guess.

Yeah, if you're going to be using windows all the time on it, I'd probably recommend you get an actual windows laptop. You'll see a bit of a savings for more or less equivalent hardware quality (but not as much as you think). Plus you can probably kit them out with newer gen CPU/GPU and more memory (probably sacrificing battery performance).

The right tool for the job. And if that job is running Windows exclusively, a Mac is really not the answer.

I occasionally run Windows 10 on my Mac, but really just to test some p2exe builds. So, it's just a VM. I also have some VMs from my work or home lab that I run at times to do quick changes to test or to tweak them (Windows and Linux) and push them from VMWare Fusion Pro to the ESXi boxes in the labs.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

just lol if you think my boss cares about financial efficiency

we bought a laptop with a Xeon and 64 gigs of RAM because we needed someplace to put our MATLAB compiler license

your point stands, just saying. some people aren't terribly price sensitive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

just lol if you think my boss cares about financial efficiency

we bought a laptop with a Xeon and 64 gigs of RAM because we needed someplace to put our MATLAB compiler license

your point stands, just saying. some people aren't terribly price sensitive.

So what, he's got a tiny Mac install and running a bootcamp partition exclusively? That's... different.

Can you even update device drivers from within the Windows OS? Or does he have to occasional boot back into macOS to get driver updates? It's been so long since I've used BC I can't remember.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Windows drivers and macOS drivers are exclusive, just that Apple provides SOME Windows drivers but most of the hardware in a Macbook is generic enough that standard drivers work. Intel, AMD etc. Apple provides the stuff that deals with Apple stuff. High Sierra hosed his install for a while there because APFS and Boot Camp drivers couldn't read it, I don't recall how he fixed it and I don't care hahah, it is ridiculous to buy a Macbook and run Win10 exclusively.

Trust me I am not recommending this setup. It's so much cheaper to buy a dedicated Windows machine if that's what you need. I'm just saying it is something that, anecdotally, people do ...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to restore a time machine backup to a MBP with an installation already on it. I've tried migration assistant and booting into TM, but in both the Macintosh HD doesn't show up as a destination. What gives? I've turned off filevault and made sure the OS versions match.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boot into recovery (cmd-R) use DIsk Utility to blow away your partition, then boot recovery in 'Restore from Time Machine' mode.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

tuyop posted:

I'm trying to restore a time machine backup to a MBP with an installation already on it. I've tried migration assistant and booting into TM, but in both the Macintosh HD doesn't show up as a destination. What gives? I've turned off filevault and made sure the OS versions match.

Has the MacBook ever had High Sierra on it? Is the time machine backup high Sierra?

If so you need to find a way to install Sierra or lower first then upgrade to high Sierra then it will work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

Boot into recovery (cmd-R) use DIsk Utility to blow away your partition, then boot recovery in 'Restore from Time Machine' mode.

Ah, I didn’t format the current partition. I’ll do that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any way to get the Safari icon to show the progress of a download like the way Chrome does?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I’m trying to create an image of a user folder for backup purposes*. I tried disk utility > create image from folder but it hung for a couple of hours at 100% cpu and the size of the dmg never changed after reaching the size of the folder so I killed it.

I did the same thing again with hdiutil and same story. I’ll just let it sit overnight but I don’t think it’s going to work.

* I’m just trying to restore from a time machine backup of a 13” MBP to a 15”. Both running the current high sierra. I did a full reinstall of macOS and the restore seemed to work but my user accounts were all hosed up. Licenses weren’t applied, symlinks broken, all sorts of stuff. This wasn’t the case going from 15”->13” with the same process.

So I ran migration assistant from the time machine and the result on the “new” user accounts is good and now I just want to blow away the faulty users and rename the new ones. I don’t know why this has been all hosed up but I want to back up an image of the restored user folder just in case I’m missing something. I’m hesitant to reinstall and restore or migrate from scratch because that error errored out on me a few times already. Why is this being so hosed up?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 10, 2018

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Is there any way to get the Safari icon to show the progress of a download like the way Chrome does?

Kind of but not quite: make sure you download directory exists as a stack in the dock. It will then show you the progress, rather than the Safari icon.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

tuyop posted:

I’m trying to create an image of a user folder for backup purposes*. I tried disk utility > create image from folder but :words:
I’m hesitant to reinstall and restore or migrate from scratch because that error errored out on me a few times already. Why fubar?
Well, you left quite a few variables to solve for here. Are you actively using the account you want to back up? Disk encrypted? Can you [are you] use[ing] target disk mode from the 'other' computer? If not what is the destination drive and format?

Failing that, create a new Admin account and use it to manipulate your 'good' users' data. I'm not too familiar with HS OS, but have read that people have had some issues with accounts, especially when they are named 'admin', so maybe there's an issue within the file system :question:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The time machine disk is encrypted.

I’m trying to restore from a TM backup on an external APFS drive. I’m not using the user folder I want to backup and delete because I have a second admin account “newtuyop” that works mostly properly. That’s the user I’m using.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I run a script every two weeks via cron but due to how it works the expression is a bit janky, it will run on the 15th of the month if it lands on a weekday at 4pm (0 16 */15 * 1-5).

Is there a better way to schedule things in OSX? Ideally it would run every 14 days and if it misses the schedule for whatever reason (laptop off) it will attempt it as soon as the laptop is awake.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ashex posted:

Is there a better way to schedule things in OSX? Ideally it would run every 14 days and if it misses the schedule for whatever reason (laptop off) it will attempt it as soon as the laptop is awake.

Yes, launchd. You can buy a little app called Launch Control to make it really easy.

cron is a bit deprecated on macOS.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Pivo posted:

Yes, launchd. You can buy a little app called Launch Control to make it really easy.

cron is a bit deprecated on macOS.

Sweet, Launch Control appears to be what I was looking for. I was hoping to add a condition to only run when internet connectivity is around but apparently the KeepAlive condition for network state was deprecated :(

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Never done this, but this might help:

https://blog.slaunchaman.com/2010/07/01/how-to-run-a-launchdaemon-that-requires-networking/

http://launchd-dev.macosforge.narkive.com/0BQ07K9Z/launchd-how-to-specify-daemon-needs-to-wait-for-network-to-start

(you can always brute force and just block a shell script until a ping to a known-good WAN addy returns like 8.8.8.8 ... but quelle horrible!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

tuyop posted:

The time machine disk is encrypted.

I’m trying to restore from a TM backup on an external APFS drive. I’m not using the user folder I want to backup and delete because I have a second admin account “newtuyop” that works mostly properly. That’s the user I’m using.
Sorry, uncharted waters with the latest MacOS. If the OS can't do it, I would turn to an app, such as SuperDuper! and see how it fares.
If you figure it out—please let us know.